leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@leebmx said:

Great game, just amazed it is 0-0.

But this is what top international football is like. It has been a good game though, and it's only getting better.

I mean I am amazed its 0-0 (not that it is anymore) because there have been so many good chances. Don't think it has got much to do with it being International football, just lots of players left their shooting boots at home.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1554  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz

Oh boy...

PS:Well that failed to impress.

Germany!!!

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Well done Germany! Ya done nailed it!

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they were probably the best team overall. Just a shame Messi couldn't do it, love that guy.

Also Argentina will be gutted - the missed so many good chances.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

The german national team was great. They deserved the victory.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1558  Edited By DarthOrange

It was a good game. Argentina was clearly out of steam at the end and had crooked feet. Had it gone to penalties they would have lost anyway.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1559  Edited By TruthTellah
Oh Messi... Messi nooo.... ;_;

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markies said:

@leebmx: why surprised? Netherlands - Argentina went into overtime as well, it's quite similar.

I'm not surprised it has gone into extra-time. I am surprised that no-one managed to stick a chance away until right at the end when there were so many good chances. Higuain, Messi, Palacio and that's just Argentina.

This game is nothing like Netherlands-Argentina. That was sterile tactical battle with only one shot on goal the whole match. This has been an open attacking game with plenty of space and chances for both teams. The only similarity was the score at 90mins.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCKING YES!

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

You could say this game was.... Messi

Congratulations, Germany! Very rare for a European team to win in a Latin American country. The played hard and really deserved that win. Now they can take a replica of the World Cup trophy home cause FIFA doesn't let you have the real one.

embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck, the world Cup's over. Now what am I supposed to do?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a good game. Argentina was clearly out of steam at the end and had crooked feet. Had it gone to penalties they would have lost anyway.

Yeah, I was surprised Argentina did as well as they did, their forward line was crocked. Aguero not fit,Di Maria out, Palacio useless and Messi just seemed knackered, not himself at all.

I thought it would be easier for Germany but if the Argies had taken some of the chances that had come along it could have been very different.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#1565  Edited By obcdexter

Oh man ... I am so happy right now ... just so happy this went well ...
It's a damn shame that in sports it always ends with one side in tears - but after 2002, 2008 and a couple of CL finals I'm sure as all hell glad to be on other right now!
Anyway, I didn't win anything: Schweinsteiger, Neuer, Mueller and Co. did. So, so proud of those guys. Thank you! And thank you Joachim Loew, although this still doesn't make you a master tactician exactly, you sure as hell have deserved your place among the very best. The German national team has come a long, long way with him as the head coach. And what a successful one it turned out to be in the end.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1566  Edited By bacongames

There were some amazing honorable mentions, Costa Rica and Mexico chief among them for me, but I think the best team throughout the tournament won. I feel happy that this generation of German players gets their trophy.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GERMANY! GERMANY! GERMANY!!!!!!!

I do not know a lot about football, but I knew Group G was the group to watch and the Germany was my fav team to vote for. Great to see them play well and get what they deserved.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There were some amazing honorable mentions, for me most so Costa Rica and Mexico, but I think the best team throughout the tournament won. I feel happy that this generation of German players gets their trophy.

America did pretty awesome too.

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was rooting for Germany even though Im a spanish speaker. I really thought Argentina relied too much on Messi and Germany had the overall better team. Its been a long time since both of those teams have won a world cup but Germany got to the 2002 final. I did read the life story of messi so i kind of feel bad for him because he didnt win the cup. Klose on the other hand played his final world cup and he deserved the win to go with his record of most goals at world cups.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

@jazz_bcaz said:

@leebmx said:

But this is what top international football is like. It has been a good game though, and it's only getting better.

I mean I am amazed its 0-0 (not that it is anymore) because there have been so many good chances. Don't think it has got much to do with it being International football, just lots of players left their shooting boots at home.

A lot is at stake so most are just playing it safe, same can be said about MMA. Regular matches are usually fun with lots of punches and exciting play but when they're having a championship fight for the belt, it usually comes down to walking in circles around the opponent, trying to carefully jab the other and not create openings with not much punching at all.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1571  Edited By thesquarepear

Really happy for Klose getting a World Cup after getting so close the last 3 times. He has really shined playing for Germany (even though he's born Polish).

I wonder if Messi is still playing in 4 years. He seems burnt out.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch J-League. That's what I'm gonna do. Games are back on this week!

embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving the sepp blatter boos

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_e_martin: You can watch mexican soccer, Liga MX it starts next week!

majid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feel gutted for Messi because people (aka morons) will use this loss as ammo against him in the 'who is the best player' argument. As a side note, if anyone here, who is not a regular football watcher, enjoyed the World Cup you should check out the Champions League. It's way more exciting and is contested with all the top football clubs in Europe every single year.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle said:

@leebmx said:

@jazz_bcaz said:

@leebmx said:

A lot is at stake so most are just playing it safe, same can be said about MMA. Regular matches are usually fun with lots of punches and exciting play but when they're having a championship fight for the belt, it usually comes down to walking in circles around the opponent, trying to carefully jab the other and not create openings with not much punching at all.

Yeah, I don't think either team played that different to their normal selves. Argentina sat back and tried to hit on the break and the Germans looked to dominate possession and move the ball around quickly. I thought the final was pretty open to be honest, on another day it could have easily finished 3-2.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1577  Edited By a_e_martin

Oh cool, I'll have to look into that!

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1578  Edited By NegativeCero

Damn. I went Argentina on this, and they both had so many chances to score early on. But it was a good game for both teams. I'm just glad it didn't end in PK's, even if that means Argentina lost because I don't feel that is necessarily skill based victory.

Being new to watching it, there are still some things that irk me like having the clock run endlessly. The cynic in me make me think players play dirty by faking how serious injuries are to kill time. But whatever, I enjoyed my time watching the tournament.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of note this World Cup was Tim Howard's amazing job as Goalie on Team USA. He cemented the most saves in a World Cup game, and if Team USA had gone on further, he could have gotten even more of the attention he deserves.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lun49gameon said:

Hell yea! Be on the look out for Atlas and stay away from any team with a goat as its mascot!

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@majid said:

Feel gutted for Messi because people (aka morons) will use this loss as ammo against him in the 'who is the best player' argument. As a side note, if anyone here, who is not a regular football watcher, enjoyed the World Cup you should check out the Champions League. It's way more exciting and is contested with all the top football clubs in Europe every single year.

Yep, I love the World Cup because of all the romance, history and the fact it is such a big event, but the European Cup is the highest quality football anywhere in the world.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1582  Edited By hassun
No Caption Provided

Disappointing to see @danryckert behaving like this on twitter every time something world cup football is happening.

Behaving like a common internet troll? Really?

Also Dan, if you're reading this, people are not mentioning pro wrestling during your sad trolling attempts because they think wrestling is a sport. They mention it because they think pro wrestling is terrible / way worse than football.

It's not funny, it's the kind of behaviour people would be reprimanded for on Giant Bomb by the mods/staff.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1583  Edited By clush

@embryonic said:

Watch the Tour de France. Or at least watch tomorrow's stage, it will be epic (as much as I hate that word).

And then there's The International coming up by the end of the week.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

That was a beautiful goal to win the championship on.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1585  Edited By gokaired

Good for Germany, I liked how the leader of FA got booed but in a manner of perspective he has raised the game higher.

With that, Messi prolly didn't deserved the golden ball but he deserves to be among the greats, A shame Argentina didn't deliver on any of there chances. But that's Football.

I hope better comes to the Brazilian nation.

Oh and by the way, no one should be saying who's the best player when you include Ronaldo, Maradona, Pele etc, they are from different era's and therefore abide by different standards.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_e_martin said:

@lun49gameon said:

Hell yea! Be on the look out for Atlas and stay away from any team with a goat as its mascot!

Well, now I want to follow all the teams with a goat as their mascot, to see why I should stay away! Goats can (and should) be funny.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1587  Edited By Animasta
@humanity said:

it was pretty sick

majid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: Completely agree. It's petty, ignorant and reveals a great deal about himself than it says anything about football or football players. Also, harping on the crying thing is ridiculous: these guys are shattered having all played a full season and then contesting a world cup. These players are not wimps, they're elites.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Portland vs Seattle on tonight. The only major sport where we can keep the I-5/ OregonWashington rivalry alive! The fans just do. not. like each other at all! Battle for the northwest! Go Timbers!

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:
@humanity said:

it was pretty sick

He only looked at the ball, and in the right position in the box :)

@majid said:

@hassun: Completely agree. It's petty, ignorant and reveals a great deal about himself than it says anything about football or football players. Also, harping on the crying thing is ridiculous: these guys are shattered having all played a full season and then contesting a world cup. These players are not wimps, they're elites.

They carried the pride of a nation to, that's a lot to bear. Gits!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Portland vs Seattle on tonight. The only major sport where we can keep the I-5/ OregonWashington rivalry alive! The fans just do. not. like each other at all! Battle for the northwest! Go Timbers!

WOO TIMBERS

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@majid said:

It's really sad to see this ... makes me lose a lot of respect for Dan. Not because I'm butthurt it's "my sport" he's having a go at. It's just this super narrow minded, dickishly irrational behaviour of his. So what if a lot of people care a lot about something you do not? Can't you at least respect and tolerate that? And does he really lack the empathy to be able to even remotely comprehend what it must feel like for fans and, especially, players to lose the biggest game in the entirety if this sport? One that you have to scratch and claw to reach even once in your life, getting the opportunity to do so ONCE every FOUR years?
And the whole: Grown men don't cry-schtick ... jesus christ. Can't get any more ridiculous than this.
Well, until it does: "Ha, ha, I'm just trolling you guys!"

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a German I can express nothing but respect for Messi and I think it felt right that he won the "best player" award. If it had been anyone else I would have rooted for him. Incredible player.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That shit with Dan is embarrassing. People who feel the need to speak out about how much they hate soccer always remind me of those obnoxious atheists that feel the need to talk shit whenever anything tangentially related to religion comes up. What kind of pathetic pleasure do you gain from trying to piss people off who are enjoying themselves? If something isn't for you just ignore it. I dislike wrestling and thus I just ignore it. I don't go into the wrestling threads and talk down to everyone there who is having fun.

Anyway, speaking of religion I wonder how the pope took the loss.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#1596  Edited By bacongames
@majid said:

I might be wrong but I recall Dan not being a huge sports fan in general. It's kinda dumb to call out the crying because really, let's cut to every instance of a losing side crying at a championship; you'll see it in most every country and in most sports and competitions. It was just to get a rise out of people and frankly, it's the kind of shit I could do without from anyone on staff and it's the side of Dan I'll probably always disagree with.

Mostly though, I was disappointed at the implication of Dan holding a rather ignorant view of "men don't cry." I choose to believe he knows better than that and so at this time I'll leave it as a rather superficial comment.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1597  Edited By thomasnash

@majid said:

I think he was talking about the fans? But even so, mocking people for being passionate about something is pretty low, and something you'd think devotees of the much maligned hobby of video games might want to avoid.

Also, on the subject of the goal - my favourite thing about it was how the keeper had obviously decided there was no way he'd be able to put the ball past him on the left side, so had committed right. He looked pretty bloody surprised to see it sail past him!

danryckert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1598 danryckert  Staff

@hassun said:

Behaving like a common internet troll? Really?

Also Dan, if you're reading this, people are not mentioning pro wrestling during your sad trolling attempts because they think wrestling is a sport. They mention it because they think pro wrestling is terrible / way worse than football.

It's not funny, it's the kind of behaviour people would be reprimanded for on Giant Bomb by the mods/staff.

You know, I completely agree. Deleted the tweets as well. I've tried to tone down the heel-y trolling stuff recently, but soccer has been one of the things I've been a bit of a dick about my whole life. That's the way my dad always talked about soccer, and I guess some of it rubbed off on me.

Gonna try to cut that stuff out, which should be way easier now with the World Cup being done. It's not necessarily funny, and I shouldn't feel the need to get on some anti-soccer soapbox whenever I see people talking about it or paying attention to it. Apologies for being a dick, and you're totally in the right to call me out on it. Thanks!

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@animasta said:
@hurricaneivan29 said:

WOO TIMBERS

#RCTID GO TIMBERS

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@bacongames: You know what's more embarrassing than grown men crying? Someone organizing a world record attempt and then being the least participant & most to complain about how daunting it is while the others, who were asked to do it with him, go strong.