You ever do a complete 180 on a food you didn't like?

• 54 results
Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I know I'm gonna sound like a fool for this but Ive never been a huge fan of condiments in general, I didn't like ketchup until I was 20 years old. I have hated pickles for my whole life but recently if there is like one or two slices on a hamburger I'm cool with it but if they put like 5 slices on I have to pick them off but I will leave one or two in there. More recently though I have gone from thinking that BBQ sauce was just okay and usually overwhelming if there is more than a drop of it in a bite of food to now drowning stuff in it and craving the taste of the sauce more than what its going onto. I cant get enough! Its fucking weird!

Anyone else ever go through something like this? Should I be worried that I have a brain tumor or some shit like that? Have I just gotten less picky about food and now I'm becoming normal?

Whats next am I gonna start liking seafood? YUCK!!!!!!!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Taste changes over time depending on what the body thinks is good for you at the time. A lot of food people hate is stuff they ate as kids, that isn't suited for kids, like coffee.

I obviously can't speak for older generations, but how I interpret taste has changed heavily from childhood and up to my twenties. Just gotta keep an open mind man. Shit isn't always the same.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 27 so I thought I would be pretty set in my ways by now.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated whiskey when I was a kid. Also olives. These days I love everything a bit too much.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@dudeglove: I'm the same with cheese. Cheese and ham. I was a terrible child who hated both of these things. As a result the most basic of sandwiches was off limits for me. Now I love them both.

I used to think I hated vegetables as a kid, but then I found out my mother was just awful at cooking them.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By dagas

Olives, mustard, blue cheese are only some of the things I eat that I hated as a kid.

The only thing I can think of that I enjoyed as a kid but cannot eat now is frosted flakes. They are like 70% sugar.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yea, black coffee, dark chocolate, onions, other shit like that, but that is a common thing due to aging.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I used to not like Rice, but it turned out I just grew up eating gross rice that was not basmati or jasmine. Now I don't like potatoes.

shozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm seeing a pattern with olives. I hated them as a kid but now as an adult I tried some fancy kalamata olives and loved 'em. Slowly I started accepting other olives, perhaps I don't like cheap canned foods.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I had a weird thing where I hated (or thought I hated) cheeseburgers growing up. One year when I was older, I randomly ate when and thought "Hmmm....Ok...I get this."

I would prefer a plain burger or one that was focused on a sauce, like a BBQ burger, but I don't dislike cheeseburgers now. That's the biggest one for me probably.

Ibarguengoytia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ibarguengoytia

When I was little I couldn't eat peas, I picked them out from everything, I'm cool with them now. I still don't like most fruits because of textures, I won't eat them whole or peeled, but I will eat them if they are in a shake or slush.

Ashler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Broccolli. HATED them as a kid up until my 30th Birthday... Now the are my favourite thing to eat at every meal...

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Brussels sprouts. I think most people have it in their mind that they're disgusting from the time they were a child. They're just these smelly green balls that couldn't possibly taste any good with as bad as they stink. Well, yes, they do tend to smell pretty bad (especially when they're cold), but over the last year or so, I've come to love them. Properly steamed and prepared Brussels sprouts are absolutely delicious.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mushrooms.

Went from fuck no to hell yea at some point I couldn't point to when though.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meat. All meats. Absolutely repulsed by them when I was young. I now down meat left and right... that came out wrong...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Yeah a lot of vegetables mainly. When I was a kid I avoided them like crazy in a lot of cases and now I really like them. I think I found out exactly what I like. For example, I greatly prefer eating spinach in place of lettuce, which depending on the kind can suck.

Coffee my taste changed greatly for as far as I used to add a lot of sugar, now never add sugar to it and find that gross actually. A lot of that change came about from working as a barista.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Yes in a lot of ways. I used to douse everything in tomato sauce but now I'll only eat it with chips (fries for you US duders). I also used to dislike most vegetables but now like more than most. Also butter - used to douse bread and rolls in that too but now cant eat it - this obviously makes getting pre-made sandwiches, etc, kinda hard.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Few years ago sour cream. Now I love it, put it on a ton of stuff now

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to make no sense but:

One of the first time I ever went to a Mexican restaurant I had some complimentary nachos, and tried the salsa and guacamole naturally. I tasted the most heinous thing imaginable, the guacamole. I stayed away from it for years, and I'm the least picky eater imaginable. Well, I found out a few years later that it wasn't the guacamole I swore to never eat again, but the cilantro in the salsa! For whatever reason, having found this out, I tried guacamole again, and it wasn't bad, the real weird part, is once I found this out, I liked the taste of cilantro too.... So for whatever reason, finding out that cilantro and guacamole are two different tastes, I now like both.

I don't know either.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Pretty much most vegetables. Avoided pretty much all of it when I was a kid but now I find them really refreshing.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Salsa. I hated it growing up and into my late teens. It wasn't because of the spiciness (although I'm not a huge spicy food fan) I just thought it had horrible flavor, and just ruined perfectly good chips. Fast forward to being 25, needing food at a late work shift, and all they had was chips and salsa, and it was fucking delicious. I'm now 100% on the salsa train.

I also think I am coming around on guacamole. I had some a few weeks back and it tasted refreshingly good. I'll need some more tests on that one though.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hatking

@dudeglove said:

So when you're young, you basically have a better hearing range, right? The same goes for your taste buds, in that young kids are more sensitive to alkaloids in food. This is because most naturally-occuring things that contain alkaloids also tend to be highly poisonous, so your body/brain tells you "EWW GROSS DON'T DO THAT", even if the food isn't poisonous. There's scientific words for this phenomenon, so ask a doctor if you wanna know more.

There's other factors (for all I know you could be a heavy drinker and smoker, not to mention various societal pressures), but as you get older, this tastebud alkaloid sensitivity range thing decreases. It's for this reason that I didn't eat any cheese when I was younger, but will nowadays stuff it down my face.

That's interesting, and probably explains a lot about how my eating habits have changed. For instance, I used to hate veggies on my burgers. I thought it took something away. Masked the flavor. But as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate what a fresh tomato and crisp lettuce adds to a burger. To the point where I get disappointed when I go to some burger joint that doesn't put veggies on their burgers.

Except pickles. Still hate those!

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By imsh_pl

I always thought capers were kinda gross but you put a couple in a tomato sauce and MAN it's like levels of tastiness above.

I also didn't like whole wheat bread but now I often times prefer its rich taste to regular white bread (it's more dry though so it's not always an obvious choice).

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eggs rolls yo, egg rolls

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Olives basically and ofcourse red wine, but that's not that weird to dislike when you're younger. : )

The one thing I will never do a full 180 on in my lifetime? Cheese.
I hate it since forever. When I was young they tried to stuff it in my mouth with some bad results and I have tried it once in a while again, but it won't happen, man. It's a big handicap as well, because people automatically expect you to like cheese.
And yes, I never ate a pizza as well because of that. Also; I know a lot of people who don't like it, so it's not that uncommon.
Carry on :).

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Chinese Food- I did not eat any Chinese takeout till I was 16, before then I would never touch the stuff, now at age 21 I eat at my local place like 3 times a week. Something that is the other way around is pizza. When I was a kid, I would eat the shit out of a cheese pizza, now I won't touch the stuff, pizza is just too greasy and I feel terrible after I eat it

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avacados. Hated them as a child. Cannot get enough of them nowadays.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By penguindust

Liver immediately comes to mind. Well, I can't say it's my favorite thing ever, but when cooked correctly, I enjoy it as much as any other meat. Another is guacomole. I detested it as a kid, but these days, I'd order it on a burger or any Mexican food. I only turned around on it a few years ago, so for decades it was on my "ick" list.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

onions are still disgusting after 30+ years, guess whole grain foods, didn't like em much as a kid, now i eat em for the fiber and come around on them.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avacados. Hated them as a child. Cannot get enough of them nowadays.

Same here. It was a hard swing into the correct side, too.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone lives in the Columbus, Ohio area, Hot Chicken Takeover enabled me to stop worrying and love Mac and Cheese. A complete 180.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By villainy

Knowing about the whole tastes changing with age thing I made an effort in my 20's to retry thing I knew I hated as a kid. Turned out I had come to like tomatoes, onions, and fish (in sushi form, still don't like cooked fish for some reason). Hell I'm in my 30's now and just learned this year that I like mustard now! I've entered a whole new dimension for hot dogs and soft pretzels!

Pickles continue to be fucking awful.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Ben_H

I used to refuse to eat fish or seafood of any type as a kid. Now I'll eat most plainer, white fish (tilapia, cod, pike). Still no salmon or any seafood though. I have agreed to try lobster next time I'm at a restaurant and someone is having it though.

I've actually had the reverse of this thread happen. I used to love eating all sorts of meat, but now I don't really like a lot of it. I don't really like ground beef (it always tastes greasy to me, even if I drain it like crazy and cook it practically dry), any cut of beef that isn't super duper lean (I hate the taste and texture of beef fat), pork fat of any type which basically makes stuff like pulled pork a no-go (I still like bacon if it is cooked crispy, but that's about it), and especially things like ribs if they aren't trimmed at all.

I honestly think within a year or too I will be eating chicken and fish only or going full vegetarian.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BisonHero

I came around on asparagus.

Pickles, olives, and mushrooms are still the worst, and if you eat them you are a bad person.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Tomatoes! Used to hate em, now I love em. Except for sun-dried tomatoes. Just thinking about those makes me gag.

Spinach to a lesser degree as well. I'm still not that big on it, but can enjoy a spinach pastry now and again.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea as a child I hated a lot of vegetables and fruit such as spinach, tomatoes, and avocados, but I love that stuff now.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#39 sgtsphynx  Moderator  Online

The first time I ever ate crab was in crab salad when I was 12 and I fucking hated it. Didn't eat it again for 21 years until my brother's birthday in May, I actually think crab is pretty good.

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think it's pork loin for me, but that's only because at some point I started cooking them myself and I actually know how to cook a damn pork loin.

Fools what raised me not using any spices? Holy hell.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of my 30's has consisted of me being WAY into food that I previous just had no interest in. The only food for me that never stuck was corn. Literally anything else post 30 I decided I liked after trying it again.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started eating right (well, eating *better*) a little over two years ago, so I guess almost everything in my diet could count. Still really don't like dressing, though, and I really wish people didn't keep serving me drenched salads growing up; otherwise, I might've made the transition a little earlier.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#43 FinalDasa  Moderator

Salad and beer.

I first tried beer after my mom let me sip some of her's and HATED it. Didn't help she drinks extremely light beer but man was it rough. College and peer pressure would change that two or three years later but I didn't expect to enjoy beer.

I would always order everything plain. Cheeseburgers were meat and cheese only. Even when I wanted to try salads I was told that I should try plain lettuce with salt on top (horrible idea). Eventually I started trying more mixed salads (started with ranch since I knew I liked that) and progressed from there. Now I'll eat pretty much any kind of salad and salad dressing.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yes. It happens often when you become a real adult.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Beer. Until about two years ago I thought beer was disgusting. People used to give me shit about it too, doing the whole "You gotta teach yourself to drink beer" thing. No matter how hard I tried, it just wouldn't go down. Then I had a wheat beer at a friend's birthday party and liked quite a bit. Turns out the lager my friends drank was just gross and cheap. Wheat beer and pale ale is my thing now.

I wouldn't say I've done a complete 180 on it, but I used to find Swedish split pea soup absolutely horrible. Last time I tried it tasted a bit better though.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greek Yogurt. I used to find it too tart but I love it now. Going back to other yogurt is far too sweet

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By StrikeALight

Yeah, I recently ate mussels on holiday (or Moules-frites,to be more precise) which completely changed my overall negative opinion on mollusk shellfish.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Not sure where you live, but have you ever tried Siggi's before? It's skyr (Icelandic yogurt) with little-to-no added sugar and I can't get enough of it. Kind of expensive, but worth it.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Olives.

Man I am so glad I turned around on those, I love olives. Especially with some kind of chili involved.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@habster3: I'm from Australia but I'll keep an eye out thanks