Your opinion on Anime/JRPG Game undubs

neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By neoyamaneko

In my opinion, if half the anime nerds even knew how to speak Japanese, they would know that the dialogue in these things are over the top goofy in both English and Japanese.  It's either because it's cheeziness that they can't decipher, so it's tolerable, or they are just your rank and file weeaboo that's like "Japanese good, English and all other languages baaad".  I speak both English and Japanese and half the time when I'm playing a JRPG with voice acting, I just turn off the voices altogether because they are annoying in either language.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yes its annoying in most jrpgs the voices that it when they aren't saying any thing worthwhile. But when they are i don've have a problem, unless its in japanese where its usually use squaky for some reason. I.E hello japanese producers there is such a thing as puberty.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

You are right that the dialogue would sound just as cheesy if one actually understood Japanese.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheGremp

I think half the reason I always watch in Japanese is the fact that I don't speak it.  Thus, I won't even notice it if the voice acting is bad.  I also enjoy learning little things about Japanese culture and phrases, so I'm learning a little elementary-level Japanese along the way lol...

As far as I can tell, a good English voice actor is rare in anime/JRPGs...  The only decent ones I've heard are some of the cahracters in Persona 3 and 4.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Hamst3r

This is why:

Dubbed-in voices are shit compared to the original voices.
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Hamst3r said:

"  
This is why:

Dubbed-in voices are shit compared to the original voices. "
Which still doesn't detract from the fact that if you could speak and understand Japanese that you'd think the original voices were just as bad.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By atejas

There's a reason that people would rather watch Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in The Shell or FullMetal Alchemist with their dub- because they have good ones.  Unlike the majority of such things that get translated.

As for games, I always only have access to them in their dubbed version, so it's not that big a deal.

Avatar image for psyborg0815--DEFUNCT
psyborg0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By psyborg0815

I play games with japanese voices, if I have the option because the original voices fit the characters better most of the time. 
Also: Some voice actors like Aya Hirano as Polka in Eternal Sonata or Norio Wakamoto as Joe Hayabusa in Ninja Gaiden are too good to play the games in English.

Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wright

if you can't speak japanese but you like the sound of the original voices better, then who cares?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Maybe because usually the actors a) are better and b) fit the characters more, whereas the dubs tend to be shoddy and quickly done with little thought? I mean, often you even have famous actors doing voices for the Japanese versions, then some no-name asshats for English, because they aren't going to waste twice that money for good actors in two languages, or more. And yes, there's also the case of the actors being just as bad, but you can't tell in Japanese so it's easier to deal with, than cringe all the way through a dub you understand. What's hard to understand?

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By slinky6

It really depends on what it is.   For example I can't stand Neon Genesis Evangelion in English, but I prefer Cowboy Bebop in English.   Some are done well, some aren't.   But I also hate those Japanophile fucks that don't actually know Japanese but instantly disregard anything English.   It's fine if you prefer the Japanese track, but don't tell me I'm an idiot for not hating it.   

Ah, what the fuck am I talking about.   The truth no one likes to admit is that animes and JRPGs suck no matter what language they're in.   I still play JRPGs and watch anime despite this, so I must hate myself.   But whatever, it's true.

neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Wright said:

" if you can't speak japanese but you like the sound of the original voices better, then who cares? "

If you have to ask that question....then....nevermind. o_O
Point being is that just because you think they sound cool doesn't mean that they are actually using cool voices.   In Japan, people that aren't into anime and JRPGs in a big way by and large just facepalm when they hear how over the top they go.   They sound to their ears like Aquaman from "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" or Space Ghost would sound to an American.
Avatar image for psyborg0815--DEFUNCT
psyborg0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By psyborg0815
@neoyamaneko: I think no one really believes that japanese people talk like anime or game characters :/ 
                                 ... but I dont want my big breasted loli to have a serious adult voice!  =^_^=
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain

I certainly don't watch a huge amount of anime these days, or play a huge amount of JRPGs, all I know is that if the English VA's are terrible, and because I don't know enough about the language to understand the Japanese one is bad as well, the Japanese voice will be nicer to listen to. 

There are also legitimate cases where the Japanese voice acting is FAR superior to the English, One Piece, Bleach, etc. Likewise there are cases where the English VA is done really well and is markedly better than the Japanese, Cowboy Bebop being a prime example. 

I'll listen to whatever sounds best to my own ears, however, I prefer to have the option, lack of option pisses me off immensely.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By penguindust

Wait a minute...Space Ghost doesn't sound cool? 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

lol sorry every one i just reread my post and its bad...I have no idea why i was posting 8 hours ago when i was pretty much half asleep, bu you can see the result...

RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RLLink

Most people just prefer Japanese voices because... Yeah. It's hard to tell if the voices fit or not, since most of the time the female character's voices are way too freaking high pitched in Japanese. My ears start bleeding most of the time.
It could be that they're quote weeaboo unquote as well. I've seen people automatically say that the Japanese voice fits better when they don't understand jack shit what is going on. That or it's just a fetish or something, who knows. I prefer English voices most of the time, I don't find them to be that bad. I merely want to understand what's going on since I know how inaccurate subtitles could be. Not saying it can't be bad, but it's not like Japanese voice acting is always good either. So I'm kind of in the middle. Play with both/listen to both on animes.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Hamst3r
@neoyamaneko said:

Which still doesn't detract from the fact that if you could speak and understand Japanese that you'd think the original voices were just as bad. "

Which is where you're 100% wrong. I just showed you the proof.

Is Shirogane in GoLion Swedish? Is that a Japanese guy doing a really bad Swedish accent? No, it's not.

In the American version, they made Shirogane Swedish, named him Sven. What the fuck? That's horrible. He should have just been Shirogane and sounded plain-ass American.

That's where the Japanese version is superior.

Here's another example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYamAPyMLTE

Everyone sounds Japanese. It's not Japanese people pretending to be another ethnicity. Also, the voices are more serious sounding than the English version of that scene.
damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By damswedon

i asked on AnimeVice, Dubs or Subs? and its quite split.
for me it depends on the game and the quality of the voice work. i swapped to japanese on eternal sonta because it was horrible, but mostly i stay with the english track.

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By CSXLoser
@Dasacant said:
" This thread has made me think, how bad where the Jpanese Star Ocean 4 voices? "
I remember someone saying that they were bad and cheezy as well. But I'm willing to bet its better than the English voices...

I dont care what language its in as long as there's subtitles. HECK EVEN IF THE VOICES ARE IN ENGLISH!!!   I cant stand watching movies without subtitles. Same thing for long ass JRPG cutscenes.
neoyamaneko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By neoyamaneko
@Hamst3r said:

" @neoyamaneko said:

Which still doesn't detract from the fact that if you could speak and understand Japanese that you'd think the original voices were just as bad. "

Which is where you're 100% wrong. I just showed you the proof.  Is Shirogane in GoLion Swedish? Is that a Japanese guy doing a really bad Swedish accent? No, it's not. In the American version, they made Shirogane Swedish, named him Sven. What the fuck? That's horrible. He should have just been Shirogane and sounded plain-ass American. That's where the Japanese version is superior.  Here's another example:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYamAPyMLTE  Everyone sounds Japanese. It's not Japanese people pretending to be another ethnicity. Also, the voices are more serious sounding than the English version of that scene. "
No you didn't....that video is restricted for people living in Japan to watch.   But I have seen GoLion/Voltron here in Japan and found it to have been just as cheezy. 

A few things:
1) Voltron is pre-Anime boom 80s.  Japanese nomenclature and culture was still lost on a majority of westerners.  Around this same time this series hit the States, a movie called "Sixteen Candles" came out.  They named a Japanese guy "Long Duk Dong".   Many anime was localized for the part of the world they came out in.  Just turn to Univision and you can see Captain Tsubasa....as Oliver and the anime is called "Super Campiones".  I won't even go into the Mazinger stuff in France and Arab countries.

2) When famous American cartoons like "PowerPuff Girls" are made into anime, they end up changing the names and the voices are pretty damn bad.  The "Stitch" anime has people talking with a forced Ryukyuu/Okinawan accent.  Do you forgive those? 

3) Japanese voice actors do pretend to be foreigners...and not in a flattering way.  They either make the person speak both broken Japanese and bad English or just throw up their hands and have everyone everywhere on the planet speak fluent Japanese.

4) Finally, the fact that you refuse to acknowledge Voltron and despite not knowing Japanese, you want to say that it's "superior" and "the voices are more serious sounding than the English version" tells me that you are one of "them", so your mind is already made up.