• 91 results
rlhyeung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rlhyeung

On a whim, I made a redesign of the Giant Bomb logo. I started thinking about how cutting edge and modern the new site design looked (from what we could see based on the talk show), and the current logo just seemed too goofy. Now I'm not saying my logo fits the mantra and style of Giant Bomb, but it was designed to be more sleek and modern looking (hence the Helvetica-type font). Let me know what you guys think!

No Caption Provided
BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BoFooQ

terrible idea, don't fix what isn't broken

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

Needs more Comic Sans.

BravoJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BravoJade

Wait... what talk show? As for your logo, I can't get past how much I dislike the colors used.

firecreed17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By firecreed17

Your font has that modern look. I would avoid italics in that particular font. The main element that breaks the design is the bomb design. It looks too vintage and old, something from an old advertisement. Honestly I can't stand the current design trends most logo design are nowadays. They lack character and are too sterile for me. Nice first round, I would go back and redesign the bomb. For inspiration look up Chip Kidd's bookcovers and particularly how he does illustrations.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ramone

I can see where you're coming from with the whole hipstery-minimalist-Olly Moss-eque aesthetic but it doesn't really fit at all with the site as it is.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DelroyLindo

Not a fan. But I also think the current logo is a pile of shit

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pox22

Maybe if you used papyrus font. That would make it highly original and modern.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wacomole

Maybe pop over to a site like dafont and grab yourself a bunch of new typefaces as that italic one, to me, just screams "This is all I had on my system" rather than "this is a conscious design decision".

It might also have been a better choice to have used the established bomb character (or at least some element of it) in your design.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Nothing wrong with the current logo.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmilingPig

The bomb looks like it has hope... I don’t want my bomb to have hope, I want it to be crazy.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

If anything the logo and text make it look like a poster for something from the 60's.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Abstract Bomb is pleased.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

A few people in this thread need to be reminded of the number one rule of Giant Bomb: DON'T BE A JERK. Now I'm going to have to waste my time cleaning this thread up and sending out warning PM's. Thanks guys. I love all this extra work.

You're welcome to have negative opinions, but comments acting like complete assholes are not welcome. Try to be constructive with your criticism, not just "OH GAWD THIS LOOKS AWFUL!!!". That adds nothing to the discussion and makes you look like a bad person.

@mooncake: I think your new logo is cool. Minimalistic and clean, which is where modern logo designs are going. Something along those lines would probably fit the new site perfectly.

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By betterboulder

Eh. I think it looks pretty alright.

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

Matty's right. I was definitely being a jerk just now. Sorry.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like is the bomb's face. Something just seems off about it. The colors, the design of the "O" in "Bomb", and the font, however, are all great.

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rabid619

Yeah I'm not a fan of it. It's a bit bland for me, and I'm of the belief that the current logo is absolutely perfect for the site.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm

"Oof! Sonofa!"

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By CaLe

It seems like it's trying too hard or something. The current logo is bombastic and in your face, which more suits the tone of the site I feel.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thebatmobile

Holy shit, all the assholes just came out of hiding. What the hell, duders.

Nice going with the redesign though. I like it! It might not be needed, but it's still a cool design.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dagbiker

Maybe its because, as a sign designer, I see Helvetica all the time. But Helvetica looks fucken ugly. Try Century Gothic, or Avenier. Whichever one is the thicker one.

It looks like you might have done it in vector, but I cant really tell. For a few tips, Only use a couple colors, your color choices arnt too bad, but its easer to see logos with fewer colors by their shape, then a bunch of colors, by thier shape. Also use bolder Fonts, you want to be able to read the words. If you need to use Kerning.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CountPickles

the logo should be all the guys applauding and laughing.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Hizang

I am sorry, but I am not too keen on this design. It's not that it looks bad, it just doesn't really represent what i think Giant Bomb means.

CrystaljDesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CrystaljDesign

I used to not be a fan of the current logo, but I have grown to love it over the years. Making a new "modern" version is a fun exercise but to replace the current one would kill a part of the site's "soul" in my opinion.

That being said, I am a graphic designer by trade and I like some of your type treatment (not so much the italic) but the bomb does not read well. I was barely able to make it out because of the texture and similar colors used. The best logos have high contrast (like the white and red in the current logo), maybe make the "O" solid red and have the bomb shape cut out of it.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Elazul

I have to say, I'm not really a fan. I think the red is a bit too pale, the two fonts clash far too much and the bomb face is very indistinct, due to a lack of contrast in the features. You should definitely rework the colour scheme and seriously consider getting rid of that Helvetica as it's extremely over-used and just doesn't suit the site at all. Also bear in mind that if you want to use a black font, you'll have to give it an outline so that it's visible against the inevitably black background (or at least header) that the new site will have.

Overall, I can see the potential. Don't be put off by the negative comments and have a go at refining it some once you've got a good cross-section of feedback.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Teddie

This thread inspired me to make two things:

this
this
and this.
and this.

Agreeing with everyone saying "modernizing" the logo doesn't suit the character of the site. I still hate the way the bomb looks in the original logo though.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By renmckormack

I like how the Bomb looks like Porky Pig coming out out of the Looney Toons Logo

Reference for all the norsemen and ladies on this site.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By supermonkey122

Do not want.

rlhyeung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rlhyeung

Woo! That was a tough crowd in here before! Eye-opening, and quite educational: never experienced such negative backlash before. It was much needed if I am to become a designer (game and/or otherwise).

But thanks for all the constructive feedback given! I will say that the bottom "italics" font was put there just for fun. I liked how it looked like a logo for an old time radio show, or a vintage car. But yeah, not really what I was going for, so the top two were the actual "redesign".

Also, I think everybody is right in saying that it doesn't fit the tone of the site. As I said before, it was never meant to be aligned with the tone and atmosphere of the site, but more about modernizing the look (especially if you guys have seen the new design of the website, which may I say, looks stunning!)

I thought I was done with this fun exercise, but all this good feedback has inspired me to try something more bombastic (whilst trying to modernize).

@Teddie said:

This thread inspired me to make two things:

and this.
and this.

Agreeing with everyone saying "modernizing" the logo doesn't suit the character of the site. I still hate the way the bomb looks in the original logo though.

In some ways, your modern version actually succeeds more than mine. (It is definitely way more minimalistic).

Anyway, thought you'd all want to know, the "O" was actually supposed to be the "explosion" from the bomb. It doesn't make sense logically, as a bomb can't exist after its exploded, but I thought artistically it looked interesting. Hence the gradient of colours coming out from the bomb, the spark that has reached its end, and his sort of happy face that he's exploded (Remembering that Jeff said the bomb on the logo was supposed to be happy it was exploding). All in all, it was supposed to represent a post-era of Giant Bomb, moving into a new era.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By 1337W422102

I'm not feeling it, duder.  I don't find it reflects the spirit of the Giant Bomb in its cleanliness, if that makes any sense.

CrystaljDesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CrystaljDesign
yaaaay!
yaaaay!
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By breadfan

Kill it with fire!

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By williamhenry

Its okay, but it needs a lot of work. Your font choice is poor. They're all modern style fonts, but they all feel so bland. Nothing wrong with crisp, clean type, but the type you have is just so boring. There are tons of modern style fonts out there. Try some better ones that don't look so generic. There is virtually no contrast in the actual bomb logo either. If you shrunk it down it would lose all of its details. Putting texture on the bomb while leaving the text clean is awkward. Either have texture over the entire logo, or don't use texture at all.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By stinky
No Caption Provided

me too.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dagbiker
No Caption Provided
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Don't temper with things that can explode.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By geirr  Online

I hope this is a joke. (:

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By The_Nubster

It needs more silliness. The current bomb looks fucking pumped as fuck to be a bomb, man. Look at that motherfucker! He probably loves blowing up! If there were to be a new logo, I wouldn't be against it being clean or modern, but some element of wackiness needs to be kept in there.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zeforgotten

The actual bomb looks weeeird

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By EuanDewar

I want a redesign, I effin despise the current logo

It looks like death

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laserbolts

A redesign wouldn't hurt but those are pretty bad.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43  Edited By GS_Dan

Hmm. Might have a go.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#44  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I can see what you were going for but I'm not a fan.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#45  Edited By Kidavenger

I think the current logo is great, makes me think of Inspector Gadget for some reason.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Peanut

The current logo looks pretty shitty just because the Bomb looks...dumb. I never bought any of the original GB merch because I think it's lame as fuck. I would even prefer if the bomb had no face at all.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By wrecks

Good effort, fits in with the way current corporate logo design is heading (see Microsoft) but I actually love the current design. It matches the inherent goofiness of the bomb crew where a modern, minimal aesthetic would not at all.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vexxan

Looks good but I don't think there's anything wrong with the current logo.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Scooper

@MattyFTM said:

@mooncake: I think your new logo is cool. Minimalistic and clean, which is where modern logo designs are going. Something along those lines would probably fit the new site perfectly.

I think it looks gash to be honest. The logo is undefined and messy and you can barely tell what it is.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By stinky

someone mentioned you picked an inappropriate font, its not true. that seldom ever is.

think your choice was fine. but i also think you could have stuck to your guns and done a bit more with simplicity in terms of bomb use.

using your design, clearing away some clutter and avoiding pink, i wouldn't be ashamed of what you had.

your bomb mouth doesn't overlap an eyeball (pro tip: they never do) so i think you have one up on the original artist.

No Caption Provided