Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Edited By I_smell

HELLO.

Steam

My game comes out on Steam TODAY. 10am PST, I think. I'll be sending out a few thousand steam codes to all the people that bought it already today.
It got greenlit on November 30th 2012. Getting on Steam is a big deal- how big a deal? I dunno! I've never done it before!
I made this game over a year ago, and I'm not that big a fan of it any more. I'm excited and nervous about how this'll sell, cos it COULD mean that I can spend the next few months, or year, working on a brand new idea!! (future ideas will be much better than this fuckin thing)

Quandry

Speaking of new ideas: I made a prototype about a month ago, and something interesting came up. Remember when I asked how Bully would work with all girls, and I just got called out on being sexist for 8 pages? Well in brainstorming ideas, I actually formed a game I thought would be pretty cool. It's like a decision-based emergent adventure game like Walking Dead, except you do High School and make friends n enemies that way. So I crapped out a hundred randomly generated names n copy-pasted a tonne of facebook posts and stitched this together.
After a while I stopped cos it's a lot of database stuff and some writing, and that's not fun to do. Which is worrying, right? I ENJOY making fast-paced combat games and comedy games and all this animation, but on the other hand I wanna make this lil thing, or a big world-travelling Final Fantasy adventure game, but that would be a huge slog to make... and if I'm not enjoying the work then why bother being independant, right?
In the future, am I gonna only make the kind of games I enjoy making, or am I gonna push myself through work I don't like? I dunno!

Back to things I like: I had a huge burst of energy yesterday and planned out something I wanna prototype. If this Steam game goes well, I'll get started on this:

JetGetters

Y'know those badass videos of people hopping out of jets in Battlefield? This is a whole game built around that. You fly a jet around, like an Ace Combat dog-fighting game, and at any time you can eject out.
Up in the air, you can see people flying around, and can freefall down and use a Just Cause grappling-hook to nab onto a foe and steal their jet. Up in the air, you are very easy to kill, because men are not made of metal, although you can turn in place and shoot in any direction, because men are not the size of jets.

Instead of stealing someone's jet, maybe you just wanna shoot them and get back in yours. This is OK, because you can call your jet back to you like the hammer of Thor. If someone destroys or steals your jet while you're not in it though, you'll have to just float there in a parachute and (probably) get shot to death.

In freefall, you can also catch missiles in mid-flight and steer them around. You might want to grapple someone else in freefall and wrestle their parachute away from them.
In jet-form you might want to aim at a falling team-mate and catch them, or let them ride on you. You might want to launch your million-dollar aircraft at a foe and eject out just in time. If someone tries to hijack you, you'll have to shake them off, or fly straight downwards and eject at the last second.
Recharging your resources wirelessly within an area around your base will encourage everyone to stay close together.

That's the idea. I hope I can prototype it soon. The game is a dog-fight combat game, except you can ditch the jet and go hands-on in an idiotic twist. You and your friends can have fun swapping jets in the sky, and catching each other. Class-based? WHO KNOWS!!! I don't!

That's it.

I have a couple other prototypes: A 1x1x5 rubix cube with letters on it where you have to make every side spell a word... possible iOS game?
A beat-em-up couched within a scrolling shooter that's lookin really good...
Have this idea for a Final Fantasy without the combat, that focuses on the feeling you get from just exploring towns and shopping...
but I don't wanna make this post like 20 pages long, y'know? Anyway, just an update! I'm super pumped about JetGetters, I just started planning that yesterday.

That was it.
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By I_smell

HELLO.

Steam

My game comes out on Steam TODAY. 10am PST, I think. I'll be sending out a few thousand steam codes to all the people that bought it already today.
It got greenlit on November 30th 2012. Getting on Steam is a big deal- how big a deal? I dunno! I've never done it before!
I made this game over a year ago, and I'm not that big a fan of it any more. I'm excited and nervous about how this'll sell, cos it COULD mean that I can spend the next few months, or year, working on a brand new idea!! (future ideas will be much better than this fuckin thing)

Quandry

Speaking of new ideas: I made a prototype about a month ago, and something interesting came up. Remember when I asked how Bully would work with all girls, and I just got called out on being sexist for 8 pages? Well in brainstorming ideas, I actually formed a game I thought would be pretty cool. It's like a decision-based emergent adventure game like Walking Dead, except you do High School and make friends n enemies that way. So I crapped out a hundred randomly generated names n copy-pasted a tonne of facebook posts and stitched this together.
After a while I stopped cos it's a lot of database stuff and some writing, and that's not fun to do. Which is worrying, right? I ENJOY making fast-paced combat games and comedy games and all this animation, but on the other hand I wanna make this lil thing, or a big world-travelling Final Fantasy adventure game, but that would be a huge slog to make... and if I'm not enjoying the work then why bother being independant, right?
In the future, am I gonna only make the kind of games I enjoy making, or am I gonna push myself through work I don't like? I dunno!

Back to things I like: I had a huge burst of energy yesterday and planned out something I wanna prototype. If this Steam game goes well, I'll get started on this:

JetGetters

Y'know those badass videos of people hopping out of jets in Battlefield? This is a whole game built around that. You fly a jet around, like an Ace Combat dog-fighting game, and at any time you can eject out.
Up in the air, you can see people flying around, and can freefall down and use a Just Cause grappling-hook to nab onto a foe and steal their jet. Up in the air, you are very easy to kill, because men are not made of metal, although you can turn in place and shoot in any direction, because men are not the size of jets.

Instead of stealing someone's jet, maybe you just wanna shoot them and get back in yours. This is OK, because you can call your jet back to you like the hammer of Thor. If someone destroys or steals your jet while you're not in it though, you'll have to just float there in a parachute and (probably) get shot to death.

In freefall, you can also catch missiles in mid-flight and steer them around. You might want to grapple someone else in freefall and wrestle their parachute away from them.
In jet-form you might want to aim at a falling team-mate and catch them, or let them ride on you. You might want to launch your million-dollar aircraft at a foe and eject out just in time. If someone tries to hijack you, you'll have to shake them off, or fly straight downwards and eject at the last second.
Recharging your resources wirelessly within an area around your base will encourage everyone to stay close together.

That's the idea. I hope I can prototype it soon. The game is a dog-fight combat game, except you can ditch the jet and go hands-on in an idiotic twist. You and your friends can have fun swapping jets in the sky, and catching each other. Class-based? WHO KNOWS!!! I don't!

That's it.

I have a couple other prototypes: A 1x1x5 rubix cube with letters on it where you have to make every side spell a word... possible iOS game?
A beat-em-up couched within a scrolling shooter that's lookin really good...
Have this idea for a Final Fantasy without the combat, that focuses on the feeling you get from just exploring towns and shopping...
but I don't wanna make this post like 20 pages long, y'know? Anyway, just an update! I'm super pumped about JetGetters, I just started planning that yesterday.

That was it.
audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#2  Edited By audioBusting

Oh cool, I backed your game on Kickstarter and voted for it on Greenlight! Congrats on being on Steam, I hope it goes well for you.

JetGetters and that rubix cube idea sound really interesting. I look forward to seeing how that goes.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By I_smell

Cool I think you'll get a Steam code soon.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By frankxiv

just saw the steam games twitter post about this and came to say congratulations duder.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

Congrats duder on the Steam release!

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By superfriend

Wow, this game actually looks like fun. I wish my feeble programming skillz would let me create anything other than sorta-pong and bowling games.

I hope being on Steam helps you sell a ton of copies of this thing. Keep on livin´the dream, duder!

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By zeforgotten

Great to see that it's finally coming out. 
Been waiting a while

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By granderojo

Bought. I like comedy in my games, had no idea this existed.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

It's funny when I see other sites post stories about your game because I have seen you posting on here as you made it so it just feels odd for some reason seeing these other sites talk about the game. There's still this weird disconnect between a game getting made and knowing that people made them when one of those people you see posting around a site you go to a lot. It's like when you can't see an actor playing a role anymore because you just see that actor and not the person he is supposed to be playing. When I see stories about your game it's like, but he's just some guy who posts on the forums... lol

Any who. The game doesn't appeal to me personally, but best of luck with it. Here's hoping it sells enough to let you keep doing your thing.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By gaminghooligan

dude that looks awesome. you should ask the guys to QL it

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rentfn

Awesome and Congrats duder. I'm going to buy it right away. I wish you continued success!!!!

darthslughorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By darthslughorn

Always happy to support a duder! Congrats!

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 49th

Wow, that's really cool. Seems quite unique too with flinging your guy around but also platforming.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14  Edited By turboman

congrats duder

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By toowalrus

You've won the Wario Land Spirit Award. Congratulations!

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

This request might be a bit over the line, but I'll ask anyways ... could you keep us updated on raw data? How much did you sell? How much does the game make you? How much does valve take? Stuff like that? I'm really interested in that kind of stuff and you hardly hear any numbers when it comes to steam.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hugh_jazz

@2HeadedNinja: I'd second that. Getting a bit of data would be pretty interesting, even if it is a good long while since the actual game and such.

Either way, congrats on finally getting it out. Hope you'll be able to put out something you'll feel better about. That probably won't be hard considering it's a move from Flash to something a bit more robust. Unity, right?

I thought the beat 'em up/side scrolling prototype you showed a while back looked like the fucking shit and I wouldn't mind seeing more of that. After what I've seen I've become a big fan of your sense of style.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Legend

It's finally out on Steam! Congrats! :)

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By TheHT

Yeah, I saw this on Steam today and thought it was pretty awesome you got it on there. Congratulations duder!

seamus85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By seamus85

wow it looks really fun. i think i have to pick it up. thanks for the hard work

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Miketakon

Fucking awesome. Gonna buy it soon.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By I_smell

Well this wasn't an ad or anything, but thanks anyway guys!

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hugh_jazz

@I_smell: I just went back and saw the storyboard thing you did for the bear-suit game, as well as some more far along game play than I'd seen before. Bummer if it turns out you won't be making a finished thing out of that, it looks really good.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Rhaknar

oh shit, you made No Time To Explain? much props, its awesome :D

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By I_smell

No Caption Provided
Aaaaahh man, it's so amazing to be recognized as a developer and get legit props from Brad. I was listening to this podcast and watching E3 shows on Gamespot way back when I was making my first games on Newgrounds.com for free. It feels like such a monkey-paw wish that I could be ON GIANTBOMB, but for a game like this where I feel like I could be doing so much better. I wrote these jokes about 2 years ago, y'know? Since then I've started on 3D games, and I KNOW people in the comments are gonna hate it, and I know I'm gonna get flak for this art-- if I would've known it'd be on Steam and on GiantBomb I might've started something better looking!
IF this turns out to be a video thing: you guys PM me and tell me how it goes. There's no way I could watch it myself. Did you hear how much Jeff hated Kingdom Rush?
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By I_smell

Oh and here's the progress on this prototype: Imagine this but team deathmatch

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Nictel

Very awesome!

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By killacam

how do i be you?

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DrFlapjack

@I_smell said:

Oh and here's the progress on this prototype: Imagine this but team deathmatch

I'm going to be that guy. It would be cool if... you could go underwater.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TyCobb

Great job. May I ask what language/frameworks you used?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By I_smell
@DrFlapjack: In this prototype, the water is just a sheet of blue, so you can already go underwater.
 I came up with an idea for a character who's jet could fly underwater, and I guess he'd be the stealth class, because he'd pop out from god-knows-where like a shark all the time and get people.
...except then I'd have to put every level above water, which would be terribly limiting.

@TyCobb
bbuuuuuuhhhhhhh I used Unity and C#.
Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Coafi
NICEEEEEEEE!
NICEEEEEEEE!
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By I_smell

Got mentioned on the Unprofessional Friday aswel! OH MAN!
16 minutes in. So I guess there's a QL planned next week.

So I've bin pokin' at this jet game, and long-story short I have to re-design how the controls work to make AIMING a priority instead of steering. Cos it turns out using both sticks to fly a plane and somehow shoot a moving target, while also moving, is fucking impossible.
Anyway- not sure how interested you guys are in stuff like that, so I've also got some art from trying to come up with a world for this to be set in. How do you guys feel about sky-pirates? 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
They're fighting over treasure buried in the clouds. That's the idea anyway. As with anything else, I'm cautiously worried about the whole idea. I'll come back to world-building later and get back to controls now. 

Would you guys actually play a team deathmatch game about jet-stealing, freefalling pirates with guns? Something about it evokes a free browser MMO to me, and it feels forgettable for some reason- unlike TF2 or Street Fighter 4 which I could play forever.
--OH if any of you remember that Bionic Commando reboot; remember how they almost gave the guy a huge trail of red hair, and they went with dreadlocks instead? My pirates all have huge scarves for the same reason.
Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep seeing this game and never get around to actually buy it. Does look like something I would love, I'll definitely get it when I've got some money in

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Jeust

Congrats man! The game seems really fun!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MarkWahlberg

The sky pirates thing seems potentially interesting, in a 'this should be a multiplayer mode in Just Cause 2' sorta way. Although your web browser comment does sound fairly accurate too, so... I dunno.

@I_smell said:

Well, I don't know how it went with NTTE, but basically anything you work on long term is going to end up being a slog, so you just have to be sure it's something you really like when you first start on it, because that's the only way you'll ever finish. Like, doing the worldbuilding/writing on an FF sized game sounds like a dream job to me, but I know there'd be times I'd want to kill myself before it's over.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dacnomaniac

Holy shit. No Time to Explain!? I LOVED THAT GAME.