User Lists: 3

Poll Do you care about FoV? (325 votes)

Yes, I do. 43%
No, I don't. 22%
Depends on the genre or what game it is. 27%
Depends on other factors. 4%
Other. 0%
(See Results) 4%

I always hear a lot of talk about FoV in PC games but it has never bothered me, I've never had a problem like some other people seem to. So I was wondering, do you care about FoV?

• 
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

I just think low FoVs look unnatural and awkward. It's not really a matter of better or worse for me, I just think it's not as aestethically pleasing. If there is an option to change it, then cool. If not, then, whatever.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Some games that are built for consoles often have a bad Field of View so being able to change it to something more tolerable is a plus.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Hamst3r

Nope, not at all.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Yeah, I usually like to sit around 90 or so. I don't like the feeling of a low FOV when there's a monitor two to three feet from my face.

Dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I usually like to sit around 90 or so. I don't like the feeling of a low FOV when there's a monitor two to three feet from my face.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It depends on the genre. First person games are the ones that benefit the most from optional FOV settings, whereas in 3rd person games FOV doesn't really apply at all.

It's really an issue because current console games are on larger displays (30"+) so large FOV angles aren't necessary. Also, today's systems don't have the power to push the graphics while displaying such a large FOV therefore PC ports tend to get screwed due to shoddy ports where FOV settings are usually not included or buried in config files.

So it goes: Consoles are usually set at 60-70 degrees whereas PC's usually run best at 85-110 degrees. Anything more usually results in Fisheye on a single monitor setups.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No idea what FoV does aside from make everything look smaller in the middle of the screen. I've fiddled around with it a little in a few games but I see no reason to change it from whatever the game deems to be default.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't get headaches as some people do but its nice to have more things in the field of vision than having things enlarged on the screen.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually bump it up a bit, but it really doesn't bother me much, especially since I play most games (including most FPSs) on a TV with a controller, with the exception of BF3 and games that require KB/M.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer something in a 90-110 FOV. That feels the most natural to me, though it depends on the level of distortion. Artificially expanding the FOV with mods tends to suck though, Bioshock in particular turns to shit the moment that you change the FOV so I played through that with the default settings and found it a bit difficult to get used to.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@nekusakuraba Depending on the game, having the wrong FOV can make me nauseous.

Dumpstercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got really dizzy trying to play Metro 2033 with the default FOV. I changed it to around 80 and it was much better.Skyrim felt a bit off to me too, but that's a much quicker fix.

shishkebab09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63  Edited By shishkebab09

I like the idea of what FoV allows, but it can make the game look really shitty and throw off my vertical aim.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@seppli:

@seppli said:

@video_game_king said:

I assume we're talking about field of vision, yes? Like the draw distance? Or is there a difference?

It's about how big the horizontal angle of your cone of vision is. Most PC gamers favor 85-90 degrees, most console games draw 55-65 due to technical constraints.

Ontopic. It depends on the game, but in general I much prefer high FoV-settings. Some 3rd person experiences feel better with a lower FoV. For example Binary Domain has a FoV slider for its PC version, and the higher FoV settings look and feel and play like shit.

Tunnel vision has its upsides in terms of invoking specific feelings - like panic or a heightend sense of speed.

Loading Video...

I think this youtube-video sums it up pretty good.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By MysteriousBob

Absolutely not. Not until I see TF2 videos where some dick has cranked it up to absurd degrees and everyone has floating limbs.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the FOV is in a PC first-person game is like looking down binoculars, then it's a dumb FOV and I should be able to change and there should be shame on the developer that made that portjob because they did it by "PRES BUTAN" converting.

But if it's a deep FOV that actually works, then good. It's a rare sight.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would never have noticed it if their weren't sliders in some PC games. Seems like it would make character modeling a pain the in ass

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By ChaosDent

I have high sensitivity to motion sickness, so I find a wider FOV, limited to no view bob and more accurate mouse-based aiming critical to giving me at least a couple hours at a time. First person console games are usually very tough on me.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Barely, I just crank it up to the max and I'm happy.