Looking for Dead Space/RE4/Dark Sector-type game.

• 64 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys.

I have a new PC coming next week and many newer games to play on it. In the meantime, I am looking for a game that I can sink some real time into.

What I am looking for is a single-player shooter-type game that I can upgrade weapons and gear etc. Similar to the following which I *have* played.

-Resident Evil 4/5
-Dead Space series
-The Evil Within
-Alan Wake
-Bioshock series
-Alien: Isolation
-Dishonored
-Splinter Cell series
-Hitman series
-Metro series
-Deus Ex series
-Alpha Protocol
-Wolfenstein: The New Order/The Old Blood
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series

Something long, single-player, mostly shooter and action. Not heavy on crafting.

I feel like I played all similar games but I am sure there must be something!

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Original_Hank

Stalker call of pripyat, like a more open world version of metro 2033

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@original_hank: Yes, I have dominated all 3 actually. My profile photo is a monster from the game.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoops, on my phone so I can't see. Anyway uh, Alpha protocol, and the Mass effect series.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@original_hank: Yup, definitely played both.

See? I've played them all! Ah!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

System Shock 2, perhaps?

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lucifer

Wolfenstein: The New Order is something I think might be up your alley.

But really your taste is quite varied so its hard to tell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: System Shock 2 is a bit too dated for me now but I have played both of them.

@lucifer Yup, definitely beat that and the stand-alone expansion. My taste is a bit varied but anything non turn-based or too much crafting is okay by me.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By mikemcn

Far cry 2? Far cry 3 had crafting but not too much.

Fallout 4 plays like any other shooter and is long with lots of weapon upgrades, you can ignore the rest of the crafting and just make cool guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn: Dominated all of them except Primal which is not really interesting. But yes, this type of game is okay. Not crazy about open world games except for MGSV. GTA V is on the list to play but waiting for better PC.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ivdamke

RAGE - A good game, won't blow you away but it's lengthy and meets the criteria

Crysis games - Loved 1, 2 was good still haven't played 3. Weapon upgrades and attachments aren't integral to the loop but they're there.

Shadow Warrior - Shortish game so you won't be able to sink too much time into it but it meets the rest of what you want.

EDIT: Hard Reset is another game like Shadow Warrior, not overly long but has weapon and gear upgrades.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivdamke: Beat Rage and did not find it that enjoyable. Not terrible though.

Crysis is good, never played 3 myself since they never released it on Steam. I don't think?

Shadow Warrior isn't too bad.

Hard Reset I have played. Wasn't crazy about it since it is a bit bland. Not a bad game though. I hear they ruined it with the new update but it depends who you ask.

I'm not even trying to be difficult. Finding a new game is really hard.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beardandcompany: Heh I know that feel, I was digging deeper into the barrel with those games minus Crysis trying to think of some that people skip over because they aren't immediately grabbing.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CptBedlam

You should try the new Doom.

Just how much it tickled that upgrade lust was one of its many big surprises.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage: lol played all three. I remember having a lot of fun with Cryostasis for what it was. I got it for free before it was on Steam. A bit slow but it was a very narrative type game. I do enjoy Max Payne and I am pretty sure I dominated Singularity on 360.

Avatar image for michael_langman
Michael_Langman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cold fear!!!!

Not really though it's not a great game, although it's sorta like a horror over the shoulder third person shooter similar to dead space and re4

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daikatana sounds right up your alley ;)

The new Doom has weapon/suit upgrades, EYE Divine Cybermacy is similar to Deus Ex, Rage, Singularity, Binary Domain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@michael_langman I actually DID play that. It came out around RE4 and I did have fun despite the annoying setting on the boat. Was cool at first but I get it...it's a boat.

@wheresderrick Ugh not a good game. I may even have it on my Steam account but definitely played it. Also did get 1000/1000 on Doom for Xbone, 100% loved it but I am a huge fan of the originals too. A solid list of games. I even do have EYE, a bit much for my taste but the idea is there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell, at this point, if anyone can recommend a game that I want to play that I have not, I will send them some sort of Steam gift as a reward. This isn't easy for you guys!

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Tomb Raider / Rise of the Tomb Raider, MGS V, The Bureau XCOM Declassified?

I assume you have the new DOOM waiting for your new PC. If not,then DOOM.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vextroid: Have and played both Tomb Raiders. Good games.

Yes I have Doom on PC and already dominated it on Xbox.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Justin258

Axiom Verge?

Binary Domain?

Black Mesa?

Borderlands?

Condemned 1 and 2?

Thief reboot?

Remember Me?

Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2?

Splinter Cell Blacklist?

Singularity?

Timeshift?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: Not into sidescrollers, not a fan of Axiom Verge. I have the everything but Remember Me. Thief IMO is terrible but I think I played the Xbone version which I think is 30fps?. Black Mesa is great, waiting for more levels. Condemned series is awesome, especially 2. RE:R gets real old with the character switching. Splinter Cell series is good, especially those last two. Was not a fan of Remember Me. Borderlands is not bad but have played them. Timeshift has also been played.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Justin258

@beardandcompany: I think you may have already played everything worth playing in the style you're looking for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I'd like to be proven wrong on this one.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beardandcompany: does it have to be PC only?

If you have a Vita maybe checkout Freedom Wars?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vextroid: I don't have a Vita. A bit too much RPG for my taste, not a fan of the anime-esque style. I'd play it though.

Quibbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although only for last gen consoles, Shadows of the Damned would be right up your alley.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quibbly: I briefly had a PS3 and didn't get a chance to pick it up. Unfortunately they never ported it to PC.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#32  Edited By Forcen

You should really use Steam tags, then you could really find stuff.

Here is a link that shows all third person shooter singleplayer action games that you do not own on steam sorted by user reviews: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Reviews_DESC&tags=19%2C3814&category1=998&category3=2 (don't forget to log in first)

The sorting might not be the best but you can try by relevance or something if you want. Also try different or more tags (fps, first person, shooter).

You could also use this website to filter your library by tags if you want an overview the tags you could use: http://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

I went through my collection on that site to find some stuff not mentioned here:

Hydrophobia: Prophecy (this is a very OK game, the most OK game ever possibly.)

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days Really liked this one, pretty short.

Red Faction: Armageddon

Sleeping Dogs™

Spec Ops: The Line

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine

Sniper Elite V2

Bulletstorm

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin and the other fear games?

Painkiller: Black Edition One of my favorites

The Darkness II

Alien Rage - Unlimited

Alone in the Dark

Call of Juarez Gunslinger

Dead Island

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD

That new system shock beta remake thing?

Tower of Guns Kind of a fps rougelike? Not really played but the quick look seemed cool.

Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space Hella cheap right now with mixed reviews, not played.

Deadpool?

EDIT: these are just my games that loosly fit your post. The tags link should have more. Say if you found anything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: I definitely use the Steam tags all the time. I find the occasional game worth playing. Hydrophobia was made to show off water physics essentially. Kane and Lynch...eh, have played them on Xbox. Red Faction definitely played. Sleeping Dogs looks okay. Just another open world game to me. Spec Ops was fun. The Bureau I can't get past the first hour, makes me want to play Mass Effect again. Sniper Elite series is fun, especially V2. Painkiller is great, I prefer Serious Sam myself. Bulletstorm is unplayable without tweaking due to GFWL. FEAR is amazing, except for 3. Call of Juarez is fun. Dead Island is fun. The Darkness 1/2 definitely great.

Aldebo and Tower of Guns do not look that bad. I may check those out. Tower of Guns look the most interesting so far.

I have not played W40K:SM but it really looks rather bland as the Warhammer universe is nothing that interests me.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beardandcompany: Great that tower of guns sounded cool, i should install that myself. Maybe albedo also since i dont know anything about it really. :)

But warhammer space marine is really worth a look at the quick look! or the demo on steam? It might not be that special but it has heart and great sounding guns. Good deal for 10$ or less and it's 5$ now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: Yeah, I am looking at Space Marine...$7.49...if there is a demo, I don't see it. I've considered it before but I should again.

Well, time to refresh this thread looking for more suggestions while I'm watching Quick Looks from years ago.

Tower of Guns is on the watch list. Not crazy about twitch shooters. Albedo..maybe lol.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Forcen

@beardandcompany Hmm, i saw the demo on the search thing in steam. they must have pulled it.. And it was 5€ and i assumed the US price was similar number wise like the old days.

I edited in Deadpool in that post in case you missed it, you missed some other stuff but i assume they didnt stick out.

If you like dark sector have you played the free to play co-op/singleplayer free2play online thing from the same people? http://store.steampowered.com/app/230410/ I haven't played dark sector but I have played this and it is supposedly similar. It might have all the upgrades and stuff you want but in a free2play format. You can play alone but its kind of made for co-op.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: Deadpool...if it is anything like the movie, no thanks. The game itself doesn't look bad but for $20, I will pass. Alone in the Dark was *okay* but I have not played the newer one or even two or three. Oddworld is okay, didn't really like it back in the day.

Warframe isn't too bad. I played it when it first came out right before it hit Steam.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ODDLY ENOUGH...thinking of Verdun. Always got the impression they liked it on the Quick Look here. I'll probably buy it by tomorrow night.

I decided to replay Dead Space 2, Deus Ex 3 and maybe I'll beat Skyrim eventually.

Waiting for Quantum Break to drop in price for Xbox but I'll give that a go. Maybe Homefront 2?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Forcen

Man you have played most of these games it seems. Isn't Verdun MP-only? Thought you wanted singleplayer mostly. Here are some more just to check.

Metal gear solid 5? Never mind.

SUPERHOT?

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon? Not the newest one but it's cheap.

Battlefield 3, 4, bad company 2?

Transmissions: Element 120? A free short HL2 mod that people seem to like?

Witcher 3? You can shoot crossbows in this game with third person aiming? mostly swordplay still but it seems you are going broader now but there might be a shooting only mod, modders have added cardcombat only mods to this so who knows? I like this way more then skyrim personally.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: I am still looking for a long SP game to play.

I love MGSV.

Superhot is on the list but it seems too expensive at $20 right now.

EDF was okay, I remember playing one for 360 and had some fun with it.

Battlefield series has been dominated.

Transmissions is free for a reason...:/

Witcher 3 is on the list, waiting for a better PC.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I have looked through this entire list; and boy, there sure ain't a plethora of options left.

I would second a vote for Space Marine; that game is terrific and I bet you'd have fun with it.The only wholly fresh recommendation I have is "The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena", which includes Escape from Butcher's Bay, which has to be one of my very favourite games of all time.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain: Dishonored DLC is SOOO good! I second this, too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain

@do_the_manta_ray

Yup, played Dishonored and Dying Light. Great games.

Chronicles of Riddick is amazing, I only played it when they re-released it. I am lucky to still have it on Steam.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Seconding Binary Domain

Remember Me is fun but the combat is a real make or break situation for a lot of people

It's not a new game, but Bionic Commando is real cheap on Steam (most of the time) and it's a ton of fun. Decent shooting, a lot of weapon upgrades, powerups and a fun swinging system.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Binary Domain came out of nowhere, and when I played it, I was very pleasantly surprised. Very fun to shoot robots and guns can be upgraded.

Singularity is also very fun. I love the aesthetic, the shooting is tight, and there are plenty of things to upgrade. Interesting story too...or at least I liked it.

Bulletstorm is a little more over the top and tongue in cheek with it's comedy, but it's still a good romp. Shooting is fun with different guns to upgrade.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is very underrated in my opinion. It's a shooter with some combo based combat thrown in. Not much to upgrade though.

Red Faction: Armageddon is a blast. No weapon upgrades. There are a lot of them, though, and you can upgrade the character to modify weapons.

Hard Reset is short but the EX feature lets you play through with all your stuff allowing you to fully upgrade everything, and there's quite a bit to upgrade.

Shadow Warrior is made by the same people as Hard Reset. There's a ton of stuff to upgrade and has the EX mode, but it is a little short. Still fun though.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how about amnesia the dark descent or soma?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mathj: I prefer combat and...doing things.

I have Binary Domain and it's just so so bland. I really don't get the appeal. Same with Warhammer Space Marine. Every one of these I have played at some point. Even Amnesia, Penumbra, Hard Reset, Shadow Warrior etc.

Is your profile photo the chick from the original Day of the Dead?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like you played every game in the genre by reading this post :P. Have you ever try'd Alien Shooter its like Diablo with guns i really liked it at the time.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Tyrrael

@beardandcompany: What about top down games like Dead Nation? There's a lot of weapons to upgrade, and you can pick up different armor pieces that tweak your stats. I've also heard Alienation is good, it's made by the same people as Dead Nation. I haven't played it yet, though, so I can't give any first hand information about it.

Also, some people have mentioned it, but Assault on Dark Athena was fun, and it includes Escape From Butcher Bay, which is very good too. You're kind of running out of options here. Aside from trying out some free to play stuff, like Warframe, it seems like you don't like all that much aside from the games you listed. I was sure you'd like at least something out of a list like Space Marine, Binary Domain, Hard Reset, and Shadow Warrior. I mentioned Singularity earlier, which I rather enjoyed, but the only other ones from my list are the more over the top type games like Bulletstorm and Red Faction: Armageddon. All of which I highly recommend.