Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By holycrapitsadam

Poll Does gender matter to you? (217 votes)

Only Male 6%
Only Female 7%
Doesn't Matter 68%
Didn't realize this was about pokemon until it was too late 19%

I was just curious if anyone exclusively caught one specific gender of pokemon or do you just catch whatever comes up?

• 
MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care at all. There's enough micro management in this without worrying about genders. For example, I just got Pokerus. Now I have to bank my Pokes every damn day to keep it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Definitely the fourth option. I...I thought this was another sexism thread :o

Olu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It depends, but females are always more useful if there is no easly aviable Ditto.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Definitely the fourth option. I...I thought this was another sexism thread :o

Wait for it....

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I reset until my starter pokemon is female, didn't bother in this game though. Stocking up on starters is one of the easiest ways to get trades on the GTS so it can be worth getting a female starter until you can catch Ditto.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@olu said:

It depends, but females are always more useful if there is no easly aviable Ditto.

No Caption Provided

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By JoeyRavn

I don't care at all. There's enough micro management in this without worrying about genders. For example, I just got Pokerus. Now I have to bank my Pokes every damn day to keep it.

What? Why? There's no need to do that. Once the Pokémon has PokéRus, it'll keep the added bonuses even if it's cured (i.e. doubled EV gains). The only thing that it loses is the ability to spread it to other members of your party. What you want to do is to get PokéRus onto a Pokémon you don't use, store it in a box and only take it out when you want to spread it to a Pokémon you want to train.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, man, I catch whatever.

Though I did reset about four times to get a female Fennekin at the start. It just seemed appropriate.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I don't have X Y but female, if only because every random trainer only has pokemon the same gender as them so I'm just copying them.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Only if there's a noticeable aesthetic difference. Like catching a male Pidove because its final form has a mask, or trying to find a female Pikachu for the heart shape on the end of its tail.

I mostly play as a female because I like how their designs are more unique compared to the males, who I feel have never changed drastically since Gen 1. I think the only unique male trainer has been Ethan.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my pokeparty is a total sausagefest

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By jacksukeru

I sometimes go out of my way to catch a male version of a pokemon when it's for my party, don't ask me why. Just sometimes when I look at one I think "that's a dude" so I want it to be a dude. The opposite thing rarely happens, it's either "I want a male one" or "it doesn't matter". I guess it comes with wanting to identify with it, but that feels really weird to say when you're talking about Pokemon.

@medacris I usually play a female trainer whenever the male design doesn't appeal to me, which has been most of the time outside of the first two gens. I did like the guy's design in Black but I had decided to wait for the inevitable third version and when that came out they had 2 new designs. Now the choice was between pineapple hair and princess leia's long-lost sister. I wasn't a fan of either.

The designs in X & Y are a bit bland, but that's fine since you can now customize them. I'll probably pick the guy there.

Edit: last half of my post disappeared at first but is now back.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It only matters to me if I'm trying to breed specific things.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catch whatever, but sometimes I like seeing certain Pokemon in one or the other gender. For example, I can't really see something like Geodude as a female, or a Jigglypuff as a male. But at the end of the day I don't care, I just want to catch them all.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just catch what I can find, I got a female Bunnelby called Dr. Dre, so yeah I don't really factor gender into anything in pokemon.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I'll aim for a specific gender if I feel one fits a particular Pokemon better. But it really comes down to how much work I have to put in to do that. In Ruby/Sapphire I would never catch a male Ralts though.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am waiting for the glorious day when my PC can be a white male.

You want to store all your Pokemon inside a white dude?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By musubi
No Caption Provided

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By JJOR64

I believe some Pokemon do have better stats if they are Male. For me , I really don't care anymore. My Greninja is Female.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 said:

I believe some Pokemon do have better stats if they are Male. For me , I really don't care anymore. My Greninja is Female.

I don't think I've ever heard of that before, unless you're talking about the Pokemon that have to be a specific gender to evolve.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to just catch anything, but now that the metagame seems a lot more accessible I've been making an effort to only catch females. I'm not sure if I'll too far into yet or not but I'll at least have this part out of the way for now. Plus, I soft-reset for a female Froakie in the beginning, so I may as well keep going with this. I'm glad I got a female Charmander on my first try because that part would have been really annoying to go through more than once.

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PolyesterKyle

I usually try to catch whichever gender I think suits the pokemon better, like I used to catch female geodudes exclusively or male clefairys. Never thought about it all that much though.

Man, I need to go pick up the new pokemon game.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on the pokemon. Some just seem like they were designed for a specific gender. Male Gardevoir? Fuck that.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

I accidentally deleted my last post, thanks mobile site:

@zeik: Apparently only male pokemon could have a maxed Attack stat in Gen II, but since then there haven't been any stat differences.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gender#Trivia

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Dark

@probablytuna said:

Catch whatever, but sometimes I like seeing certain Pokemon in one or the other gender. For example, I can't really see something like Geodude as a female, or a Jigglypuff as a male. But at the end of the day I don't care, I just want to catch them all.

Did your parents ever have the Pidgey and the Beedrill talk with you?

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Optix12

My friend a few hours back was moaning at me about finding only female onixs' and therefore not wanting to catch it. Me, i dont care unless they ahve different evolutions which are cooler. Im not aiming to collect all of these pokemon, thats madman talk right there
Edit: I dont want to be the very best and catching them all is not my quest. Just above average beating team flare and grabbing all the badges will do me just fine

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By audiosnow

It's Pokémon X/Y. Even the game's title is male.

I've never played a Pokémon game.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By kerse

I won't go out of my way for gender, unless there's some gender specific stuff like gardevoir/gallade. What matters more is nature, really wish they would just let us choose that, or at least have pokemon tend to get a more beneficial one more often or something, its a real bummer to try and catch a pokemon that shows up once every twenty battles in the grass only to have it be a minus nature that pokemon's most important stat. I know its not really that huge of a difference, but it really bothers me.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MideonNViscera

@joeyravn said:

@mideonnviscera said:

What? Why? There's no need to do that. Once the Pokémon has PokéRus, it'll keep the added bonuses even if it's cured (i.e. doubled EV gains). The only thing that it loses is the ability to spread it to other members of your party. What you want to do is to get PokéRus onto a Pokémon you don't use, store it in a box and only take it out when you want to spread it to a Pokémon you want to train.

Ok well that is super good to know. I thought I had to keep Pokerus on everyone forever to keep the benefits.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When they first came out with this system, I totally only wanted male pokemons. If I ever caught a female pokemon I would release it and attempt to catch another. Don't know why, but I also don't think I'd care now.

Maybe it's because I only like having male pets in real life. Always seemed like the manlier thing, for lack of a better phrase. I guess I used the same logic with pokemon. :P

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

nah, but a couple of my friends search out females for breeding reasons.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dude what? Pokemon have genders D: I didnt know that

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By breadfan

I name my Pokemon with Bro in the name (Bromander, Broddish, Brolax, etc) so having dudes keeps things less Pokeweird. But I honestly could care less about the gender of my Pokemon.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah, but a couple of my friends search out females for breeding reasons.

I bet they do.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I like to imagine that some of the pokemon species have large personality disparities between genders, like female pikachu's possibly are more territorial, or male Mr. Mime's stick far more strictly to their mime routines.

So it kind of does affect my interpretation of a pokemon. Or I guess it would if I actually I thought about pokemon more than once a year.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of this for me too. Overall, I don't really care, but sometimes I do.

RavenousJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on how the Pokemon looks if I catch the male or female version of it.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

Some Pokémon suit one gender over an other I'd say for sure, so I'd ideally get them in that gender. Can't say it would stop me using them if I thought they were the wrong gender though.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, there are genders now? When did that happen? Seems like a lot of stuff changed since I played Gold...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Are there female Nidoran-males?

I just catch whatever there is. Right now my party is 4 ladies and 2 dudes. And their names are Laura, Oscar, Bugsy, Roberta, Birdy and Frank.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By phrosnite

Yes, it matters but I never go only females or males. Depends on the pokemon. lol

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By lord_canti

gender only really matter if you have a strategy that relys on it such as having a pokemon centered around attract or if it has a split evolution