• 71 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Seppli

I'm currently finishing up my Rayman Origins playthrough, and while it's admittedly beautiful, and an awesome 2D platformer - I'd never pay 60 bucks for such a thing anymore. I play it because it was free on PS+, and because it's undeniably awesome, but I'd rather spend my money and time elsewhere, if it comes down to it. Other genres just engage me more.

Guess it has to suck to be a 2D platformer fan these days. Outside of Nintendo, nobody makes enough money to warrant a triple A effort. Then again, indie platformers are plentiful, and generally much more interesting than all the standard fare we used to get during the 8bit and 16bit era. So yay!?!

Ubisoft won't likely pursue this direction anymore, outside of low budget small team efforts. How expensive was Rayman Legends in production?

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By roland_d11

I think it is interesting they released it for 60 bucks in the US. In the EU it is not a full price title. In Germany games cost about €70 (rrp), Legends ist €45 on PS3/360/WiiU and €30 on PC. I wonder what Ubisoft was thinking about that strategy.

About the cost: I imagine the cost for Rayman Legends was comparably low. Origins did not sell at all, but it was profitable.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By HerbieBug

@seppli said:

Guess it has to suck to be a 2D platformer fan these days. Outside of Nintendo, nobody makes enough money to warrant a triple A effort. Then again, indie platformers are plentiful, and generally much more interesting than all the standard fare we used to get during the 8bit and 16bit era. So yay!?!

For me, the indie folks picking up the slack in the platformer genre is definitely a yay! It works out fine as platformers are not, and never really have been, about pretty graphics. Mechanics rule the day. And indie developers so far have proven they can pull off satisfying mechanics very well. In fact, I will even go so far to say this is the best time to be a 2D platformer fan in the history of gaming thus far. So many great games can be downloaded in seconds for pocket change, it's amazing. :)

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By ProfessorEss

I had my fingered crossed for Ubisoft but I'm ultimately not surprised. I have it and I love it but I was surprised it got a sequel in the first place so I'm not gonna bother worrying about it's further sequel potential.

EsDeib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By EsDeib

I bought it on both PS3 and Vita because I'm a loser like that. Such a shame for it to be doing so poorly saleswise. It's an amazing game. Probably my favorite thing I've played all year. Sad.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By ProfessorEss

@esdeib said:

I bought it on both PS3 and Vita because I'm a loser like that. Such a shame for it to be doing so poorly saleswise. It's an amazing game. Probably my favorite thing I've played all year. Sad.

I have to wonder if the whole "B-Button" thing is hurt PC/360/PS3 sales much. I know I was super skeptical but since I have no plans on buying a WiiU I picked up the 360 version and frankly I love how the "B-Button" has been implemented.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@esdeib said:

I have to wonder if the whole "B-Button" thing is hurt PC/360/PS3 sales much. I know I was super skeptical but since I have no plans on buying a WiiU I picked up the 360 version and frankly I love how the "B-Button" has been implemented.

Yes, same here. I actually prefer the way Murfy works in the 360 version. I tried it on a WiiU at a friends house and it was awful in single player. You basically have to switch to the touchpad and direct Murfy around. In the meantime an AI controls Rayman and does all the platforming.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By roland_d11

@esdeib said:

Yes, same here. I actually prefer the way Murfy works in the 360 version. I tried it on a WiiU at a friends house and it was awful in single player. You basically have to switch to the touchpad and direct Murfy around. In the meantime an AI controls Rayman and does all the platforming.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't have the money right now. I'm saving for other things. I would have bought it had it come out when it was originally scheduled on Wii U but I'm going to wait now. Hopefully it gains some traction because it looks gorgeous.

VirtuaGrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game looks beautiful and I want to support it but...I really didn't enjoy Origins. It looked great and everything and had bags of charm but when it came to actually playing it I didn't have any fun.
It sucks that this game isn't selling well...but I can't justify getting it, especially with GTA and new consoles just around the corner.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By monetarydread

It's not that surprising to me. We live in a world where 2D platformers are usually sold for $10-15. I am sure that there is a lot of content in this game, but is it really $45 worth of extra content? For example, I have yet to play Mark of the Ninja, Giana Sisters, Spelunky, or Castle of Illusion. Is Rayman so much better than all four of those games combined that I should pick this up instead of those four games - especially since Rayman is the same price as those four combined.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#62  Edited By Humanity

Sorry man, the game just always looked incredibly lame to me. The characters, graphics, music.. nothing does it for me so I guess I'm part of the problem sitting here playing Killer Is Dead and oogling virtual women.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's largely Ubisoft's fault for releasing it between Splinter Cell, Saints Row, GTA, etc rather than one of the boring summer months.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Didn't the original game sell really low as well? I had suspected that this would have been the case for Legends (as well as Ubisoft's great release timing with all the other games coming out soon)

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I'll be picking it up for 5 bucks during a Steam sale in the near future

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By ThunderSlash

Imagine what the numbers would have been if they had released this as a WiiU exclusive.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I know it's necro but I blame indie devs for oversaturating the market with 2D platformers and side scrollers, for $10-15 or less. It's giving people the idea that games like this are only worth that amount.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty: Well it wasn't that long between Legends and Origins. I know Legends added more stuff but speaking for myself I found I had my fill after playing Origins. I guess they'll get another crack at it anyway with Legends coming out on XB1 and PS4 now.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Price point definitely didn't work for me.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#70  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

That really makes me sad. Just like when Origins came out, I'm just waiting till Black Friday to pick up a copy. Maybe others are waiting too.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ubisoft just confirmed a next gen Rayman Legends.

chicomendes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if it's any consolation, I paid 50,000 Won (around $42) for this epic title on switch in 2020, helping the noble goal of building Rayman's profile in South Korea.