#1 Edited by Aelric (400 posts) -

Just heard the announcement on RPS. Happy happy, the spiritual successor of Alpha Centauri by the man who did Alpha Centauri.

#2 Posted by Hassun (1816 posts) -

But what about Galactic Civilizations III and when are we going to get @alex's coverage of it?

#3 Posted by isomeri (1404 posts) -

This is fantastic news, and I finally have a reason to upgrade my computer.

#4 Posted by Blomakrans (151 posts) -

Holy shitsnacks! This is great!

And that trailer says fall 2014? That can't be release can it?

#5 Posted by Jesus_Phish (1151 posts) -

@blomakrans: Don't question it or they might take it back!

#6 Posted by StarvingGamer (8544 posts) -

SPAAAAAAAAACE!

#7 Posted by isomeri (1404 posts) -

Yup, apparently it's coming out this year. The Polygon article hints at some pretty interesting concepts, like being able to choose how much you lean on technology vs. try to stay as "human" as possible.

#8 Posted by endoworks (297 posts) -

@blomakrans: they are saying fall of this year. It's very much the civ 5 engine reworked. Also a spiritual sequel to Alpha Centauri

#9 Edited by Aelric (400 posts) -

I also want to point out that it's great to see that this is NOT a kickstarter. Not that there is anything wrong with Kickstarter, just that having a real budget behind this, combined with a great team like Firaxis, means that it's not going to be scaled down. I really hope to hear some datalinks quotes and ominous secret project videos!

Also, it's THIS YEAR (barring delays). I love when games announce on the same year they release so I don't have to wait forever. Oh god, I'm happy.

#10 Edited by Abendlaender (2887 posts) -

So it's Civ in space. So it's Alpha Centauri. So it's going to end my social life.

#11 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

USA in space mothafuckas! Manifest Destiny across the stars!!!!!

#12 Posted by johncallahan (619 posts) -

@adoggz said:

USA in space mothafuckas! Manifest Destiny across the stars!!!!!

#13 Posted by ToTheNines (825 posts) -

Awesome! I loved Alpha Centauri!

#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12101 posts) -

Sid Meier's "Totally not a sequel to Alpha Centauri" sounds like a great idea. I'd play that.

#15 Posted by Village_Guy (2660 posts) -

Civ in space, eh. Color me excited... really really excited!

Sounds like a great idea and perhaps also the natural progression from Civ 5.

#16 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5974 posts) -

Sounds great!

#17 Posted by chainreaction01 (183 posts) -

"Nah it's cool EA, it's Civ game. Totally not Alpha Centauri".

Glad they have decided to put the announce fairly close to the release. Hyped to see more of what this game is going to be.

#18 Posted by Jack_Lafayette (3458 posts) -

Philosophical question for you all: is Space Napoleon less of an asshole than Earth Napoleon?

#19 Posted by Crembaw (508 posts) -

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

YES.

Somebody shut down my hype train before it goes off the rails.

#20 Posted by SomberOwl (722 posts) -

I wish they could find a way to bring something like this to consoles.

#21 Edited by Zlimness (569 posts) -

Oh, fuck me. I'm excited about video games again.

#22 Edited by Pr1mus (3942 posts) -

Yes! 2014 is less terrible now! It might not even be terrible at all anymore!

#23 Posted by Crembaw (508 posts) -

I wish they could find a way to bring something like this to consoles.

One of the lead designers cited Civ:Rev as his favorite of the games, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

#24 Posted by Zeik (2751 posts) -

My dream game would have been for a normal Civ game to lead directly into this once you launched Alpha Centauri, but I'll live with this for now.

#25 Posted by Seauton (116 posts) -

#26 Posted by Itwongo (1245 posts) -

Dude, fucking yeah! Fucking yeah!

#27 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

Oh please god don't turn it into a F2P iOS app.

#28 Posted by Sessh (1041 posts) -

That's great. I've been waiting years for a new Alpha Centauri, official sequel or not.

#29 Edited by Jay_Ray (1126 posts) -

I am ready

#30 Edited by zaldar (108 posts) -

@aelric said:

Just heard the announcement on RPS. I immediately came. Cleaned up and came again. Happy happy, the spiritual successor of Alpha Centauri by the man who did Alpha Centauri.

My reaction exactly....

#31 Posted by jerseyscum (922 posts) -

@wolf_blitzer85: EA can ruin Alpha Centauri, but Firaxis are not part of EA. They actually give a fuck about their classic IP and won't squander them on some pay to win bullshit.

#33 Posted by Aelric (400 posts) -

Oh please god don't turn it into a F2P iOS app.

That is perhaps a little alarmist. Firaxis has a great rep, though I suppose they do gate new features behind DLC, but those are expansion pack sized updates, not F2P microtransations and the vanilla game is usually plenty anyhow (i.e. Civ 5, X-Com).

#34 Edited by Aelric (400 posts) -
@zaldar said:

@aelric said:

Just heard the announcement on RPS. I immediately came. Cleaned up and came again. Happy happy, the spiritual successor of Alpha Centauri by the man who did Alpha Centauri.

My reaction exactly....

We can be cum buddies! Or even cum brothers! You can be my cum dad! One big cum family!

I miss my fiance...

#35 Posted by EchoEcho (837 posts) -

@isomeri said:

@blomakrans said:

Yup, apparently it's coming out this year. The Polygon article hints at some pretty interesting concepts, like being able to choose how much you lean on technology vs. try to stay as "human" as possible.

Finally, the second part of the epic Too Human trilogy gets a release date! Weird about the name change, though.

#36 Posted by ripelivejam (4765 posts) -

is having two threads of everything the norm nowadays?

#37 Edited by Aelric (400 posts) -

This thread was first. also, there are three threads on this.

#38 Edited by zaldar (108 posts) -

The greatness of this announcement is to big to be confined to one thread.

#39 Edited by Nightriff (5322 posts) -

Sign me up, ready for a new civ type game and I never played alpha centari so this will be a new experience for me.

#40 Edited by chrissedoff (2166 posts) -

I'm going to be that super-nerd who enjoys this game by always playing through Civilization V and winning with a science victory as a prelude to starting a Beyond Earth campaign.

#41 Posted by Capum15 (4986 posts) -

I'm going to be that super-nerd who enjoys this game by always playing through Civilization V and winning with a science victory as a prelude to starting a Beyond Earth campaign.

My hat is off to you. I'm planning on doing that once before the game comes out.

#42 Posted by Svenzon (726 posts) -

Sounds fucking awesome! Love that cover art too, so I hope they keep it.

#43 Posted by Jesus_Phish (1151 posts) -

@chrissedoff: If you lose to another civ during that game, will you restart? Or just "one more turn..." until you build the rocket?

#44 Posted by MentalDisruption (1669 posts) -

@chrissedoff said:

Same here. Maybe not every time, but i feel required to do this at least once.

#45 Posted by Veektarius (5008 posts) -

Their description of the three technology paths sounds the best to me, though it also sounds as if they're not preserving nations or broad historical generalizations of cultures' comparative advantages. That's a bit sad, to me.