KOTOR II Update Brings game to Mac and Linux, Adds Steam Workshop Support

• 183 results
BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Never played a KOTOR game. Maybe I'll consider giving it a try... Is it crazy to play 2 and skip the first?

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My best friend and I debate whether KOTOR or KOTOR2 was the better game about once a year. We both enjoyed KOTOR2 but my initial (and lasting) opinion of it is way better than his. I think over the years our debates have brought me around to thinking that KOTOR is a better Star Wars game because it stays true to the essence of what made the original films great in many respects and is well made. It's an RPG love letter to that part of us that initially fell in love with Star Wars.

KOTOR 2 on the other hand is a love letter to that same love down the line when we've changed and moved beyond the initial spark. We still love this wonderful thing and want to be close to the things we liked about it but for some of us they impact us differently and we want different things out of them compared to the past. These changes make the relationship more uncertain and will drive some to part ways. That's fine and it's completely fair to say that thing has changed and you don't like what's different about it but for those of us who remain there's a lot to explore and that exploration can be rich and rewarding.

For me personally (looking past the undeniable flaws of it being a unfinished/unpolished game) I think it's a fun interesting game that speaks to things I've felt to be problematic with Star Wars as a universe especially the whole moral duality of the Force. Kreia was an interesting character that really challenged the instinct to give a "right" or clear answer to any question she might pose. It can be emotionally frustrating at times but it does it with a purpose. We like to poke at games; KOTOR2 is one of those games that likes to poke back at least in terms of narrative.

I will say that while I disagree with people who think KOTOR2 was hamfisted when it came to exploring these subjects I do have to concede it didn't always stick the landing. In my mind some of that stemmed from being rushed but I think some of it comes just from having to work within the confines of the Star Wars universe. What aspects of that setting you embrace will probably impact how much like KOTOR2 because it's definitely a deviation from many of the understood tenets of that setting.

I can't disagree with people who found it mechanically shaky in places. While I never had them turn into a problem for me I've heard enough players express problems with the mechanics to fully believe there were things in need of further work.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Awesome work from these guys, now let's hope they get clearance to give KOTOR1 the same treatment. I just can't do KB+M.

If I already had the "twist" spoiled for me, is it safe to just go ahead with KOTOR2?

watershreder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just spent 3 hours playing this again, and man aside from a few annoying flickering issues after loading this game is great.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By jkz

Man....I fucking loved KOTOR 2 even in its original, fucked up, janky ass form. Definitely one of the games I think of most fondly nowadays (not my favorite, but pretty damn high up that last). I've only played it once in the intervening years; I may actually give it another playthrough.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome work from these guys, now let's hope they get clearance to give KOTOR1 the same treatment. I just can't do KB+M.

If I already had the "twist" spoiled for me, is it safe to just go ahead with KOTOR2?

Yeah that's about the only thing that KOTOR2 could spoil since it has nothing to do with the events of the first game beyond using them as a broad backdrop for why the Jedi are all fucked up again.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's time to revisit KOTOR2, especially now with the Restored Content Mod team and TSLRCM through Steamworks.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played a KOTOR game. Maybe I'll consider giving it a try... Is it crazy to play 2 and skip the first?

I wouldn't say it's crazy but personally I'd play KOTOR first. The 2nd one references the first enough that I think you'd be missing out on something. I have a feeling that if KOTOR doesn't work for you than KOTOR2 probably won't hit either.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:
@mustainium said:

Yeah that's about the only thing that KOTOR2 could spoil since it has nothing to do with the events of the first game beyond using them as a broad backdrop for why the Jedi are all fucked up again.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'll jump in as soon as that restored content mode hits Steam.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I loved KOTOR 1 but I always heard awful things about 2 so I never touched it, the mod stuff always seemed like a mess so even later down the line I never touched it, now I think I might touch it.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at the steam page I found the following interesting:

Processor: Intel Core i3 (2 Cores), AMD A10

CPU Speed: 2.2 GHz

Memory: 4GB RAM

Hard Disk Space: 10 GB

Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 5450

Video Card (NVidia): GeForce 260

Video Card (Intel): HD 4400

Video Memory (VRam): 256MB

Controller Support: Microsoft® Xbox® 360 Controller for Windows® (Wired), Microsoft® Xbox® 360 Games for Windows® Wireless Controller with Adapter, Microsoft® Xbox® One Controller (Wired), Razor Sabertooth – Gaming Controller for Xbox 360, Thrustmaster GPX, Logitech Gamepad F310, Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710

Important Note: For users that prefer the original version of the game or for users on old hardware that can no longer run KOTOR II in its updated form, we have created a "legacy branch" that will allow users to access the original released content. Click on the support link and our team will walk you through the process.

Definitely a different set of system requirements compared to the original release.

blakout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love KOTOR 2 I love the cut content mod I just really reaaaly want there to be an option to not do the HK Factory section cause holy god that was cut for a reason, Its horrendously unfun.

Afro_Stevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What year is it?

Jodski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Jodski

Love'n you more and more Austin, KOTOR II is also my favorite game :D

Admittedly though, without Kreia I wouldn't be as drawn to it. Personally, she is easily one of the best characters in video games - so brilliantly written and portrayed.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could never get into KOTOR 2, KOTOR is one of my favorite games of all time though. The sequel just felt kinda boring, maybe i'll give it another shot one day

jocumo89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#116  Edited By jocumo89

KOTOR is possibly my favorite RPG of all time, so I was incredibly disappointed when KOTOR II barely ran on my console. The framerate was awful, almost unplayable, especially during combat sequences. While the story was intricate and probably well told (it's been so long that I can't say one way or another), I could never get past its glaring faults.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maluvin said:
@batmanbatman said:

I wouldn't say it's crazy but personally I'd play KOTOR first. The 2nd one references the first enough that I think you'd be missing out on something. I have a feeling that if KOTOR doesn't work for you than KOTOR2 probably won't hit either.

Yeah, I figured as much. Maybe I'll wait and see if there's a chance number 1 gets the same treatment... I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the heck out those games though, 'cause this stuff is right up my alley...

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played KOTOR at least a half dozen times over the years, and it remains my favorite game of all time. I was less impressed with KOTOR II when I encountered it a decade or so ago. I had no interest in going back for many years, and when I heard about the restoration patch I decided to wait until it was complete. Now that this final version is out I'll have to take that long overdue second look. I picked up a copy of the game during that Humble Bundle Star Wars sale. Time to install.

Supa_Kappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh Austin, I love that deep description of what makes KOTOR 2 special followed by "my guy was cool"

I never finished the original KOTOR, I think I just came too late to the party and I got sick of the clunky mechanics and plot that didn't seem to be in a hurry to show me anything, maybe I'll give KOTOR 2 a shot.

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am freaking out internally over this news, KOTOR 2 is an amazing game and I can't believe they did this. The first game is my favourite video game but 2 is sooooo good and I am really happy to hear that you likd it so much Austin.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about the first game? Anyway I may reinstall this.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Is the unreleased content mod for Kotor2 actually good and finished or is it just "Oh wow they sure left out a lot of interesting stuff"?

Uberjannie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, now I can play Kotor 2 in 4K. Sweet!

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kotor 1 is my favorite game ever. Kotor 2 is a shit sandwich. A shame it had so much potential but the ending just completely fizzles out.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#126  Edited By mikemcn

@batmanbatman said:

Yes it's crazy. You wanna know why bad things happen to good people? Why it rains on people's wedding days and why some puppiies get put up for adoption but never find owners? Do you wonder why the black death could have struck down so many innocent people in Europe 500 years ago? Or why Trump is actually a popular candidate right now for the office of US president?

It's because people choose KOTOR 2 without giving Kotor 1 a chance, its because they play both and say that the first is nonsense and a waste of time because chris avellone and obsidian didn't get their grubby hands on it. Because they refuse to accept that without KOTOR 1 as a solid base no amount of Obsidian story talent could have made such a great game.

Both are awesome games, I personally like the first 1 more but KOTOR 2 has plenty going for it as well. Try them both!!! You don't have to play them in order but I really think KOTOR 1 is a good first step. You'll be better able to understand what the sequel does right or wrong based on that first game. On PC they're like 5 bucks each in sale and they're 30 hour games on even a straightforward playthrough.

So do yourself a favor and give games a chance, if not for me, do it for the puppies.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I tried installing kotor 2 with that mod a couple years ago but i think i got like 2 hours into it before i got bored and put it down.

I remember the ending left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth so maybe now is the time to give it another go. Thanks for the story @austin_walker, feel better soon!

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KOTOR 2 is baller. I really need to play the Restored version someday.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@president_barackbar said:

I'm really shocked at the amount of people that seem to think KOTOR II is better than the original. It was definitely trying to be more ambitious and have a darker story, but I wouldn't go so far as to say its actually a "good" video game. Its possible that the only reason I feel this way is I only ever played the Xbox version and maybe the restored content mod makes it way better. Difficult to say.

I think people give it points JUST because it's trying to be "Dark" or "grey". I think that's silly, personally. It reminds me of my friends in high school whom I couldn't get to go to movies with me if they weren't rated R.

I think you're full of it. The game gets the credit it does for the exceptional writing and incredible characters, as well as the implementation of the cause and effect of the light/dark side. It simply takes away the fantastic elements of the Force and the Jedi/Sith dichotomy and presents them in a somewhat more realistic sense, exploring thoroughly the concept of causality and just how much your actions have consequences, even if they aren't physically evident.

If this game was finished at release, it could have easily been one the best written and most incredible RPGs out there. Even in it's current state, the writing is some of the best in gaming.

The gameplay is lackluster, and the graphics are ass, but the voiceovers, the characters, the plot, and the dialogue stand up remarkably well. Don't generalize everyone's opinions just because you disagree with them.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no. This is exactly what everyone wants. Bring this incomplete game to other platforms so that those players can get up to speed and join everyone else that's pissed off for this incomplete game. I wish Bethesda would go back and finish this game properly and release it in some sort of "Edition" release.

Bethesda?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow this sounds like a great update. The original KOTOR is one of my favorite Bioware games of all time. I really wanted to enjoy KOTOR 2 just as much but the rushed production and lack of a significant ending really bothered me. Taking into consideration how I played through the game after getting major surgery on my leg and being under the effects of heavy pain medications, the ending made no fucking sense to me. It seemed to just end. I was glad to find out this was a unanimously held opinion among other gamers. And considering this is on a steam sale for $7.49, adds controller suport, wide screen support, and steam-works which include the missing content update, I decided to buy the game and finally play it as it was meant to. Super pumped!!!

skuski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Any chance they would do the same for KOTOR? I would love controller support for that game on Steam.

onkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, Kotor II has always been the more interesting of the two games, largely due to Kreia.

CrocBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played 2 and every time I install it, I forget about it and then eventually uninstall it. D:

I might get piled on, but I welcome the added controller support.

I pretty much always welcome controller support, since I'm generally more comfortable with one than keyboard and mouse.

squirrelbait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm with you Austin. I was surprised that it was lambasted so often by friends and press. KOTOR 2 for me has the best villians from any star wars game or movie or TV show and has developed from me the only justifiable and believable reason for someone to be tempted by a turn to the darkside. That whole Mandalorian war threat thing was just so well handled. What a great fucking story. I wanna play that again!

DrakeLC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By DrakeLC

@austin_walker You forgot a bullet point though it isn't in the bullet point list. At the end of the news post they mentioned (almost as an afterthought) that Force Speed's effect can now be toggled on or off in the options. A change which is most welcome... and probably should've been there from the start. ;)

You can check it here at the bottom of the post.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Pretty amazing this even happened, I wonder what the backstory on the decision to do this is?

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#138  Edited By dr_mantas

Oh my god my heart just jumped when I read the title. KOTOR II is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, a notch bellow the original KOTOR.

I remember following Team Gizka for a long time, waiting for restored content. But it took so long I lost interest. And I think that all fell apart.

This is amazing, though. Maybe it's about time to do another playthrough of those games :)

Oh, and also, make KOTOR III, please. Like, actually.

m1m1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man Austins write up of this has suddenly made me really excited about this and reminded me just how much i love this fantastic game!

Thanks Austin, couldn't be happier to have you here at Giant Bomb.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By probablytuna

I played the first thirty minutes of KOTOR II right after I had finished the first one but then never went back. Hearing about how unfinished and broken it was, I didn't feel like it was worth putting the hours in and at the time I thought downloading mods would be too much of a hassle. Good to see KOTOR II is still getting support from the developers, this might be the right time to jump back in.

BrunoFFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanbatman said:

Well, it's not obligatory to play the first one, but it does give a LOT of context. Also, the first one is pretty good too.

Tblockkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Tblockkiller

If only someone could fix up Kotor1 on steam. That game doesn't even run and still being sold on steam.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#143  Edited By dagas

It is so great that they patched such an old game. They didn't even rerelease it as a remaster to get more money. Really nice of them. No one expected this.

With workshop support it is really easy to get the restored content mod.

caleb1915

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:oooooo

Austin Walker, I knew there was something special about you....KOTOR 2 is my favorite game as well....Kreia is probably one of the most fascinating characters in Star Wars fiction.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Xdeser2

KOTOR 2 is your favorite game?! Finally someone on GB holdin' it down for the RPG fans....well, I mean other than Rorie and since Snyder left...so okay finally another person holdin' it down for RPG fans.

As for the KOTOR games, I dont think I have a prefrence between them. I think that KOTOR 1&2 are almost like the latter Fallout games later in the decade, both excellent examples of the stregnths of both developers. I really like the style of classic Bioware RPGs (Yes, good/evil dichotomy and all) as well as the more morally grey style Obsidian took with KOTOR.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nice to see some RPG coverage on this site, especially of an older title.

An out of the blue patch like this restores some of my faith in video games. It was a good way top start a Tuesday morning.

roobanguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kotor2 let me play as a gunslinging, wisecracking jedi and still take out light saber using sith, while in kotor1 if you were using range you were a liability. I think the better game is clear.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's easily one of my favorite games but maybe not the top one.

BUT. It does have the best introduction chapter ever made in any media ever.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Developers doing meaningful updates to old games is always worth commending. I love Kotor 1, but never played 2 due to hearing it was kinda broken. Now I have no excuses for not having played it!

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I never played the sequel (which in hindsight seems odd), but at the time, I adored the original.