Skywind the maybe most ambitious fan mod ever created.

• 68 results
Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Here is the first developer Video for a mod to bring the world of Morrowind into the Skyrim Engine. Unlike the Oblivion try they do not just port the game to the other engine but instead build it from the ground up with a already 70+ Development team.

Morrowind is a game which has not aged very well especially in terms of combat So recreating the game with a more Skyrim style quality of Combat is just a dream come true for me since I just can not play the old game anymore because of its combat system. So naturally I am very very excited for this mod to come out. In the video I posted you already can see how much work they put into this mod

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OGinOR

I didn't realize I was on Kotaku...

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor: Why do you say that? The chance to play a game like Morrowind should excite every RPG fan and it is good to spread word about it.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks fantastic. Wish mods were a thing on console haha. Oh how I can't wait for TES6.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Whoa, whoa, whoa, there's a mod that ports Oblivion over to Skyrim you say?

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

It's Black Mesa all over again!

Let's see what Bethesda thinks of this.

@theht said:

I think it was a reference to the fact these guys have tried to recreate Morrowind before using the Oblivion engine. Last I heard is that it kind-of worked, but is mad janky.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Man, that looks pretty good. I hope this doesn't get shut down by Bethesda. Or who knows, maybe they hire the people working on this. idk.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By ch3burashka

Looks fantastic. Wish mods were a thing on console haha. Oh how I can't wait for TES6.

PC master race and all that. Honestly, at this point, it's abundantly clear what the modding/DLC/patching situation is on consoles vs. PC. If you want the benefits of variety, invest in a PC. Otherwise, well...

No Caption Provided

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Darji

@subwayd said:

It's Black Mesa all over again!

Let's see what Bethesda thinks of this.

@theht said:

I think it was a reference to the fact these guys have tried to recreate Morrowind before using the Oblivion engine. Last I heard is that it kind-of worked, but is mad janky.

Yeah because they sadly just tried to port the stuff. You can find a release version. here

http://morroblivion.com/forums/morroblivion/mods/753

With Skywind they actually recreate the whole game and also add a lot of stuff like Music, Armor designs etc. You can find a very early release here: But note it is still for testing and not a lot of stuff done^^

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-mod-releases/3323

But now they are going away from releasing a lot of small updates and do rather big ones

Also I think Bethesda will be totally fine with it since they always praised their modding community.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dude that made falskaar landed a job at bungie so if these guys manage to deliver on this mod maybe they should be employed.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By xymox

Yeah, Morroblivion "worked" but was as they say it was basically a port. The version I tried didn't have voice acting, and the dialogue system was so different that it just didn't do it for me. But this re-make already looks amazing...

Is anyone on here playing the v0.9 release? What are your impressions?

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@darji said:

Here is the first developer Video for a mod to bring the world of Morrowind into the Skyrim Engine. Unlike the Oblivion try they do not just port the game to the other engine but instead build it from the ground up with a already 70+ Development team.

Loading Video...

Morrowind is a game which has not aged very well especially in terms of combat So recreating the game with a more Skyrim style quality of Combat is just a dream come true for me since I just can not play the old game anymore because of its combat system. So naturally I am very very excited for this mod to come out. In the video I posted you already can see how much work they put into this mod

Not sure I'd argue that the Skyrim combat is any significantly amount better than Morrowind's.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@h0lgr: Are you serious? Have you tried to play Morrowind in recent years? The combat is so clunky and badly animated that it feels just terrible. Skyrim's combat lacked depth but it was very responsive. Now if we mix the RPG elements of the combat with the responsiveness of Skyrim I can imagine that the end result will be really really good.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@h0lgr said:

@darji said:

Loading Video...

Not sure I'd argue that the Skyrim combat is any significantly amount better than Morrowind's.

I second that, the only time I've really enjoyed the fighting in an Eldar Scrolls game, was in Oblivion with Deadly Reflexes mod on, though since that is a while ago I'm not sure how well it would hold up and I guess some of its features where incorporated into vanilla Skyrim. Though the most fun I've had was probably a Magic mod which added this Spell:

Loading Video...

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, that Middle-Earth mod was way more ambitious. Shame what became of that.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: No, thanks. I'm perfectly happy with my consoles. Doesn't mean that i can't wish this kind of thing was available in the console space.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So cool, hope they actually finish this!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@oginor said:

I didn't realize I was on Kotaku...

It's weird to consider the generation of people that are learning headline creation from clickbaity blogs. Always with the hyperbole.

"The Skyrim Mod We Had to Show You"

"The Skyrim Mod You'll Have to See to Believe"

etc.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, but I'll believe it when it's complete and appropriately functional.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: No, thanks. I'm perfectly happy with my consoles. Doesn't mean that i can't wish this kind of thing was available in the console space.

...but it won't be. That's what I'm saying. Recognize and understand the differences between the platforms.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By penguindust

Sounds awesome. Morrowind was a much freakier world than Oblivion or Skyrim, so this mod is quite exciting. The thing I wonder is how will it compare to The Elder Scrolls Online. I have to assume that the MMO will allow you to explore Vvardenfell, the setting of Morrowind, as well.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

People really can't let go of Morrowind

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

People really can't let go of Morrowind

Nor fucking should they.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is realized as beautifully as it is imagined--and I'm not holding my breath--I'll finally play Morrowind.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Not to downplay the amount of work involved, but it probably helps that most of the necessary assets were already in the game for Dragonborn.

That's the one piece of Skyrim I never really got to finish, but I don't want to play more enough to do it. The time I tried, I was using that SkyRe mod and it hadn't been balanced. Every boss would one shot you. I have to imagine I'd feel the same reluctance to get back into it even for a huge mod like this.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: Lol, please don't mistake me for some naive 14 year old, mate. I completely realize, understand, and aprechiate the differences. But once again, it doesn't stop me from wishing it wasn't this way.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xyzygy

Does anyone know if the game will be using the same style of skill and leveling as Skyrim or as Morrowind? I really hope Morrowind's. Skyrim's skill and leveling systems were one of the two major reasons I cannot stand that game.

Avatar image for midnightsandwich
midnightsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By midnightsandwich

Look forward to the release date of 20Never.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: It's less the grabby lede and more the direct copy and paste job from Kotaku. I read articles on there and then come here and find threads that are almost verbatim cross-posts. I get that the internet is about sharing information, but seeing the forums become a transposed RSS feed of Kotaku seems silly - at least add your own opinion or take the discussion in a new/relevant direction - otherwise it's just clutter.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Man. That is ambitious. I hope they pull it off.

I won't ever play it because fuck Morrowind, but I hope they can do it just because it'd be an awesome accomplishment.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: Lol, please don't mistake me for some naive 14 year old, mate. I completely realize, understand, and aprechiate the differences. But once again, it doesn't stop me from wishing it wasn't this way.

Gotta say, wishing for console mods seems like a waste of wishing time.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor said:

@bisonhero: It's less the grabby lede and more the direct copy and paste job from Kotaku. I read articles on there and then come here and find threads that are almost verbatim cross-posts. I get that the internet is about sharing information, but seeing the forums become a transposed RSS feed of Kotaku seems silly - at least add your own opinion or take the discussion in a new/relevant direction - otherwise it's just clutter.

First of all I never saw or knew Kotaku doing an article about it. The title comes from myself because I do not know any more ambitious fan made voluntary mod with a 70+ team. Secondly it is my own opinion and I did not copy anything at all. I am just an exciting fan nothing else.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BisonHero

@oginor: Yeah, I've also occasionally created a thread about some news item from Kotaku or somewhere, but all I usually take is the source link, and then it's really not much effort to just throw down my own thoughts.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: That is pretty fucking amazing, duder.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first delved into this project it was in complete shambles, and didn't look to be headed anywhere good. It looks like they did actually end up getting some good people to help support development, and it's looking fantastic. If I didn't have other things going on I'd love to lend a hand now. Anyone who might be interested should know that it's surprisingly easy to learn to do a lot of very powerful things in the Creation Kit, so just fool around in there and cannibalize some modders' code and before long you might have made yourself a substantial first mod.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#37  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@guesty_01 said:

@guesty_01 said:

PC master race and all that. Honestly, at this point, it's abundantly clear what the modding/DLC/patching situation is on consoles vs. PC. If you want the benefits of variety, invest in a PC. Otherwise, well...

No Caption Provided

I guess you never played Unreal Tournament III on PS3, because it had mod support. I think the issue is mostly that few developers and/or publishers embrace the mod community these days, and are enthusiastic enough about it to convince the platform owners it has to be done.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@oginor said:

otherwise it's just clutter.

No, it's not. Did you miss the huge world shaking news because of one guy who's excited about a cool mod? No, you didn't.

I and many others here either don't especially like Kotaku, don't have time to read multiple gaming sites, or just like to see people posting about what they're interested in and excited about. So sharing this stuff is helpful to all of us.

If you see a post here about some news you've seen somewhere else, and that makes you angry for some reason... don't click it, and move on with your life. But please don't bash people for trying to share with others.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks pretty impressive. Hopefully the final product lives up to the promise, because I'd like I'd like to play Morrowind, but the original is kind of unplayable now.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

Skyrim style quality of Combat

I lol'd

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: Skyrim's combat isn't good, but it's still way better than Morrowind. It's at least bearable.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Animasta

I always love when people make a great mod that people automatically say the company who's game they modded should hire them. Especially now because it's 70+ people.

When's the last time that actually happened? Wiz became Paradox's AI Programmer after he made CK2+ (and EU3+ and V2+) but he was already in game development is the only thing I can think of in the last 5 years. The only reason he was able to go so high was because, well, Paradox is small. Bethesda is very large and they'll be stuck in a associate x thing even if they did get hired.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's incredible. This might just get me to actually play Skyrim again after completely burning out on it after 120+ hours, without even finishing the main story... but probably not.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

someone port skyrim into dark souls quick

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

Does anyone know if the game will be using the same style of skill and leveling as Skyrim or as Morrowind? I really hope Morrowind's. Skyrim's skill and leveling systems were one of the two major reasons I cannot stand that game.

From the FAQ:

Q: In Skyrim, there is a really nice perk system with 18 separate skills. In Morrowind there are 27 different skills, with a class and attribute system. How do you plan on reconciling these differences?

A:We will use the Skyrim system as it is found in a vanilla copy of the game. To accomplish this we will simply merge those lost skills with the most applicable Skyrim ones. So items using short blade, long blade, blunt, axe, and spear will all be placed in the one handed and two handed Skyrim weapon categories, medium armors will be placed in the light and heavy armor categories, etc. If you really don't like the Skyrim system, then there are already mods restoring Morrowind attributes available on sites such as the Nexus that could be used in conjunction with Skywind.

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow they actually have 70 people working on this. Is the mod going to be free? It looks really impressive. I never got to play morrowind so if they manage to pull this of I'll be really happy.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

@ch3burashka said:

@guesty_01 said:

@ch3burashka said:

@guesty_01 said:

No Caption Provided

I guess you never played Unreal Tournament III on PS3, because it had mod support. I think the issue is mostly that few developers and/or publishers embrace the mod community these days, and are enthusiastic enough about it to convince the platform owners it has to be done.

Oh right, UT3, one game from 2007. That's a trend, I think.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we just talk for a minute about how FANTASTIC the narrator on that video is?

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AlmostSwedish

@darji said:

Unless they use the magic system from Morrowind, I don't care.

The combat in all Elder Scrolls game is mediocre at best. The beauty of of Morrowind is what magic let's you do outside of combat.