#1  Edited By sthusby

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sthusby

Having a pretty tough time deciding. What did you guys do?

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By babblinmule

I personally went with Iorveth because whilst he was a bit of a dick, he wasn't AS big a dick as Roche.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By dr_mantas

If this stays at 50% it will both not help the OP, and also show the ambiguity of the Witcher 2.

I hope it will.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sthusby

@babblinmule said:

I personally went with Iorveth because whilst he was a bit of a dick, he wasn't AS big a dick as Roche.

Sure Roche is somewhat of a dick, but he's just so damn badass! Kinda leaning toward him right now.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By zeushbien

I picked Iorveth as he seemed to have the greater cause, but then when I met roche and he blamed me for a certain incident I felt kind of bad.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By david3cm

Play it twice, thats what I did. But on my first playthrough I went with Roche, because of our shared hatred of the Captain of the Gaurd, whatever that fat asshole's name was.

Law313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Law313

Easy, pick one. There's way to much content to see in one play through so, again, it really doesn't matter because you'll be right back at it once you beat it.

EDIT: I went Iorveth for my first run. Felt like it was the right thing to do. But there is no "right" or "good" choice.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sthusby

@david3cm said:

Play it twice, thats what I did. But on my first playthrough I went with Roche, because of our shared hatred of the Captain of the Gaurd, whatever that fat asshole's name was.

Definitely gonna play at least twice. A marvelous game so far, and certainly one of the best role playing games in a while. Everything from the fighting to the dialouge and voice work just seem to be crafted with such care. And yes, Commandor Bernard Loredo is fucking terrible.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

I think Roache is a pretty nice guy, all things considered. He is also right about the non-human issue; Iorveth's actions will make things worse for normal elves and dwarves.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By project343

Roche is racist. I hate racists with a burning passion. Went with Iorveth. :P

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince

Chose Iorveth. Didn't regret it. Depending on some choices Roche MAY still be somewhat friendly to you even if you choose Iorveth.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deox

I chose Iorveth. Roche is a racist dick... fuck that guy.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By benspyda

I went with Vernon Roche. No idea why though, he wasn't really that nice. I don't regret it though but would love to play through again and see how things turn out with Iorveth.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By Draugen

@project343: Problem is, Iorveth is just as racist as Roche. I don't really like any of them, but I chose Iorveth the first time. I'll pick Roche on the next playthrough.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Animasta

@project343 said:

Iorveth is just as racist, he doesn't hate Geralt as much just because he's a Gwynbleidd

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Commisar123

Roche, he's is just doing his job. I mean he's awful but he doesn't take pleasure in it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By JasonR86

They both suck but I chose Vernon. At least with him he's not the one in charge and there would be a chance for unity with someone else. Iorveth was it. It would be his way or the highway and he was a poor leader who didn't want to give unity a try. Basically I took the lesser of two evils because the potential for change seemed greater with Vernon.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Iorveth. Even though both of them were kind of dicks, at least I could sort of sympathize with Iorveth. 

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By M_Shini

I played through it with them both but Iorveth was my first choice, i never really grew to like Roche too badly, and i saw going with Iorveth could lead to greater things in how i change the world for better for worse.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vitor

The Roche path I found to have a better story experience, more interesting characters and choices and felt like a more fleshed out experience overall.

That said, if you don't pick Iorveth, you miss out in a TON of story stuff that is completely glossed over on the Roche path.

Definitely need to play through both to experience the full tale but I personally felt like there was more interesting intrigue and personal conflict with Roche's path.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ramone

Iorveth. I felt his cause was the more worthy.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Toxeia

After playing twice and doing each, I felt Iorveth's had the better story line. Or rather, I felt better about the ending when all was said and done.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Story wise, Roche. 

But gameplay wise, Roche's boring, boring, boring path where the entire game is wasted around a bunch of fucking kings and running back and forth through their camps turned me from a Witcher 2 lover into a full blown hater in a New York minute. 

Play Iorvith's path, it's supposed to be more goddamn interesting.

Subach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Subach

@project343 said:

Iorveth is just as racist, he's just pragmatic enough to cooperate with humans to achieve his goals.

I went with Iorveth the first time, partially because I do find the scoia'tel sympathetic, brutality aside, and partially because I found him more mysterious, more intriguing than Roche.

Roche is cool, but in time you spend with him before the end of chapter 1, you get to know what makes him tick, he's not exactly a closed book. Iorveth, on the other hand, is more cagey about his designs, and I wanted to know what exactly he was up to.

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sthusby

Ended up riding along with Roche, mainly because he's the nicest badass there ever was.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#27  Edited By KillyDarko

Iorveth, it just felt right at the time and I never regretted it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The way I see it, why would you side with this random Elf guy instead of the guy what got you out of a dungeon?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By project343

@Animasta: Iorveth's racism felt a lot more justified. His racism was rooted in a justice for his oppressed people as opposed to... being racist dicks for the sake of it.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By pweidman

Both. TW2 requires at least 2 playthroughs to see all that's on offer. Personally I chose Iorveth first, and upon playing Roche second trip, I found him a fairly honorable soldier, simply following orders...

all except his burning revenge for the slaughter of his troops. He deserved that though imo.
Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Aounslaught

Guys I'm not going to lie. I chose Roche for two reason and two reasons alone.

1. There are more achievements on the Vernon Roche path.

B. Ves was quite a hottie, as far as video games go, and I did want to, as the achievement puts it, "seduce her".

But let's be real here. If B was on a different path than 1, I would've totally chosen achievements. Luckily, The Witcher 2 didn't make me make that decision. So, I guess thank you Witcher 2.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Gave a sword to Iorveth during the battle then sided with Roche.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By Giantstalker

Vernon Roche, but in the end, I kinda accidentally screwed him over. I definitely need to play this game again.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DharmaBum

I liked the fact that Iorveth wasn't some generic, pretty boy elf found in typical fantasy lore, so I sided with him first playthrough. He also completely insulted Roche upon entering Flotsam, to which Roche mustered some lame one-liner comeback to defend himself, so that left me with an odd impression.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Cirdain

Both are dicks but I got a letter of recommendation while walking around saying that Vernon was actually pretty good. Its just he come across as a prick.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By l4wd0g

Roche Is a fantastic character.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xyzygy

Definitely Roche. I went with Iorveth the first time and I'd have to say that I grew to like Roche quite a bit more. There is a side of Iorveth that you will learn later on which makes him seem incredibly seflish and childish, and as a result makes Roche seem like the more dedicated and stronger character. Also, Roche is such an asshole that it's just funny. Him and Geralt have some pretty great talks. Another thing to mention is that Roche is more involved in Chapters 2 and 3 than Iorveth is, for story reasons.

Regardless, play both. I played Iorveth first then Roche and came away from the game with such a lasting, great impression. I'm sure it would be the same way the other way around.

@Lebensbaum said:

I liked the fact that Iorveth wasn't some generic, pretty boy elf found in typical fantasy lore, so I sided with him first playthrough. He also completely insulted Roche upon entering Flotsam, to which Roche mustered some lame one-liner comeback to defend himself, so that left me with an odd impression.

That was such an awesome Roche moment! Iorveth is introducing Roche with all these titles and names, about how he's ruthless and a killer of nonhumans and the leader of the infamous Blue Stripes... then Roche replies with: "Iorveth, a regular whoreson!" and throws a dagger at him. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By donkeycow

Vernon Roche is fucking fantastic, a badass to the core. Not only did he help you escape imprisonment at the start as well, you share common goals. I honestly do not understand why anyone would help Iorveth.... he not only tries to kill you when you first meet but he's also a terrorist (albeit one with a just cause... but the ends do not justify the means).

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sthusby

@dr_mantas said:

If this stays at 50% it will both not help the OP, and also show the ambiguity of the Witcher 2.

I hope it will.

We're getting there.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Canteu

I went with Roche.

Elves are gay and are bitches.

Roche is a badass.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Doctorchimp

Roche.

Dirty squirrels think they own the place.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By valrog

They're both incredible characters, but I went with Roche. I just felt that his path was more leaning towards Geralt's own goals. That being said, I hope Iorveth doesn't hold a grudge against me.

Also, obligatory Roche is a badass gif.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DharmaBum

@xyzygy said:

That was such an awesome Roche moment! Iorveth is introducing Roche with all these titles and names, about how he's ruthless and a killer of nonhumans and the leader of the infamous Blue Stripes... then Roche replies with: "Iorveth, a regular whoreson!" and throws a dagger at him. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

You're right, it plants Iorveth as a more verbose figure in your mind, while Roche is someone who just gets straight to the point. I suppose when I heard his reply, it sounded like petty name-calling when in fact (as The Witcher 2 is known to do) the game is introducing further depth and subtlety for its characters.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TentPole

@project343: How is Iorveth any less racist?

Avatar image for christiancastillo
ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose Roche's path and just started chapter 2. I'm liking the mood of the game and where the story is going so far.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By project343

@TentPole: Because his hostility comes from the oppression his people face. I wouldn't call it racism, I'd call it a form of vengeance-based terrorism against a united group, not an inherent unjustified hatred for a particular race. One is, in my opinion, justified; the other is not.

It's the same sort of grey zone debating that I loved from Skyrim's political war. I'm an Imperialist through and through because at least they weren't racist pricks.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TentPole

@project343: You can call it what you want but he is worse than Roche. Killing people for hanging out with the wrong race is pretty fucking racist. As is wiping out entire towns including women and children because of their race. How is that anything but racism and how the fuck is it justified.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vikingdeath1

Roche for sure, yeah he's a Little bit racist, But I would argue that Iorveth was MORE racist! That dude hated humans Waaaay more than Roche hates non-humans, Justified or not, at least Roche wasn't hidin in the woods killing everyone. (Haven't finished the game yet, so my opinion of him May change)

But I also wanted to bang Ves, and I still plan on trying to get her and Smokin hot sorceress to join me for a "Wild Hunt" if you know what I'm sayin.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Arker101

The only thing I'll hold against Roche is his pacification of Makaham. It sucks that if you choose him you have to go with Henselt, but he's still a better choice then Iorveth if you ask me.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By project343

@TentPole: But they aren't just 'hanging out with the wrong people.' Their inaction is action enough with the oppression of these minorities around them. Is violence the solution? No. But it's certainly better than sitting idly by. If blood is the cost for social progress, then blood it is.

I don't know how else to justify it. When I heard Iorveth's side of the story, I was wholly on his side.