Transistor Reviews are out!!

• 77 results
ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

LMAO @ quarter to three, whatever the hell that is.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By xanadu

Never heard of quarter to three before but also don't give a shit. Im downloading right now on steam, pretty excited!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

God, that art is so awesome.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might have to look into this.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Voxus

I am surprised by the click bait that are Tom Chick reviews.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Oh god I'm excited.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#8  Edited By audioBusting

Are you not linking to Qt3 on purpose? That's a bit harsh.

I'd like to add that Tom Chick doesn't really write click bait reviews. He does write positive reviews to popular games, you know (e.g. he gave Titanfall, Bravely Default, and Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls 5 stars). Don't be dismissive of his opinions just because he doesn't like some games others like, guys.

Edit: Also would like to remind everyone that the same guy gave Bastion 5 out of 5, and had Greg Kasavin on his podcast...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By AndrewB

Not surprised, but I'm not the kind of person who closely follows a game before release these days, so I really didn't know much about the game besides "it's from the creators of Bastion" and "Greg Kasavin" and "It looks similar from an art direction perspective" and "PS4/PC exclusive, for some reason."

Nifty twist on the Bastion gameplay formula. I love a strategic game that allows for less real-timey planning. Glad to see I'll have something to look forward to playing.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason they haven't got a release date for Transistor on PSN Asia/HK so I can't play it and I'm incredibly jealous of you all.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: Strange, I have fixed it now. it should link to the review!

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#12 riostarwind  Moderator

I may not rely on reviews to tell me if I should buy a game anymore but it's always good to see a game I was planning on picking up get a lot of positive reviews.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Another mediocre effort by SuperGiant. That's two in a row now. Maybe they'll make a decent game next time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey87144: Yes, mediocre, that's why all the 9 scores are in there. Nice b8 m8

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another mediocre effort by SuperGiant. That's two in a row now. Maybe they'll make a decent game next time.

troll harder?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@jimmyfenix: oh cool, thanks. I did think it was a mistake, but it was just a perfect coincidence that the only negative review is the one that didn't get linked correctly. I didn't mean you (sorry if it sounded that way), but it reminded me of those who wouldn't even read his negative reviews because they think it's clickbait.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sounds good, I watched the quick look and liked what I've seen so far.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have to say i just adore the way the game begins.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright @jimmyfenix it seems like I can't beat your popularity. Time for me to tip my hat and retire I guess.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By RVonE

It's alright to dislike something, but calling their effort mediocre is just bad form.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is okay to dislike a game but you should just say so because there is noting "mediocre" about the game. In fact the exotic nature maybe an issue.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By alwaysbebombing

I am laughing so hard at people getting angry at Polygon for giving Transistor a 'bad' score. Good on you, Polygon comment section.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hunkulese

@jimmyfenix: There's a website that finally uses a yes/no rating system? That's pretty awesome.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey87144: Yes, mediocre, that's why all the 9 scores are in there. Nice b8 m8

troll harder?

@rvone said:

It's alright to dislike something, but calling their effort mediocre is just bad form.

@extomar said:

It is okay to dislike a game but you should just say so because there is noting "mediocre" about the game. In fact the exotic nature maybe an issue.

One day the internet will figure out how to show sarcasm through text without spelling it out.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you should know by now never EVER attempt sarcasm on the internet.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I am laughing so hard at people getting angry at Polygon for giving Transistor a 'bad' score. Good on you, Polygon comment section.

I had a quick look.

Seems like its more people pointing out the reviews text contained no actual criticism, so it's more people being confused and critical over that.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they have one of the best digital artists around hands down.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alwaysbebombing: how is 8.5 "bad" man there are sometimes I hate the internet.

Grr why isn't this out also on PS3? I'm sure it'll come out here eventually but my laptop likely won't run this well.

Has anyone talked much about the soundtrack?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rowr

@mrmazz said:

Grr why isn't this out also on PS3? I'm sure it'll come out here eventually but my laptop likely won't run this well.

I haven't looked at the required specs, but I wouldn't expect them to be high?

Is your laptop like 5 years old?

edit -

• Processor: Dual Core CPU - 2.6ghz
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: 1GB of VRAM: Intel HD 3000 GPU / AMD HD 5450 / Nvidia 9400 GT
  • Hard Drive: 3 GB available space
Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz: I dunno the review seemed fairly gushing. Considering the way polygon assigns scores (the reviewer doesn't set it, other editors who read the review assign a score), the lack of anything really critical to say about the game, and the frequency with which they hand out higher scores it did strike me as a bit odd as well. But then I remembered polygon is terrible so I started thinking about other things.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr: No it's just super average mid range laptop from the last year I'm just more of a console guy

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz said:

Just another example of why trying to attach a number to a video game review is super dumb.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd like to add that Tom Chick doesn't really write click bait reviews. He does write positive reviews to popular games, you know (e.g. he gave Titanfall, Bravely Default, and Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls 5 stars). Don't be dismissive of his opinions just because he doesn't like some games others like, guys.

Edit: Also would like to remind everyone that the same guy gave Bastion 5 out of 5, and had Greg Kasavin on his podcast...

I've actually never read any of his reviews, just heard people complaining about him, so I read this one finally and... it makes total sense.

The risk of fleshing out a story through ancillary text, as Bioshock: Infinite was also heavily criticised for, is that if the player isn't motivated to read/engage with all of that stuff, they'll end up with a shallow experience. It seems like Chick also just ever liked the combat, which probably informed his 2/5 more than these more interesting criticisms, but the feeling of detachment from the character (from what I saw in the QL at least) seems completely understandable.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluttercry said:

@ripelivejam said:

troll harder?

@rvone said:

@extomar said:

One day the internet will figure out how to show sarcasm through text without spelling it out.

Until then you should probably just spell it out.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Doesn't surprise me that Quarter to Three is the outlier. If nothing else though, Tom Chick at least backs up the score pretty well in his review.

I'll have to acquire this game at some point. (probably on-sale)

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluttercry said:

@ripelivejam said:

troll harder?

@rvone said:

@extomar said:

So was your response your honest feeling or sarcasm?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Any word on this coming out on anything besides PS4 and PC? I wasn't impressed by Bastion but I'm willing to give this a shot too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. I wasn't sure whether I should care about Transistor or not, and that sweep of scores combined with how much I liked Bastion makes a sale. Looking forward to picking it up now.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#40  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Doesn't surprise me that Quarter to Three is the outlier. If nothing else though, Tom Chick at least backs up the score pretty well in his review.

I'll have to acquire this game at some point. (probably on-sale)

Yeah, people seem to dismiss Quarter to Three just because they often have lower scores than the others, without actually reading the reviews, but his reviews are usually really well written, and more often than not I find myself sharing his views on the games in question.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum said:

they have one of the best digital artists around hands down.

I'd say so. It's absolutely gorgeous. Do you know what their name is? I want to look at more of their stuff.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I... really want to like this game. I LOVED Bastion, in fact it was one of my favorite games of the previous generation, but the combination of over-narration and ok implementation of something Vagrant Story did much better makes me really sad about playing this game.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aegon

@spraynardtatum: Her name is Jen Zee. And yes, she is probably one of my favourite artists.

This might be my favourite of her personal pieces. It's sort of an interpretation of the rainbow guard from Game of Thrones / Ice and Fire:

No Caption Provided

Also she posted this today:

No Caption Provided

Over here

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: thanks so much! Just found a great new wallpaper!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@siroptimusprime: Nothing's better than Vagrant Story, if it even takes something from VS that's a good sign.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@joshwent said:

@audiobusting said:

I've actually never read any of his reviews, just heard people complaining about him, so I read this one finally and... it makes total sense.

The risk of fleshing out a story through ancillary text, as Bioshock: Infinite was also heavily criticised for, is that if the player isn't motivated to read/engage with all of that stuff, they'll end up with a shallow experience. It seems like Chick also just ever liked the combat, which probably informed his 2/5 more than these more interesting criticisms, but the feeling of detachment from the character (from what I saw in the QL at least) seems completely understandable.

I always hated lengthy text logs within games. I love reading books, but I don't like to do it while in a game. From what I've played thus far there is a lot of reading and for whatever reason my eyes tend to glaze over at times and I find myself having to reread passages a couple of times. It doesn't help that at the very outset of the game you are reading things that appear to be so completely ripped out of context and just thrown at you. I enjoy a bit of mystery as much as anyone else, but it feels like you've opened a book halfway through and just started reading random passages at times.

Maybe some people like that, I don't particularly enjoy it. I don't understand why anyone who spent a decent amount of time building an intricate and detailed story, would simply dump it onto background text documents and hey if you find it you find it. Seems like a huge waste.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@siroptimusprime: Nothing's better than Vagrant Story, if it even takes something from VS that's a good sign.

Hmm...well I'm planning on playing Vagrant Story eventually, so perhaps the transition (*wink*) from this game to VS will be a smooth one.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Downloaded the game to my PS4 while I was at work (so far my second favorite feature of the new consoles, audio directly from the controller into headphones is my number 1) and can't wait to play it. I hope tonight but could be a day or two before I get to see that beautiful art and awesome music.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Any word on when this is out for Mac? Have neither PS4 nor a PC.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@aegon: Hey if it gets you to play it then sure. VS is far from easy though. I guess I'm going to buy Transistor since I never bought Bastion but always admired it from afar; I'll let you know how warranted the comparison is (the main thing is the bubble that pops up when you engage in the "turnbasedness"; VATS from Fallout 3 is also the same sort of thing and uses the same color palette)