#1 Edited by SunBroZak (1198 posts) -

I noticed that a lot of people mentioned they have a fear of large, open-bodies of water and/or underwater sections in video-games in the phobia thread. So, what's your favourite?

I think the most memorable one in my eyes was the Jolly Roger Bay in Mario 64. Unagi the Eel was terrifying as a child.

While not scary by any means, I also really liked the underwater sections in Bioshock 2. They offered a new perspective on Rapture. I only wish they had explored the potential of those sections a little more.

#2 Edited by TruthTellah (9307 posts) -

Being stuck in the water and confused how to get out in a Sonic game was relatively stressful.

The number counting down to Sonic drowning would start ticking and the music would get more and more alarming as he gasped for more breath until you either got out or watched as Sonic drowned to death.

http://retrowaretv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/drowning-sonic.jpg

#3 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Shadow of the Colossus in particular

Everything else that includes the possibility of drowning, especially drowning in small enclosed spaces.

Edit: "Favourite" underwater sections isn't a thing that exists in my head they're terrifying in almost every example.

#4 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

I generally have a mini panic attack every time I'm given an underwater sequence to traverse. The first one that comes to mind that just broke me was the first Amnesia.

However, I can't wait for the Souls games to give us an underwater sequence. That shit will ruin my BP.

#5 Edited by NTM (7479 posts) -

I'm terrified of real deep water, I like it in games though. I'm not quite sure what I would consider the scariest water section in a game. When under water, that's not the scary part; not necessarily anyways, it's the part of being on top and not knowing how far down it is to reach the bottom, and what you don't know is underneath you.

#6 Edited by SunBroZak (1198 posts) -

However, I can't wait for the Souls games to give us an underwater sequence. That shit will ruin my BP.

With all the emphasis that's placed on rolling/weight mechanics, I'm not entirely sure how they'd go about it. Though even the thought of fighting on ice, seeing creatures swimming in the water below you, terrifies me.

#7 Edited by avantegardener (1130 posts) -

Firstly, fuck underwater naturally, although my time with AC4 did manage to salve a lot of my fear, I don't give a fuck shark, I'll just drown, because as long as I get at least one chest, I can just restart and get the rest. I think the scariest one I can remember is the Shark in RE1.

#8 Posted by TruthTellah (9307 posts) -

@siroptimusprime said:

With all the emphasis that's placed on rolling/weight mechanics, I'm not entirely sure how they'd go about it. Though even the thought of fighting on ice, seeing creatures swimming in the water below you, terrifies me.

Imagine if you're swimming in the water with a light that can only illuminate a little bit ahead of you? Everything else is just a darkness with flashes of movement right outside your vision. Occasionally, you get flashes of light showing the horrors around you, but all you can do is keep swimming.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (12086 posts) -

Yep, I really liked the BioShock 2 sections too:

Also, Terror From the Deep is a great game. Some of the underwater levels actually did get pretty terrifying, especially the noises during the "Hidden Movement" screen. Also, the parts where you're in alien buildings can get really tense.

#10 Posted by PlayPaul (54 posts) -

I always get nervous in (under)water sections when I know there are sharks (or other aggressive sea creatures) lurking around. The underwater sequences in Tomb Raider scared me when I was younger, but even swimming around in GTAV made me a little bit anxious. I still blame Steven Spielberg.

#11 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

It's not underwater but the hydras in Dark Souls still make me anxious, they're so close to the edge of the abyss it makes me shiver.

A demo of Treasures of the Deep scared me shitless as a kid. Constant sonar beeps and bubbling noises, sharks of all kinds and the token giant moray eel. Looking back it was really cool.

#12 Edited by csl316 (8942 posts) -

Tomb Raider messed me up for a while with deep water. Those crocodiles in the Tomb of Tihocan... *shudders*

Imagine my delight when TR2 drops you in the middle of the ocean surrounded by sharks. What fun!!!!!!

Most actual fun was Critical Depth. Underwater Twisted Metal, but half the fun was exploring these giant PS1 environments full of secrets. Not to mention the music I still listen to to this day.

#13 Posted by Guesty_01 (368 posts) -

The year is 1999. The game is EverQuest. The quest, go into the Lake of Ill Omen and fight some lizard things.

Shit got real, son.

#14 Posted by SunBroZak (1198 posts) -

@sunbrozak said:

@siroptimusprime said:

Imagine if you're swimming in the water with a light that can only illuminate a little bit ahead of you? Everything else is just a darkness with flashes of movement right outside your vision. Occasionally, you get flashes of light showing the horrors around you, but all you can do is keep swimming.

That makes me nervous just thinking about it. I don't know if I would be pleasantly surprised, or horrified if From Software placed something like that in Dark Souls 2.

#15 Edited by automatontribe (198 posts) -

When I was a kid I was completely terrified by the part with the angler fish in ape escape. You can get through that part of the level much faster if you swim and dodge the fish but I always stuck with the boat and it's terrible controls.

#16 Posted by vikingdeath1 (982 posts) -

That part in Knights of the Old Republic, on Manaan ( I think?) Really scared me as a kid as Sharks freak me out.

That part will always stick with me.

Also: Underwater sections are the BANE of videogames. i've never found one that I "Liked"

#17 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1620 posts) -

I noticed that a lot of people mentioned they have a fear of large, open-bodies of water and/or underwater sections in video-games in the phobia thread. So, what's your favourite?

I think the most memorable one in my eyes was the Jolly Roger Bay in Mario 64. Unagi the Eel was terrifying as a child.

While not scary by any means, I also really liked the underwater sections in Bioshock 2. They offered a new perspective on Rapture. I only wish they had explored the potential of those sections a little more.

Super Mario 64 was absolutely terrifying to me. I have a horrible fear of drowning, and I couldn't let his breath drop into the red or I would freak out, run away, and get my mom to move Mario back up to the surface. She got really good at Super Mario 64.

#18 Edited by CitizenCoffeeCake (577 posts) -

Man fuck underwater. Shadows of the Empire for N64 has a part where you can fall in some green murky water and there are some weird star wars ass creatures in there, it freaked me out. That being said, Bioshock 2's underwater stuff was cool.

#19 Posted by TruthTellah (9307 posts) -

Man fuck underwater. Shadows of the Empire for N64 has a part where you can fall in some green murky water and there are some weird star wars ass creatures in there, it freaked me out. That being said, Bioshock 2's underwater stuff was cool.

Oh man, that murky water sequence in SotE. Definitely a creepy moment. Janky and creepy.

#20 Posted by Pabba (373 posts) -

I don't have a favorite, but I do have a least favorite, and that's the Aquis realm in Primal, which is all underwater. Swimming in that game is terrible, and you still get into combat situations. Ugh, never again.

#21 Posted by Dr_Cassidy (9 posts) -

Dino Crisis 2 had a pretty good underwater segment.

#22 Posted by afabs515 (1176 posts) -

Currently, I believe that Assassin's Creed 4 has the most breathtaking and coolest underwater sections. The first time I went underwater in the diving bell, I just stared at my computer in shock and awe.

#23 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5710 posts) -

Crysis 1 looked the best underwater, though ACIV is pretty sweet too.

#24 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@sunbrozak said:

@siroptimusprime said:

That makes me nervous just thinking about it. I don't know if I would be pleasantly surprised, or horrified if From Software placed something like that in Dark Souls 2.

And that's exactly why I want it. Don't make it really combat focused - give me it as a lore-centric zone or a transition/traversal zone (that only relies on moving through that mesmerizing and frightening area).

God, I never realized how much I really wanted this until I explained it a bit.

#25 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5797 posts) -

The entirety of Bioshock.

#26 Posted by HistoryInRust (6334 posts) -

@siroptimusprime: I will say that, while not technically an underwater sequence, wading out into the lagoon in Darkroot Basin to confront the Hydra is maybe the most uncomfortable I've ever been playing a game in the last few years.

#27 Posted by Jeust (10737 posts) -

I liked a lot the sections in Last of Us. They were cool.

#28 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1188 posts) -
Fuck you, Snacker.

#29 Posted by Veektarius (4920 posts) -

@sunbrozak: I hated that level because of that eel.

#30 Posted by HellBound (1160 posts) -

I think I hate underwater and mine-cart levels the most in games.

The sonic one is pretty good though in terms of "This is fucking frustrating as fuck!"

#31 Posted by SomberOwl (695 posts) -

World 2 Level 2 in Classic Super Mario for the NES.

#32 Edited by TobbRobb (4732 posts) -

As a kid I got freaked out by one of my favorite games, Jak and Daxter. If you swim too far out into the deep waters, this heartbeat starts pounding faster and a giant fish comes to eat you. I love that game, but fuck that fish. I swear that thing is what traumatized me to hating deep waters to begin with.

#33 Posted by mosespippy (4285 posts) -

Underwater levels are almost always crap. The latest GTA game being a good example.

Tomb Raider Underworld had a tolerable one and a shitty one.

#34 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3108 posts) -

@citizencoffeecake said:

Oh man, that murky water sequence in SotE. Definitely a creepy moment. Janky and creepy.

Man, the boss at the end of that level. That screwed me up for weeks. Can't stand giant things underwater/poor visibility. The water-snake colossus in SotC got to me almost the same way.

#35 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3562 posts) -

Who else misread this as scariest underwear sections?

#36 Posted by nevalis (79 posts) -

For me it was Rayman Origins' Abyss stage that gave me the biggest impression of isolation and helplessness underwater. The transition is great too as you start off in a happy tranquil scene, but as you descend further, the music fades out and is replaced by a somber piano. Next thing you know, you're surrounded by complete darkness where your only light source and means of survival is quickly diminishing unless you swim further to replenish it. One wrong move into the darkness and a claw was waiting to end you.

#37 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

@xalienxgreyx said:

Shadow of the Colossus in particular

This was probably my favorite one.

Who else misread this as scariest underwear sections?

Not sure about scariest underwear section but the naked section with Raiden in MGS2 was really fucking weird/creepy.

#38 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5839 posts) -

The giant eels in Majora's mask freaked me the fuck out.

#39 Edited by leinad44 (523 posts) -

Clanker scared the shit out of me when I played the first Banjo Kazooiee

#40 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

I'm trying to think of one but I'm just not sure there's an underwater stage I'm afraid of. Running out of breath in Sonic is usually pretty tense though, I've heard a lot of people say that scared them as a kid.

#41 Posted by crithon (3322 posts) -

sigh, I hate swiming sequences.

#42 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3903 posts) -

I remember the shark in Tomb Raider 2 being a terrifying sumbitch.

Look at that thing!

#43 Posted by Castiel (2661 posts) -

Yes, YES. I need nightmare fuel.

#44 Edited by Wuddel (2098 posts) -