This game is so underwhelming.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I haven't finished it yet, but so far Watch Dogs is more frustrating than interesting.

I find side missions to be boring, some are just mini-puzzles where you follow a glowing line to unlock something, then go back and open a door, others just seem like cookie-cutter open world missions.

Then there's the morality. Considering how bad vehicles control, I find it stupid that you are 'punished' for running over pedestrians. It's not even if you kill them, if you INJURE them you still get penalized. You can happily invade someone's privacy during their most embarrassing moments, steal thousands from their bank accounts, but it's okay because you're seeking justice!

The cops appear out of fucking nowhere, and are requested by pedestrians sometimes a huge distance away, giving you little to no time to avoid the cops on your ass. Then once they are on your ass, avoiding them isn't fun. Drive over bridge, raise bridge, open gate, close gate, hide in car, rinse-repeat.

Combat is bad, weapons have zero punch, collecting 'materials' to make consumables is such a dumb idea too, I can't believe how many people have unsafe radioactive chemicals in their glove box

The map seems way bigger than it really is, getting from one place to another never really seems that far.

So, I guess the only things I can say that I like is that it LOOKS great and there is something interesting going on, deep inside Watch Dogs. The spying on people is fun, and I spend most of my time running around hacking people because the concept is actually pretty cool.

Anyone else completely lukewarm on this game, or am I just missing something?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought that was the general consensus on the game? I've heard nothing but bad things about Watch_Dogs.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

The game is a three star game. It's not broken or even bad. It's just incredibly middling. I would have to say in the end I enjoyed the game but the mere expectations this game had to go against pretty much set it up to fail

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

I liked it, but it wasn't anything special for the most part. I mainly liked roaming the world, seeing new places, and thought the main missions were designed interestingly enough. I didn't particularly feel much for the majority of characters or the story though unfortunately. The shooting and stealth stuff was decent, though not original. I never personally expected the game to be as it originally was shown off to be, nor would I say I was all that excited for it, but I got it because I wanted more games to play on the new-gen consoles, and it surprised me in how much I actually enjoyed it. Eh, yeah, I liked the game but it's not special.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By glots

Pretty much like said above, most opinions of the game seem to sail between decent and bad. That was also the case for me, though I didn't really hate any particular part (or well, some of those carchases and escapes from tha police towards the end turned into some hot bullshit...) of it. GTA V and inFamous still being fresh in my mind as great open-world games probably also affected my opinion. Hopefully they'll nail it with the sequel at least.

shirokumakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Just beat this last night, I found it completely ok. The beginning of the game I really enjoyed but by Act 4 they start throwing bullshit chases and action scenarios that took the fun out of the game for me. God damn that last mission is completely bullshit...fuck.

I enjoyed probably more than I hated about the game, but the hate was so back loaded in the story/scenarios that I just have a bad taste in my mouth about the game. I highly look foreword to a sequel and hope they fix the stupid shit about this.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ntm said:

I liked it, but it wasn't anything special for the most part. I mainly liked roaming the world, seeing new places, and thought the main missions were designed interestingly enough. I didn't particularly feel much for the majority of characters or the story though unfortunately. The shooting and stealth stuff was decent, though not original. I never personally expected the game to be as it originally was shown off to be, nor would I say I was all that excited for it, but I got it because I wanted more games to play on the new-gen consoles, and it surprised me in how much I actually enjoyed it. Eh, yeah, I liked the game but it's not special.

These are my feelings on it as well. It didn't deserve the overwhelming hate it got just because it didn't live up to unreasonable expectations.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its pretty lackluster yeah.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is okay, I would say it is close to being the definition of a three-star game, it isn't broken or straight up bad - but at the same time it is completely forgettable and only occasionally enjoyable enough to stick with it till the end.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Man I really haven't read anything that makes me want to play this game.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I really wish I liked it, but I just have no motivation to play it.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont think its GOTY either,but i like it better than gta 5 which i liked also.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't get me started on the Social Lubricant trophy.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once I unlocked the new hideout in the story and I stopped and moved on with other games. Don't think I'll go back in a while. It's an alright game, just feels flat and lifeless most of the time.

roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main character in the game isnt actually seeking justice, hes out for revenge, and he will do anything to get it. If he wanted justice hed wear a mask and a cape and call himself something stupid, like manbat or shooterman, and go around punching minorities.

Other than that, yeah, the game is entirely middling. Its not bad, its just...meh. Kinda like Firefall, and Defiance.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Yeah...really bummed me out. Not one year ago was this game the supposed hit launch Ip for the new consoles, then it came out and was just as lackluster as all of those delays implied. I know the comparison's been struck down by some, but like Assassin's creed, I'll be interested to see a sequel hopefully polish up on some of the ideas of the original.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Rebel_Scum

I find the main quest has some really great missions in it. The side quests are a bit underwhelming. In a way its just a traditional Ubisoft open world game where they try too hard to shove crap to do in it. That lowers the score for me.

Also the music sucks and the Assassins Creed like character controls don't feel as good as GTA controls do. The shooting is better though.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Branthog

I found the story to be ridiculous, the hacking gimmick to be tiresome and silly, and the main character to be forgettable (the Canadian girl or T-Bone would have been more compelling main characters). I found the side-quests time-consuming game-padding and barely touched them (I didn't even know that they unlocked bonuses to your abilities until I had finished the game, which I did in two sittings).

I also found the world to be lifeless and the "find out everything about every person you meet" gimmick to be dumb and far less involved than I think all of us imagined prior to playing. The world looks okay as to the graphics, generally. That is, they did not impress me terribly, but I think they meet the minimal standard for "next gen" so close to launch. The other thing that I found strange was just how small the world is. I measured it, by selecting the furthest away point on the map while I was on the other end of it and converting meters into miles -- and came up with (it has been a few months, so going by memory, here) something like four square miles. For the entire city of Chicago, including burbs and rural mountain area.

Yet, despite all this, I was compelled to play it all the way through. Something I still have not done with GTA V, despite starting playing that at launch, too. I will probably buy a second iteration on this game, but its sophomore effort needs to pack a lot of punch to make up for what it currently is. I want more open world games, but not if this is the best (non GTA titles) can manage, right now.