Do you consider the Wii-U to be a true "next gen" system?

• 160 results
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

Edited By ShadowMoses900

Poll Do you consider the Wii-U to be a true "next gen" system? (589 votes)

Yes 36%
No 64%

Seeing as how the PS4 was just announced, all of it's games make the Wii-U look like it's going to end up being a gen behind. Not saying the Wii-U is a bad system or anything, I will be getting one later for Nintendo's 1st party games. But outside of that I just can't see it as a true "next gen" system.

I honestly think the Wii-U won't be a stand alone system for Nintendo. Much of the success of the Wii was mostly based on gimmicky games that attracted gamers who weren't too serious about the hobby to begin with (I hate the terms "casual" and "hardcore" when it comes to gamers), it worked well for the Wii no doubt but that was because it was mostly a fad. The crowd that was interested in those games no longer seem to care about it anymore, hence why the Wii-U isn't doing as well in sales anymore (not that I care about this, I'm a gamer not a share holder).

What is the future of the Wii-U? Many 3rd party devs such as EA are talking about not bringing their future games over to the platform at all due to it's lack of power. I think Nintendo will release another system later, a more powerful one, as they will need that 3rd party support.

What do you think?

EA CEO says Wii-U is notnext gen... - GameFAQs

• 
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#151  Edited By fattony12000
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#152  Edited By LackingSaint

You really think a year into the generation this question is still relevant? I mean in the transition period, when the Wii-U was out but not the PS4 or Xbox One, sure I can get behind not really being sure if they can all be grouped together or not. But in mid-2014, from an industry and consumer standpoint, the Wii U is clearly a next-gen console. People could say "Well it isn't up to par technologically" but that has never ever been the thing that defines whether or not a system is a part of its generation.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#153  Edited By NMC2008

Nope. I own a Wii U but no, I don't consider it a next gen console.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@egg said:

The term next gen has lost meaning for me. PS and Xbox are not next gen anymore. (if they ever were) They are 30 fps, sub HD, paid online, no BC, no controller BC, "give-us-money" boxes. There's virtually nothing next gen about them. And I learned last gen that if you're not playing an online game then the experience is profoundly similar to playing on a PS2--it is a lonely vacuum where the hardware is of little consequence.

A vast majority of single player games available for the 360 and PS3 simply could not have worked on the PS2 even with the graphics toned way down.

Vast majority? I can quote you on that?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@egg said:

@believer258 said:

@egg said:

The term next gen has lost meaning for me. PS and Xbox are not next gen anymore. (if they ever were) They are 30 fps, sub HD, paid online, no BC, no controller BC, "give-us-money" boxes. There's virtually nothing next gen about them. And I learned last gen that if you're not playing an online game then the experience is profoundly similar to playing on a PS2--it is a lonely vacuum where the hardware is of little consequence.

A vast majority of single player games available for the 360 and PS3 simply could not have worked on the PS2 even with the graphics toned way down.

Vast majority? I can quote you on that?

Yes. Number of NPC's, AI routines, things that can happen on screen, physics calculations, etc., the PS2 cannot calculate those things to anywhere near the same level that the 360 could and thus the same games would not have worked, even if the graphics were cut far down. The processor - the CPU, not the GPU (GPU=graphics processing unit, specializes in what you see) - just could not process things fast enough to run the likes of GTA V, Red Dead Redemption, Saints Row the Third, Tomb Raider, Call of Duty, The Last of Us, Vanquish, Uncharted, Halo, and pretty much anything you might consider remarkable that came out this generation.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Absolutely. Just because the majority of the games have a specific art style, doesn't mean that it's not "next gen/current gen".

Stuff looks amazing - colors pop - and animations and movement are like butter.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care either way. I've got one. I have fun playing it.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You really think a year into the generation this question is still relevant? I mean in the transition period, when the Wii-U was out but not the PS4 or Xbox One, sure I can get behind not really being sure if they can all be grouped together or not. But in mid-2014, from an industry and consumer standpoint, the Wii U is clearly a next-gen console. People could say "Well it isn't up to par technologically" but that has never ever been the thing that defines whether or not a system is a part of its generation.

Of course it's worth discussing. Just look at all the people discussing it? Just because you disagree with the question doesn't mean it should be banished.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

All the first party games look way better than most Xbox 360 and PS3 games. Only a few, Gears of War and MLB The Show, are at least on par or slightly better. Even if Wii U doesn't have the enhanced textures, SSAO lighting, and tesselation of PS4 games, it's ports of PS3 games seem to be rendering at closer to 720p than that 525x525 render developers used to rely on. They look clearer and less jaggy.

The tablet picture quality is a lot higher and instantly turns on compared to the Vita Remote Play. And PS4, Vita, and a memory card is a $700 commitment. Wii U doesn't look $450 worse. The tablet adds a lot of futuristic feel to it. I watched all the GB twitch late night streams on the U tablet, so their crappy browser can at least do twitch well, and without turning on the TV or needing 5 mins to set up remote play. It's as good as what Playroom streams are to PS4. A niche feature I'm spending more time with than actual next Gen games (cause there are so few.) Or Seinfeld's Wizard tip calculator.

I'm sure two to three years from now games like Uncharted will blow Wiiu out of the water but for now it's holding it's own.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a question you only care about if you're in that desperate "console wars" mentality where you feel an uncontrollable compulsion to establish the superiority/inferiority of an entertainment device, in comparison to other entertainment devices.

So basically,

*GROAN*