Do you take someone less seriously when they use the term "Xbone"?

• 120 results
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Poll Do you take someone less seriously when they use the term "Xbone"? (399 votes)

Yes 34%
No 66%

I don't know about you guys, but at this point I'll often stop reading a forum post if I see this term being used. Not everyone seems to use it to imply negativity, but even so, it's an annoyingly ugly term that just screams "Let's try to be clever on the internet!" Key word, of course, being try.

If you legitimately believe this term to be a good shorthand for Xbox One, then, well, I'm sorry—it's really not.

Perhaps I just hold words to too high a standard.

• 
Spongetwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

To me they can call it whatever they want. I am not even particular about my name, lol. No biggy.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#102  Edited By Darson

XBOne is a legitimate term for the XBox One. It is just your mind digging down into the gutter.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XBOne is a legitimate term for the XBox One. It is just your mind digging down into the gutter.

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Who cares? It's a console name. Have fun with it.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

I don't even use it as a derogatory term. That's what the shorthand is, and it differentiates it from the original Xbox.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By EXTomar

Fun thought experiment: Lets say that CBSi wanted to make a service called Giant Bomb One. The Giant Bomb crew knows what kind of audience we are. Hell we know what kind of audience we are. We love Giant Bomb but how many of us would let it slide for failing to notice the common acronym would spell out 'gbone'?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@extomar said:

Fun thought experiment: Lets say that CBSi wanted to make a service called Giant Bomb One. The Giant Bomb crew knows what kind of audience we are. Hell we know what kind of audience we are. We love Giant Bomb but how many of us would let it slide for failing to notice the common acronym would spell out 'gbone'?

I don't think I'd ever think of it that way because thats not how acronyms work. The same way there is absolutely no sense in saying Xbone. Why wouldn't you abbreviate One? PSfour sounds pretty stupid. So either XBO or XB1 but writing out Xbone is counterproductive in every single way.

SongWriter1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By SongWriter1987

Apparently wikipedia is referring to it as XBO... i'm cool with that.

However, the name Xbox One is pretty retarded, so the way I see it, Microsoft earned the nickname "Xbone" and the only people who have a problem with that are fanboy cunts.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

At this point I don't really take anyone saying anything about either console seriously regardless of what they call them.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

Yep, it's just the same as "Micro$oft". Once you type that out I know you have nothing worth paying attention to.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@extomar said:

I don't think I'd ever think of it that way because thats not how acronyms work. The same way there is absolutely no sense in saying Xbone. Why wouldn't you abbreviate One? PSfour sounds pretty stupid. So either XBO or XB1 but writing out Xbone is counterproductive in every single way.

This is the nature of memes though. Trying to force people to not think one way when it is semi-obvious is hard and takes a lot of time...and what marketing is supposedly paid gobs of money for. Going back to the CBSi/gbone example: If someone is unahppy with Giant Bomb or CBSi or the color shirt Vinny is wearing while doing a segment, would anyone be surprised when the "gbone" comments start to fly?

I'm not into branding but I have sat on engineering meetings where this gets discussed and we warn them that ignoring that aspect of branding is done so "at your own peril". It is not impossible to shake the "xbone" thing but it is going to take a lot of time and energy. Time and energy they didn't need to spend if they went with some other variant. Off the top of my head, "XBox Infinity" is nice and much harder to "warp" into something negative that sticks when the pitchfork brigade shows up.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Xbone is the MOST serious.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#114  Edited By Justin258

Apparently wikipedia is referring to it as XBO... i'm cool with that.

However, the name Xbox One is pretty retarded, so the way I see it, Microsoft earned the nickname "Xbone" and the only people who have a problem with that are fanboy cunts.

Hey look! My reply came already done for me!

Microsoft's the one that gave it a stupid name in the first place so I'll call it by its equally stupid nickname. It's easier to type, it's easier to say, and I sure as hell am not going to say "Xbox One" every fucking time I want to refer to it.

Come to think of it, I wonder if MS will go ahead and change the name, too? Just throw the whole thing out of the window?

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will keep saying Xbone because its their fault for naming their console in a stupid way. If that change the name (which at this point why the fuck not) I wont call it Xbone. Until then, get used to it and get over yourselves thinking your too high and mighty for the commoners who say Xbone. Its really stupid and makes more people say it

Bill_Rizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will keep saying Xbone because its their fault for naming their console in a stupid way. If that change the name (which at this point why the fuck not) I wont call it Xbone. Until then, get used to it and get over yourselves thinking your too high and mighty for the commoners who say Xbone. Its really stupid and makes more people say it

Sony Drones are the only ones who use the term Xbone. If you hear a game journalist use the term, there's a good chance they've been indoctrinated just like this guy.

No Caption Provided

http://i.minus.com/ib04oymE3m3fjV.gif

Bill_Rizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Bill_Rizer

Sony Drones are the only ones who use the term Xbone. If you hear a game journalist use the term, there's a good chance they've been indoctrinated just like this guy.

No Caption Provided

http://i.minus.com/ib04oymE3m3fjV.gif

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not really. The people I stop taking seriously are the ones that use "M$"

I voted yes, but THIS is the one that gets me every time. I always think of the bit from the Bombcast where Jeff and Ryan were making fun of that shit. Oh, what a great piece of radio.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the easiest way to say it. Not my fault.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#120  Edited By Palmlykta

whats wrong with xbone? its the pstripple of its generation yo.