Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor Hits Kickstarter Goal in Less Than 40 Minutes

• 193 results
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's pretty rad to see there's a strong demand for big games that don't use shooting people in the face as their primary mechanic.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That is pretty sweet to hear.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#104  Edited By Lazyaza

I feel like various clips from past podcasts of Jeff and Brad shitting all over Banjo Kazooie, calling the fans that want a new proper game crazy etc etc would be appropriate right now.

I mean god damn, 40 minutes. Maybe you guys should be a little more open to the idea now that maybe just maybe this is a thing a lot of people want ey?

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now the question is how high will it go? I think this is a little optimistic and it's bound to slow down.

No Caption Provided

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#106  Edited By LegalBagel

Cautiously excited for this. Loved the Banjo games back in the day and it'll be great to see those people going back to their roots. Though I'm not sure what they're going to crank out for a few hundred thousand as a Unity-based game. Cost-saving aside, that's not a ton of money to make a 3D game with varied worlds. They admit that is less than the original Banjo Kazooie was built for back on the N64 decades ago.

And while they're right that Nuts and Bolts was pretty amazing, it's weird how the GB guys hate the original games and pretty much every 3D platformer that isn't a Mario game. The collection and move-based, exploration-heavy platformer became incredibly popular generations ago for a reason.

Dberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Dberg

I used to be way into platformers / coinhunting games, and now I couldn't be more done with them. So I'm curious as to how well this'll go and if that's a shared sentiment.

At the very least, we'll probably get a kickass soundtrack. I still load up the Banjo Kazooie OST every now and then!

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#108  Edited By MormonWarrior

Banjo-Kazooie was (and is) better than Mario 64 in every possible way, but Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel are the only good 3D platformers that I can think of in the past ten years. I hope this turns out well, though Rare peaked early on the N64 and got way too collectible-heavy with their subsequent games. I'm a little hesitant to really get too hopeful about this but I would love it if it turns out well.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/mormonwarrior/lists/my-top-35-games-of-all-time/89445/

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By SomeJerk

Some wording makes it seem like this could have been THE new Banjo game, but Microsoft didn't act on time so they cut it, made it a new IP and took it to kickstarter.

(This was originally cancelled once? Then that would be it, its roots.)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazyaza: i wouldn't get too bent up about it. Also i think you may be twisting their words/feelings a bit? I know we were hurting for a good 3d platformer but i don't think anyone expected this kind of reaction.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

With David Wise and Grant Kirkhope tunes playing in the background of that video, this had absolutely no chance of failing.

Springfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

i would love to play something that resembles banjo, but the character designs for this look horrible

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

I'm super excited, it looks rad and everything they've said has sounded spot on. They're really doing it properly. Love the characters, love the roll move (Like DKCR/TF in 3D!) love the potential.

I popped down 150 dollarsish. Woo!

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Glad to see it go so well. I like the last one I played... though I can hardly remember it now.

ph00p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let the disappointment begin!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#117 chaser324  Moderator

@flameboy84: Pay no mind to that Kicktraq stuff, especially not this early in the Kickstarter campaign. A trend line based on less than one day (or one week for that matter) of data is completely worthless.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For as much as i dislike the Banjo games i just had to support this one. We need more variety in games today and a 3D platformer at that? I'm in.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Good! I'll be kicking money to them when the game comes out.

Nuts & Bolts sucked

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm excited for this. I don't think it will be groundbreaking, but for $15 for a Steam key how can you really go wrong? The music and nostalgia trip alone is worth that.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought it was a bit of an oversight on Dan's part that I had to go to the actual Kickstarter page to see that, yes, this is coming to PC as well... first, no less. C'mon, Dan, don't leave info like that out! Not all Kickstarter games get a PC release (As we saw with Amplitude) so it's not always a given.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They hit a million dollars 5 hours in.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Rare-style on a Nintendo console? God this makes me so happy! :D Next, we need a spiritual successor to Jet Force Gemini

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Wow, I didn't think Kickstarter games could pull in so much money so quickly anymore. Very impressive.

I loved Banjo-Kazooie, you guys.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what the new stretch goals will be after it hits a million pounds. I'm hoping for some sort of Dev show stream or podcast.

Ithryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Ithryn

David Wise and Grant Kirkhope? Take my money!!!

I need my stickerbrush symphony / click clock wood mashup.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's weird, I never even played these games but I backed it.

Why? Because I want a 3D platformer outside of Mario (and I actually liked Knack, so you can see where my standards are).

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:

@venekor said:

PC version or I don't care.

Apparently you don't care anyway considering that the cheapest backing tier that gets you the game is the Steam version, but it's way more edgy to be immediately dismissive of everything.

this is what we call getting fucking faced. Damn.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I feel like they set the bar super low to begin with for the game they're trying to make. Their Kickstarter goal is approximately $270,000 USD, which is insanely low to make a 3D platformer.

Or are the developers located somewhere where the cost of living is dramatically lower than most of the U.S. cities where a lot of game development happens? Because honestly, $270,000 is nothing, and if they had just barely made that goal, I don't think the final game would've been very polished or very long. So thankfully they're blowing past it, but I wonder if this is all a PR move to make their Kickstarter look super successful from the get go when really they rope-a-doped everyone by setting an unrealistically low Kickstarter goal.

The team has said they aren't dependent on the Kickstarter to complete the game, but they wouldn't be able to do all of the stuff they want without it.

King_of_Fanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game isn't my cup of tea, but awesome for those who clearly want it.

mikael110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By mikael110

For all the people surprised at the fact that this is planned as a multiplatform game, it should be noted that they are developing this game in Unity.

If they were making this game with their own custom engine, that they had to custom make for all of the platforms in question then yes, that would be insane for the amount of money they asked.

But with Unity it is actually relatively trivial to release the game on many platforms without too much extra work, so that part of their goal is not as crazy as people seems to make it out to be.

devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have more reverence and nostalgia for RARE's N64 library than I do with Nintendo's N64 library, so this interests me greatly.

Darkstar_Pug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is what happiness feels like...

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time this happens I consider it a giant middle finger to the publishers that refused to put money into these great ideas, and that makes me extremely happy.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Banjo was great. Not nearly as good as Mario, but still a fantastic game.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#136  Edited By Ben_H

@swat200 said:

Every time this happens I consider it a giant middle finger to the publishers that refused to put money into these great ideas, and that makes me extremely happy.

Funnily enough, one of the involved people basically said this outright:

Grant Kirkhope @grantkirkhope · 6h hours ago

All those years telling people that this kind of game was wanted and being told that I was wrong ...... fuck'em all!

Edit: Also, holy shit they might hit every stretch goal within 24 hours. They're already at 3/4 of a million pounds.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This actually looks really, really good. I'm interested. Pumped on the music alone.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@ben_h said:

Edit: Also, holy shit they might hit every stretch goal within 24 hours. They're already at 3/4 of a million pounds.

Yeah. When I first saw this I was hoping they would hit that last stretch goal since I don't have a good PC and would prefer playing it on my PS4. I didn't expect them to get there as fast as it seems like they will. I've never gave to any kickstarter before, but I almost want to go ahead and throw some money in.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My appetite for 3d platformers has not been met for many years. I've never played Banjo but this seems pretty neat. I'm glad to see that solid looking Kickstarters still have the potential to be successful too.

chubbs21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that was an easy sell... I haven't even heard about this until just now and I already know I'm buying it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am up for a 3D platformer, but I really hope they try and do something new with it. Grow Home was cool because it felt like a perfect mix between new and old game concepts. This just looks like a modern n64 game, which is kind of boring.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said the name of the game out loud and finally got it.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

This is really cool to see, but I honestly think those character designs are about as uninspired as it gets.

red720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By red720

Banjo Kazooie had good graphics, but very little else going for it. Mario 64 was a far better game.

I don't understand why people are excited for this.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

It's pretty rad to see there's a strong demand for big games that don't use shooting people in the face as their primary mechanic.

stomping your foes into pasty mush is such a more palatable concept. :D

FranticRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The main character is a chameleon and the supporting character is a bat. Sounds absolutely ripe for forced stealth sections! Or maybe some very dark echo-location? Eh? EH? Oh man I'm the best game designer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BUT JEFF AND BRAD TOLD ME 3D PLATFORMERS SUCK AND NO ONE WANTS THEM ANYMORE

THIS CAN'T BE

iloveyouprismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait didnt Brad just say on the podcast that kickstarter games wont ever have crazy funding based entirely on nostalgia of the old series, or something like that.....well yeah

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red720 said:

Banjo Kazooie had good graphics, but very little else going for it. Mario 64 was a far better game.

I don't understand why people are excited for this.

Surely you can 'understand'. Banjo-Kazooie is the second-most revered 3D platforming series in video game history, whether you enjoyed the series yourself or not. They're making a new Star Wars, and although I don't like Star Wars much, I can 'understand' why people are excited for more.

Telecinision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seemed like a relatively safe Kickstarter project to back. My wishful thinking is the announcement of a Vita version, the platform sorely needs 3D platformers.