The Legend of Zelda

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

@hunter5024 said:

@bisonhero: Adding twenty minutes of sailing between every piece of meaningful content sucked, expanding upon the combat put too much focus on a relatively unimportant part of the game, and the art style clashed with the tone of the story.

Nuh-uh.

However, I think Phantom Hourglass' sailing/Spirit Tracks' train riding DO add 1-5 minutes of incredibly uneventful travel and have one of the worst overworlds ever, because there is way less to do in those overworlds compared to all of the little islands, enemy platforms, submarines, squid battles, etc. that are in Wind Waker to find. The DS Zelda games just have NOTHING to find out there.

And Twilight Princess is the game that added too many combat moves that nobody fucking used. Wind Waker improved Ocarina of Time's combat by adding the parry button to get a surprise attack behind dudes, so you never had to face anything as tedious as those fucking Stalfos in Ocarina of Time that just instablock 90% of your attacks and take goddamn forever. Plus the grappling hook and Deku Leaf gave you some stun options in combat and were some cool ways to get around the environment, and led to some impressive large vertical environments like Dragon Roost Island.

And I don't see any conflict at all between the art style and the tone of the story.

It seems the forum ate my reply, but I promise my criticisms were very pointed and insightful.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've played and own most of the Zelda games, yet have only beaten 2. But Wind Waker is probably the most charming game of them all so that takes it for me.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#55  Edited By MormonWarrior

I did a blog post on this putting them all in order of my favorite to least favorite. Ocarina of Time is just too dang good to not be at the top, but Wind Waker is a close second, then Link's Awakening/Link to the Past fight for the third and fourth spots. Skyward Sword is the only one I really hate in the series and I've played 'em all.

Check it out here.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll say Majora's Mask. For weird reasons, though. Ocarina of Time was my favorite game as a kid, and I've replayed it probably once a year at least since it came out, on N64, Gamecube, 3DS etc. For whatever reason, I never played Majora's Mask until this year. I finally played it (along with Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess), and god damn I loved it.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Twenty years later, Link to the Past still hasn't been bested.

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3D- OoT and 2D- LA

to 90% of the world i just typed complete gibberish

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's between wind waker and alttp for me. Super excited for A Link Between Worlds.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Majora's Mask

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Link 2 the past, there was a time when I could beat that game in an hour or 2. Ocarina of Time for sure and I would like to play Windwaker one day.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I saw this posted I had a sudden urge to play A Link to the Past again. I got home from work today and started it up, just finished it for the umpteenth time. So yeah.. I'm gonna go with LttP.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

why is this about the zelda franchise yet it is linked to the zelda character page.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By saoakden

@tarsier: I originally put it in the general discussion but I guess someone moved it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65  Edited By crusader8463
No Caption Provided

Only Zelda game I ever had fun with was Link's Awakening DX for my Gameboy Colour.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I love that this thread is attached to Zelda, as in actually Zelda but not The Legend Of.

1. Ocarina of Time
  2. Link to the Past
  3. Wind Waker

Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass and Link's Awakening are all easily worth playing. MM is okay. Twilight Princess can get STUFFED for all I care, and I never played Skyward Sword, though I'll hit it up one day fo sho. Zelda is, no holds barred, the most obvious Best Franchise of All Time, if there is such a thing.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By _Zombie_

Twilight Princess. It's the only Zelda game I ever finished.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

MM. I wish they'd made a sequel to it by now. WW also, but that game is way too slow paced.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Links Awakening is the only correct answer to this question. I will give partial credit to LTTP.

A_Norman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played through Ocarina at least a dozen times, but Wind Waker HD and the streamlined Triforce hunt and fast sailing is making me think about it more. I really liked Minish Cap too.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am quite certain there are probably several polls buried in these forums with this very question as the topic, and in all cases Ocarina of Time wins by a landslide. By the way, mine is Ocarina of TIme.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's A Link to The Past for me with Wind Waker at close second. I fell on the bad side of Skyward Sword and Ocarina had me play through it multiple times because for some reason my save file would always become corrupt or something so eff that... Ocarina is still awesome though.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to choose, for me. Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and Ocarina of Time would probably be my absolute favorites, but picking a single one from those three is asking too much of me. Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, and Minish Cap all get honorable mentions -- enjoyed each of them quite a bit. I also played a lot of the original NES games when I was younger, but I don't think I ever actually finished either of them; just kept starting them over from scratch again and again.

I should point out that I never played the Oracle games, the Four Swords games, either of the DS titles, or Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess I played for an hour or two earlier in the year, but I just couldn't get invested in it.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wind Waker is my favourite!

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By jadegl

A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening are always fighting for first place in my mind.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wind Waker

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Guesty_01

I haven't played most of the Zelda series, but my favorite is far and away Wind Waker. Runner up would be Twilight Princess.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Minish Cap.

No Caption Provided

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Minish Cap.

No Caption Provided

Are you sure you don't mean Majora's Mask?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecfb31b61925
deactivated-5ecfb31b61925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

@toowalrus: I have similar feelings. For some reason or another, I completely missed MM back in the day. I finally played it last year and was pleasantly surprised.

The impending doom of that moon mixed with typical Zelda quirkiness brought me in. And I loved it.

I could really go for a 3DS remake of it!

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Favorite Zelda game is Link to the Past, closely followed by Wind Waker.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Ocarina of Time because of how it effected my young and unprepared brain at the time. If I was to go back and play one now though it would prob be a link to the past, just think it holds up a bit better gameplay wise.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Link to the Past

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sexytoad: It's not YOUR-jora it's MA-jora!

(applause)

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Granted I'm maybe only 1/3 of the way through it but A link Between Worlds is growing on me as a return to what was great about Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. Link to the Past is probably too rooted in classic feel-good nostalgia in my brain to ever be dethroned, though.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By afabs515

Majora's Mask is my favorite game in the series, no question. If you restrict it to the 2D games, Link to the Past is the best one, hands down for me.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wind Waker or Link's Awakening

I think I enjoyed A Link to the Past, but it's been a while so I hesitate to say it's up there.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Nasar7

Choosing a favorite zelda is like choosing a favorite sex position. That said, Ocarina of Time. Not a huge fan of 2D Zeldas.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By RonGalaxy

Ive only ever played Twilight Princess, and I thought it was fantastic. I know hardcore zelda fans scoff at that game, but to a newcomer it was amazing. It showed me exactly what that series is, and that's all I needed. I doubt Ill play another one though, 55 hours of that type of game is enough for me.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Smash Bros Melee is my favorite Zelda game. I like using Sheik

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Majora's Mask, granted it's the only one I've played outside of 25 mins of Twilight Princess.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Windwaker. What up.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ripelivejam

@mems1224 said:

Link To The Past. The greatest game that has ever been made, now and forever.

OoT is next.

Wind Waker is last.

you inhuman monster...

unless those are the only three you've played. which is pretty much my case too. and i would probably vote the same, despite fucking loving wind waker. :\

e: and i know this makes me the REAL inhuman monster as these are the only three Zelda games i've really sunk time into.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Zeik

Either Ocarina, Wind Waker, or Skyward Sword. I think they each have their positives and negatives, but they're all pretty great.

I have yet to play one I outright dislike though. Except Adventure's of Link, but that barely even counts. I don't have anywhere near the same fond memories of Link to the Past as a lot of people though, since Link's Awakening was my first Zelda and I didn't play LttP until much much later.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers