The Horizon Festival goes to Australia.

Favorite cars?

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I'm slowly but surely building up my car collection, and I've got a few that I keep going back to because they are a ton of fun to drive - either in a race or just exploring. I thought I'd start a thread to see what everybody else is driving. Here are my favorites at the moment:

• A B700 '04 Subaru STI with a rally suspension. I upgraded to the top of the B class with mostly weight reduction, brakes, and drivetrain improvements. It's a blast to drive - somewhere between a car and a buggy. I've been using it to hunt down barn finds and generally cause mayhem.
    • A stock (S879?) '16 Audi R8. I drive with all the assists off (no TCS), so the AWD makes this an extremely driveable S class car. I have a Ford GT in the next class up that's also very nice.
    • A stock (A872?) '16 Ariel Nomad. I tried this one early as part of a bucket list challenge and loved it. I bought my own immediately.

I'm still building up my bankroll, so I haven't spent a ton of money on upgrades and tuning yet. What cars - stock or tuned - are you driving the most? What are you having the most fun driving?

DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By DBrim

For speed: Pagani Huayra. Probably my favorite car outside the scope of the game. Can't get it modded to the top of S2 class (sits around 960 or so), don't care. Topped it out at 257mph on the freeway

For fun: Ford RS200. Rally car, modded to top of S1 class (900). 80s rally racer. Accelerates like crazy, drives over anything. I got it up to 160 offroad on the outback. It's crazy fun on mixed surface races. Top speed isn't very high but that's not the thing; bounces and drifts like nobody's business.

For sound: Mercedes C63 Black, Lexus LFA

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just unlocked my third festival location, to give you an idea of my current progress.

• Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione: my cruiser. Drives great, looks great, sounds great.
    • Chevrolet Corvette Z06: my RWD choice. I had it decked out in full race parts, but it made 950-ish horsepower and would roast the tires all the way to 100+ mph. With stock horsepower it still roasts them to 60 mph which makes it much easier to drive, and a lot of fun when you break the rear end loose.
    • Nissan GT-R: my AWD choice. The exhaust note is absolutely terrible, but the handling is crazy!
    • Ariel Nomad: my offroad choice. I got one for free for opening a new festival location. It's so good on mixed surfaces.
    Avatar image for thebluthcompany
    TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I love my 05 WRX.

Also I made a championship that only features Reliant Super Vans. It's chaos.

GOTY 2016

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dave_Tacitus
    No Caption Provided

The Lancia Fulvia.

It'll be the closest I ever come to owning one again. I bought one 20 years ago and even though it spent most of its time in the shed (and when it was running it frequently went on fire) I fell for it head over heels.

Apart from that, I'm still loving my starting Nissan 200SX.

dewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have had a surprising amount of fun bounding through the Outback in the Ford (F150) Raptor '17.

flexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found a Ferrari Dino 246 GT in a barn, it started at C542, but I brought it up to A. It's such a sweet car.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been finding to hard to drive anything else outside of races besides the '05 WRX.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dave_tacitus: That's a car I would have overlooked completely, and now I can't wait to take it for a test drive. Thanks for the tip!

@flexx: I'll have to give that a shot. I've had my eye on that car since I found it, but haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#10 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I really like the Hellcat, but I find myself driving around in the impossible to drive Mercedes E63 that has been modified for 10s in everything except handling.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

@thebluthcompany: sounds like the off-road race I made using those. Insanity and immense fun to race.

hoochli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bugatti Veyron. Not the fastest car but it handles so well with the AWD.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Meyers Manx. I like watching the rear suspension. It's like a buggy from GTA 3.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By soulcake

Audi Quatro the Rally Version and the Koenisegegegeggegeg one. That thing is a rocket on wheels it just keeps going. That thing doesn't seems to have a top speed :D

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For cruising / exploring:
    Nissan Fairlady Z 432Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI in TME livery

For online racing:
    A-800 Ford Mustang 302 HE (AWD)
    S1-900 Subaru BRZ HE (AWD)
    S2-972 Jaguar F-TYPE Project 7 HE (AWD, ~1400hp)

For random online races/adventures, I just go with AWD because it's much less hassle on mixed conditions.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

The Nissan GTR 2017 is a monster.

I love the Tesla Model S though, I actually got first place like 7 times yesterday in an online session for about 3 hours in online adventure, so that car is rad.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Online, it seems there area already few trends happening. 2005 Subaru WRX STi is really fast in A-800 spec and for some reason, Infiniti Q50 is also really popular in that same class. If I didn't have the Jaguar HE for S2, I would go with Lamborghini Veneno because it has insane amount of grip even on dirt.

flexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baconhound: it's so sweet. it looks and sounds soooo great.

No Caption Provided
    Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Subaru BRZ is pretty good (throw out the spare tyre, some tweaking rather than pushing it to the S classes where so many cars end up). Been having fun with it but I've got to get back to this and really give it more time. Yet to really nail down favourites (or even buy out my garage with those rally classics just waiting for me).

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to resist the urge to turn every car AWD. Which, I think, helps me place more favorably in races but sort of homogenizes the unique feel most of the vehicles have.

Anyone have a system for coping with this? Sometimes I'll keep a car its default wheel-drive for a while and if I really hate it I'll take it into the shop and tinker with it. Other times I'll just drop it entirely (looking at you, 2016 Corvette).

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The jankiness of the upgrade menus is really inspiring me to leave the cars near stock or just do the minimum to unlock the tuning options I need to get it where I want it (and maybe throw a weight reduction in there if the stock is a bit sluggish). Normally I'd be there getting exactly what I want on every car to bring it up the whatever class limits I was aiming for and then tune out any kinks (normally just making sure the gearbox is where I want it and braking/turning balance - leave making sure the tyres are heating up right to a circuit racer where I'm not moments away from cutting a dirt corner).

I really don't like to swap the vehicles much, engine or drivetrain. For a start the upgrades aren't cheap (and so far the only discount I've found is 10%, aka still totally paying the price of a cheap new car for that engine swap - you can pay 10 skill points for a one-time use free upgrade but I'd rather keep saving to complete the unlocks and get the cars at the top of the unlock trees) and also I feel like, as you say, it can cut down on the individuality of each vehicle.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'm a sucker for the 350Z because it's my actual car. Beyond that, I enjoy tearing around the Outback in the Local Motors Rally Fighter. The McLaren F1 (upgraded) is one of the most manageable supercars for high-speed driving. Lots to choose from, though, so I'm bound to find many favorites.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm mostly enjoying the offroad vehicles, they are a ton of fun to bound around in.
    As far real ass real cars my 2005 Subaru is a hell of a lot of fun.
    Need to decide on a tiny car to crank all the dials up on. I used to love making the Mini into a total beast.
    I've never been one for the super cars and the like, so I'm really happy with the selection of older classics, off road beasts, and just all around great cars.

marcmann2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can add training wheels to the Reliant and it's the dumbest thing ever.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inevpatoria: I think the AWD conversion option is necessary for higher tiers, otherwise Lambos would be almost the only viable cars in S1 and S2. You can still get away with RWD in A-class races as long as it's not raining, but beyond that most cars are grip limited and you simply won't be accelerate fast enough without AWD.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crommi said:

@inevpatoria: I think the AWD conversion option is necessary for higher tiers, otherwise Lambos would be almost the only viable cars in S1 and S2. You can still get away with RWD in A-class races as long as it's not raining, but beyond that most cars are grip limited and you simply won't be accelerate fast enough without AWD.

I've found S1 cars to be mostly manageable, and even some S2 cars (like the Ford GT) can be driven without AWD. I won a Horizon Edition Viper however (S998 or something like that) and that thing is insane. I can easily break the tires loose in 4th or 5th gear. In those cases, I swallow my pride and turn on traction control.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By soulcake

O man i Discovered that the Audi Quattro has a HilClimb mod kit :O i might be BIAS Towards that Quattro from the Aerodynamics turned up to eleven from the idea that, that car dominated the rally scene when it came out. It might be my Favourite "Bonkers" German Engineering car.

Loading Video...

Look at it ! it's like a Frankenstein with Steroids on wheels :D

megabattimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't got the game (or really a good enough PC or Xbox One to play it) yet, but how's the Ford Falcon XB GT drive? I figure that'll be my main car whenever I get it.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29 chaser324  Moderator

Out of what's in my garage right now:

• '93 Nissan Skyline GTR
    • '14 Local Motors Rally Fighter
    • '16 Jaguar F-Type Project 7 (Horizon Edition)
    KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KirkyX

Right now I'm mainly bombing around in a Peugeot 205 T16 in full Pikes Peak regalia - the 205 T16, GTi, CTi, even the boggo family hatch version, is one of my favourite cars just generally - but before that I was having a great time with the Mark II Focus RS, modified to the top of A-class. The thing was an absolute beast in the corners, and could still keep up on the straights.

Playground Games seem to have fixed the offroad/dirt road FWD handing in this game; back in Horizon 2, all the FWD cars felt like the rear wheels were on tray tables the second you went onto the dirt.

GrayFoxbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GMC Vandura...why you ask?

It's a classic.

No Caption Provided

It can drift.

No Caption Provided

and it's fast!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Are you rockin' that 50 Cent vinyl? (That's 50 Cent, right?)

For me, the Viper is my favorite at the moment. It sticks to the road real well and the brakes on this thing is something else.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I have to resist the urge to turn every car AWD. Which, I think, helps me place more favorably in races but sort of homogenizes the unique feel most of the vehicles have.

Anyone have a system for coping with this? Sometimes I'll keep a car its default wheel-drive for a while and if I really hate it I'll take it into the shop and tinker with it. Other times I'll just drop it entirely (looking at you, 2016 Corvette).

That Corvette is one of the RWD cars I actually find easiest to drive. If you want to never have an traction out of corners and completely hate yourself try the NSX!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just been driving my 2014 BMW M4 Coupe Horizon Edition with Skills Boost, for the last two days. Because I am trying to build up stored skill points. And in the processes I've started to really like the car. But I'd say my favorite overall is the 2011 Bugatti Veyron. It just handles so well for how fast it is. You can corner like its on rails at 200 mph. Its insane. Well, as long as you are on a road anyways. For off road I'd have to go with the Audi Quattro.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grayfoxbr: Did you make that skin because that thing is a piece of Capitalistic art !

GrayFoxbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: Nope, the GB Logo was made by the user Nuts4Ford. The rest i just searched for. There is also a vinyl of a Goomba screaming "Whaaat! Whaaat! " on the hood, a VapeNation logo on the front plate, a gigantic CBS logo on the roof. I call this abomination the B-Team Van.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: Nope, the GB Logo was made by the user Nuts4Ford. The rest i just searched for. There is also a vinyl of a Goomba screaming "Whaaat! Whaaat! " on the hood, a VapeNation logo on the front plate, a gigantic CBS logo on the roof. I call this abomination the B-Team Van.

All of that sounds amazing.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

It's a classic.

A Giant Bomb Unofficial Classic?

I switch between cars a lot, but I've been driving this work of art for the last couple of hours:

No Caption Provided

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stordoff: My neighbour (who's surname is Trotter, natch) has one of those bloody things sitting outside his house. He paid far too much for it.

I've been having a blast in, while nowhere near the most successful, probably the maddest of the Group B rally monsters, the Metro 6R4.

No Caption Provided

Another car that's personally special now, the 1970s Ford Capri which I've painted the same colour as one owned by my grandfather. Capris were great - Ford Europe's answer to the Mustang so you got sporty styling and a degree of grunt for not a lot of money. Great tail-happy handling too.

No Caption Provided

FilthyPeasant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For just driving around and enjoying the scenery I love the Tesla S. There is something about driving it across the Outback with no radio and almost no engine noise is really calming.

On the other side of that is the BMW Isetta. Maxed that thing out and its crazy fun. It might as well not have a steering wheel. As soon as it touches anything god knows where that things is going to fly.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By veektarius

While it is by no means a feat of modern engineering, I have a 797 rating 2005 Lotus Elise 111s that I have the most fun driving. Not crazy fast, but accelerates like a rocket.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Current lineup for grinding XP and running solo-events:

A-800 Ford Mustang Boss 302 HE
    S1-900 Jaguar F-TYPE Project 7 HE
    S1-900 Jaguar F-TYPE Project 7 HE (Rally Spec)
    S2-972 Jaguar F-TYPE Project 7 HE

Unfortunately, because of the way online events are scored, best car for those might be '97 BMW M3 HE. Best method seems to be to just ignore the racing completely and drift away until timer runs out because that gets you more points than winning the race. Ford Focus RS HE also has drift bonus, but I don't like how it drives even with RWD conversion.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have an old Mini Cooper S that I upgraded to an S1 rally spec. That thing is amazing to drive in rallycross style events, and holds its own pretty well in anything else on the dirt as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.