The Horizon Festival goes to Australia.

Seventy Euros? Really?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Just had a look at the Windows store and saw that the Standard Edition is €70!

I'm absolutely flabbergasted at that price. People were all up in arms when CoD became $60 on PC but not this? I know it's got crossplay between Xbox and Windows but come on; that doesn't justify that price tag.

I'm sorry for the rant but this is just laughable. And that no one seems to care is what I find particularly hilarious, especially considering the backlash Activision got for pricing CoD at 60.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I guess I'm more accepting of it because video games are way cheaper than they used to be because for whatever reason they've not followed the trend of inflation and because theyre a luxury item with plenty of alternatives around if I don't want to part way with cash. Also because it's cross play if they priced it differently to the Xbox version I'd question Microsoft's business savvy

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Can you look on Amazon for a download code in your region? At least in the UK Amazon sells a download code that works for xbox one and Windows 10 PC. It is still more expensive than the xbox one physical copy though.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By rethla

I dont mind paying for a qualityproduct. Im just amased by how people try to justify different priceranges by different criterias.

They will put the price that they think yields most income and thats all there is to it. It doesnt matter how big or long or large or what platform the game is on.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's weird, the standard edition is $60 here in the states.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's probably so expensive because the game is set in Australia. HEYO!

But really, that's pretty ridiculous.

Speaking of which, I'm in Australia and just checked the price on our Windows Store just out of interest, it's $96.95AUD for the Standard edition ($139.95AUD for the Ultimate Edition) which at the current exchange rate is about €66. Which is also pretty ridiculous.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@yesiamaduck: You can say this till you're blue in the face and most people will not believe you because relative price over time vs. inflation confuses and angers them ("Math is hard.")... probably best to just step slowly back and let them rant...

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How much do games normally cost?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kasaioni

Obligatory "it's $79.99 CDN".

Which is only 54 Euros apparently, so ouch.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

This is why digital still loses to physical. I picked up a physical version for $70 Aus whilst it is $96 digital. FIFA 17 is a similar story ($86 on Xbox store, $70 in stores). Most games are still this way at the moment

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the whole Windows Store pricing seems to be really messed up for international pricing.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Any XBOX One digital key should give you the PC version as well. So you can hunt for one outside the store. Or use other 'methods' to 'nudge' the store price a little bit more in your favour.

I believe Singapore has the cheapest standard edition at around 45 euros?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By soulcake

Yeah every PS4/Xbone game became 69.99 Euro's with the new release of the consoles in Belgium (retailers) reason why i don't buy that much video games on console because it became stupidly expensive compared to the 50 euro steam price.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Shivoa

This thing where MS "bring games to the PC" (aka actually bother to port their DX12 games to the main DX12 platform that vastly outnumbers their console business and the platform which both built the MS brand and generates actual profits for the company) only via cheap (to produce; no production & shipping or writing off stock if it doesn't all sell) digital copies seems like it's all sorts of terrible.

"You get a copy you can play anywhere" it says as Amazon offer you a cheap physical disc for the XB1 (which you can resell etc) or a more expensive digital code. So PC games, always the cheaper cousin of the console releases, are being sold only in the form that's cheaper to make and only for more money than the console edition.

I don't care that I can play it on an XB1 - that's a very expensive console considering it comes with less perf than a $100 GPU. Give me a decent price vs every other company releasing games on Windows. Actually compete on the platform you're coming back to! They platform MS also own and yet repeatedly give up on.

It's almost as if MS are doing this to fail (again, see Games for Windows & GfW Live for two recent iteration of this plan both killed off and forcing publishers to hastily patch their games onto the various Steam APIs so they would keep working and so they could continue to sell them and access that profitable long tail).

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Kazona

@oldguy: Except this has nothing to do with inflation. If inflation was a factor they'd raise the prices on all games they're selling (be it on Xbox one of Windows Store). But they're not doing that. It's just this one game. Even Gears of War 4--which isn't even out yet--is listed as 60 Euros. And as far as I know that's also Play Anywhere/Crossplay.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#16  Edited By isomeri

New games have cost around €70 for over a decade now, so I don't really get why anyone would be surprised by this. Depending on your country, around 15-25% of that price is value-added tax, which is not a thing in countries like the USA. This is why games in Europe cost more, but then again we also get fun stuff like education, healthcare and customer protections by paying that VAT.

If you don't want to pay taxes, then it's pretty easy to buy Xbox games from the stores of other regions like Singapore or Hong Kong for cheaper.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@kazona: I think you're missing the point of their posts

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@kazona: the point we are making is that we aren't surprised because as each year passes the cost of games at retail has been the same whilst the cost of development continues to rise so eventually something was going to give.

Gears of War may not have justified the increase of price in Europe, they haven't woken up and decided all games cost 70 euro now... but don't act surprised if this trend hits other triple a games in the future, especially if forza sells well at that price

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yeah the whole Windows Store pricing seems to be really messed up for international pricing.

It's this way basically for all digital platforms in Europe. PSN store prices can get pretty ridiculous and they are 10-20% more expensive on average. Steam is alright because it just flips the sign to Euros which isn't that awful. GreenManGaming used to be a good alternative until they decided that my region will use British Pounds instead of Euros which eliminates any price advantage whatsoever.

I'd love to buy more stuff digitally, but yah man, outside of the US the pricing is rough and mom-n-pop stores not only break street dates super often but sell at a much lower price point.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @dafdiego777 said:

It's this way basically for all digital platforms in Europe. PSN store prices can get pretty ridiculous and they are 10-20% more expensive on average. Steam is alright because it just flips the sign to Euros which isn't that awful. GreenManGaming used to be a good alternative until they decided that my region will use British Pounds instead of Euros which eliminates any price advantage whatsoever.

I'd love to buy more stuff digitally, but yah man, outside of the US the pricing is rough and mom-n-pop stores not only break street dates super often but sell at a much lower price point.

In wonder what causes this? Is the cost of sales much higher in the EU much higher than doing business in the US? Is it a currency translation issue? Or are more Europeans simply willing to buy a higher priced product?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@dafdiego777: I think it's a weird mix of economics and regional pricing. All games are priced more or less to the American dollar equivelant, but not all countries have the economy of the United States and thus not all people earn the same wages. When you translate that price point directly from dollars to euros and it matches up that may seem ok, but then you realize that in a given country people make lets say 0.75 of what the typical American does and it suddenly all goes out of whack because you can't price it lower or else people would import and get games for cheaper.

That is of course my layman understanding of it, I'm sure someone much smarter has a much better answer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.