Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Turn 10's third installment in the Forza series. Forza Motorsport 3 offers 100 tracks and 400 cars with full customization, as well as video editing and uploading.

Forza 3, Disc 2 Explained - Turn 10 Does Multi-Discs Right

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Andorski

So IGN just detailed how Forza Motorsport 3's multi-disc game will work.  In short, Disc 1 will contain the main game, around 300 cars, and most of the tracks.  Disc 2 will have the other 104 cars and 29 tracks, which are split up into four separate packs.  If you have a hard drive, you can install Disc 2 (1.9 GB) play using Disc 1, which will read the installed contents and add them to the game.  If you don't have enough space on your hard drive or if you use memory cards, you can choose which of the four packs you want to install.  Click the link to see the list of cars and tracks that will be on Disc 2.

IMO, this is how all multi-disc games should work for the 360.  With indications that this generation of consoles is going to go past the usual 5 year mark, the size limit of DVDs is only going to become more of an issue.  But if we can install multi-disc games onto the hard drive and just leave disc one in the DVD tray, then the this particular weakness of the 360 becomes completely void.

FFXIII better work like this.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

That is awesome! Very smart, and hopefully something that becomes a trend if possible.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Burns098356GX

Still sounds like a pain.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By meteora

This sounds like a very innovative move coming from Turn 10, we might see more developers following this trend now that we're going to be stuck with the 360 for at least another 4-5 years. Its simple, gives us the choice and its effective at saving our memory space.

I wonder what kind of genres would work best and which wouldn't.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By KamasamaK

Installation is ideal for multiple discs if you've got to use them. At least for those with a hard drive. But it's unfortunate this is even an issue. Larger media or an always included hard drive would have helped avoid any big issues regarding multiple discs.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Andorski said:
    " So IGN just detailed how Forza Motorsport 3's multi-disc game will work.  In short, Disc 1 will contain the main game, around 300 cars, and most of the tracks.  Disc 2 will have the other 104 cars and 29 tracks, which are split up into four separate packs.  If you have a hard drive, you can install Disc 2 (1.9 GB) play using Disc 1, which will read the installed contents and add them to the game.  If you don't have enough space on your hard drive or if you use memory cards, you can choose which of the four packs you want to install.  Click the link to see the list of cars and tracks that will be on Disc 2.

IMO, this is how all multi-disc games should work for the 360.  With indications that this generation of consoles is going to go past the usual 5 year mark, the size limit of DVDs is only going to become more of an issue.  But if we can install multi-disc games onto the hard drive and just leave disc one in the DVD tray, then the this particular weakness of the 360 becomes completely void.

FFXIII better work like this. "
    why would ff13 work like this when its just a disc switching game?
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Siphillis

Just going to install both on the hard-drive.  Always hated disc read errors.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By PureRok

Fuck this. I don't have any space at all on my hard drive for anything. Fuck them.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hitchenson
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @Andorski said:
    " So IGN just detailed how Forza Motorsport 3's multi-disc game will work.  In short, Disc 1 will contain the main game, around 300 cars, and most of the tracks.  Disc 2 will have the other 104 cars and 29 tracks, which are split up into four separate packs.  If you have a hard drive, you can install Disc 2 (1.9 GB) play using Disc 1, which will read the installed contents and add them to the game.  If you don't have enough space on your hard drive or if you use memory cards, you can choose which of the four packs you want to install.  Click the link to see the list of cars and tracks that will be on Disc 2.

FFXIII better work like this. "
    why would ff13 work like this when its just a disc switching game? "
    Install disk 2,3,4... etc. But only have to use disk 1 to play through the game.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake

This makes the 360 sound more like a PC than a console.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By zombie2011

I don't mind disc switching, not a big deal to me.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I don't mind this idea, it means 360 games can be as big as PS3's blu-ray games without them having to release a completely new console, and at least there's no disc switching just one install.

Krenor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Krenor
    @dcpc10 said:
    " @Andorski said:
    " But if we can install multi-disc games onto the hard drive and just leave disc one in the DVD tray, then the this particular weakness of the 360 becomes completely void.  "
    I disagree. If you still have to install stuff, and take away valuable hard drive space, then its like taking the issue and slightly making it seem less of a problem even though it still is one. "
    well then let me tell you something, thank god you don't own PS3, because then you would be really pissed off
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm all the more glad I've got a 120GB HDD.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Baillie
    @Pie: Well, make sure you don't add any more than 100MB!
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Pie

Argh, ive still only got the first model of hard drive and currently it has 2 gigs left

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " This makes the 360 sound more like a PC than a console. "
    What about the PS3, many of its games already require mandatory installs.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Baillie

He means all your games install on the hard drive to some degree.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @eroticfishcake said:
    " This makes the 360 sound more like a PC than a console. "
    What about the PS3, many of its games already require mandatory installs. "
    Even though the PS3 does require installs for most games the Blu-Ray holds a lot more than the DVDs the 360 uses. I still find myself installing on the PS3 to lessen load times though. The disk space isn't a major limitation for the 360 yet, the biggest problem most people have is just the amount of HDD space they've got.
    Kycon90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Kycon90

I think this is a fine way to do it.  It's only 1.9 gigs, I only have like 6 gigs on my hd, but what evs, I will gladly devote 1.9 gigs of it to Forza 3. 

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By grilledcheez

I have 2.9 gigs after deleting all those videos I wasted money on from the marketplace

tedbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tedbear

I always found this to be a problem with the ps3, dispite using bluray it still had to do mandatory installs, meaning the ps3 might as well use dvd and actually might be winning this generation instead of being last place.
    Look at the ps2, it used dvd and it won ^^

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By clubsandwich

this is how it should be done.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Griddler
    @tedbear: Do you really think that PS3s using dvd's would make it more popular than the Wii? If so you're off your rocker.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

this would be a very cool thing for other games to do. for some reason i don't think that it will happen to all the games. some developers don't like to follow for example halo u could split screen and play online. no other game has that. borderlands could also be a great example that it cold have done.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Captain_Insano

This is pretty awesome for something like Forza 3, which would require a lot of disc switching. (though I still only have and need a 20gb at the moment)

Something like FFXIII isn't much a concern. Disc switching for a game like that will only happen every 15hours or so of gameplay so really, you should get off your arse at that stage and change the disc you lazy bastards.

I agree that Turn 10 has handled this really well though

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.