Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 4

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 11, 2011

The fourth installment of Turn 10's Motorsport racing franchise, released in Fall 2011. It features 16 player online races, dynamic race conditions, cars from over 80 manufacturers, and compatibility with Kinect, both on and off the racetrack.

Forza Motorsport 4 will not have any Porsche cars

Nat3TheGreat13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Nat3TheGreat13

There has been speculation ever since Forza Motorsport 4 was shown off at E3 that Porsche was not going to be in the game. In this in-depth interview of some features with Dan Greenawalt he confirms it.

What’s the status of Porsche in Forza Motorsport 4?

This kills me. While Forza Motorsport 4 will feature RUF, it will not include Porsche cars. As many of you know, since the beginning of the Forza franchise, the Porsche license has been available only through a sub-licensing deal with EA. In Forza 3, we were able to feature more than 35 different Porsche models by offering to collaborate with EA. For Forza 4, we were looking forward to adding even more Porsche cars, and we were especially looking forward to featuring multiple Porsche experiences in our new Autovista mode. In the end, however, EA couldn’t see their way towards collaborating again.

We’ve asked our contacts at EA to reconsider their position frequently and regularly over the last 18 months. We also reached out to various influential people in gaming to lobby on our behalf, and on your behalf, but that was to no avail.

In our business, we stay friendly with all of the manufacturers and licensors necessary to deliver players rich and innovative automotive experiences. As you’d expect, this includes quite a few key people in Porsche circles. To make sure we tried everything, we consulted with these advocates and were happy to find they were already aware of the situation and lobbying from within on behalf of Forza 4--and, despite the result, we thank them for their efforts.

While we respect EA’s need to run their business as they see fit, we’ve regularly collaborated in the past and hope we can find our way back to that approach. Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem.

I’m very sorry for all of this. Fans shouldn’t have to think about any of this – you should just be able to drive Porsches and Ferraris in the games you love. Porsche makes wonderful cars and I’m sorry that we won’t have them in Forza 4. As I mentioned earlier, we have added three RUF cars in Forza 4. RUF is a manufacturer in their own right, not simply an aftermarket mod shop—they completely remanufacture and enhance the models that they start from, and the results are unique, incredibly fast, and the cars look great. Losing more than 35 Porsche models is a lost opportunity for Porsche fans (as well as a lost opportunity to make future Porsche fans), but I hope that Forza 4 players understand and enjoy the new makes and models that have taken their place.

This really sucks, as someone who has put more than 800 hours into the entire Forza Franchise, Porsche's were some of my favorite cars to drive.

I'm still positive this game will be amazing and I've already pre-ordered the collectors edition and can't wait for the game to come out.

Here is the link to the entire interview, everything else they go over sounds amazing and now there will be 150 levels instead of 50! Who's ready to start grinding levels!

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/underthehood1/

What are your guy's thoughts?

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By samfo

as long as RUF is in there I guess that's okay.

Looks to be no fault of Turn10 at all.

But still a shame... This will be the best forza game ever, with or without porsche!

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By trace

I'll repost my thoughts from the Forza Race Night thread here:

While it's easy to rage at EA, and in all fairness, I'm going to give some PR guy a heaping load of snark and bitterness if I hear any Porsche exclusivity BS while trying Need for Speed: The Run at PAX, do keep in mind that Turn 10 has an exclusivity agreement with Ferrari on the PC and Xbox 360 platforms. I don't know if they're any more flexible about that than EA, but we can all agree on this: car manufacturer exclusivity in this day and age is a load of shit.

It's really disappointing, but I'm more disappointed this sort of whole-manufacturer exclusivity bullshit is still a thing 13 years after the original Gran Turismo.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Crixaliz

What is an 'RUF'?

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By trace

@Crixaliz: The best way I can describe them is that RUF is to Porsche as Saleen is to Ford. RUF takes various Porsche chassis and then adds their own parts and style to them, creating what's considered new cars out of something that looks very much like a Porsche...since, y'know, it kind of was at one point.

Gran Turismo started using RUF when they couldn't get the Porsche license but wanted to have vehicles similar to the Porsche body style. Forza's doing the same thing here.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar

Oh EA................ 

Do you want us to hate you, EA?
    Do you want us to hate you, EA?
    icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By icytower38

The Porche's are probably my favorite foreign car designs of all time, it's really going to suck not seeing them in Forza 4, and it sounds like EA just didn't want to let the license go this time around for what is likely a very poor reason.

I'll still get Forza 4, and NFS: The Run, no matter what as I'm sure the later will be decent and the former great. But man oh man is EA really digging a hole for themselves with the Origin EULA and now this in one day.

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By SharkMan

ea is really fucking shit up!

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By FritzDude

Only three RUF cars? God... There's plenty of good looking RUF's out there, but in the end my favorite car manufacture is not in one of my favorite car & racing franchise. Why can't we all just be friendly with the licensing these days... Since Forza 4 have a new XP system for car manufacturers - what should i pick now then? Why EA? Why?

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By NickLott

I'm not even way into Porche but this really bums me out. It's unfortunate EA is taking a strong-arm approach to everything as opposed to building a superior product that people actually want to gravitate to.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

Perhaps they'll get things worked out eventually and release a Porche DLC pack or something. Lame news, though.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Azteck

Does EA just hate everybody or something?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

Man, just as EA started to improve a few years ago, they've been throwing that goodwill away over the last few months.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

"But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem." 

Hahahah. 
    Wow.  
    Sure, guys.
    SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By SharkMan
    @Vegetable_Side_Dish: from what i understand the publishers weren't wiling to pay the money requested for the ferrari's; not really blocking publishers completely from the license, unlike what ea has done many times with the porsche brand.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.