Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 5

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 22, 2013

Forza Motorsport's debut on the Xbox One.

Forza 5: no night, weather, storefront, or AH

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

Stolen from Neogaf:

All confirmed tonight on Twitch by Dan.

Paints and tunes can still be created, traded and used, but painters and tuners are now paid according to usage, not on an initial selling price (which is now effectively at no cost to the purchaser).

There will still be a way to search for community-created tunes and liveries, but not by using the current Storefront system.

It seems like the Auction House has been completely removed because community tunes and liveries are now free to buy, with the game 'paying' the creators based on how much their creations are used by other players.

The game will 'learn' what kind of paints you like and will direct them to you, make suggestions etc.

It was suggested that Drivatar cars (ie AI) will use community paints/liveries.

Oh, and Dan was unsure about existing wheel support, said he wasn't the best man to ask.

Disappointing news about weather and night, but kudos to Turn 10 for being up front about it now.

Edit: not sure how true this is, but it was hinted by Dan that all material shaders used in the game can be used to paint the car, eg full brushed aluminium finish, full carbon finish. Maybe leather cars? Sounds daft.

Edit 2: ALL cars are Autovista now. This possibly/probably means a vastly reduced car roster from FM4.
    That fucking sucks. Night time driving is my favourite and no weather? STILL? You just lost my sale.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

The no night driving part sucks, but I don't really want to drive in the rain. It's obvious that they had to cut back on features to be ready for launch. They did promise "hundreds of cars" in one of the trailers so 8'm not terribly concerned about the roster. It's also rad that they're including "Grand Prix" and Indy cars this time around.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

When's the last time they had night driving? Tokyo level in Forza 1? Weather was done so well in PGR4, maybe someone reboots that franchise with a Horizon style spin. Oh, speaking of Horizon, don't think it's night racing counts. Mostly different team, and passage of time essential to the concept.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By nights

Damn, still no weather or night driving?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8pyftLUvu1r1l68bo1_500.gif

I also miss online series races. Did they reintroduce that mode in Forza 4 (never played it)? Being able to do a custom, 7 race series with a friend was awesome, but they took that feature out in Forza 3.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

SAY IT AIN'T SO :(

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By DharmaBum

Bummer since they had day/night in Horizon, but it is still a gorgeous launch title.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No storefront and auction house will either be great or the death of that portion of the community. If they can do it in an intelligent way and people who do great liveries make the millions they deserve instead of thousands, then I can see things working out well. Hopefully this isn't like the first Madden game of a new generation where all of the features are stripped out and all they've got to talk about is AI and graphics.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By mikey87144

So GT5 had night racing when it released at the end of 2010 and presumably GT6 will also feature night racing and weather. Forza 3 didn't have it, neither does Forza 4 and now Forza 5 to?! Come on. GT has murdered Forza in terms of sales and features and this time around seems like a real opportunity to take some of GT's thunder, To not include something that is available in your rivals previous gen game seems like a mistake. I would rather them take the extra time to include that then rush it out the door for launch.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have we got any details regarding tracks and Top Gear support? I ask as one of the UK stores selling the game has the Top Gear logo on the cover so I hope this means we get the Star In a reasonably priced car challenge and car football/test track as well in game like Forza 4.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see them return as "features" in Forza 6 and 7.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The store front stuff seems better imo, getting money on usage rather than I one time fee is a cool concept.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Nezza

This reminds me of Project Gotham 3 on the 360 which a lot of the ancillary features cut out in comparison to PGR2 on the Xbox. Improved graphics but at the cost of everything else.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is perplexing. It's not like they have to go all the way to snow drifts and ice patches on the courses; things that require vastly different physics parameters. But no night driving? No fog? No rain? Come on, Turn 10, what the hell?

How about race start position? Are you still stuck dead last at the start of every race with no chance to change it? I really didn't care for that system in Forza 4.

@nezza Yeah, that's a pretty apt comparison. I remember being disappointed with PGR 3 after the wowzers effect of the new graphics had worn off.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I just want to know if the stupid unicorn cars is still a thing.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@nezza said:

This reminds me of Project Gotham 3 on the 360 which a lot of the ancillary features cut out in comparison to PGR2 on the Xbox. Improved graphics but at the cost of everything else.

Sounds like the cost of making a launch game. Though 1080p 60fps with the level of detail shown off so far is really impressive.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bigjeffrey

They wanted only Day so they could add lens Flare to everything, Native 1080p at 60 FPS is a pretty good trade off.

Forget about all that stuff, here is some cars

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many cars on track? Please say 20+

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By irrelevantjohn

They wanted only Day so they could add lens Flare to everything, Native 1080p at 60 FPS is a pretty good trade off.

Also stolen from gaf

Native 1080p at 60 FPS shouldn't be a trade off, it should be standard.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

This is a little late for the conversation I suppose. But I think it stands to reason that Turn 10 hasn't done weather. It's multitudes more difficult to accurately simulate weather conditions on top of everything else they already do. Weather in PGR, from what I've always read, was quite a bit easier to do. PGR4 did it well, but they are two different beasts.

It's all incremental!

Think about how the use of the auction house worked a year after it came out. Do you think people were still buying 1.2 million credit cars? The player who still plays wasn't going to get any money. Based on usage, those who play it after the dust has settled might see SOME return instead of none.

Who the hell doubts Turn 10 Studios? They've never delivered anything but great games!

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

Lets see, do I want more tracks or night time.... tracks.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh come on, even Diddy Kong Racing had night time tracks.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stolen from Neogaf:

All confirmed tonight on Twitch by Dan.

Paints and tunes can still be created, traded and used, but painters and tuners are now paid according to usage, not on an initial selling price (which is now effectively at no cost to the purchaser).

There will still be a way to search for community-created tunes and liveries, but not by using the current Storefront system.

It seems like the Auction House has been completely removed because community tunes and liveries are now free to buy, with the game 'paying' the creators based on how much their creations are used by other players.

The game will 'learn' what kind of paints you like and will direct them to you, make suggestions etc.

It was suggested that Drivatar cars (ie AI) will use community paints/liveries.

Oh, and Dan was unsure about existing wheel support, said he wasn't the best man to ask.

Disappointing news about weather and night, but kudos to Turn 10 for being up front about it now.

Edit: not sure how true this is, but it was hinted by Dan that all material shaders used in the game can be used to paint the car, eg full brushed aluminium finish, full carbon finish. Maybe leather cars? Sounds daft.

Edit 2: ALL cars are Autovista now. This possibly/probably means a vastly reduced car roster from FM4.

That fucking sucks. Night time driving is my favourite and no weather? STILL? You just lost my sale.

Well, I'm glad this happened. This makes my console choice a lot easier. I went to Forza over GT5 because of the community features. This makes it a non-issue now, on top of the PS4 looking to be much better purchase. I'll put the extra $100 towards a sick wheel and GT6.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm all good with no night driving and no weather, I'm fucking Crushed about the storefronts going away though. If usage means actually driving with my liveries or decals applied to their cars, my in game career just got shut down. I used to do a lot of novelty paints, stuff like a Molotov Cocktease Venture Bros. skin and a P-40 Warhawk paint up for the 'Cuda. Cool shit that is fun for collectors but no-one drives around with those skins on all the time. This will severely cut down on my revenue. Bummer.

Also the addition of Autovista for all cars probably means less obscure classics will be a part of the roster. If a '67 Toyota 2000gt is going to require the same artist resources as the new Pagani Huayra, guess which one they choose to do? That probably precludes the modeled aero parts that I have always wanted out of Forza too. Huh, this is all kind of bad news, that's what I get for being a picky enthusiast I guess.

Thanks for the infodump @metal_mills. It still looks gorgeous.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Forza 5 was pulling me towards buying an X1 but it sounds like 5 isn't a huge leap over 4 and 4 didn't feel like that much of a leap over 3 to me...guess i'll just wait for Project Cars on the PC.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

So what's the best guess right now for cars? 250?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.