Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fracture

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 07, 2008

Set in 2161, global warming has caused the U.S. to split into two. Fracture tells the story of Jet Brody, a soldier for the Atlantic Alliance (the former East Coast), as he fights the Republic of Pacifica (the former West Coast) led by former Alliance General Sheridan.

What were you expecting from this?

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jedted

The way i see it is this is just an average shooter but with terrain deforming.  Yeah it will probebly get boring in single player but multiplayer is where i see the game's longevity coming from.

When you think about all the ways to shape the battlefeild to your advantage the possiblities are endless.  My only gripe with it is the starting rifle feels weak but the variety of weapons in the game more than makes up for that.  It looks like they only feature a few of them in the demo anyway so i'm geussing you discover alot more later in the game.

Avatar image for betterthantelevision
    betterthantelevision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

While graphically the game looks good, the art design just smacks of Halo/GoW/Mass Effect. Still, gameplay was better than I had imagined, and everything seemed to run smooth and the action was pretty nice. I think the game will get drowned out by the Oct./Nov. landslide of AAA content, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on how the game fares.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Otacon

It reminded me very much of the games that came out at the launch of the original Xbox, namely Halo and a little Brute Force.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Jedted

betterthantelevision

said:

"While graphically the game looks good, the art design just smacks of Halo/GoW/Mass Effect."

Artistically, it looks more like Halo mixed the grittyness of GoW. Mass Effect's art style is much more clean than GoW.

But yeah, Fracture does look a lot like Halo especially from the opening cutscene. However the terrain deformation looks cool enough to set it apart somewhat. Geuss it'll just be the silent hit of 2008.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kush

What I was really expecting from this game was more terrain deformation than I saw in the demo...as well as more varied. I found the deformation to be rather limited.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Otacon said:
    "It reminded me very much of the games that came out at the launch of the original Xbox, namely Halo and a little Brute Force."

I disagree with Halo, but I definitely see a Brute Force-esque quality. I didn't think about that before, nice call.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187
    Jedted said:
    "betterthantelevision said:
    Artistically, it looks more like Halo mixed the grittyness of GoW.  Mass Effect's art style is much more cleaner than GoW."
    WEE-OOO!  WEE-OOO!
    caption
    caption

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Alphazero

I was digging those Bugs Bunny style underground torpedoes at the end. Those should be fun in multiplayer.

I felt a little odd knocking over the water tower on Alcatraz. If I stick my head far enough out my window I can see it... yep, still standing. Phew.

Overall, what we see in the demo follows most all of the modern conventions of third person action games, with the terrain deformation thrown in. I can see that being fun. Some sucker hiding in
    a tunnel, I raise the ground, smoosh him into the ceiling.

To quote Marcus Fenix, "Nice."

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Coltonio7

I can see countless "Super Fall" videos coming from the multi-player.

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Schizoid
    Kush said:
    "What I was really expecting from this game was more terrain deformation than I saw in the demo...as well as more varied. I found the deformation to be rather limited."
    That's what I thought, I could only use the items in certain places which was really really irritating. 
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kush
    Schizoid said:
    "That's what I thought, I could only use the items in certain places which was really really irritating. "
    I also found the degree of height and depth rather lacking. The deformation gun could raise the terrain about two levels and that's it; and lower the terrain only about one level. The demo was also a bad portrayal of the final game because they only gave us the tutorial and the first level. They should have thrown us into a later level where there might be more variety in the ways one can tackle a situation, rather than having your hand held the entire time.
    Max_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Max_Chill

after playing the demo. not much

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.