Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

From Dust

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 27, 2011

As a benevolent god known as 'the Breath', players must lead their people to safety and help them retrieve the lost knowledge of their ancestors by manipulating the shape of the terrain of the world in this spiritual successor to Populous.

From Dust IGN Review

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By McBEEF

http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/118/1184264p1.html

Ign review seems very positive, cant wait pick this up on PC.

However, I am a little disappointed that you dont have a little more control over your villagers or gain some non-nature based abilities.

Edit: I seem to have annoyed a few people with this post, sorry, I just thought people who were also interested in the game would like to get more info, and the IGN review was the first review I'd seen. I dont particularly care about IGN review scores, I was more interested in the actual content of the review. Anyhoo sorry didnt realise it was frowned upon.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By imsh_pl

I still don't understand why people feel the need to post reviews from sites like IGN or Gamtrailers here on Giantbomb. No offence.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By jjnen
    @imsh_pl: Because GB hasn't posted their review yet.
    potoskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By potoskull

Destructiod gave a 5.5, but Jim Sterlimg wrote that review. From what I've seen from other Jim review I tend not to agree with him. His outlook on games are very strange.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By NickL

@imsh_pl said:

I still don't understand why people feel the need to post reviews from sites like IGN or Gamtrailers here on Giantbomb. No offence.

They usually are only posted when Giant Bomb hasn't posted one yet.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Vexxan

With or without great reviews, I'm definitely buying this game, the Quick Look got me hooked.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By metal_mills

@PoToSkull said:

Destructiod gave a 5.5, but Jim Sterlimg wrote that review. From what I've seen from other Jim review I tend not to agree with him. His outlook on games are very strange.

Jim Sterling is the Armond White of game reviews. If he hates it, it should be great.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dany

These threads can be easily consolidated to a review round up thread. Multiple threads of IGN reviews, gametrailers reviews and destructiods review just makes the board looks like a mess and gives more credence to scores since that is usually what is told.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CptBedlam

@imsh_pl said:

Agreed.

Especially IGN and Destructoid are among the shittiest gaming sites out there ... stop posting links to their shit.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Played it all weekend (Thanks MS Shop!) and had a blast. Just go in knowing it's a puzzle game wrapped up in a God Game package - don't expect it to be what it is not.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By John1912
    @imsh_pl
    Posting other reviews is just to share the information for those who are interested in the game. People usually link the reviews onto their favorite sites.  IE  a IGN review was linked to share with others on the favored site of Giantbomb as this is the place the person would rather share and discuss the game.
    jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jjnen
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    Played it all weekend (Thanks MS Shop!) and had a blast. Just go in knowing it's a puzzle game wrapped up in a God Game package - don't expect it to be what it is not.
    That sounds great!
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

@John1912: It's just that IGN is beyond shit. It baffles me why people still read their crap. These people should up their standards even if it's just a game review.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By buft

i was expecting a little lower, seems like my cup of tea but i wasnt expecting such a positive review. my main worry was the controls on 360 and the review does mention that fiddliness can make it a little more frustrating than normal. looks like a sweet avatar reward from the game too.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bybeach

I am a far worse person. Sometimes I go to GAMESPOT to see if they have a review up, and from there what the other sites are scoring as. I don't try to bring it on GS, but they can be slooooooow on their reviews, sometimes. I like the quicklooks here more often really, though on written reviews the guys at Giant bomb are unique and superb.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By John1912
    @CptBedlam: Never been a fan of the site.  Ive checked their reviews when others were not up, or out of boredom, Didnt seem any diffident then most sites.  IGN is pretty brand name far as review sites.  The sheer number of people who know/are simply aware of the site regardless, of their personal opinion, shoves it out in the open for discussion when they do a review.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CptBedlam

@buft: IGN gives a really good score ...now there's a surprise.

Seriously? Will people never learn? IGN has probably the single most inflated review score scale out there. Hell, they gave Army of Two: 40th Day an 8.5 (incidentally, IGNs review was an early exclusive. Go figure and then hopefully never trust the earliest reviews again).

This is me bashing IGN, not the game btw. I heard a lot of positive things about the game and I can't wait to play it. But I couldn't care less about what some IGN kindergarten editor has to say about it.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CptBedlam

@John1912: Here's an example ... read this DS2 review and then tell me you have any respect left for IGNs editorial team: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1145331p1.html

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I only care about video reviews because I want to see actual game play.  Don't care what site its from and wow, some of you are a bunch of moaning sobs.

chet_rippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chet_rippo
    @CptBedlam: Oh my god, what the hell was that? He sounded like a thirteen year old in some parts....
    Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imsh_pl said:
    THANK YOU.
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By John1912
    @CptBedlam said:

@John1912: Here's an example ... read this DS2 review and then tell me you have any respect left for IGNs editorial team: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1145331p1.html

Lol, I got about two paragraphs in.  Yea, that was painfully awful.....I didnt really have respect for them before.  It was an even zero....You now put it in negative numbers.....How far im not sure yet.....That review is going to sit with me for a while...Thanks......
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By MEATBALL

IGN UK's From Dust review (the one linked here) was written by Keza Macdonald, who has previously done notable work for Eurogamer and other sites. Macdonald is a far cry from Greg Miller's bullshit, and it would be a damn shame to dismiss this review just because some jerk on the internet decided to turn this into an excuse to link to Miller's notoriously bad Dead Space 2 review for the upteenth time. Take the time to actually read her review before jumping to the knee-jerk (often justified) IGN bashing, because it's actually an excellent and well written review.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By kraznor

@Metal_Mills said:

@PoToSkull said:

Jim Sterling is the Armond White of game reviews. If he hates it, it should be great.

Sigh, no, he just has opinions that don't always line up with everybody else. Why does every single reviewer need to approve of a game for people to enjoy it? Unlike most critics he actually uses the entire scale when rating a game, resulting in seemingly harsh criticisms. If you actually read the reviews you'd find he backs up everything he says, both good and bad. His 6.5 for "Bastion" may seem scathing, but he actually writes some very positive things about it. As for From Dust here is an excerpt from his review that showcases his even-handed approach, while maintaining his assertion that he just found the game kind of boring.

"I do not mean to take anything away from what the game accomplishes. It is most certainly a beautiful looking title, and the physics at play are fascinating. Watching the way earth, water and lava behave can become quite engrossing, and one cannot help but admire the work that went into making each element work in its own unique way. If only there was more to do, see and experience, it could truly be an outstanding title."

Sounds like a rational human being with thoughts and opinions to me, not the psychotic troll everyone makes him out to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Not very far into the game. Three levels perhaps. Seems neat. The control issues are relatively glaring on console, but the game is fine overall.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CptBedlam

@John1912 said:

@CptBedlam said:

Lol, I got about two paragraphs in. Yea, that was painfully awful.....I didnt really have respect for them before. It was an even zero....You now put it in negative numbers.....How far im not sure yet.....That review is going to sit with me for a while...Thanks......

You should read the whole thing for a good laugh. "But I have lots of favorite parts to Dead Space 2" ...lol

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By captain_clayman
    @PoToSkull said:
    jim sterling is such a downer.  i cant even take anything he says seriously since he seems to hate everything.  seems like he's just trying to strike up controversy and be contrary to everyone else.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By metal_mills

@Kraznor said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@PoToSkull said:

Sigh, no, he just has opinions that don't always line up with everybody else. Why does every single reviewer need to approve of a game for people to enjoy it? Unlike most critics he actually uses the entire scale when rating a game, resulting in seemingly harsh criticisms. If you actually read the reviews you'd find he backs up everything he says, both good and bad. His 6.5 for "Bastion" may seem scathing, but he actually writes some very positive things about it. As for From Dust here is an excerpt from his review that showcases his even-handed approach, while maintaining his assertion that he just found the game kind of boring.

"I do not mean to take anything away from what the game accomplishes. It is most certainly a beautiful looking title, and the physics at play are fascinating. Watching the way earth, water and lava behave can become quite engrossing, and one cannot help but admire the work that went into making each element work in its own unique way. If only there was more to do, see and experience, it could truly be an outstanding title."

Sounds like a rational human being with thoughts and opinions to me, not the psychotic troll everyone makes him out to be.

He always gives good games bad reviews. His Witcher 2 review was very inaccurate and showed he either had no idea ow to play, didn't play for long or didn't care to learn the mechanics he was hating on.

xXwindoverXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By xXwindoverXx
    @CptBedlam said:

@imsh_pl said:

Agreed.

Especially IGN and Destructoid are among the shittiest gaming sites out there ... stop posting links to their shit.

Everyone has an opinion. Yours is just shitty.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CptBedlam

@xXwindoverXx said:

@CptBedlam said:

@imsh_pl said:

Agreed.

Everyone has an opinion. Yours is just shitty.

Liking IGN makes you an idiot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.