Great and/or Terrible Game Boy (Advance) Recommendations?

• 57 results
#1 Edited by SerHulse (689 posts) -

I recently acquired a Game Boy Player for my Gamecube and need some stuff to play on it,

Any thoughts? They don't need to be good games, as long as I can get them for cheap. They can be either be Game Boy / Colour / Advance games, they can't however be any of the Pokémon games as I already own them.

I don't mind what the genre is, and the region also doesn't matter as I don't believe the GBA is region locked so Japan or America-only games are very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I've got some great suggestions, I'll have a ton of stuff to play for a while now so thanks.

However, all of the games so far have all been good games, are there any "so-bad-it's-good" or just plain awful games anyone knows about?

#2 Posted by myketuna (1778 posts) -

WIth the whole XCOM craze going on, I started playing a game called Rebelstar: Tactical Command. It's a cool little strategy game. Taking up most of my commute/waiting for classes time.

#3 Posted by mwng (970 posts) -
#4 Posted by SerHulse (689 posts) -
#5 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -
#6 Edited by MikkaQ (10346 posts) -

@SerHulse said:

@mwng: Is it worth getting that if I already have Advance Wars: Dual Strike?

Probably not unless the idea of playing Advance Wars on TV is that important to you.

Try and find Chu-Chu Rocket. It's a sweet puzzle game that has both hectic battle puzzles and more relaxed cerebral puzzles. It's also already a Dreamcast game though, so if you have that, it's probably the better platform. It's also out for iPad if you have one of those. But I remember the GBA port being really awesome, there were a lot more levels since they used a lot of the user made levels from the Dreamcast version.

#7 Posted by SerHulse (689 posts) -

@MikkaQ: I have literally just bought Chu Chu Rocket, I already had the DC version but my Dreamcast is broken, and it was only £2 so how could I not?

#8 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (747 posts) -

I just rebought this myself but I seem to remember DOOM being pretty cool on the GBA.

#9 Posted by NegativeCero (3058 posts) -

The Castlevania games on the GBA were great. Also the Fire Emblem games if you liked Advance Wars.

#10 Posted by MikkaQ (10346 posts) -

@SerHulse said:

@MikkaQ: I have literally just bought Chu Chu Rocket, I already had the DC version but my Dreamcast is broken, and it was only £2 so how could I not?

Wow that's a great price. I was worried it would be a difficult game to find, but apparently not. Gotta dig out the old cart sometime.

#11 Posted by TooSweet (425 posts) -

Super Robot Wars 1 and 2

#12 Posted by AndrewB (7693 posts) -

I hear those Pocket Monster games are snazzy. They even come in the remake of the original variety for the GBA.

#13 Posted by mwng (970 posts) -
@SerHulse: As MikkaQ said, probably not if you have the DS version.

In that case I change my answer to FFVI, if you don't have any other way of playing it.
#14 Posted by SerHulse (689 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

I hear those Pocket Monster games are snazzy. They even come in the remake of the original variety for the GBA.

I would actually like to own a copy of the original Japanese Green and Red, only ones I don't have yet (apart from Black 2)

#15 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

Boktai (Kojima)

Mystical Ninja 1 & 2 Collection (Konami)

Astro Boy: Omega Factor (Treasure)

SMA3: Yoshi's Island (Nintendo)

Link to the Past (Nintendo)

#16 Posted by musclerider (626 posts) -

Ninja Five-O

#17 Edited by AndrewB (7693 posts) -

Alright, some real suggestions:

All of the Zelda games, including Link's Awakening DX, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and definitely Minish Cap.

Believe it or not, the Gameboy Color version of Metal Gear Solid is solid. It's reminiscent of the old MSX games, but it has a PS1 era modern Metal Gear crazy story.

Dragon Warrior: Monsters is a good cross between Dragon Warrior (or Quest), Pokemon, and the Mystery Dungeon series.

Motocross Maniacs is the predecessor to Joe Danger, and I had a blast playing it back in the day.

The Wario series, starting with Super Mario Land 3 (the best) through Wario Land 4 for the GBA, before Wario was banished to the Warioware games never to be heard from again.

Gargoyle's Quest is some kind of twisted RPG/Platformer and it's deceptively cool. How could you go wrong with a story as riveting as "AN UNKNOWN ARMY... ATTACKED... THE KING HAS BEEN... GWAAHH!"

The aforementioned Castlevania games for the GBA were all fantastic. Specifically Aria of Sorrow, which of course spawned Dawn of Sorrow, another fantastic game.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is a good game. Much better than Tactics A2, which is reaaaaaly weird considering you'd think the DS version would be infinitely better.

#18 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6318 posts) -

@myketuna said:

WIth the whole XCOM craze going on, I started playing a game called Rebelstar: Tactical Command. It's a cool little strategy game. Taking up most of my commute/waiting for classes time.

Fuck I was trying to remember the name of this all day.

I love you.

#19 Posted by DoctorWelch (2763 posts) -

The Metroid games for the GBA are simply amazing, especially Fusion. There hasn't been a Metroid game that's come close to the quality of those games since.

#20 Posted by Shaka999 (514 posts) -
#21 Posted by Phatmac (5731 posts) -

Mario & Luigi Superstar saga is a must play.

#22 Posted by SaintOfKillers (72 posts) -

Golden Sun 1 and 2 are really good

#23 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

@SaintOfKillers: I was just about to condemn everyone in this thread for not mentioning those yet.

#24 Edited by pyromagnestir (4349 posts) -

Welcome to the club! I bought a GB player this past spring and played Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones on it, and recently I've played a bit of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX. I want to buy all the other Zelda Game Boy games for it at some point, plus maybe the Golden Sun games.

Man, I can't wait till we can save threads as favorites or something. I would fucking favorite this thread so fucking hard.

#25 Posted by MaxxS (207 posts) -

Warioware. So good.

#26 Posted by Gordo789 (359 posts) -

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis.

#27 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4635 posts) -

The first 3 Megaman Battle Network games are some of the best things out there, 2 is the high point in the series. If you want shit then keep playing after 3.

#28 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
#29 Posted by Zippedbinders (1053 posts) -

Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion, Minish Cap Sword of Mana, TMNT, Superstar Saga, you already have Pokemans, Nightmare In Dreamland is one of my favorite games of all time, Legacy of Goku 2, Drill Dozer, Klonoa 2 Dream Champ Tournament

Stuff I hear good things about but never played: Golden Sun 1 and 2, Fire Emblem series, Sigma Star Saga

#30 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@TooSweet said:

Super Robot Wars 1 and 2

Yeah, these are criminally underrated strategy games. Most of the Japanese I know came from having to translate parts of the PS2 version (and will hopefully serve me well for OG3!)

#31 Edited by Eder (462 posts) -
#32 Posted by believer258 (12454 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

The Metroid games for the GBA are simply amazing, especially Fusion. There hasn't been a Metroid game that's come close to the quality of those games since.

Of the two, I'd say that Zero Mission is a little closer to the greatness of Super Metroid because it allows for some more sequence breaking and is all around more Metroid-y. Fusion is just really, really linear. OP should still get both, though, and in addition to the two Metroid games get:

• Mega Man Zero 1, 2, 3, and 4
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • the Castlevania games
  • Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3 (unless you can play the SNES versions, on an actual SNES or Wii or emulator, more preferable there).
  • Golden Sun
  • Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (which isn't always great but it's still interesting)
  • Mega Man Battle Network (the later games have more features but none of them are all that different)
  • Sonic Advance 1, 2, 3

I know there's something I'm missing but I can't think of it...

#33 Posted by BrickRoad (704 posts) -

Learn Japanese and get Mother 1 +2 and Mother 3. Great games. ... Well, 2 and 3 certainly. FFVI also, as other have said, though it lags a bit and the sound is, per usual for GBA games, a little bit off.

#34 Posted by SerHulse (689 posts) -

Great suggestions so far guys, Thanks!

@BrickRoad said:

Learn Japanese and get Mother 1 +2 and Mother 3. Great games. ... Well, 2 and 3 certainly. FFVI also, as other have said, though it lags a bit and the sound is, per usual for GBA games, a little bit off.

I've heard great things about the Mother series, but it seems like it would be a massive investment, they are going for around £40-£50 each on eBay right now.

@Silvergun said:

@TooSweet said:

Super Robot Wars 1 and 2

Yeah, these are criminally underrated strategy games. Most of the Japanese I know came from having to translate parts of the PS2 version (and will hopefully serve me well for OG3!)

Are any other games in that series any good? It seems like it's be pretty hard to find copies of Game Boy ones.

#35 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@SerHulse said:

Are any other games in that series any good? It seems like it's be pretty hard to find copies of Game Boy ones.

OGS (the Remake of 1+2) and its sequel OG: Gaiden are my personal favorites, although I hear Z2 is also really good (haven't gotten around to that one yet). The whole OG series are basically a 'greatest hits' of the original characters, robots, and and storylines from the previous SRW games. Neither are translated, although translation guides do exist for both. At the very least, you'll want to know what the menu options mean.

#36 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, that's a terrible suggestion for you! Please think through your topic titles next time, thanks.

#37 Posted by 49th (2936 posts) -

Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django - man that game is awesome.

It has a solar sensor in it.

I held it up to the cloudy sky while it was starting to rain in terrible British weather just to get 1 bar of sunlight to purify my Vampire body, then I got sick bat powers and turned into a werewolf. It was worth it.

#38 Posted by PenguinDust (12701 posts) -

Astro Boy Omega Factor. It's really a great horizontal character-shooter/brawler. I know the license might raise an eyebrow, but it's an under-appreciated gem. Seek it out and have some fun.

#39 Posted by Meepasaurus (236 posts) -

@SaintOfKillers said:

Golden Sun 1 and 2 are really good

I spent most the GBA era playing just these two games. Highly recommended!

#40 Posted by SerHulse (689 posts) -

@Daryl said:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, that's a terrible suggestion for you! Please think through your topic titles next time, thanks.

I meant "Terrible" as in "Terrible Games" it says so in the OP.

#41 Posted by mlarrabee (3143 posts) -

I'll just list all the GBA games I bought when I finally picked up a handheld:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords

Super Mario Bros. 3: Super Mario Advance 4

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Advance Wars

Metroid Fusion

WarioWare Twisted!

Metal Gear Solid

Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Since I had never owned a handheld system before, nor a Nintendo platform, I look at many, many personal and publication top ten lists before buying. Except Metal Gear Solid; I bought that because I had never played a MGS game.

By the way, anyone here have any experience changing a GBA cart battery? I've never gotten into Castlevania because starting over every time becomes a bit grating...

#42 Posted by myketuna (1778 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@myketuna said:

Fuck I was trying to remember the name of this all day.

I love you.

Someone suggested this in a "Games similar to XCOM" thread and I decided to try it out on a whim. Game is gonna keep me busy until I can buy, and have time for, XCOM proper.

#43 Posted by notdavid (845 posts) -

I always thought that Lady Sia was an underrated classic. You might want to dig that up somewhere.

#44 Posted by SerHulse (689 posts) -

@mlarrabee: Completely forgot about Mario Vs. DK, I'll pick that up.

By the way, anyone here have any experience changing a GBA cart battery? I've never gotten into Castlevania because starting over every time becomes a bit grating...

See if this video helps you: http://youtu.be/JvnHvhOl7I4

#45 Edited by mlarrabee (3143 posts) -

@SerHulse: Thanks!

I didn't imagine it was hard, but I just never took the time to actually do it!

EDIT: As it turns out, that's the one game I own that's a bootleg. It's missing the "Nintendo #########" printing.

#46 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2867 posts) -

All the big games have already been mentioned so I'll point out a few lesser known ones:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Actually a really awesome beat em up game on the GBA.
Dragon Ball Z Legacy of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury- If you like DBZ you have absolutely no excuse not to own these games.
Wario Ware Mega Microgame$- Very strange game, but also very addictive. 
Crazy Taxi Catch a Ride- Haven't played this game in a while but I remember having lots of fun with this game on road trips.

#47 Posted by SerHulse (689 posts) -

@Turtlebird95: Well I do like DBZ, so I guess I've got no choice!

#48 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2867 posts) -
@SerHulse said:

@Turtlebird95: Well I do like DBZ, so I guess I've got no choice!

You don't! They're excellent games that recreate the story perfectly. Totally worth it.
#49 Posted by TooWalrus (13272 posts) -

That Banjo-Kazooie GBA game is pretty... uh, it's really somethin' else. 

#50 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4635 posts) -
@Zippedbinders

Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion, Minish Cap Sword of Mana, TMNT, Superstar Saga, you already have Pokemans, Nightmare In Dreamland is one of my favorite games of all time, Legacy of Goku 2, Drill Dozer, Klonoa 2 Dream Champ Tournament

Stuff I hear good things about but never played: Golden Sun 1 and 2, Fire Emblem series, Sigma Star Saga

Can't believe I forgot about the Golden Sun games. If you like some old school turn based RPGs then dig into Golden Sun, those were some fantastic games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.