Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

So they had a reviewing event for this?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TwoOneFive

I thought Jeff was adamantly against that kind of thing ever since they did something similar with MGS4. 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

Times change.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Absurd

Doesn't seem like a very good working environment :P

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By jeff

Since retail copies were provided well before release, we were able to see the game running on a proper TV, with a proper sound system, and with proper retail load times prior to release. If that hadn't happened, we would have held our review until that was possible.

Avatar image for crazyscreenwriter
    crazyscreenwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crazyscreenwriter
    Jeff said:
    "Since retail copies were provided well before release, we were able to see the game running on a proper TV, with a proper sound system, and with proper retail load times prior to release. If that hadn't happened, we would have held our review until that was possible."
    Jeff can I ask how you played the multiplayer? Or if you played it at all for your reviews. Just wondering since a lot of people (myself included) have been having problems with the matchmaking system. I was wondering if reviewers noticed it, or whether it was even present...
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jeff

Enough copies of the game had gotten out there that playing multiplayer online prior to release wasn't a problem at all.

I haven't run into any issues with the matchmaking system. Sounds like most of the people complaining about it don't understand how it works or want to be able to play ranked games against their friends, which sort of defeats the purpose of having ranked games.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By napalm

At least Jeff did the responsible thing and played a retail copy to make sure everything was cool (good), even though I wouldn't expect that trickery from Epic Games, but it's good that you did that.

Avatar image for crazyscreenwriter
    crazyscreenwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crazyscreenwriter
    Jeff said:
    "Enough copies of the game had gotten out there that playing multiplayer online prior to release wasn't a problem at all.
    I haven't run into any issues with the matchmaking system. Sounds like most of the people complaining about it don't understand how it works or want to be able to play ranked games against their friends, which sort of defeats the purpose of having ranked games.
    "
    Interesting. The main problem I keep running into is just the amount of time it takes to get into a game -- shortest being 5 minutes and the longest being 20 minutes, and a couple times I've  just sat their for thirty minutes waiting. There's quite a few people with the same complaint on the Official Gears 2 forum, and a small minority that aren't having any problems at all. Maybe the matchmaking servers are just getting slammed. 
    Thanks, I was just wondering.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jeff

Yeah, that's probably a traffic thing. I haven't played the game much since it was released, so I can't say either way.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Jeff said:
    "Since retail copies were provided well before release, we were able to see the game running on a proper TV, with a proper sound system, and with proper retail load times prior to release. If that hadn't happened, we would have held our review until that was possible."
    nice, on any other site it seems like the people running it never even look at the forums. 
    so uh, thanks!  i was just a little curious about it, the idea of it seemed odd to me and i thought i remembered hearing you in a podcast talking about how weird that mgs4 stuff was (even if i heard it from somewhere else you know what I'm talking about for sure). 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.