Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Can't go back to Gears after Uncharted...

• 58 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@Juicebox said:

@DexterKid:

Well, then since people are accusing you of being a fanboy you must be doing something wrong.

I must be.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By TheFreeMan

I haven't played Uncharted 3 yet, but Uncharted 2 is easily my favourite TPS. I like Gears, but I hate how the guns seem to have no impact and the enemies are bullet sponges. They alleviated that feeling pretty well in Gears 3, since Locust didn't seem to take a half a clip from a Lancer to go down, and blowing somebody to gibs with a shotgun is pretty fun, but the shooting still wasn't totally satisfying for me. I much prefer Uncharted's speed and how easily Drake can get around, too. The fellas in Gears are all really lumbering and it works for the game, but I just dig Uncharted more.

Of course, this is only in comparison to Uncharted 2. Pretty much any game of the Gears series is better than any other TPS I've played, including Uncharted 1.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By AlexW00d

@Afroman269 said:

Wow, it's definitely the opposite for me. I can't stand UC 3 (multiplayer wise) after playing Gears 3. The general movement is imprecise but I understand that it has to be somewhat loose because you are climbing around and shit unlike in Gears. As for shooting, it's easily more superior than Uncharted, they at least fixed the fucked aiming but I still feel a lot more accurate in Gears. It probably just comes down to personal preference anyways because I just find the movement and aiming to be so fucking smooth and polished in Gears 3.

@AlexW00d said:

I've always founds Gears' combat really really fucking boring. Some people say that they prefer the slower pace and sluggish movement because it makes it more tactical or whatever, but that's bullshit. All the enemies are bullet sponges, online and off, and it's really imprecise. There is absolutely no method or tactics to be found.

But I'll probably be called a hater or whatever this months word is for people who you don't agree with.

Bullet sponges? Sure, but saying that there's "no method or tactics"? Now that right there is some bullshit.

Well, not really. Unless you are able to play with a group of friends all conversing, planning is nigh on impossible, so tactics will be non-existent.

I find it the same with almost all console shooters though, not just Gears. Maybe it would be different if I had a load of friends who played console games, but I don't.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#54  Edited By spazmaster666

I completely disagree. The actual shooting in Gears is FAR superior to both Uncharted 2 and 3, which are more action/platforming games than shooters. Also, Gears of War 3 looks pretty damn good, better than UC3 IMO. It may not be as impressive visually due to it's setting/use of color but technically speaking it has a superior engine in many aspects (including facial detail, meshes, lighting, number of enemies rendered on screen, particle effects, even water effects are better in Gears 3 than Uncharted 3) Basically Epic knows their stuff when it comes to good-looking shooters.

After finishing up Uncharted 3, I had very little desire to go back and replay it. But with Gears of War 3, I have replayed the game at least three times (including once on insane) and am looking forward to a fourth, co-op run.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By Afroman269

@AlexW00d: I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you haven't played a whole lot of Gears multiplayer. There are some tricks and strategies that people can do by themselves to stay alive longer. I'll admit and say that there is a barrier for newcomers that may be intimidating and discourages people from trying to find out what they are, but I wouldn't be so good at the game if I just ran out in the open confronting people and acting mindlessly all the time. Some people treat it like any standard FPS and run out to kill the first guy they see which ends up in death most of the time.

Don't generalize.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Gears of War 3 campaign was mind numbingly boring.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By AlexW00d

@Afroman269: Not tonnes no, but roughly the same amount as Uncharted (which I don't particularly like much either, but of the two I prefer it).

And I never run about like that in any online game. Of course loads of people do, but that's that. And you get tricks and strategies in all games, but I wouldn't call those tactics. By the very definition of the word tactics you need planning, and when there is no way to plan then that's it.

Maybe with this it's just my like for playing a role in a team, as opposed to lone wolfing or whatever it is referred to.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By Afroman269

@AlexW00d: The planning definitely becomes a factor when you're playing with friends, but like you said before you haven't really done that so you wouldn't know. The tac/com in the game is great for highlighting key areas that you want to hold down and can spot out teammate locations. Also the ability to "tag" guys by aiming at them is really useful. The tools to carry out strategies are there.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Fair enough. Respect your view but couldnt dissagree more. I enjoyed both GW3 & UC3 but have to say that GW3 felt like the better, more refined package. It looked great & handled well. When I played UC3 the game looked amazing but I felt handled like shit to the extent I would put it down for a week, play a few chapters, rinse repeat. If the game didnt look as good as it did and I hadn't played and love the first 2 games I doubt I would have given it as much time as I did. I felt that Naughty Dog were the victims of their own ambitions in many ways. While Drake moves and animates in amazing ways it somtimes felt that because of this I couldnt control him as acuratley as I wanted as if the look of the animations took priority over the controls response. I felt that the iffy aiming (havent tried the patch so based on release aiming) was horrible and this with the combination of almost every enemy being a bullet sponge made for not a great combat experience. I did enjoy the melee combat and feel that some of the details envoled in that are fantastic. One minor thing that gets me about Drake in UC3 is why does he have to touch everything? He's become "that guy" who comes round your house and has to pick up & touch everything you own while talking to you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.