Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Just to remind everyone about Lambent..

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell

I saw the big tentacle monsters n I was like WHAT THE F- THAT'S NOT VERY GEARS-ISH! Then I read the game was about the Lambent and I got kinda lost. I'm guessin most other people don't remember any of this either.

LOCUSTS are the rock-guys who you've bin fightin since Gears 1.
    LAMBENT (No idea how you pronounce this) are mutated locusts who got pumped full of emulsion. Emulsion is the yellow juice underground. Remember the end of Gears 2 where you ride a Brumak? You waddle it into the emulsion and it mutates and blows up. That's what Lambent are: Locusts that grow tentacles n blow up. They're the main enemy in Gears 3.
    When you were stormin the queen at the end of Gears 2, you kinda get the impression that the locusts are at war with the lambent, but it never really shows em. I don't remember hearing "Lambent" at all.

Jus thought I'd bring it up, cos I totally forgot about all this nonsense.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By RobotHamster

Well I didn't forget, I'm pretty good with the gears universe, I've played through them a crazy amount of times and read both novels so it wasn't really that big of a what was that moment as it would be to the non informed gears people.  Its sad that most of the people out there are only interested in shooting and graphics and not just in gears but with all games.  While i do love both of those its not just those things what makes a game great and people just forget that.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By jacksukeru

Yeah I remembered something about some glowy guys. Also you never actually killed chainsaw spear guy, they were chainsaw spears right? I don't remember..

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pessh

Dude, you see the lambent fighting the locust in the second game, when you're underground towards the end. Pretty clear it was going to be about the lambent, Marcus said shit like 'somethings driving them aboveground' multiple times.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, when "Lambent" was mentioned with the released trailer, I thought the staff made an error. I don't remember hearing anything about the Lambent.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By guiseppe

Lambent wretches! Is what I remember from the first game.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @RockmanBionics said:
    " Yeah I remembered something about some glowy guys. Also you never actually killed chainsaw spear guy, they were chainsaw spears right? I don't remember.. "
    He wipes out when you take down the Hyrdra hes riding, he dies. Or its implied he dies. He smokes the ground pretty hard and doesn't move.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Burns098356GX

'Lambent' are the Locusts that have increased exposure to Imulsion ie. in the first game you encounter Lambent wretches that live at an emulsion plant, the second game has Lambents fighting agianst the regular locusts in a civil war, and your Brumak you ride at the end turns Lambent and mutates when he walks into the Imulsion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The biggest complaint that I have been seeing is that people seem to think that you will be joining the Locust to fight the Lambent but from the looks of it you will remain hostile to both, plus these are not the Elites here they aren't looking for religious meaning in their existence the Locust just want to kill everything and so do the Lambent.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

Lambent is pronounced "lam-bent"

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hitchenson

It's funny how people forgot about the Lambent already, Gears 2 basically just came out.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Marz

Yeah i heard the queen on her intercom telling the locust to rally against the lambent or some shiz numerous times while you were down there exploring.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hatking
    @natetodamax said:

"Lambent is pronounced "lam-bent" "

I want to know how people were messing that up. 

I'm curious to see how they wrap the whole thing up.  It sort of feels like they keep presenting new questions without really answering the last batch.  I'm no game designer but I feel like they have quite a bit to answer with this game and it seems like in order to do that the game would have to be three times the length of the first two.   

Also, maybe it's time they quit introducing concepts to the series?  I mean this is the conclusion, is adding characters really a good idea?  They have their plates full with the story questions, do they really want to have to establish new characters as well? 

I'm curious to see how it's all handled, but they best tread carefully as to not leave too many plot holes, which at this points seems nigh impossible.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Skald

I just want them to wrap up their beefy space-dude trilogy and make another Jazz Jackrabbit game. The storyline and writing in Gears of War 2 was unbelievably bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Burns098356GX said:
    " @RockmanBionics said:
    " Yeah I remembered something about some glowy guys. Also you never actually killed chainsaw spear guy, they were chainsaw spears right? I don't remember.. "
    He wipes out when you take down the Hyrdra hes riding, he dies. Or its implied he dies. He smokes the ground pretty hard and doesn't move. "
    It seems pretty clear that Skorge is dead. 

Will the Lambent bleed red? If my chainsaw kills are less gruesome, then it's a dealbreaker.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By I_smell
    Here's a pretty good interview with Cliff. Again. I love the guy.

Speaking of wrapping up the story, he specifically mentions that Cole will have some backstory and evolve into an actual character in this game instead of being a big black dude who stomps around yellin WOO YEAH BITCHES! DIS MY KINDA SHIT!!
     Which I think is fucking perfect. It's like he's in my head.

Also, big spoiler:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.