Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

Questions they didn't answer *SPOILER discussion inside*

• 72 results
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#51  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Enigma777 said:

@Slaker117 said:
    @Enigma777 said:
    Why did you have to go get fuel from Ice T and then search for fuel again once you were at the docks?
    The fuel you got from Ice-T was for the truck, which you needed to get to the docks. Once there, you needed more/different fuel for the submarine.
    So what was that big tankard about then?

Dom used it for the explosion.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By Enigma777
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Slaker117 said:
    @Enigma777 said:
    Why did you have to go get fuel from Ice T and then search for fuel again once you were at the docks?
    The fuel you got from Ice-T was for the truck, which you needed to get to the docks. Once there, you needed more/different fuel for the submarine.
    So what was that big tankard about then?

Dom used it for the explosion.

Thanks Captain Obvious. 
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#53  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Enigma777: Then why you bothered to ask if you already know the answer.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Enigma777
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

@Enigma777: Then why you bothered to ask if you already know the answer.

Because that's not what my question was asking... Read the whole thread next time? 
    yogetoutdaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By yogetoutdaway

Well, in the Gears 2 level called "Origins" we find out that, in the past, the human "subjects" at the New Hope Facility were taken to Mount Kadar, which was later determined to be the entrance to the Locust capital. We also find out that the Sires (who were never refered to as "subjects", but rather "the genetic bridge to our future") were left behind at the facility for futher observation. Given that "sire" can mean forefather or progenator, we might infer that the Sires where the original Locust in the Hollow before the humans came along and did some kind of funky sci-fi experimentation that gave rise to the modern Locust.

I don't know about the Queen, though. Not sure how people came to think that she and the science lady are one in the same, so I'm definitely missing something.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@yogetoutdaway said:

Well, in the Gears 2 level called "Origins" we find out that, in the past, the human "subjects" at the New Hope Facility were taken to Mount Kadar, which was later determined to be the entrance to the Locust capital. We also find out that the Sires (who were never refered to as "subjects", but rather "the genetic bridge to our future") were left behind at the facility for futher observation. Given that "sire" can mean forefather or progenator, we might infer that the Sires where the original Locust in the Hollow before the humans came along and did some kind of funky sci-fi experimentation that gave rise to the modern Locust. I don't know about the Queen, though. Not sure how people came to think that she and the science lady are one in the same, so I'm definitely missing something.

I think the Sires may be the forefather to the Queen, and thus the "sires" to the downfall of humanity, not the Locusts themselves. When you go into the hollow, you see an entire cultural mecha, one that looked to have been hundreds, if not thousands of years old. The locusts had an advanced class structure, a largely worshiped unidentified religion, its own architecture and culture, etc etc. Its doubtful that they made all this in thirty years.

If I recall though, there was a file in Gears 2 in the "Origins" level about a girl who was being tested on with the Sires, who escaped. Likely the Queen.

All will be revealed in Gears 4.

yogetoutdaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By yogetoutdaway
    @allworkandlowpay said:

@yogetoutdaway said:

Well, in the Gears 2 level called "Origins" we find out that, in the past, the human "subjects" at the New Hope Facility were taken to Mount Kadar, which was later determined to be the entrance to the Locust capital. We also find out that the Sires (who were never refered to as "subjects", but rather "the genetic bridge to our future") were left behind at the facility for futher observation. Given that "sire" can mean forefather or progenator, we might infer that the Sires where the original Locust in the Hollow before the humans came along and did some kind of funky sci-fi experimentation that gave rise to the modern Locust. I don't know about the Queen, though. Not sure how people came to think that she and the science lady are one in the same, so I'm definitely missing something.

I think the Sires may be the forefather to the Queen, and thus the "sires" to the downfall of humanity, not the Locusts themselves. When you go into the hollow, you see an entire cultural mecha, one that looked to have been hundreds, if not thousands of years old. The locusts had an advanced class structure, a largely worshiped unidentified religion, its own architecture and culture, etc etc. Its doubtful that they made all this in thirty years.

If I recall though, there was a file in Gears 2 in the "Origins" level about a girl who was being tested on with the Sires, who escaped. Likely the Queen.

That's very interesting; so you don't believe that the scientist lady has anything to do with the Queen?
    Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yogetoutdaway said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@yogetoutdaway said:

That's very interesting; so you don't believe that the scientist lady has anything to do with the Queen?

I think the queen is/was a human, a tortured soul kidnapped by the COG and experimented on in the Sires program, who later, as described in the document at the facility, broke free and found some of her genetic half-ancestors. After which, with a bloodlust, seek to destroy humanity. Fenix knew her, because I feel we shall find out that, like with all bad things COG has devised, Adam Fenix was involved with the Sires program.

I believe Fenix's wife's death was the first encounter with the Locust, who they captured and experimented on, and tried to cross breed in some experiments that formed the Sires. The girl, was different somehow, and when she escaped, Adam Fenix tried to hunt her down, and eventually discovered (much later) that she had now taken the throne. I'd figure this would explain the close but not so friendly relationship Fenix has had with the Queen. If my theory is correct, he was both essentially her captor and surrogate father.

Or I could be wrong. Either way, be a good fan-fic to write if I'm bored.

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By RedneckedCrake

@ThePhantomnaut said:

Book.@Mike512 said:

I am rather shocked they didn't answer these two huge questions...

1. Why does the queen look human?

2. What are the Sires?

Any other big mysteries left unanswered?

Books and collectibles.

I don't think they should require you to get the books and collectibles to answer all those questions. If that's the case, 90% of the people who beat the game will never find out because most people don't worry about the collectibles. They should have answered them at the end or say you played through the story. They could have afforded to make the campaign a bit longer and add all this stuff in. It felt kind of short to me anyway.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Shadow

@Burns098356GX said:

@Shadow said:

Both of those questions can be answered by:

Locust are people too

I believe the original ones were mutated humans brought to you by Adam Fenix

I've always assumed the Locust queen was Marcus's mom who Adam tried to save from cancer (or something similar) by turning her into one.

Elaine Fenix didnt die of cancer. She was found dead in the Hollow under Jacinto while she was working, she was a biologist specializing in mutation. Its possible this is the first encounter with the Queen and Adam Fenix.

From what I gathered throughout the three games is that the Locust have always been underground, juding by their structures. Plus theres a childrens story about boogey men taking kids away underground, urban legen type stuff.

The Sires were early stages of eveolution Locusts. Like a neanderthal is to a human.

The Locusts became aware of the lambent infection, and needed to flee the underground, to do so they had to invade and kill humanity. Or another theroy is that the Queen wanted Adam to find a way to kill the Lambet problem, but he couldn't so they decide to commit genocide on humanity. Which would make sence when she says 'humanity brought this war upon itself'...for not being able to help them.

I said 'or something similar' meaning she would have died if not for him turning her into one. This also explains why Adam sounds so depressed when Marcus tells him she's dead after being crushed by the chandelier ball thing.

A society as advanced as the one on Sera could not have gotten to the technological advancement they attained without discovering a sentient race living less than a mile under them. The locust did not always exist, it couldn't have

The Locust architecture is actually pretty archaic, as is all their technology. Nothing they use indicates that it would have taken them longer than 24 years (the time between Adam's wife's 'disappearance' and Gears 1) to develop to that level, especially if they could backwards-engineer from human technology, and use their architecture as a template. The level of advancement apparent between Gears games also fits with this rapid (as compared to humans) development.

The Sires were Adam's first attempt to create a true Locust, wholly stronger lifeforms than humans, created from them and able to live longer, resist disease, and withstand bullshit like razor hail, which clearly indicates something fucked up in the environment. When imulsion was discovered and was spread all over the place by humans, it proved to be a natural enemy to the Locust that turned them into mindless(?) lambent and that's where the whole war started.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Teran

@Slaker117 said:

@Enigma777 said:

That's the same conclusion I came to, but they definitely could have explained it better. Should have made the submarine run on something other than generic fuel like "fuel rods" or something.

@Afroman269 said:

@SomeDeliCook: That's not a bad theory but it just doesn't really hold water. There is absolutely no sign of the humans being able to accomplish space travel. Just look anywhere for some mention of a spacecraft. The Locust managed to thrive underground which you can explore their complex buildings throughout Gears 2. The Locust decided to make themselves known when the Humans continued to drill for Imulsion. The opening of Gears 2 supports this theory the most because of the Queen's speech about the human's hunger for Imulsion and having no sympathy for them because they brought the whole Human/Locust War upon themselves. Also, if you remember that Adam Fenix was working with the Locust to find a cure for the Imulsion problem that could benefit both species, but the Humans continued to drill for Imulsion. The Locust had enough and decided to "invade" because staying underground was no longer viable.

You don't think an entire network of laser satellites counts as a sign of them being able to accomplish space travel? We see that they have launch vehicles to reliably get satellites to space and technology advanced enough to weaponize lasers effective from potentially a thousand miles away. Space travel may never have been concretely confirmed, but it's certainly implied by the level of technology. I'm not saying they are part of a galaxy spanning empire, simply that they have at least achieved the level of space travel we have today in the real world.

As for the humans bringing the war on themselves, they were not even aware of the Locust existence before E-day. Humans brought absolutely nothing on themselves, Adam Fenix brought it on them... the Locust brought it on them because while the humans were unaware of the Locust, the Locust were very aware of the humans. This is stated pretty clearly near the end of GoW3.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@Shadow: I also was under the impression that the Queen may have been Marcus' mother not sure about the cancer thing though..

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By Shadow

@MrCroftLover said:

@Shadow: I also was under the impression that the Queen may have been Marcus' mother not sure about the cancer thing though..

Not necesarily cancer, just something life-threatening that couldn't be helped with conventional medicine. A near-fatal archeological accident would work too.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#64  Edited By Commisar123

.@Mike512 said:

I am rather shocked they didn't answer these two huge questions...

1. Why does the queen look human?

2. What are the Sires?

Any other big mysteries left unanswered?

I think they make it pretty clear that the Adam Fenix had a hand increasing the locust, I'm assuming by combining Human DNA with imulsion, but not enough to make them those zombie things. The Sires are the failed by products of these experiments

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By WickedFather

Not all locust were killed by the device, just those with a high enough level of imulsion contamination.  Adam was trying to sort it so that the machine didn't kill the infected (but not yet lambent) locust but didn't have time.  All the info is there in the story but easy enough to miss if you're having a chin wag during co-op.

The Pendulem Wars was a 79 year affair between the COG and the UIR, both human super powers that ended when the COG stole the Hammer of Dawn tech.  I found that out after trying to find out what the hell Myrrah is after I'd finished the game twice.

http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Armistice_between_the_UIR_and_COG

Slayeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Slayeric

@WickedFather: Not all Locust? What did I miss? I thought that was why the Locust queen was trying to destroy the device that would destroy the imulsion infection and kill Adam Fenix. Because it would kill all Locust along with the Lambet. From what I've gathered from the games and this thread is that would make sense for all of them to die because the humans had ruined the Locust's habitat and was leading to their exposure to the imulsion.

My room mate and I were talking over part of the end so it's possible I missed out on something. I hope that's true because that could only mean one thing. More Gears games!

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Teran

@Slayeric: I think the machine would kill all locust... or if not all, the vast majority of. The Locust were far more exposed to imulsion as a species living underground. The only humans that were infected lived in some very extreme circumstances, like amidst an old imulsion field for a couple years. The locust on the other hand were exposed to it over a longer term which made their infection seem quicker by comparison... but most if not all of them would be fatally infected.

I personally would be disappointed if they were wiped out completely... a future where locust and human have to co-exist peacefully (or not) sounds interesting.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I laughed when Adam was about to reveal something about the Queen when Marcus tells him, "Tell me later, Dad...after your death." Pretty EPIC trolling.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might be misremembering this, but I thought I saw a few Locust die instead of all them in the ending?
    Didn't some of them fall down and the rest was like: 'Bob? What's wrong duder?'.
    Didn't strike me as odd, they wouldn't have enough immulsion in their system, but at the same time Adam said it would kill all of them...
    Gotta look it up to confirm, but just a thought.

How does that even work btw? The machine is made to wipe out immulsion, so why would normal locust be affected? 
    Sure most of them were probably fatally exposed to immulsion but that would put them at risk of either dying or going lambent anyway...

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By WickedFather
    @Slayeric said:

@WickedFather: Not all Locust? What did I miss? I thought that was why the Locust queen was trying to destroy the device that would destroy the imulsion infection and kill Adam Fenix. Because it would kill all Locust along with the Lambet. From what I've gathered from the games and this thread is that would make sense for all of them to die because the humans had ruined the Locust's habitat and was leading to their exposure to the imulsion.

My room mate and I were talking over part of the end so it's possible I missed out on something. I hope that's true because that could only mean one thing. More Gears games!

He was trying to tweak it so it didn't kill infected but pre-lambent locust, which he managed with humans.  Myrrah was trying to stop him firing it off before he'd found the solution, but the bellend had infected himself and was running out of time.

In case people also missed it Adam Fenix was having dialogues with Myrrah since before E-Day - right chummy buggers they were.
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By DeeGee

It really eneded with "Oh, btw, there's this building that can instantly kill all locust and lambet on the entire plane, how lucky'?

Great.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By Scotto

@Enigma777 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you never actually get the fuel from Griffin. You go on his errand, you come back and shit is going nuts, he blames you for killing all of his people, Marcus loses it on him, and he takes off in the cable car. Am I forgetting something?

- Scott

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.