Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War II

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 13, 2007

God of War II continues the story of Kratos as he wields his newly-bestowed god-like powers, much to the dismay and fear of the other gods.

Won God of War II

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JCGamer

Well, I actually won this game sometime last year--but after God of War III, I needed to buy the Collection and play through GoW I and II.  Won I last week, won II this week.  Some thoughts of this game after playing III. 

--In my opinion, the best game of the series.  After finishing III, I had the idea tat II was better--and after playing through it, I believe it is the best God of War game.  The scope of the game was bigger than III.  Although that might sound silly, considering how III had the titans and all, II just seemed to be a bit more epic in scope.  I think that it has to do with the environments.  In III (and a good part of I), you are in a dungeon/hades/labyrinth to some extent.  While II definitely had those bits, the parts in between  were filled with nice vistas and open environments.  I couldn't put my finger on it after finishing III, but after going back to II and seeing the variety of environments and outside areas, it made the game feel just a bit bigger in scope.    

-I also think that this game had the best story of the 3 games.  It not only seemed to have the most story in terms of quantity, but also quality.  The presentation of the cut scenes (both in engine and cinematics) were fantastic.  Voice acting was superb, and there seemed to be a bit more character progression.  That being said, Kratos started angry, and ended angry--but the motivations seemed true enough for a game where you go about killing Gods.  

-The graphics stand-up even today, and even after playing III.  While GoW I's graphics seemed to have aged a bit--II's graphics are still pretty great and the art direction is spot on.  

-Gameplay.  The developers managed to make the combat more fluid and quicker compared to the first game.  I still think that III had the best combat (that is to be expected though--as III is just a refinement of I and II's combat), but II's combat system is better than the first.  I still never used the hammer or the spear (or even the magic other than the lightening one) though.  

-Man, I was an idiot in my initial play through of this game.  There is a part in the game over half way, where you have to turn a crank to make a grapple point come down.  You then have to grapple it, and let it take to up to the next screen.  While you are trying to do this--these bat/harpie-like things keep respawing and attacking you either knocking you off the grapple, or preventing you from turing the crank to bring down the grapple.  Well, the first time I played this level it must have taken me about an hour to get past this point.  I would use the lightening and turn the crank, then use lighting to grapple, and then prey I wouldn't get hit.  It took me FOREVER to get past this the first time and was the one part of this game I was dreading (like the Hades spike thing in GoW I).  Well, it turns out you can wall climb and destroy the respawn points for the enemies and thus have no obstacle to the crank/grapple thing after you destroyed the 3 nests.  Damn, I was a fool to miss that the first time. 

-A great game, loved it from start to finish.  Since I played the GoW collection, I just need to finish the challenge modes to get my first Platinum!!!  

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JCGamer

Well, I actually won this game sometime last year--but after God of War III, I needed to buy the Collection and play through GoW I and II.  Won I last week, won II this week.  Some thoughts of this game after playing III. 

--In my opinion, the best game of the series.  After finishing III, I had the idea tat II was better--and after playing through it, I believe it is the best God of War game.  The scope of the game was bigger than III.  Although that might sound silly, considering how III had the titans and all, II just seemed to be a bit more epic in scope.  I think that it has to do with the environments.  In III (and a good part of I), you are in a dungeon/hades/labyrinth to some extent.  While II definitely had those bits, the parts in between  were filled with nice vistas and open environments.  I couldn't put my finger on it after finishing III, but after going back to II and seeing the variety of environments and outside areas, it made the game feel just a bit bigger in scope.    

-I also think that this game had the best story of the 3 games.  It not only seemed to have the most story in terms of quantity, but also quality.  The presentation of the cut scenes (both in engine and cinematics) were fantastic.  Voice acting was superb, and there seemed to be a bit more character progression.  That being said, Kratos started angry, and ended angry--but the motivations seemed true enough for a game where you go about killing Gods.  

-The graphics stand-up even today, and even after playing III.  While GoW I's graphics seemed to have aged a bit--II's graphics are still pretty great and the art direction is spot on.  

-Gameplay.  The developers managed to make the combat more fluid and quicker compared to the first game.  I still think that III had the best combat (that is to be expected though--as III is just a refinement of I and II's combat), but II's combat system is better than the first.  I still never used the hammer or the spear (or even the magic other than the lightening one) though.  

-Man, I was an idiot in my initial play through of this game.  There is a part in the game over half way, where you have to turn a crank to make a grapple point come down.  You then have to grapple it, and let it take to up to the next screen.  While you are trying to do this--these bat/harpie-like things keep respawing and attacking you either knocking you off the grapple, or preventing you from turing the crank to bring down the grapple.  Well, the first time I played this level it must have taken me about an hour to get past this point.  I would use the lightening and turn the crank, then use lighting to grapple, and then prey I wouldn't get hit.  It took me FOREVER to get past this the first time and was the one part of this game I was dreading (like the Hades spike thing in GoW I).  Well, it turns out you can wall climb and destroy the respawn points for the enemies and thus have no obstacle to the crank/grapple thing after you destroyed the 3 nests.  Damn, I was a fool to miss that the first time. 

-A great game, loved it from start to finish.  Since I played the GoW collection, I just need to finish the challenge modes to get my first Platinum!!!  

Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Swaboo
    No Caption Provided
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By copycatzen

You should make a review of the game instead of this. You do know you can do it right?
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Cirdain

Join this up in the lead sentences, remove the dashes then add as an review

lancer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By lancer75

You won the games?  Lucky you, I lost the game...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.