Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

God of War: A Debasement/ Reverence for Myth

MeatXbeatsXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Edited By MeatXbeatsXman

The God of War series has always had the uncanny ability to keep me captivated in its universe. I credit this mostly towards the flexibility the subject matter has. The violence is over the top, the story is dramatic, and there are enough bare-breasted vixen to open the most epic of burlesque houses. Yet, something I think people forget is that these are accurate descriptions of the gods of the time. The embracing of the human form in its most natural and sometimes carnal form are made center stage. The customs and common practices of the people made up the stories and idiosyncrasies of their gods, with focus es on  heroism, reverence for your bounties and life, grandeur, and sexuality. There's very little room for further bastardization, but plenty for development. Hell, there are like 2 dozen tales of Zeus raping people, and in one case he turned into a swan and had sex with a beautiful woman for the sole purpose of making a beautiful baby daughter, and then to possibly have sex with said beautiful daughter in the -possibly near or distant- future.  I'm not sure of the exact accuracy of the latter claim, but I doubt anyone nowadays is going to take the time to bitch me out about it. Times have changed, the religious of our day are too busy staring into their grilled cheese sandwiches looking for miracles to realize that this shit works i n cycles.
        Anywa ys , I think if anything I think it's great to keep these characters alive. I mean seriously, think about how much of a badass

I think Joseph Campbell would've appreciated all of the eviscerating.
    Kratos is, compared to the other heroes who in some cases he has brutally murdered. His is a story where he is not just another liaison in which the gods carry out their judgment, but the bane of all who claim power so brashly. Dropping the hammer on them for stripping all of its inh abitants and himself of the already little control they have in their world by becoming a god himself. It gives a whole new, refreshing dimension to the mythos; accurately representing the cruel, unforgiving world that it is filled with actual conspiring gods, with way too much time on their hands .
        Unlike other related series like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, what is inherent with the God of War series is that a lot of the exposition for all of those involved has already been done, it's only a matter of piecing it all together. The thing most memorable to me in the series has been the very cinematic, and extremely brutal deaths, the denouement of a series of encounters and challenges, being a reward in themselves. I can only hope that the absurdity and brutality of the deaths-which I'm sure will be bountiful- hold some semblance to the myths. For instance, Athena was born from Zeus' head, either from the forehead or his cleaved stump of a head. So, perhaps we will see her in the series' final chapter. The continued bastardization of these figures remains the only way of preserving them. So, if Kratos strangles the Minotaur with the ball of string or has to clean the Augean stables through an act most uncharacteristic of the franchise, I'd find it hard not to applaud them for their reverence for the more seemingly mundane myths of the ancient times.
    MeatXbeatsXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MeatXbeatsXman

The God of War series has always had the uncanny ability to keep me captivated in its universe. I credit this mostly towards the flexibility the subject matter has. The violence is over the top, the story is dramatic, and there are enough bare-breasted vixen to open the most epic of burlesque houses. Yet, something I think people forget is that these are accurate descriptions of the gods of the time. The embracing of the human form in its most natural and sometimes carnal form are made center stage. The customs and common practices of the people made up the stories and idiosyncrasies of their gods, with focus es on  heroism, reverence for your bounties and life, grandeur, and sexuality. There's very little room for further bastardization, but plenty for development. Hell, there are like 2 dozen tales of Zeus raping people, and in one case he turned into a swan and had sex with a beautiful woman for the sole purpose of making a beautiful baby daughter, and then to possibly have sex with said beautiful daughter in the -possibly near or distant- future.  I'm not sure of the exact accuracy of the latter claim, but I doubt anyone nowadays is going to take the time to bitch me out about it. Times have changed, the religious of our day are too busy staring into their grilled cheese sandwiches looking for miracles to realize that this shit works i n cycles.
        Anywa ys , I think if anything I think it's great to keep these characters alive. I mean seriously, think about how much of a badass

Kratos is, compared to the other heroes who in some cases he has brutally murdered. His is a story where he is not just another liaison in which the gods carry out their judgment, but the bane of all who claim power so brashly. Dropping the hammer on them for stripping all of its inh abitants and himself of the already little control they have in their world by becoming a god himself. It gives a whole new, refreshing dimension to the mythos; accurately representing the cruel, unforgiving world that it is filled with actual conspiring gods, with way too much time on their hands .
        Unlike other related series like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, what is inherent with the God of War series is that a lot of the exposition for all of those involved has already been done, it's only a matter of piecing it all together. The thing most memorable to me in the series has been the very cinematic, and extremely brutal deaths, the denouement of a series of encounters and challenges, being a reward in themselves. I can only hope that the absurdity and brutality of the deaths-which I'm sure will be bountiful- hold some semblance to the myths. For instance, Athena was born from Zeus' head, either from the forehead or his cleaved stump of a head. So, perhaps we will see her in the series' final chapter. The continued bastardization of these figures remains the only way of preserving them. So, if Kratos strangles the Minotaur with the ball of string or has to clean the Augean stables through an act most uncharacteristic of the franchise, I'd find it hard not to applaud them for their reverence for the more seemingly mundane myths of the ancient times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.