Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

Heads up for PC LCD users

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By skunk

There's a "Screen Size" adjuster!! More games need to have this simple feature. If you're playing through HDMI on your 16:10 LCD, you can now shrink the image so you can see the full screen without losing the sides! whoooo!

Also, this game is straight up tits mcgee.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

i don't understand how this isn't a standard feature in every game. +1 to GoW3

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

I noticed that, it's a cool feature. I'm playing on a 1080p LCD and it self-adjusted perfectly, no tweaking necessary.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

good to know, even the ps2 games were ahead of their time supporting widescreen and progressive scan.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

Does it actually shrink it or does it add black bars?

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By skunk
    @Jimbo: There's a slider that shrinks it which inevitably leaves small black bars at the top/bottom.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Bionicicide
    @skunk said:

" @Jimbo: There's a slider that shrinks it which inevitably leaves small black bars at the top/bottom. "

So it's running in 16:9 (like all current games do), not 16:10. Not really news worthy.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jimbo
    @skunk said:
    " @Jimbo: There's a slider that shrinks it which inevitably leaves small black bars at the top/bottom. "
    Excellent.  Black bars > stretching.  If PS3 offered this as standard - like 360 does already - I'd buy way more PS3 games.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimbo
    @Bionicicide said:
    " @skunk said:

So it's running in 16:9 (like all current games do), not 16:10. Not really news worthy. "
    It is, because this way you can put it through a(ny) 16:10 screen without it stretching the image to fit the screen (which looks terrible).
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bionicicide
    @Jimbo said:
    " @Bionicicide said:
    " @skunk said:

So it's running in 16:9 (like all current games do), not 16:10. Not really news worthy. "
    It is, because this way you can put it through a(ny) 16:10 screen without it stretching the image to fit the screen (which looks terrible). "
    That's what you get for buying into the "latest aspect ratio hype".
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By skunk
    @Bionicicide said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " @Bionicicide said:
    " @skunk said:

It is, because this way you can put it through a(ny) 16:10 screen without it stretching the image to fit the screen (which looks terrible). "
    That's what you get for buying into the "latest aspect ratio hype". "
    oh, i'm sorry, I didn't know a bigger PC monitor was hype. I guess I'll take it back for the smaller one...
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Vonocourt
    @Bionicicide said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " @Bionicicide said:
    " @skunk said:

Most widescreen monitor are 16:10.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Marz said:
    " good to know, even the ps2 games were ahead of their time supporting widescreen and progressive scan. "
    DC games had support for VGA, Widescreen (StarLancer) and progressive scan way before the PS2 was even released.  Even the Saturn had Widescreen support in some games and that was in the original Playstation era.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @MB said:
    " I noticed that, it's a cool feature. I'm playing on a 1080p LCD and it self-adjusted perfectly, no tweaking necessary. "
    yeah mine has a just scan feature so it scans the native resolution regardless. 1080p content shrinks just a little showing about 2% more info on the sides then if i have it set to 16:9.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bionicicide
    @skunk said:

" @Bionicicide said:

" @Jimbo said:

" @Bionicicide said:
    " @skunk said:

oh, i'm sorry, I didn't know a bigger PC monitor was hype. I guess I'll take it back for the smaller one... "
     Congrats. 16:9 has 1280x786 pixels and 16:10 has 1280x800 pixels.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Bionicicide said:
    " @skunk said:

" @Bionicicide said:

" @Jimbo said:

" @Bionicicide said:
    " @skunk said:

oh, i'm sorry, I didn't know a bigger PC monitor was hype. I guess I'll take it back for the smaller one... "
     Congrats. 16:9 has 1280x786 pixels and 16:10 has 1280x800 pixels. "
    1920x1200 vs. 1920x1080.
    Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jrad

PS3 should really have at least a 1680x1050 resolution setting. It's great that GoWIII does this, but it should be standard. I hate missing the edges of the screen. I guess I'm one of those people who would get angry if someone would zoom in if they were watching a widescreen DVD on a 4:3 TV, though.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By mosdl
    @Jrad: its probably more a game engine thing than a ps3 thing - the game has to render its frames in the correct resolution/aspect ratio.

I think Uncharted 2 had this as well
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By skunk
    @Bionicicide said:

" @skunk said:

" @Bionicicide said:

" @Jimbo said:

" @Bionicicide said:

" @skunk said:

Thanks, I've been dying to get your approval. Now I can move on with my life and not have to worry that some random dude cared soo much about my screen size.

as previously posted: it's 1920x1200 vs. 1920x1080

edit: oh and feel free to keep shitting on my thread and not add anything constructive.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bionicicide
    @ajamafalous: 
    Same difference.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Bionicicide: Then why are they both manufactured, and why do most PC games support both resolutions?

The difference is noticeable.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bionicicide
    @ajamafalous: 
    I think TV manufacturers signed an agreement to compensate the 4:3 generation TVs to make 16:9 and not 16:10.

Hey, if we're moving to 16:10 generation, more power to being proactive, but I have a feeling we're going to find a new aspect ratio before we find a standard one. God how I wish corporations would  agree to 1 and be done with it.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RsistncE

My monitor already does this automatically (just scan mode I believe).

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Bionicicide said:
    " @ajamafalous: 
    I think TV manufacturers signed an agreement to compensate the 4:3 generation TVs to make 16:9 and not 16:10.

Hey, if we're moving to 16:10 generation, more power to being proactive, but I have a feeling we're going to find a new aspect ratio before we find a standard one. God how I wish corporations would  agree to 1 and be done with it.
    "
    There is no 16:10 generation.  16:10 resolutions just happen to be around in LCD monitors because it is sometimes more efficient to cut LCD panels in 1200 line or 1050 line breakups.  LCD panels are mass manufactured in broadsheets and then cut to size.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo
    @Bionicicide said:
    " @skunk said:

" @Bionicicide said:

" @Jimbo said:

" @Bionicicide said:
    " @skunk said:

I think you talked yourself into a hole without having a clue what you were talking about.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bionicicide
    @Jimbo: 
    I'll survive, thanks though.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Binman88

This doesn't fix stretching, you can resize the image but it doesn't change the aspect ratio. So if you're playing on a 16:10 monitor that doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping, and your 16:9 games usually stretch vertically, this doesn't fix that, you just end up with a smaller rectangle on your screen, with black bars at the top, bottom, and sides.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo
    @Binman88 said:
    " This doesn't fix stretching, you can resize the image but it doesn't change the aspect ratio. So if you're playing on a 16:10 monitor that doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping, and your 16:9 games usually stretch vertically, this doesn't fix that, you just end up with a smaller rectangle on your screen, with black bars at the top, bottom, and sides. "
    The output remains 16:9 including the bars?  That sounds.... completely useless.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Binman88
    @Jimbo: If I switch on AV mode in my monitor settings, then it overscans the image, filling the screen and cutting off the sides, allowing the in game setting to work as intended. The downside is that AV mode looks plain awful. If I switch the monitor back to display in HD, I lose the overscanning option, and the monitor behaves as normal, stretching the picture by 120 pixels vertically, but losing no part of the image. Then, like I said, the in game setting only resizes this stretched image, and is of no use to me at all. 

Perhaps my monitor is the exception though, and other people's monitors behave differently, even in HD mode.
    megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By megasoum

I have a Dell monitor that does it for me... I play the game in 720 with a HDMI->DVI Plug and I set my monitor to the 1:1 setting. It adds two small black bars at the top and bottom.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Binman88
    @Megasoum:  Ah, fair enough. Should be fine for most people then. My monitor doesn't have 1:1 mapping for HDMI, as they decided to include that in a a more expensive TV model of the monitor I bought.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gike987

Most monitor let you add black bars so why do we need this.

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By skunk
    @gike987 said:
    " Most monitor let you add black bars so why do we need this. There is an option in the settings on both Nvidia and ATI cards to keep the aspect ratio. "
    Nvidia and ATI? This thread is about GoW3 running HDMI on a 16:10 monitor.

Most monitors let you add black bars sure, but this is really nice for overscan people like me that lose the sides running PS3 HDMI.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gike987
    @skunk said:
    " @gike987 said:
    " Most monitor let you add black bars so why do we need this. There is an option in the settings on both Nvidia and ATI cards to keep the aspect ratio. "
    Nvidia and ATI? This thread is about GoW3 running HDMI on a 16:10 monitor.  Most monitors let you add black bars sure, but this is really nice for overscan people like me that lose the sides running PS3 HDMI. "
    I know I didn't think before I posted that. Guess I shouldn't post when I'm are tired.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.