Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

I Figured out what was wrong with GOW III (Blog Post & Spoilers)

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Gabriel
      After I finished GOW III I knew it was lacking something, the story didn't resonate with me like the other two. I just couldn't put my finger on what, now that I've had some time to think I have a few points to make on how this is probably the weakest one in the franchise.    

1. The Concept 

The first GOW had the best story for a hack and slash game, it was an epic tale of revenge and betrayal among the background of a Dark Greek Mythology, David Jaffe set Kratos off as a brutal character but he had depth which was discovered as the story progressed. GOW II story was not as good as the first, but it was still serviceable and enjoyable though a bit convoluted. By GOW III however the story had regressed into a straight up single minded revenge quest which really has no depth or substance. The funny thing is this could have worked fine but Sony Santa Monica fucked up one big detail that has made the GOW series great which brings me to my next point... 

2.The Narrator or Lack Thereof 

By far the coolest thing about GOW story was the narrator Linda Hunt, she has the most unique and refreshingly different voice in gaming her narration of GOW gave Kratos as a character far more depth and something to draw the audience in, while I liked what happened with the revelation of her being Gaia in GOW II, it made the story suffer by lacking a narrator to describe Kratos motivations and character.  

Well Sony Santa Monica Fucked that one up big time, the voice actress isn't even in GOW III. 

And you can tell, Gaia is now voiced by Susanne Blakeslee (who sounds mysteriously like the oracle from Athens From the original GOW)
      while Linda Hunt does show up as the Narrator in the opening segment (which is one of the coolest parts of the game) she does not return at all. Speaking of Gaia I also thought they handled her very poorly she is in the game for the opening, Kratos betrays her for some reason (I think he is a schizophrenic) cuts off her hand then kills her at the end. The buildup with the character over the course of the games seems squandered and wasted. 

3. Daedalus is a poor man's Architect of the temple from GOW I 

This one is pretty self explanatory I felt Daedalus was a copy/paste from the architect from the original GOW, if they were insistent on doing the whole labyrinth thing at least they could have somehow reused the architect to make it feel a little cooler. 

4. The Ending is a big Copout 

Besides the fact I felt it was weak to bring back Athena, the whole ending feels unsatisfying. Sure Kratos kills himself so he can Cock-Block Athena from getting her powers back but ''he disappears.'' This felt like it has even less closure than the end of MGS4, sure Snake lives but he has like 3 months to live, they left it too open ended. I wanted closure to have the ending be cool and not another cliff hanger, if they were going to do that they should not have labeled this a trilogy (Yes I know about the DLC that supposedlly coming, I still would have liked them to close out the series in a meaningful way thought.

Closing thoughts  

Regardless of what I said the gameplay is the best the series has had to date, the weapons are great, and it is arguably the best looking game on consoles  (Kratos's modeling looks insane.) However I really liked the stories of GOW I and II, and I was hoping for something a little more to close out the series.  I bought a PS3 for this and MGS4, I was expecting this to be my favorite game for the system but it has become my third favorite (lagging behind Uncharted 2 and MGS4).

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By ptys

I've got to admit game looks amazing, but Kratos is just a prick!.. to put it mildly.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By sjschmidt93

Agreed with the actresses. Athena's new VO was terrible. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ryanwho

I play action games for the story.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Red12b

The thing that fucked the game up for me was when they put the rhythm bit with the corresponding buttons playing GOW's theme. 

No, just no.
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @dudeglove:  I disagree, when you think about it whirling around two swords on massive chains is actually pretty badass. Also the Cestus has your brute force option covered. What this game could have done with though is a big hammer and spear instead of another two chain weapons which I never used.
    roddy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By roddy72

I somewhat agree with you, throughout my experience with the game I couldn't help but feel it was lacking something. I too believe it had something to do with the story, which is a disappointment since I really dug the whole God of War mythology. Amazing production values however and the opening credits/introduction was awesome:)   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.