Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War

Franchise »

The God of War franchise is a series of action-adventure games available on Sony PlayStation consoles. It chronicles the exploits of the anti-hero Kratos and his quest for revenge on the Greek Gods for the death of his family.

God of War 4 Leak - Norse setting - Thoughts?

• 117 results
    ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'M SO ANGRY!!!!!!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@monkeyking1969 said:

Why not Middle Eastern or Eastern European myths? What about New World mythology from Aztec, Olmec, or Inca?

Because it would likely be handled with the sensitivity of a sledgehammer applied to a landmine.

Ha! You are probably right, sir! And, I agree when they do tackle such mythology and cultures I woudl like for it to be done well. A game about the Inca woudl be AMAZING, if done correctly.

hankrazorbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is terrible.

But Kratos has a beard now. A motherfuckin' beard.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By BelowStupid

I don't like the visual design for this Kratos, but I love Kratos as a character. I don't need all characters to be multi-layered, intricate jackasses. I love Kratos because you know what he is? Pissed. I didn't need a reason to kill countless people in Doom, Ninja Gaiden, Megan Man, or countless other games. All I need to know is he's pissed, fuck these guys, go get them, have fun!

So a Bearded pissed dude fucking up Odin and everyone else on the rainbow bridge is fine by me!

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As long as they call it God of Thor.

Yes. Absolutely yes.

I'm ready for more character action games.

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm why not, I guess its been a while?

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

if kratos is gone and the replacement protagonist isnt another angry dude i might check it out

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A character action game based around Norse mythology: Cool!

Said game starring Kratos: Eat Shit.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@redhotchilimist: They run the well dry by the point they reached 3.

In Ascension they included things like Were-elephants and other creatures that make no sense in Greek mythology.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61  Edited By Deranged

If this was without Kratos, I would've bought a PS4 solely for this game.

But no thank you, Kratos' story ended. This makes no sense.

Noelle808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be 800x more excited if you played as a valkyrie or einherjar.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Norse setting is probably the least interesting one they could have chosen imo. Maybe i'm just tired of it after games like Skyrim, Lords of Fallen, and movies like Thor have used that type of setting before.

Besides we already have Too Human! Why play anything else.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Didn't Kratos fucking die in God of War 3. Like I remember him dying.

Or maybe I just wanted him to die because HE'S THE LITERAL WORST

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Anyone have any predictions for what number in the series is going to feature Kratos v Satan?

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised at how many people want this idea but without Kratos, and taking itself seriously. You guys are boring, Kratos being in this is the whole joke!

...This is a joke, right?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Didn't Kratos fucking die in God of War 3. Like I remember him dying.

Or maybe I just wanted him to die because HE'S THE LITERAL WORST

Kratos returns, and he's ANGIER THAN EVER!

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they play it like a comedy where Kratos plays the straight man I can see this working. If they try to play it straight I can't imagine something that isn't just completely dry and soulless.

In the art Kratos does look a good bit different. Maybe the idea is every mythology has a Kratos.

I'll probably play whatever this is either way though just because I love me some character action. Kratos may have became even more of a shitty character in those later games but I still had a great deal of fun playing them.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By Marz

if it was different protagonist, then i'd say it's a great idea.... but if it's still Kratos... then no thanks.

Feel like the perfect setting would be Ragnarok and you take control of Vidar(lesser known god who was a son of Odin but he killed Fenrir in the Ragnarok to get revenge) they could change a few details so that he goes and kills all of Loki's minions.. Thor would be to easy to pick as a protaganist and it's better if he's killed off by Jormungandr right off the bat anyways.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ATHENA! Show me your titties! Show them to me NOW!!!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

You know what the next GoW game should be? Make it one of those Gone Home/Ethan Carter walking simulators that people love.

Just imagine this, the whole game is about Kratos doing talk therapy sessions, done as dream sequences where he walks around in rooms of his mind. There are QTEs, pick dialogue choices, and rifling through desk draws all that act as the 'symbolic play' of Kratos going through his therapy.

No Caption Provided

Why would I want that?!

Because I would enjoy that sort of game, I honestly love those sort of 'thinky' games. However, mostly because it would give some people a frickin' brain aneurysm. They would become so angry they would throw a clot, so they fall ass over tea-kettle. For some people, a terrible hack & slash game that has been done for years would be better than a fantastic thoughtful game about a guy dealing with anger issues.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They;'re franchises that are a hell of a lot longer in the tooth than God of War.

Whatever....have to wait to see actual gameplay. I'm not really interested, but hardly shocked or surprised Sony is trying to squeeze a bit more out of the property, even if thats hardly pennies at this point.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By pyrodactyl

Booooooooo. Make more Horizon Zero Dawns, less old tired franchise sequels. This is basically why Microsoft's whole lineup has seemed so uninteresting to me. Halos, Gears of Wars, Crackdowns, who cares.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, why not? I like the GoW games, and this seems like the natural next step. Though I thought the idea of the modern GoW game sounded far more interesting.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I'd really much rather Sony commission like 10 downloadable titles than dump a bunch of dollars on another God of War game. I'm barely interested in Uncharted 4 and that's Naughty Dog!!

I've always thought Sony Santa Monica was capable of doing great work yet they're stuck doing this. Sad, sad, sad. I guess we'll have to see....

Party

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Party

@monkeyking1969: Wait. Your idea is too good. What if we had both games? You play Kratos' crazy dream sequences where he is a god-killer taking out his anger on everything in sight. QTE's galore. And then you wake up and go to your therapist to deal with your latent anger issues. Collectibles and stuff you do in the dream sequences affects the dialogue options you have during the therapist sessions and the choices you make during the therapy sessions affects the gameplay during the dream sequences.

LET'S GO KRATOS.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to be so fucking good! I cannot wait!

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ozzdog12

@jesus_phish said:

A norse setting with a norse character Would be good.

A norse setting with Kratos sounds sort of lame.

EDIT: I bet bearded Kratos is just a place holder

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#80  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    @liquiddragon said:

I've always thought Sony Santa Monica was capable of doing great work yet they're stuck doing this. Sad, sad, sad. I guess we'll have to see....

Yeah that's exactly how I feel (about Uncharted as well). I mean the games look great and there was crazy stuff going on in God of War III, for example. I and II were achievements on the PS2. Would love to see them make anything else.

Sony is really annoying with that first party now.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

I'm wondering if this is going to be the exact same Kratos as in past games or if it is one of those things where a Norse warrior is born with the soul of Kratos and it is something of a retelling of the original trilogy with some sort of nod to there being a cycle of rage or something and that even in death Kratos will be reborn to kill other Gods in other worlds.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm down for a God of War in Norse mythology but I'm less interested in Norse Kratos (but then even if it weren't Kratos it'd probably be the same character with a slightly different look and name anyway).

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Spoonman671

Kratos makes perfect sense as a tragic hero of Classical Greece, but he doesn't belong in the eddas and sagas of the Norse. I'll definitely play another God of War game, though.

EDIT: Wait a minute, that's not Kratos. Why are we all talking about Kratos?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Why the fuck is it Kratos

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Ericjasonwade

If they really find some way to just have Kratos bust his way into other mythologies I don't think this is completely out of the question.

Loading Video...
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I didn't like God of War 1. Or 2.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disappointing that they couldn't just take an original character/character from Norse mythology and just have them try to kill all the Norse gods. Having it be Kratos again is just completely stupid, because there is nothing that appealing about Kratos as a character, especially since he is so far removed from any personal vendetta at this point.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@excast said:

The God of War games are fine, but I just don't see a lot of demand for killing off yet more gods with quick time events. It's been done...how many times now? 5 or 6 including the mobile games and weird prequels? Try something fresh Sony.

Listen, if this game has something that is one quarter as satisfying as killing Herc in God of War 3, I'm a billion percent on board. It wasn't a very good story but holy shit what a fantastic power fantasy that game was, in a way that not a lot of games touch on.

That being said, I only played the mainline series and that PSP one when it first came out.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Not really a God of War person but transitioning into Norse Mythology seems like a really smart move for the franchise. If they make it stand on its own they may even be able to bring in some new players.

Wouldn't be hard either, the only throughline could be the premise: angry dude kills everyone in mythology.

Kratos = Krathor/norse sounding Kra name???

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since I'm excited and many are not:

What caused the hate? The first 3 console games were very good to great, the PSP games were ok to excellent, and people were super hyped for 3 at the time.

Did all the goodwill just die because Ascension? Sure, it was unnecessary storywise, but it was still a well-made game with some cool setpieces.

Same with Gears of War. Did Judgement just ruin everyone's enthusiasm?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By NTM

I don't know. That fact he wants to kill the other gods is a bit goofy if that's the case. Not sure if this is even real yet though. I love the first and second God of War, but I could never get into three. I really disliked how over the top Kratos became in his revenge. Yes, he was always kind of an ass, but I thought he had some sympathy in the first, and in two, he was still okay in that regard. In three, he was unlikable for me, and overall I just didn't find it as enjoyable. It is really forgettable to me as well; not the things that happen, but in what order they go in. I liked Chains of Olympus as well. I still want to play Ghost of Sparta and Ascension. I want to get Ascension along with the PSP HD collection on PS3, but I hadn't done so. I am also not going to get Ascension alone, or haven't felt like doing that, though I probably should...

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Ericjasonwade

@csl316: I think a lot of it has to do with Kratos as a character. I personally think he's an awesome character, not a lot of depth, but badass for sure. For me I play games so I can live out someone else's story and not necessarily someone I have to relate to. Being in the shoes of this obviously flawed human while he takes you along this path of destruction is just interesting to me. I wish people saw it more like that but a lot of people just pass it off as stupid teenage power fantasy crap but if you think about it a little more it's just like a movie where you're not being shown the hero but the monster.

Also the spectacle of the set-pieces in my opinion is unparalleled.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I liked 3, but thought Ghost of Sparta was a heck of a lot better. Hopefully it still holds up.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: You thought the PSP game was way better than three? Hm. Yeah. Unfortunately GameStop doesn't sell the HD collection new anymore. I want it new. I should have gotten Ascension when I was just as Target.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If it's really still Kratos, that'd be pretty dumb.

On the other hand, if it's really still Kratos, that'd be pretty dumb.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ugh I really hope it doesn't have Kratos in it. His character just got so annoying, at a certain point he just seemed like a pissed off teenager. I'm a sucker for greek mythology but I don't think I can push through another game with him centered in it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Yeah, I don't know if it was the story or the tone, but Ghost was fantastic. I liked 3, it was technically incredible, and the combat was refined to an impressive degree, but the story itself was fairly straightforward and I suppose there was some disappointment. But it was true to itself with the "there will be only chaos" tagline.

@csl316: I think a lot of it has to do with Kratos as a character. I personally think he's an awesome character, not a lot of depth, but badass for sure. For me I play games so I can live out someone else's story and not necessarily someone I have to relate to. Being in the shoes of this obviously flawed human while he takes you along this path of destruction is just interesting to me. I wish people saw it more like that but a lot of people just pass it off as stupid teenage power fantasy crap but if you think about it a little more it's just like a movie where you're not being shown the hero but the monster.

Also the spectacle of the set-pieces in my opinion is unparalleled.

Yeah, I think Kratos had more depth due to the extensive backstory that was told. It started off as a Jaffe power fantasy and by 3 he was just there to fucking kill everybody, but even towards the end it tried going a little deeper. At the surface level, it doesn't seem like there's much to him but I don't see Kratos as one-dimensional at all. There was actually motivation to his quest, which is more than I can say for a lot of characters.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Yea the whole through-line for all of them is simple and there's not a whole lot of complexity to it but sometimes simple is good. The gods used him over and over to the point where his family died and now he wants his revenge. Just a good ole revenge story is fine with me!

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

I am not in the market for another Kratos game. He's the worst thing about every GOW game.

I'll be passing on this.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Norse mythology and setting is pretty ripe for a GoW game. Ive never been a big fan of them, but I think this is a great direction, and has my interest peaked. I dont know where else you would go from their past games. Other then Egypt, which sounds far less interesting imo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.