Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Car advice

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Pessh

Ok so I'm level 11, nearing on 400,000 credits and havn't bought anything. Got by with my crappy Civic and some crazy Jag I got off of facebook so far. Could use some help, no idea what to buy or even what to look at, in Forza there was ratings for handling, speed, braking etc. Doesn't seem like you get any indication whatsoever bar horsepower and front/rear/whatever drive. For what its worth, im a car noob, never driven a car in my life. Cheers.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Don't buy American, that's the best advice anyone can give. 

Also, the GT-R is a solid all-around car.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SomeJerk

A lot of times it's person to person what suits them best in the different a-spec cups, some can't handle what others can. Best I can do is to ask, What races do you need a better vehicle for?

I started with an MR-S, worked myself up to my irl fave Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo, tuned it up and worked myself up to a fully kitted out Murcielago Super Veloce. I gave up to the insane grind and the sad behaviour of the AI drivers and some of the AI cars being f'd up and ran the lottery to get myself Sauber Mercedes C9 race car and That Effin Chaparal Fan Car. The GTO TT '95 in my hands is enough to beat my opponents unless they are race cars, anything with a sticker means you're in trouble.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By therealnelsk
    @KaosAngel said:

" Don't buy American, that's the best advice anyone can give."

This is just wrong. The Viper ACR is disgusting and so is the Vette ZR1. If you're concentrating on A-spec, you can hit about 6 different races with the Shelby Cobra if you hold out for around 550k...and its a beast. Off the top of my head:
    2 American muscle car races
    2 classic car races
    super car nostalgia 
    first championship race
    If you're gonna blow that much cash, you probably want to get something you can use in a lot of races.

I personally picked up the Ferrari 458 Italia around level 15 for ~280k (I think), dropped another 150k tuning and it carried me all the way through the GT championship (what PD claims is the end of the game, even though there are 18 more races or something like that)
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KaosAngel
    @M3RPHY: Oh wow, one or two good American cars.  They'll break down after 10,000 miles at the most.   

Trust me OP, stick with the Japanese or Germans.  Their cars work.   

EDIT:  I'm like the most blue blooded American on the site, so you know that American cars are shit when I'm not even willing to drive one.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pessh
    @somejerk: Pretty much everything lol. Just been doing special and licenses so far. Only done 5 A-spec races, seems pretty strict with what you can and can't use. Need a japanese from the 90's, a French, a Mazda, an Italian, a muscle/ supercar pre 1980 and a truck just to do the amateur series =/

@KaosAngel said:
    " Don't buy American, that's the best advice anyone can give.  Also, the GT-R is a solid all-around car. "

I only like Italian/German/British anyway.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

Well instead of an FN Cvic that everybody else started with, I started with a MR2 from the late 90's. My next real car that I bought (not won) was Skyline GTR. The old school ones that only had like 300hp but when maxed out its like 700bp. Picked up a mini cooper as well, but surprizingly, even now I don't have any STI or EVos in my garage.  EDIT: I don't even have the new GTR still and I'm just about to hit lvl 20. 

Although I gotta say, for the races that are limited to 70s and 60s, I have a preferance for the American cars since even the Euros and Japanese cars then didn't have as good of suspensions as modern day cars. So i rather take the bigger horsepower with no grip and really watch my driving line and braking zones instead.  But have a any car goes type of deal, yeah America ain't that hot, unless you are running the race car versions of stuff perhaps. 

@KaosAngel:

We're talking about a game man. If GT5 really simed break downs, most Italian cars wouldn't last an entire race, and most Ferraris wouldn't even even be out on the road.  

EDIT:  

The lack of any bars telling you what rating they have for handling speed etc, is the best thing ever. This makes it so that just like real life, you can come up with your own judgement on what cars to drive. This will also eventually put you on different sides of things, like say STi vs EVO. American Power Vs Handling from the rest of the world. Or even my Tuner car Vs your Stock Supercar.  

As advice to the OP, Read some descriptions from the cars themselves. Certain back stories may make you feel an attachment to certain cars, but if you just want to short cut it.  

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @StaticFalconar said:
    "@KaosAngel: ...most Italian cars wouldn't last an entire race, and most Ferraris wouldn't even even be out on the road.  "
    If you play past level 20, you'll notice the fuel gage works realistically and cars need to take pit stops.  It's why all the top events need real super cars that have the build in extended fuel tanks.  Taking an Italian car on the endurance race is an instant loss due to the massive amounts of pits you'll need to take.  :D
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @KaosAngel: I wasn't even talking about that, I was just making a slight at how non-American cars in real life break down as well. But yeah, I actually had to detune some of my cars since the extra HP comes at the cost of using up more fuel. As fast as my laps are, it doesn't do me any good if I have to pit every other lap. 
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pessh
    @StaticFalconar said:  EDIT:   
    The lack of any bars telling you what rating they have for handling speed etc, is the best thing ever. This makes it so that just like real life, you can come up with your own judgement on what cars to drive. This will also eventually put you on different sides of things, like say STi vs EVO. American Power Vs Handling from the rest of the world. Or even my Tuner car Vs your Stock Supercar.  

As advice to the OP, Read some descriptions from the cars themselves. Certain back stories may make you feel an attachment to certain cars, but if you just want to short cut it.  

Thanks dude.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
    @StaticFalconar: ...but we can both agree that American cars suck.  Name one car that's in the same league as the GT-R.  It's like the jack-of-all-trades for cars.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Binman88

I just blew a cool million credits on an Enzo. Don't do that.  

As for what I would recommend - the Gallardo is probably one of the fastest and easiest to handle cars to invest in. Also if you don't mind going old school, you can get around 660bhp out of an '89 Fairlady Z which is beastly for any Japanese or FR events. Should do well for you in the mid-difficulty championships as well.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Fuck, I have to stop visiting GT  threads. I left my PS3 back home and I'm regretting it big time being a fan of GT since the PS1.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @KaosAngel: If you talking about cars that you can get by walking into a dealer, then yes (I rather tune a Japanese street car over an American street car anyday) . But the racecars versions of say the corvette, Viper, Ford GT, Saleen they have top of the line suspensions and stuff as well.  

My age may just be getting to me, but I went nostalgic and tuned up the old Skyline GTR instead of even trying out the new GTR. I just remembered being somewhat disappointed with the new GTR in prolog alhtough the engine could have changed since then.  And right now I'm at the point in the game where I have enough money to buy any kind of supercar I wanted, so I choose the LFA over the GTR. But yeah, GTR for 77k is probably the cheapest supercar you can get, even though in real life people are paying premiums of about 100k to get them (still worth it even at that price).. 
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pessh

Anyone know what car you get for golding all of National B? Silvered a couple =/

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Binman88 said:
    " I just blew a cool million credits on an Enzo. Don't do that.    . "
    Wait why? I'm sitting on 1.5 mil right now and I wanna do the Ferrari event so I thought why not pick something iconic since all Ferrari's made after that point just didn't have the same flair. 
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pessh

Just blew 20,000 on a truck =(

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Binman88
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    " I just blew a cool million credits on an Enzo. Don't do that.    . "
    Wait why? I'm sitting on 1.5 mil right now and I wanna do the Ferrari event so I thought why not pick something iconic since all Ferrari's made after that point just didn't have the same flair.  "
    Well it's fantastic car for sure, but it's a hell of a lot of credits for a car that performs around the same as an Audi R8 5.2, but handles considerably worse (mostly due to the fact that the Audi is a 4WD, and the Enzo is RWD). I dunno, if you have the money to burn, I suppose there's no reason not to go for it. Like you said, it's one of the last iconic Ferraris, and in my opinion one of the only modern ones that comes close to the unique style of the F40 and Testarossa days.

I have to say though, using manual gears, the steering wheel rev meter in the interior view is a lovely addition that allows you to keep your eyes more on the road than down on the dash or bottom right of the hud to get gear switches right on time.
    mjk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By mjk1

What's a good car to use for Gran Turismo All Stars (Expert Series) ?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Binman88: Oh I thought it was because the enzo sucked or something. If its a skill thing to handle RWD over AWD then I got that covered. 1 mil is still a lot, so I think I'll hold off on the purchase for now until I'm going for having my dream car garage. 
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Pessh
    Just blew 20,000 on a truck =(
    Trust me, getting a truck ASAP works
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Binman88
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @Binman88: Oh I thought it was because the enzo sucked or something. If its a skill thing to handle RWD over AWD then I got that covered. 1 mil is still a lot, so I think I'll hold off on the purchase for now until I'm going for having my dream car garage.  "
    It's not actually that bad at all. Just quite twitchy. I think my next dream car purchase is going to be the SLR McLaren!
    Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By Surkov

I waited til lvl 15 then bought a Corvette ZR1 and tuned it up. It has blown by everything. Well at least everything up unitl the extreme league.   

Now I'm stuck at lvl 21. It SUCKS! 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.