Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Haven't played a racing simulation game since GT3. What's new?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By RainVillain

I played and loved the hell out of Gran Turismo 3, but skipped GT4. Almost picked up Forza 3 but decided to wait for GT5 instead. 

Beyond much better graphics, what am I getting into? 
    I've been up to date on some of the bullet points (like 1000 cars, NASCAR and kart racing), but so far been a bit overwhelmed by some of the features they've mentioned. B-Spec? Premium and Standard cars? What's online like? Based on your career-mode cars? 
    So confused..

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel
    • B-Spec is a manager mode.
    • Premium is ultra-high quality.
    • Standard is GT4 cars updated to Forza 3 graphics.
    • Online is supposed to be always on.  You can play GT5 from any web browser as well.
    • It's locked to your GT Mode, so you're always online and crap.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

You should check out the wiki. Pretty much everything you need to know is there. You should also pick up Forza 3 anyway since you can never have too much racing games.

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RainVillain

You can play GT5 from any web browser as well.     
    Wait, what? 

You should check out the wiki 
     Yeah, sorry that should have been my first stop. Will read up on it now! 

You should also pick up Forza 3 anyway since you can never have too much racing games. 
     With both Forza 3 and GT5 out, does Forza bring anything to the table that GT doesn't? Just in terms of features, I don't want to get into debates about graphics and which one "plays better"

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Binman88
    @bigmuffpi: Forza 3 has the ability to create and acquire custom liveries for your cars.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By ch3burashka

GRAFIX

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By thegoldencat7

Shinier.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @bigmuffpi said:
    "  You can play GT5 from any web browser as well.     
    Wait, what?  "

GT Anywhere allows you to sign into PSN from any web browser and manage everything in GT5. 

• Online Buying/Trading
    • Car Customization
    • B-Spec Racing
    • Etc.

The only thing you can't do are special events, licenses, and races that require you to manually drive a car.   It's activated on the 25th, as Japan and Aussie get the game then, so the first day you can't do it.  
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

don't forget rally racing.  but yeah it's just packed full of racing goodness, everything a race fan wants.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @KaosAngel: Do you know if the PS3 has to be turned on in order to manage your GT account? I'm assume you don't have to since it'll be inconvenient.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @eroticfishcake said:

" @KaosAngel: Do you know if the PS3 has to be turned on in order to manage your GT account? I'm assume you don't have to since it'll be inconvenient. "

I've heard you have to keep the PS3 on to do B-Spec races, could be mistaken though. In terms of new content, there's a drift mode in the game.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaneDev

On the subject of whats new does any one know if the AI is proper AI, if you know what I mean, I heard rumors before but I want to be sure and does the game have a rewind feature not super important just wanted to know. 

I already have Forza 3 and want to know if this is worth the purchase now or in the future.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
    @eroticfishcake said:

" @KaosAngel: Do you know if the PS3 has to be turned on in order to manage your GT account? I'm assume you don't have to since it'll be inconvenient. "

I don't know about the race, because it shows the PS3 icon in the samples.  So FrankCanada97 might be right on the B-Spec requiring the PS3 to be on.  But the other stuff should be able to be done straight from the browser, as it was shown at TGS'10. 

EDIT:  To the OP, get hyped from the intro video.  It's a 6 minute knockout punch. 

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @ShaneDev said:

" On the subject of whats new does any one know if the AI is proper AI, if you know what I mean, I heard rumors before but I want to be sure and does the game have a rewind feature not super important just wanted to know.  I already have Forza 3 and want to know if this is worth the purchase now or in the future. "

I don't think there is a rewind feature. As for your AI inquiry, here is a video of B-Spec mode with all AI drivers. Watch it and judge for yourself.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
    @FrankCanada97:  

OBJECTION! 

GT-Planet confirms that the AI is shit up until level 20.  If you're familiar with driving, GT5 will be easy as cake for the first 20 levels.  The damage is cosmetic, and the AI drives in the line.   

HOWEVER! 

Once you hit level 20, you unlock Extreme Class.  It takes full account of damage both external and internal, the AI is very aggressive, and if the car crashes, it's over.  Cars don't respawn after they get wrecked.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @KaosAngel said:

" @FrankCanada97:   OBJECTION!  GT-Planet confirms that the AI is shit up until level 20.  If you're familiar with driving, GT5 will be easy as cake for the first 20 levels.  The damage is cosmetic, and the AI drives in the line.    HOWEVER!  Once you hit level 20, you unlock Extreme Class.  It takes full account of damage both external and internal, the AI is very aggressive, and if the car crashes, it's over.  Cars don't respawn after they get wrecked. "

I know, it's all part of the training your driver from a beginner to pro in B-Spec mode. I thought it would be fair to show a video of what to expect when you play the game at the beginning.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
    @FrankCanada97:  

CORRECTION! 

Did not mean as an attack, perhaps the caps on "OBJECTION" caused you to feel that way.  I am sorry.   Also, I hope to god that reviewers don't bitch about the game being too easy the first 20 levels.
    RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RainVillain

Thanks for the vids. It does, indeed, look awesome!

That said, the more I see of GT5 the more I am reminded about how bad I was at GT3... And how I LOVED Burnout Paradise. I don't know the first thing about cars, so the obvious choice seems like NFS Hot Pursuit. On the flip side, there is no arguing that GT has more depth and longer mileage. I live in Toronto and never learned to drive, relying on our pretty awesome transit system, but maybe I should bite the bullet and make GT5 as my first step towards being a bit more knowledgeable about cars. I'm not telling myself GT would teach me how to drive, simply to make me more aware of how they work.

So torn right now about which one to get tho!!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @bigmuffpi said:
    " Thanks for the vids. It does, indeed, look awesome! That said, the more I see of GT5 the more I am reminded about how bad I was at GT3... And how I LOVED Burnout Paradise. I don't know the first thing about cars, so the obvious choice seems like NFS Hot Pursuit. On the flip side, there is no arguing that GT has more depth and longer mileage. I live in Toronto and never learned to drive, relying on our pretty awesome transit system, but maybe I should bite the bullet and make GT5 as my first step towards being a bit more knowledgeable about cars. I'm not telling myself GT would teach me how to drive, simply to make me more aware of how they work. So torn right now about which one to get tho!! "
    Nice to see another Torontonian on the boards, and one who is pro-transit as well!
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @FrankCanada97:   HOWEVER!  Once you hit level 20, you unlock Extreme Class.  It takes full account of damage both external and internal, the AI is very aggressive, and if the car crashes, it's over.  Cars don't respawn after they get wrecked. "
    Also to add, I presume that this is what damage looks after lvl 20.

No offence take by the way, I see you're assuming a Phoenix Wright persona.
    RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RainVillain

Alright y'all, I'm convinced. Gunna go with GT and leave NFS as a rental or when it's cheaper down the line. Never got all the Burnout Paradise trophies anyways.. Could go back to that if I ever need a Criterion hit. Hey FrankCanada, do you know of any stores in Toronto getting the game today? :D

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I-racing, however you have to pay a monthly fee for it. There is also gtr evolution and stuff. These games are boring imo though.  

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @bigmuffpi: I'm sure the stores have it in stock although, I don't know of any that have broken the street date. Also, those two semi-trailers of Sony goods that were stolen last week in the GTA may have affected supply, but don't hold me to that.

EDIT: If you're still wondering what B-Spec mode is, here is a video of B-Spec mode being played "live" instead of the replay I posted earlier.

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RainVillain
    @FrankCanada97
    Word, B-spec looking nuts. Might be a long while before I really get what's going on there though..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.