Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 10, 2009

This is the first entry in the Gran Turismo racing series to be released on a handheld system.

Gran Turismo PSP to Include Online Play (Article)

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

In what first appears to be a dry interview, closer inspection reveals an interesting tidbit from Yamauchi about the multiplayer functionality in Gran Turismo PSP.  As we already know, up to four players can compete wirelessly via the PSP’s ad-hoc wireless mode.  That’s cool, but there’s more to it than that - GT PSP will be one of the first games outside of Japan to take advantage of the little-known Ad-Hoc Party application.

First released in Japan late last year, Ad-Hoc Party is a free application downloaded to your PlayStation 3.  Once running, your PSP connects wirelessly to your PS3, through which you can play games with your friends over the Internet.  It’s an interesting, decentralized method of bringing online play to PSP titles without requiring game developers to implement the additional functionality or maintain server infrastructure.  The implications of online play for GT PSP are huge, adding lots of depth and fun to a title that some hard-core players had dismissed.

Sony representatives have already confirmed that Ad-Hoc Party is coming to the United States, so keep an eye out for more information about the software in the coming weeks and months.  For now, check out the Japanese video above for a visual explanation of how the Ad-Hoc Party application works.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Faked (Article)? Lol? Why? That format is for GB articles dood, not to pimp your gtplanet thingie...

Anyway, what's with requiring the PS3 for ad-hoc party or whatever? That "don't have to maintain servers" thing is off base considering it's a first party title in this case, and they could offer the same infastructure to third parties without the PS3 requirement anyway. There are finely functioning online PSP titles, I see no reason to stop making fully online enabled titles for it, other than to force people to buy a PS3. It's not happening Sony.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

I think that's awesome, I had no idea about this until now, I just assumed it would be using regular Ad Hoc. This will be much better for both developers and gamers down the line, allowing developers to concentrate on gameplay rather than this time consuming aspect...I guess LittleBigPlanet will be using this too.

GT PSP

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.