Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Could GTAV Be Giant Bombs Most Disappointing Game of 2013?

• 56 results
    RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RonGalaxy

Not taking into account Jeff's opinion/review, almost everyone else seemed extremely disappointed with that game. Alex, Brad, Patrick, Vinny (I think) all came away with a middling response. Honestly, even Jeff didn't sound super enthused when reviewing/talking about it (he sounded more enthused when talking about SR4, and he gave that a lower score).

Which is why I ask, could this possibly be their most disappointing game of 2013 (assuming they have that award this year)? Ass Creed 3 was given a 4/5 and still came away with it. Honestly, I don't think the review score is a major factor anyway. The overall consensus given by the team seemed to be middling, and since it had a huge amount of hype around it, that leads me to believe this is a possibility

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

I assume it will be Sim City.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I dunno. Vinny was mostly not loving it because there was too much to it, and he doesn't have as much time with Max and everything. Patrick is Patrick, he was never going to love it, and Brad has said before that he's never finished a GTA, so I don't think he could honestly say he was disappointed, because he should have gone into it expecting that.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

you kidding right?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hunkulese

Sounded like it met all of their expectations so how exactly would it be most disappointing game?

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not outside the realm of All Possible Worlds, but I'm gonna throw my money with the other guy and say it's probably gonna be SimCity.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cloudymusic

As long as Sim City exists, there is almost no way that GTA5 could take the Most Disappointing title away from it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RonGalaxy

Hmm, that was definitely a huge upset on their part. Think you might be right

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I think it pretty much exactly lined up with everybody's expectations. Patrick, Alex and Brad never liked GTA so I can't see why they would find this one disapointing.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee
    @pyrodactyl said:

No, I think it pretty much exactly lined up with everybody's expectations. Patrick, Alex and Brad never liked GTA so I can't see why they would find this one disapointing.

Alex liked GTA. He's said he enjoyed 'em all besides the portable ones, though I don't know how he feels about GTA V specifically as I don't watch the morning podcast very regularly. But I can definitely recall him saying he's liked previous GTA games.

Anywhoo, Sim City is a shoo-in for the award, but I do wonder if GTA V will at least be nominated.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RonGalaxy

All I can say at this point is that I have a feeling GTAV will cause some contention when they are deliberating stuff.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pyrodactyl

@yummylee said:
    @pyrodactyl said:

Alex liked GTA. He's said he enjoyed 'em all besides the portable ones, though I don't know how he feels about GTA V specifically as I don't watch the morning podcast very regularly. But I can definitely recall him saying he's liked previous GTA games.

Anywhoo, Sim City is a shoo-in for the award, but I do wonder if GTA V will at least be nominated.

I could swear I remember him saying ''I'm not much of a GTA guy'' or something like that on the morning show

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff loves it so no it wont win most disappointing

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't think GTA V will make it very far in GoTY deliberations, but you're crazy if you think it will fit in "most disappointing" category.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @pyrodactyl said:

I could swear I remember him saying ''I'm not much of a GTA guy'' or something like that on the morning show

Hmm, well I dunno then. Maybe it's both, in that he has certainly enjoyed GTA to an extent, but overall doesn't consider himself especially invested in the series.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WIthout GTA Online's disastrous launch we would not have all these winds to be jamming. Think about that.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

In a year with Aliens Colonial Marines and Sim City, I don't think GTA V has much to worry about for this award.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a year with Aliens Colonial Marines and Sim City, I don't think GTA V has much to worry about for this award.

Aliens Colonial Marines is certainly up there for worst game of the year, but most disappointing? Where people excited for that? I'm legitimately asking here as I didn't follow that game very closely. I know that it got peopled excited a couple of years before, but as we were getting closer to release, was there a lot of hype surrounding it?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe GTA:O. That thing is a piece now that they've ruined the economy.

Simcity wins though. it wins at losing.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@yummylee: I didn't pay attention to it much either since I've never seen any of the movies and think Gearbox make bad games. I think that the reason people talk about that game being so terrible is because what they showed at preview events was good but none of that content made it into the final game. Instead they got a broken mess. What people were expecting and what they got were very different.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me wonder... what games does Patrick actually like? lol

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, while it's true that a lot of them didn't exactly go in with the highest of expectations for GTA V, Dragon Age II still managed to take the dubious honour in 2011 despite Vinny being the only one who had played DAII. In fact I'm pretty sure he was the only one, besides Dave, who had played Dragon Age: Origins at that. So, y'know... the reasoning behind their selections can be sorta odd sometimes. But Jeff did give it 5 stars mind, and he most definitely carries a lot of influence when it comes to group discussions, hence why Syndicate made it into their top ten list for 2012, even though I think he was the only that played it.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Steadying

Alex likes the GTA games, he said it in on a morning show a while ago.

Anyway, I dunno what Giant Bomb's most disappointing game of 2013 is, but GTA V miiiiight be mine. I liked it while playing it, but that ending just left me feeling completely unsatisfied. And in retrospect, the game just wasn't fantastic. GTA Online's mediocrity might be clouding my vision, though. Also, spending time with Max Payne 3 and its vastly superior shooting feel after beating GTA V kinda made me dislike it even more.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By senrat

Not all of the bomb crew loved the game, but all of them appreciated it and felt it was a superbly made game, no way.

yuen_biao_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By yuen_biao_

Bioshock Infinite will be their most praised game. Look at the interview between Jeff and Ken Levine and tell me they didn't long lovingly into each other's eyes. Jeff sees Ken as perfection in male form. They probably would be a good couple in an alternate universe.

But yeah, Patrick and Brad gonna ruin it. They just don't feel as strongly as Jeff about Ken. I think Vinny does. A little.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game that is guaranteed to be on their list of top ten best games of the year is nt going to be the one crowned most disappointing.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Sim City will almost certainly win this award but I can probably guarantee that at least one person will mention GTA V for contention during the deliberations and it could very well be one of the nominees. I think the people acting like this is some kind of crazy question haven't really been paying much attention.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, I completely forgot Sim City came out this year..

Napstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it sounded like all the other guys but Jeff played it because they felt they had to, which is true in a way I gues. The way they talk about traversing the world in GTA V compared to SR3/4 sounds like they are tired of "regular" open world games. I dont think they were dissapointed by it but it did make them realize something they might have known for a while driving from A to B to C is to tedious for them.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jiggajoe14 said:

Hmm, that was definitely a huge upset on their part. Think you might be right

Sim City was this year's biggest disappointment since, I'm sure, a ton of people were looking forward to that game only to be super disappointed with the final product. I honestly can't see any other game edging it out in that category.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By soulcake

I just bought Simcity 2 days ago (origin sale 30 Euro's , still to much for that game IMO) and that game is really boring even with out the bugs after fcking up 2 cities, i think i am done with that game. As for GTA V i think every one including me aspect ed to much off that game. But all by all i had my fun with it, played it for a week never touched it again but its still better then GTA 4.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

Nope.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simcity wins though. it wins at losing.

Fuck them for doing that THE PREVIEWS Damn they looked so awesome it has such a good look why did they ruin it...

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It may be considered, but it won't win. SimCity shits on the competition.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

This makes me wonder... what games does Patrick actually like? lol

Patrick likes way more games than anyone else.

Well I guess Vinny likes everything.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Just no. I get the same vibe from the crew that they weren't blown away by it like I, and many others were, but in no way do I see them calling it disappointing.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA O was kind of a let down, but being let down that a fun game isn't as innovative as it could be doesn't top the fact that EA just turned Sim City into small town simulator. At this point I feel more like I bought Dead Rising 3 and got a free Sim City rather than the other way around.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it possible for Saints Row IV to be nominated as well?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By pr1mus

What are you smoking man? They all said to varying degrees that they enjoyed it.

Not thinking it's the greatest game ever made does not equal being extremely disappointed.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By crithon

I believe you are misinterpreting what Giantbomb crew are saying when they nit pick a game apart.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By Castiel

I don't get what you are saying at all. It's a game they have all played and it's a game they all seem to enjoy, some more than others of course, but especially Jeff thinks it's fucking awesome.

GTA V would be the safe and predictable choice for GOTY, but it's not my personal favorite, but I already know that my GOTY is not going to win. I guess I look for different things in my games than the GB crew when it really comes down to it.

GTA V is technically impressive and really fun but I honestly think TLOU pushes the game industry further than GTA V. GTA V is fun but in the end it really doesn't change the formular that much from previous installments despite of having three main characters, so I find TLOU more interesting and it's just one hell of an achievement.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By InternetDotCom

Has anyone suggested Sim City might win it yet?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gorillamopena said:

Has anyone suggested Sim City might win it yet?

Pretty sure it's a foregone conclusion. I can't think of another title that comes anywhere close to that level of disappointment. Sure you could argue Colonial Marines but that felt fishy from the start. Everyone expected Sim City to be good and, well, yeah.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have spent too long on Giantbomb today.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@castiel said:

I don't get what you are saying at all. It's a game they have all played and it's a game they all seem to enjoy, some more than others of course, but especially Jeff thinks it's fucking awesome.

GTA V would be the safe and predictable choice for GOTY, but it's not my personal favorite, but I already know that my GOTY is not going to win. I guess I look for different things in my games than the GB crew when it really comes down to it.

GTA V is technically impressive and really fun but I honestly think TLOU pushes the game industry further than GTA V. GTA V is fun but in the end it really doesn't change the formular that much from previous installments despite of having three main characters, so I find TLOU more interesting and it's just one hell of an achievement.

everyone except jeff seemed pretty down on that game. Patrick and Alex gave mixed feeling on Bombing in the AM, Vinny barely finished it and even went as far to say that, while playing it, he wished it would end already. Brad hasn't beaten it and wont because he didnt like it.

Still, someone brought up sim city when I first made this thread, and I agree that that will most likely take it.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: Just like GTA 4 and well we both know how that went. This could be said about The last of us. Jeff and Brad do not like it and have not even finished it. Vinny though it was alright and Patrick really liked it. So Goty will be Bioshock. Everyone loved it.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I think you're hearing things. They all seemed fairly positive about the game. Maybe they weren't jumping out of their chairs, but I would hardly call it a "most disappointing game of the year" situation. And as others have stated, Sim City is for sure taking that category (or at least it should).

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Nux

No, Sim City 5 will be.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Nux

@vuud: Windjammers always finds a way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.