Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Tip for Free Aim dudes.

gatob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Long time podcast listener & site lurker. I heard Jeff talk about how he felt free aim doesn't work all too well with the game. Though I played through the story on free aim, I do kind of agree.

But I discovered that if you hold the Right Trigger half way it brings up the cross hair & your characters goes into a kind of combat stance. It's like an alternative aiming but without going in over the shoulder like the Left Trigger does & it also makes the player move quickly. It can make it much easier to track targets & shoot whilst moving.

Maybe I am crazy & I missed some big tutorial, but I had no clue of this function!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@gatob: GTA V having really poor and uninformative tutorials is definitely it's biggest issue.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@gatob: GTA V having really poor and uninformative tutorials is definitely it's biggest issue.

I'd rather have that then the 6 hours of tutorial alot of games are doing lately.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's no help to us PS3 players that opt to use R1 for shooting as opposed to the awful triggers. Luckily I don't find the aim to be much of a issue. It's all about tuning the aim sensitivity to fit preference.

gatob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Yea. I find that has always been an issue with GTA. The classic small black box in the top left hand corner that tells the player how to do things while their supposed to be doing them. RDR had that too.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't really have an issue with it and thinks it works great. The only knock would be the normal cross hair can be lost in the chaos of white and bright lights.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@gatob: I think I had less problems with RDR because it was a much slower paced game. I'm not a fan of lengthy tutorials but you really need to either have a pause screen with a prompt to continue or something so the player has a chance to calmly read and ingest the information you're throwing at them.

@humanity said:

I'd rather have that then the 6 hours of tutorial alot of games are doing lately.

Oh definitely but GTA V takes it to the other end of the spectrum where you're riding 100 mph through the city trying to avoid cops, getting shot, while these small boxes pop up telling you how to invest in real estate. This is most egregious in Online where they basically tell you next to nothing.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really have an issue with it and thinks it works great. The only knock would be the normal cross hair can be lost in the chaos of white and bright lights.

Go into options and switch targeting mode or whatever to "complex"

gatob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: I haven't actually haven't touched the sensitivity. Probably should turn that up.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

@humanity said:

@gatob: I think I had less problems with RDR because it was a much slower paced game. I'm not a fan of lengthy tutorials but you really need to either have a pause screen with a prompt to continue or something so the player has a chance to calmly read and ingest the information you're throwing at them.

@clonedzero said:

@humanity said:

Oh definitely but GTA V takes it to the other end of the spectrum where you're riding 100 mph through the city trying to avoid cops, getting shot, while these small boxes pop up telling you how to invest in real estate. This is most egregious in Online where they basically tell you next to nothing.

^^TRUTH! i've missed so many tutorial items because it picked the absolute worst time to pop them up. how about just a box that pops up on foot when you're actually going to investigate something and get within a certain distance of it.

gatob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, I might be a bit slow on this but I just realized that this functionality allows you to aim the sniper rifle without looking down the scope. Kind of ridiculous, but kind of cool at the same time.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@gatob: I think it's also something that's in Max Payne 3 as well but I don't remember it all too well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.