Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Underground hip hop duo making the original score

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Meltac

Okay, so we already knew that GTA V would feature an original score, unlike every other Grand Theft Auto game. Now it has been "confirmed" that, the hip hop duo Gangrene will be making said score. If the tweet, from the one half of the duo The Alchemist, is to be believed, him and the other part of the duo Oh No (Producer Madlib's younger brother), will be making the score.

Personally, I think this is exciting news, since they're both producers first and rappers second, and they both have a very distinctive sound, which goes together very well (as Gangrene). They have this sort of gritty, psychedelic, out of your mind sound, which I certainly believe would fit in the world Grand Theft Auto. I am already a big fan of the two, so I hope that this is true, and he is not just fucking with people.

So what do you think of this? How many are already familiar with the dudes, and what do you think of them? To those who doesn't know them, this is the title track from their second album, and a favorite of mine:

EDIT: Okay, so the tweet has been deleted now, but you can still see it on their official Facebook-page.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

That's pretty fucking awesome... If true.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By rentfn

I've never been a huge fan of the GTA soundtracks. I didn't enjoy four so I'm not sure I'll be picking this one up. This doesn't really add anything to the plus column.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Meltac

Just found out that Gangrene (The Alchemist & Oh No) had their own radiostationin GTA: Chinatown Wars, so this does seem more plausible now, which is awesome!

asger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By asger

So, how will radiostations work?

I really hope I will be able to change the station to a rock or r'n'b/house channel.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By FilipHolm

Awesome!

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By triviaman09

@Asger said:

I really hope I will be able to change the station to a rock or r'n'b/house channel.

I don't think this means no radio stations, I think this means Gangrene's music will feature at other parts in the game.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

So good, one of the things I always love in GTA games is when I play it for the first couple of hours and keep getting suprised my the awesome songs on the radio, like when The Who came on in GTA IV.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By gaminghooligan

If this is true.... omg... I'm a huge Madlib fan, had no idea Oh No was his little brother but I've been listening to No Idols a lot recently.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Subjugation

If this is true it sounds like a pretty good fit for the game in my opinion. I loved the old school rap of San Andreas and this has just enough in common to make me interested.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OfficeGamer

I've listened to some crazy noisy shit in my time and enjoyed it immensely, going from the wretchedly disgusting depths of Metal music through terrible Country music and to very underground Hip Hop music. I'm very noise-proof, as long as it sounds good.

Yet, to my surprise, I found that song very annoying in a "messy noise" way. I hope it will grow on me because for the time being I think it will annoy me in the game.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By MildMolasses

Alchemist has come a long way from rapping with Scott Caan

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gargantuan

Well, that was horrible.

<--- Not a Rap/Hip Hop fan

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rentfn said:

I've never been a huge fan of the GTA soundtracks. I didn't enjoy four so I'm not sure I'll be picking this one up. This doesn't really add anything to the plus column.

That's a little sad as GTA has consistently featured some pretty iconic music, spanning genres and generations, saying you don't like GTA soundtracks is like saying you don't like music... 
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Bollard

Wow, they successfully removed the best thing about GTA.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By bacongames

Sure I can get down with some Gangrene. Haven't really followed Oh No down his career path since Dr. No's Oxperiment focusing most of my attention toward Madlib but they're still a great choice. I can only imagine now the distorted psychedelic guitar samples. As rappers I can take 'em or leave 'em but hey, at least I can feel good about them rapping and also it's not Guilty Simpson.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By RobotHamster

No shit that's awesome! Alchemist is definitely one of my favorite producers can't wait to hear how this comes out. And for everyone else I doubt they're gonna remove radio station's, this is probably for story elements of the game and other parts.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By TheHT

Well that was awesome.

Hopefully their "mission complete" jingle won't suck after hearing it twice.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By grilledcheez

I have faith, and I also spent my day thus far listening to similar stuff, so I'm IN.

darkfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By darkfury

@Chavtheworld said:

I doubt it will mean no radio stations. Rockstar know how big that stuff is (though I think the GTA IV stations were pretty uninspired compared with III, VC and SA).

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss

That's kind of exciting.

Definitely a good fit.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PhilipDuck

Awesome news! This game is guna be sick! Probably going to be better than the console release from Sony and Microsoft haha

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Catarrhal

To those of you who are confused, the terms "soundtrack" and "original score" are not interchangeable. In other words--yes, the game will still have Lazlow Jones.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EuanDewar

The Alchemist is a fucking sick producer, this could be the shit

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rentfn

@Gunslinger0130: I didn't mean it like that. I'm glad that there is a lot of choices to what to listen to in the game, and I always have a couple of go to songs but the music was never anything I looked up in advance or got excited to see what they would add.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Awesome, someone at Rockstar needs to leak some big info so I can obsess over it.

@EuanDewar said:

ITS NOT EVERY DAY YOU SEE A PIECE OF SHIT TAKE A SHIT

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EuanDewar

@PeasantAbuse: FUCK thats delicious

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Bollard

@DarkFury said:

@Chavtheworld said:

I doubt it will mean no radio stations. Rockstar know how big that stuff is (though I think the GTA IV stations were pretty uninspired compared with III, VC and SA).

The radio stations in GTA VC literally made that setting.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By ArtisanBreads

WHAT!?!?!?

This in unreal news. These two are amazing together. Alchemist is a god damn legend. Unbelievably cool news.

This is a great evolution of what they did with Max Payne 3, letting real music artists score their games. Man Rockstar, I love you.

@DarkFury said:

@Chavtheworld said:

There are still radio stations c'mon guys.

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By theslothking

There are radio stations. Kavinsky confirmed he'd be on the Nightride station.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Meltac

Glad to see most of you are just as excited as I am! It'll be interesting to see what they're going to do, because they have a very different, gritty and hardhitting sound to them (especially The Alchemist, ffs how can one be so underrated). Both albums they've made as Gangrene are getting regular spins on my CD-player (especially the second one), and I really do think that their sound fits perfectly in a game like Grand Theft Auto.

Also updated OP, since the tweet has been deleted now.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Meltac said:

Glad to see most of you are just as excited as I am! It'll be interesting to see what they're going to, because they have a very different, gritty and hardhitting sound to them (especially The Alchemist, ffs how can one be so underrated). Both albums they've made as Gangrene are very good (especially the second), and I really think that their sound fits perfectly in a game like Grand Theft Auto.

Also updated OP, since the tweet has been deleted now.

Nice thanks for that. Was wondering where the tweet went, figured it was deleted.

I think Health was great in Max Payne 3 and showed Rockstar doing some very interesting things integrating musicians into a soundtrack. A hip-hop angle... that's pretty crazy. I'm very interested to see how that works out in the game. I really can't imagine how it will sound but I'm very excited.

And you're right about Alchemist. Legend man, legend.

@EuanDewar said:

This mixtape is great but I thought No Idols had even better production. So damn good. But Bronson is my favorite dude rapping right now.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Meltac

@ArtisanBreads said:

I think Health was great in Max Payne 3 and showed Rockstar doing some very interesting things integrating musicians into a soundtrack.

Yes, no doubt. The soundtrack alone was a huge reason why I loved Max Payne 3. It was just such a nice change from all the big orchestral scores nowadays. So if Gangrene can provide something sonically different like that was, I am all for it.

@ArtisanBreads said:

This mixtape is great but I thought No Idols had even better production. So damn good. But Bronson is my favorite dude rapping right now.

Have you heard Covert Coup? His project with Curren$y. Some of the best Curren$y has put out by far, simply because of him.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

Shit these guys are good. I hope the soundtrack is predominantly instrumental because these beats are great.

Bobstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bobstar

@FunkasaurasRex said:

Shit these guys are good. I hope the soundtrack is predominantly instrumental because these beats are great.

Yeah, I wouldn't even mind if they used the beat for Vodka & Ayahuasca cause that is a sick ass beat.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By Seppli

@triviaman09 said:

@Asger said:

I don't think this means no radio stations, I think this means Gangrene's music will feature at other parts in the game.

Definitely something along the lines of this.

Radiostations with spoof shows and an extensive and awesome library of licensed music of all genres will be included with the game. Common sense really. It's ingrained in GTA's DNA. Never doubt it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I hadn't heard talk of this since the leak, but confirmation of the producers of the games OST: Gangrene (Alchemist and Oh No), Woody Jackson, and Tangerine Dream.

Not sure if this is old news but I'm staying the hell away from spoilers, leaked footage, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.