Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GRIN

Company »

GRIN was a Swedish game development studio, best known for their work on the PC versions of the Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter series and the two new Bionic Commando games. GRIN closed their doors August 12th, 2009.

How Square Enix made GRIN go bankrupt

• 117 results
    Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Hampe

Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet revealed the details about how developer GRIN was left behind by Japanese giant Square Enix. It's an extensive text about the company's successes and failure. I thought it was such a good story that I wanted to translate bits of it to you, so even you can get a hold of this awesome scoop! I've translated the most vital parts of the text, so not everything might be covered. If you find something you find peculiar, please let me know and I'll answer you with the answers I can find in the article or confirm anything in the text. So, let's start.

It all begins...

After expanding and being one of the country's biggest studios, with Starbreeze and DICE being two of the other ones, GRIN got a hold of Yoichi Wada. Wada, being one of the giants in gaming industry with yearly salary of 17 million SEK,  entered the studio with his cortege in 2009. The reason? One of the owners, Ulf Andersson's, computer contained a big project. A whole new game concept under the concept name of "Fortress". The idea had been pitched to all kinds of distributors and when Square Enix got a hold of it, they acted quickly. "Fortress" was to be a fantastic new Final Fantasy-game. Other than that, they liked the visual style that GRIN had suggested.

Square Enix kept visiting GRIN many times. They researched the studio and found a company that seemed promising with good economy and talented people. When Wada got the chance to see a boss fight in the game Bionic Commando, that was currently being completed by the studio for Capcom, he decided. Now, Wada didn't have to see anything more. Square Enix was to let GRIN develop the next FInal Fantasy.

Then, what happened?

A month passed. Two months passed. Square Enix didn't pay a penny to the Swedish company.  No problems, reasoned Bo Andersson, the other owner. The distributors often didn't. But after three, four, five months? No money from the Japanese. Grin bled: the studio costed about 12 million SEK each month. The brothers, Ulf and Bosse, kept holding on. They were about to get to do a renewal of a well known classic game series.

"We wanted to revolutionize Final Fantasy, which is exactly what that series needs. The latest version sucks", Bosse Andersson said.

But Square Enix didn't pay up. Half a year passed. GRIN did everything that they had to do to keep the company developing the game. The closed all the offices in Sweden.  But it wasn't enough. Square Enix starved the the studio to death. Square Enix had been hit hard by the financial crisis and gambled with GRIN as a stake. When spring game, GRIN's Terminator Salvation got awful reviews and Bionic Commando sold way less then expected. The Japanese got defensive.

When the bankruptcy papers came in they revealed that Square Enix was meant to pay GRIN 16,5 million dollors. The payments was supposed to come in waves in accordance with the goals set up with the studio. According to the documents, Sqaure Enix had the opinion that these goals "hadn't been met in a satisfactory way".

"That was one big hoax from their part. We never had a problem during the development and we had delivered an amount of goals to Square Enix and confirmation from a producer via mail"
    , Bo says.

The relation had been a success for along time. Until one day when Square Enix told GRIN to fax them everything. Even the music files from the project. "It's as stupid as it sounds. You can't send ascii- or binary code via fax. That's stupid as hell. Really. It's almost a criminal behavior". One day, GRIN had enough. So they sent Square Enix a screenshot from their own game Final Fantasy XII to test them. The response they got was "that doesn't look like a game in Final Fantasy's style." That's when they knew that whatever they did, Square Enix wouldn't back them up on this.

GRIN were out of money. The company was over.

Today, both the owners Bosse and Ulf are still in debt. And they still work with games. They've started a new studio, but this time, they won't set their trust in big distributors. They're enthustiastic about taking the new game and showing it to the press next week on E3. There, they will make their comeback.

Source: Aftonbladet.se

EDIT: Should be noted that the text above is a purely translated version (although shortened) of the article in the newspaper. It's not me who has written the article, but a Swedish game journalist. I'm neutral in this whole thing and haven't gotten any more information than what I've read.

CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CarpetRemnant

Wow. Wow. Thanks for translating, that's disappointing.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By PhatSeeJay

No Caption Provided
    This one makes me sad to look at. Mostly because I couldn't be there to sign it myself, since I had to move after I had to leave the company. Had a great time there.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By shiftymagician

This was an amazing read. This part pretty much sums up how messed up the whole situation was: 

One day, GRIN had enough. So they sent Square Enix a screenshot from their own game Final Fantasy XII to test them. The response they got was "that doesn't look like a game in Final Fantasy's style." That's when they knew that whatever they did, Square Enix wouldn't back them up on this.  

Simply nonsense.  Anyways, can't wait to see what they have in store for us at E3.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Quacktastic

Yoichi Wada seems like the biggest joke in the industry.  Did they happen to have the screenshot of FF12 they tested them with?  That would be cool to see.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Slaker117

Thanks for posting. Very interesting read.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Pretty damn sad that it happened on the day after Bosse's wedding.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By craigbo180

People still use fax machines?  

@Hampe: Great read, thanks for translating man. I'm a little in the dark here though, what is the new company they formed called?

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chirag4

Very interesting. Did the Swedish newspaper get all this info from ex GRIN employees?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude was on 17 million a year?  

"Games are too expensive to make wah wah" 
    "Here, have 17 million, Mr. Guy"

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MisterChief
    I hope Square go bankrupt. All they do is regurgitate the same shit every year anyway so I don't see what difference it would make.
    Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hampe
    @craigbo180: No name of the new company is mentioned in the article. It's only stated that they're currently have started a new one.

@Chirag4: They got the information directly from Bo Andersson, which they interviewed.  

@Khann: Yeah, insane amount of money Wada has.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slaker117
    @craigbo180: SuperSledge. They haven't really said anything about it yet.
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By buft
    @Khann said:
    Dude was on 17 million a year?   "Games are too expensive to make wah wah" "Here, have 17 million, Mr. Guy"
    yeh thats a joke, i had a friend who worked for rebellion, pretty low down the chain he got £21,000 a year(i think thats around $30,000 )
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By N7

Dude. That's insane.

Given, I thought Terminator Salvation was a trainwreck, and I didn't very much care for Bionic Commando, but no company deserves to be treated that way. What the hell is wrong with SE anymore? :(

Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Malphye
    @Quacktastic said:

Yoichi Wada seems like the biggest joke in the industry.  Did they happen to have the screenshot of FF12 they tested them with?  That would be cool to see.  

Interested in what screenshot they used. 
    Nothing but disappointment from SE's corner.
    donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#17  Edited By donutfever

Sad. Does anyone know the name of Bosse and Ulf's new studio?

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hampe
    @DonutFever: @Slaker117 said:
    @craigbo180: SuperSledge. They haven't really said anything about it yet.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#19  Edited By jacksukeru

Well that sucks, would have been interesting to see what they would've done with Final Fantasy, even if I'm not convinced that it would be good. 

Still, E3 huh? Interesting.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Not only can't they make good games for shit (so, so worried about them japanizing and ruining Deus Ex), they can't handle their business? To be honest I kind of dislike JRPGs a lot, or most japanese games in general, but I can tell even FF have been getting more and more shit. I had to review FFXIV, and that is the worst game I have ever played in my 18 years of gaming, so I guess SqueenixEidos is just getting worse and worse.

It also kinda sucks seeing a big studio from your country fail, even though I only really liked GRAW. Which I think they did.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Axersia
    While it's inexcusable for Square Enix to not pay their dues on time (or ever), it's hard to believe that they were the sole cause of GRIN going bankrupt when they had 3 other games in development alongside Fortress -- all 3 of which tanked horribly. It sucks when people lose their jobs, but it's hard to have sympathy for a company who simply delivers bad work. Seems more likely that the studio grew too large too fast and bit off more than they could chew.

@RockmanBionics said:
    Well that sucks, would have been interesting to see what they would've done with Final Fantasy, even if I'm not convinced that it would be good.  Still, E3 huh? Interesting.
    It was gonna be a 5-hour action game. There's design docs, screenshots, and tech demo footage floating around the net.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By damswedon
    @N7 They know that at any moment they can make the FFVII remake and they will be rolling in it. Hell I think they rake it in every time they rerelease a single digit Final Fantasy game.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By N7
    @damswedon said:
    @N7 They know that at any moment they can make the FFVII remake and they will be rolling in it. Hell I think they rake it in every time the rerelease a single digit Final Fantasy game.
    No Caption Provided
    mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By mattbosten

I'm going to avoid spouting vitriol at Square Enix as we're only seeing the situation from one perspective, although it does seem rather underhanded what SE have done is this circumstance. It's never nice to see people lose there jobs, I think this was probably part of the reasons behind the closure but I think GRIN were a also victim of their own success. They then expanded quickly and took on too many projects too soon, quality dipped, and this left GRIN in trouble. 

rick9109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By rick9109

@MisterChief said:

I hope Square go bankrupt. All they do is regurgitate the same shit every year anyway so I don't see what difference it would make.

Actually the problem is that they don't just regurgiate the same shit every year, and that it takes 5 years to get a Final Fantasy game and they change it so much that their core audience is unhappy.   There are plenty of jRPG fans that would just love for them to remake Final Fantasy VI every time. 
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By craigbo180
    @Slaker117: Cool. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them.
    damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By damodar

All the monetary figures in this article are in Krona, I assume?

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hampe
    @Damodar: Everything except....

@Hampe said:
    When the bankruptcy papers came in they revealed that Square Enix was meant to pay GRIN 16,5 million dollors. 

Seems like I forgot to add SEK after Wada's salary. It's fixed now.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SomeJerk

Thank you for the translation. I've got a bunch of developer diaries from back when DICE was Digital Illusions out of 1993-1994 to translate the moment I stop being lazy..

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ninjakiller

The real question is who are the morons who buy anything with a FF on the cover?  

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By jkuc316

Man, that makes me think of Square Enix badly. Still not enough to make me hate them though.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By mracoon

While Square Enix certainly has their fair share of the blame this is a very one-sided account of the situation. GRIN did make a series of badgames, from a critical perspective, so it's not like they had no involvement in their own downfall.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By buzz_killington

They're showing their new game at E3?? Boy, I sure do hope so.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @mracoon said:

While Square Enix certainly has their fair share of the blame this is a very one-sided account of the situation. GRIN did make a series of badgames, from a critical perspective, so it's not like they had no involvement in their own downfall.

My thoughts. I'm smelling bullshit and blame in this whole situation.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Animasta

I heard wada, after this was all over, went over to the final days of the grin studio and kicked everybody in the shins while twirling a fake mustache he bought for just such an occasion.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By blueduck
    @mracoon said:

Yeah but it has nothing to do with the critical perspective since where talking money here. Those games still could have sold enough to keep the company going.
    hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By hero_swe

I recall that while those 3 games were indeed quickly developed. They did sell and there were people that liked them. The numbers were okay for GRIN. I knew  the entire time the fault lay at SE and to hear it come from the top warms my heart.  

There are far too many things I'd like to do to Yoichi Wada but I cannot mention any of them here. But here's what I'll say. Never do business with Square Enix.
    Towers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Towers
    Aftonbladet is kinda notorious for sensationalizing stories as well. They're sorta the Fox News of Sweden. 

http://www.thelocal.se/21710/20090827/ 

I'm not saying that this article is something completely made up but I take pretty much EVERYTHING Afonbladet says with a HUGE grain of salt. All my experience really comes from them and Sports (Hockey) where they really lie out their asses.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By mracoon

@blueduck said:

@mracoon said:

Yeah but it has nothing to do with the critical perspective since where talking money here. Those games still could have sold enough to keep the company going.

I'm quite certain all those games sold poorly. If a company keeps making bad games it's not unreasonable to think that's going to effect their bottom line.

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hampe
    @Towers: I must however say that the part of Aftonbladet working with games nowadays (that is Aftonbladet Spela) is certainly one of the best publications in Sweden for gaming news. LEVEL and Laser isn't even close to being as good, which is unfortunate with thoughts going to how good they were once.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Slaker117
    @blueduck: @Hero_Swe: I don't know about the other two, but I remember stories about how poorly Bionic Commando sold. Something like under 50k in a month.
    Towers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Towers
    @Hampe said:
    @Towers: I must however say that the part of Aftonbladet working with games nowadays (that is Aftonbladet Spela) is certainly one of the best publications in Sweden for gaming news. LEVEL and Laser isn't even close to being as good, which is unfortunate with thoughts going to how good they were once.
    OK, I can accept that. I honestly don't read Aftonbladet that much but thought it was necessary to speak of their shady past.  

Thank you for clearing that up for me and any others that were curious.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GunslingerPanda

What a very one-sided article.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Cirdain
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Akrid
    @mracoon said:

@blueduck said:

@mracoon said:

I'm quite certain all those games sold poorly. If a company keeps making bad games it's not unreasonable to think that's going to effect their bottom line.

Those games mentioned sold a total of 3.09 million copies, according to vgcharts (Hate to use that as a source but it's the best we've got). Sounds pretty dire for games that were developed and marketed as AAA titles. 

Square had little part in the company going under.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By Cirdain
    @Towers said:
    Aftonbladet is kinda notorious for sensationalizing stories as well. They're sorta the Fox News of Sweden. 

http://www.thelocal.se/21710/20090827/  I'm not saying that this article is something completely made up but I take pretty much EVERYTHING Afonbladet says with a HUGE grain of salt. All my experience really comes from them and Sports (Hockey) where they really lie out their asses.
    oh... right.
    Do they often have a bi-monthly video games are bad for our society segment. Cos' I'm from the UK and the news dont get away with is as much as fox because some of us write letters of complaint to the news if any bullshit is smelt.
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MideonNViscera
    @rick9109 said:

There are plenty of jRPG fans that would just love for them to remake Final Fantasy VI every time. 

I'd buy that every time!
    Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hampe
    @Cirdain said:
    Do they often have a bi-monthly video games are bad for our society segment?
    Nah, I wouldn't say that. Their gaming section is pretty well educated in the matter. Sure, sometimes some other bloke in the newspaper writes a shitty article about how "games are bad", but the consistent staff in the gaming part of the newspaper doesn't take that bullshit.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By blueduck
    @Akrid said:

@mracoon said:

@blueduck said:

@mracoon said:

Those games mentioned sold a total of 3.09 million copies, according to vgcharts (Hate to use that as a source but it's the best we've got). Sounds pretty dire for games that were developed and marketed as AAA titles.  Square had little part in the company going under.
    I've seen different lower numbers but if we use yours 3.09 million copies sold is not great but the company wouldn't have gone under  it they sold that amount. However, had a company said they were going to pay large amounts of money for development of a costly  game and then just never paid the money I could see how that would sink a company. I understand a lot of people love SE because they used to make  great games but any way you look at it, even if it didn't totally sink the company, it's is a dick move.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.