Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guacamelee!

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 09, 2013

Guacamelee! is a side-scrolling Metroidvania style game featuring a luchador on a quest through dual worlds to save El Presidente's daughter.

List of Game's References

DigitalErsatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, I was looking to get started on a thread about all the weird references this game makes to other games, memes, and whatnot since I know for a fact I will not get them all myself. Let's do it to it!

Juan has a tattoo on his chest of a flaming heart that I'm pretty sure is a reference to the cover art of a Mexican rock band called Maná (not Mana) and their album Revolución de Amor. Check out the image of his tattoo here and the album cover art here, or you can just check out the images below.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

My personal favourite has to be the dead Journey dude laying on the side of the mountain before you fight Javier Jaguar.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Hey guys, I was looking to get started on a thread about all the weird references this game makes to other games, memes, and whatnot since I know for a fact I will not get them all myself. Let's do it to it!

Juan has a tattoo on his chest of a flaming heart that I'm pretty sure is a reference to the cover art of a Mexican rock band called Maná (not Mana) and their album Revolución de Amor. Check out the image of his tattoo here and the album cover art here, or you can just check out the images below.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I very much doubt that's a reference to album art; that design is actually known as the sacred heart, and is a common tattoo design (Google: Sacred heart tattoo).

Taky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Taky

My personal favourite has to be the dead Journey dude laying on the side of the mountain before you fight Javier Jaguar.

Haha - that is my favourite too. I played through this area multiple times before realizing what I was seeing.

PlayPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By PlayPaul

I liked the giant Fez style QR code, but, just like Brad, most of the reddit/internet references go over my head.

LadyShayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My favorite is the Fez code in the church's attic that you need to use the alphabet cipher to make any sense of. The message reads "Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine". Fez + A Christmas Story = a weirdly perfect meta commentary on the decoding process. I also found it to be quite effective as a promotional device as I really want to drink Ovaltine now...

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Castlevania mural in the forest, Megaman embedded stone, and Space Invaders embedded stone are pretty great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.