Guacamelee! is a Metroidvania-style brawler where players play as Juan, a Mexican farmer who has been imbued with a magical luchador mask, and is tasked with saving the president's daughter who has been kidnapped by a skeletal demon. There is a light world/dark world component, with players using portals to switch between the two "worlds" (and later doing it on the fly) to fight enemies and traverse levels. The game can be played either solo or cooperatively, with the first player controlling Juan and the second playing a woman known as Tostada. The game was funded through Sony's Pub Fund program.
Combat consists of melee attacks, such as punches, grapples and throws. There are also other moves to unlock that help traverse the environment such as uppercuts, ground pounds and turning into a chicken. Players get coins for killing enemies, and can spend these coins at the store to get more moves, improved stamina, and higher health. In true Metroidvania style, as players learn more moves and attacks, they gain access to areas they previously could not get into.
Special moves are gained as the player progresses through the game, and they use one bar of stamina when performed. Players can gain more stamina by finding hidden chests in the levels, as well as buying them in the store with coins.
- Rooster Uppercut - A special move that launches Juan into the air, attacking players in front of and above the player. This special move also can break red blocks that block the player's path.
- Olmec's Headbutt - A special move that Juan can only perform while standing still. This move breaks yellow blocks.
- Frog Slam - A flying body slam that attacks enemies below Juan while he is airborne. This move breaks green blocks.
- Dashing Derpderp - This move is a sideways dash attack that Juan can perform on the ground or in the air. This move breaks blue blocks.
- Goat Climb - A special ability acquired late in the game, this ability lets you run up walls. It allows you to skip significant portions of levels that were previously difficult or impossible to traverse.
- Goat Fly - Another late game ability, this special ability lets you...well, fly. Once attached to walls, Juan can launch horizontally and sail directly across the screen indefinitely, although the player has no control of Juan while he is mid-air.
- Pollo Power - Juan can change himself into a chicken, making him smaller and allowing access to smaller areas the player cannot fit otherwise. The chicken can also peck enemies.
Super Turbo Championship Edition
This new edition of the game bundles all the DLC and exclusive new skills and levels for release on PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360 and Xbox One later in 2014. The Wii U port is developed by Broken Rules.
Guacamelee! features a number of the Sony's cross-play technologies. Purchasing the game on either the PS3 or the PS Vita allows the player to also download the game on the other console.
As the game is the same on each platform it is possible to use cross-save from the option menu on the game's main menu to both upload and download the save file. Trophies also sync between both platforms.
Finally, a second player can join the PS3 version using the Vita as a controller via remote-play.
PC System Requirements
- OS: Windows 7, 8, XP, 2000 and Vista
- Processor: 2 Ghz+
- Memory: 512 MB RAM
- Graphics: Shader Model 3.0, 512 MB VRAM
- DirectX: Version 9.0c
- Hard Drive: 800 MB available space
- Additional Notes: Supports Xbox 360 Controller and other XInput-compatible controllers