Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Guild Wars 2 @ PAX Prime 2011 (News, Articles, and Video)

• 62 results
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

If you took a look at the GamesCom thread, you should know how this works. I'll do my best to update this post with any recorded media and coverage to come out of PAX this year. Help is very much welcome. A couple of things to note:

• try to attribute the source of whatever you decide to post (makes it easier to reference here)
    • I'll only be putting high-quality videos (i.e. no shaky-cam or severe blur) on the front page, but feel free to put up any video you want for the benefit of others
    Official News and Social Media:
    NCSoft at PAX Prime 2011
    Prepare for Guild Wars 2 at PAX Prime!
    ArenaNet's PAX Prime Plans!
    Beta Keys in the Near Future(djWHEAT / Twitter)
    What Reworking Traits Means(Eric Flannum / GW2 Guru)
    Plans for Player Housing and Guild Halls(Martin Kerstein / GW2 Guru)

Live Streams:
    Alienware Arena (PvP)
    Guild Wars 2 Live

Video (underlined = highly recommended): 
    Pre-Game Developer Interviews(MattVisual / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2 Dev Tournament 1 Match 1(montanax / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2 Dev Tournament 1 Match 2(montanax / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2 Dev Tournament 1 Match 3 (Semi-Final)(montanax / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2 Dev Tournament 1 Match 4 (Final)(montanax / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2 Dev Tournament 2 Match 1(TubeElephant / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2 Dev Tournament 2 Match 2(TubeElephant / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2 Dev Tournament 2 Match 3 (Semi-Final)(TubeElephant / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2 Dev Tournament 2 Match 4 (Final)(TubeElephant / YouTube)
    Engineer Demo Skills Overview(Gw2RevGaming / YouTube)
    Guardian Demo Skills Overview(Gw2RevGaming / YouTube)
    Warrior Demo Skills Overview(Gw2RevGaming / YouTube)
    Ranger Demo Skills Overview(Gw2RevGaming / YouTube)
    Necromancer Demo Skills Overview(Gw2RevGaming / YouTube)
    Thief Demo Skills Overview(Gw2RevGaming / YouTube)
    Elementalist Demo Skills Overview(Gw2RevGaming / YouTube)
    High-Level Sylvari Necromancer: Sinking the Ash Horizon (No Sound)(Gw2RevGaming / YouTube)
    High-Level Sylvari Thief: Defeating Tequatl the Sunless (No Sound)(Gw2RevGaming / YouTube)
    Low-Level Charr Guardian: Ash Legion Story and the Black Citadel Part 1(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Charr Guardian: Ash Legion Story and the Black Citadel Part 2(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Charr Guardian: Ash Legion Story and the Black Citadel Part 3(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Charr Guardian: Ash Legion Story and the Black Citadel Part 4 (plus a mad dash for Ascalon City)(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Human Elementalist: Events Around Shaemoor Part 1(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Human Elementalist: Events Around Shaemoor Part 2(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Human Elementalist: Events Around Shaemoor Part 3(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Human Elementalist: Events Around Shaemoor Part 4(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Human Guardian: Tutorial Part 1(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Human Guardian: Tutorial Part 2(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Norn Ranger: Personal Story and Events Around the Wayfarer Foothills Part 1(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Norn Ranger: Personal Story and Events Around the Wayfarer Foothills Part 2(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Low-Level Norn Ranger: Personal Story and Events Around the Wayfarer Foothills Part 3(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    High-Level Sylvari Thief: Clearing the Shoreline of Orrian Undead Part 1(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    High-Level Sylvari Thief: Clearing the Shoreline of Orrian Undead Part 2(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    High-Level Sylvari Thief: Clearing the Shoreline of Orrian Undead Part 3(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    High-Level Sylvari Ranger: The Ash Horizon, Commentary by VA Troy Baker, and Killing the Shit Out of Tequatl Twice Part 1(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    High-Level Sylvari Ranger: The Ash Horizon, Commentary by VA Troy Baker, and Killing the Shit Out of Tequatl Twice Part 2(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    High-Level Sylvari Ranger: The Ash Horizon, Commentary by VA Troy Baker, and Killing the Shit Out of Tequatl Twice Part 3(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    High-Level Sylvari Ranger: The Ash Horizon, Commentary by VA Troy Baker, and Killing the Shit Out of Tequatl Twice Part 4(AlilaKita / YouTube)
    Scouring the Black Citadel(SessGoesGW / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2 Community Manager Panel(GuildWars2Live / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2 Character Art: Creation and Iteration Panel(GuildWars2Live / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2 Lore Panel (no Q&A session due to audio drop)(jupiterbroadcasting / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2: Creating a Social MMO Panel Part 1(burnsteadlily / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2: Creating a Social MMO Panel Part 2(burnsteadlily / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2: Creating a Social MMO Panel Part 3(burnsteadlily / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2: Creating a Social MMO Panel Part 4(burnsteadlily / YouTube)
    Guild Wars 2: Creating a Social MMO Panel Part 5(burnsteadlily / YouTube)
    Interview with Randy Price(Nvidia / YouTube)

Press/Enthusiast/Fan Coverage:
    Hints of Guild Info(Hunter's Insight)
    High-Level Warrior Impressions(Gigashadow / GW2 Guru)
    PvP Warrior Impressions(Gigashadow / GW2 Guru)
    High-Level Necromancer Impressions; Profession Thoughts(Gigashadow / GW2 Guru)
    Low-Level Charr Guardian Impressions; High-Level Elementalist Impressions(Akembo Mehtani / GW2 Guru)
    High-Level Guardian, Warrior, Engineer, and Thief Impressions; PvP Guardian, Warrior, and Elementalist Impressions(I've Got Your Kisses / GW2 Guru)
    High-Level Elementalist, Thief, Necromancer, and Ranger Impressions; Profession Thoughts(I've Got Your Kisses / GW2 Guru)
    PvP Warrior Impressions; Other Professions at a Glance(Ravoric / GW2 Guru)
    General Demo Impressions; High-Level Thief Impressions(KungFuEwok / GW2 Guru)
    Low-Level Charr Necromancer Impressions(KungFuEwok / GW2 Guru)
    PAX Day 3 Experience; Questions for Jeff Grubb(Alila / GW2 Guru)
    Fan Questions for Matthew Moore(Sirius / GW2 Guru)
    Thoughts on Profession Balance and Playability(Vorsakan / GW2 Guru)
    PAX Day 1; High-Level Necromancer Impressions(Talk Tyria)
    PAX Day 2; High-Level Engineer Impressions(Talk Tyria)
    Chat with Martin Kerstin and Future Giveaway(NecroBator)
    Analyzing Lich Form(NecroBator)
    PvP Impressions and Necromancer Tips(NecroBator)
    Hands on with PvP in Guild Wars 2(TenTonHammer)
    PvE Demo Highlights (TenTonHammer)
    Interview with Randy Price on Competitive and World vs World PvP
    A Roleplayer's Impressions from PAX Day 1(Ashenfold Cartel)
    Guild Wars 2 Preview: "Common Sense"(Joystiq)
    Hands-On with the Asura(Massively)
    PAX Prime 2011 Guild Wars 2 Experience(Massively)
    Guild Wars 2: Multiple Guilds Allowed(MMOCrunch)
    Guild Wars 2: Designing a Cooperative Experience(GameSpot)
    Guildwarsmobile(1-up)
    Hand-On with the Guild Wars 2 Demo(ZAM)
    Plans for Player-Run PvP Servers?(MMORPG)
    High-Level Guardian Impressions(MMORPG) 
    Summary of the Big Guild Wars 2 Panel(MMORPG)
    PAX Prime 2011 Experience; PvP Tournament Experience; High-Level Ranger Impressions; Low-Level Charr Guardian Impressions(Greibach)
    djWHEAT on Guild Wars 2's Viability as an E-Sport(Team Legacy)
    Thoughts on Multiple Guild Memberships(KillTenRats)

Here's hoping Guild Wars 2 will have a great showing this year!
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Subjugation

I approve of this thread.

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Skogen

Awesome. Thanks for the links.

Hopefully we get a Mesmer unveil at PAX.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @weeman105: I'm feeling the pressure, given that now any Guild Wars 2 thread that doesn't make it into the Community Spotlight is an objective failure.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Skogen: They've already said that definitely won't happen. All the demo builds are exactly the same as what we saw at Gamescom.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Seppli
    @Dark_Lord_Spam

Awesome Thread. Keep up the good work. Love them PvP videos. Very sexy with quality, both of gameplay and footage and commentary. Hoping for lots more goodness out of PAX Prime.

btw. any word on the reveal yet?
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Seppli: Just updated the post with a hint of beta info to come. It may be safe to say that the reveal will be more beta news.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Vexxan

Gaaah when can I get my hands on this beautiful game :x

Thank you for gathering all links in one place, very useful!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli
    @Dark_Lord_Spam said:
    @Seppli: Just updated the post with a hint of beta info to come. It may be safe to say that the reveal will be more beta news.
    Let's pray for a preorder box like SW:TOR. Just with beta access instead of early access.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Subjugation

@Seppli said:

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:
    Let's pray for a preorder box like SW:TOR. Just with beta access instead of early access.

I would be game for this. No pun intended.

@Dark_Lord_Spam: I'm sure this will make it in as well. Pro formatting and lots of quality content ... no brainer. Keep it up!

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @weeman105: Can't help the formatting. I'm a perfectionist. :P
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli

Dang - just watched the Finale. The devs were dominating with their leet strats and skill. The necro treb operator was the most awesome part of it. When he got attacked the first time he got to spawn like 5 little demon dogs - by the second time he got attacked those tore the enemy engineer to bits. Necros are going to be the PLAGUE! Sexyness just won a couple of notches toward being my main class.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Seppli: Yeah, I love how the necro looks, and I always wanted to get into being a minion master in GW1, but microing more than one AI partner (e.g. ranger) overwhelms me. Plus, I can't imagine I'll want to play one before an ele or mesmer.

EDIT: More PvP streaming right now.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Seppli
    @Dark_Lord_Spam said:

...mesmer.

Pretty sure 'Class 8' will not be 'The Mesmer'. ArenaNet has publicly denied 'The Mesmer'. I suspect something along the lines of the Guardian, which apparently is similar to a 'Protective Monk' build in GW1 - some sort of hybrid between the Mesmer's utility and a unique personality and style. Something like an 'Unholy Guardian' being about DoTs and status debuffs and crowd control rather than zone control and status buffs and support.
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Seppli: It's pretty much the mesmer for these reasons:
    • Before the engineer was revealed, ANet stated that of the last two professions to be shown, one was brand new and one was returning. We already have the warrior, the ranger, the elementalist, and the necromancer. We know the monk and the ritualist are NOT returning. The thief has replaced the assassin. There are no spears (on land) or scythes among the weapons of GW2, thus, no paragons or dervishes. What does that leave? The mesmer.
    • This next part is so blatant and detailed I'm just going to quote someone from another forum:
    Amannelle said:

Ok, do note this first list includes MAJOR SPOILERS FOR EDGE OF DESTINY.

1. Mesmers are one of the 3 types of casters in GW2.

2. When Queen Jennah uses her mesmer magic, she also creates an image of herself, towering over the audience. This is specifically called " mesmer magic". This is a direct use of illusion, visible and audible by all.

3. With Mesmer magic, Jennah bonded herself to Logan. Doing this with physical touch, she entered his mind, saw all his memories, and through this bond, was able to call to him telepathically when he was far away.

4. When Kralkatorrik's energy battered Ebonhawke, Jennah and Countess Anise (both Mesmers) could sense Kralkatorrik's mind.

5. As quoted from Queen Jennah:

6. Through meditation together, Anise channeled her thoughts into Jennah, allowing her [Jennah] to look into Kralkatorrik's mind from afar, though only for a moment.

7. Jennah is able to summon an enormous illusion of Kralkatorrik, filling the sky and flying over and past Ebonhawke.

8. Along with this illusion, Jennah creates the illusion of all the defenders being turned to stone. This was not just an illusion, but penetrated the senses so deeply as to convince the defenders that they WERE stone, until it faded away. Jennah had used mesmerism to directly affected the sense; the consciousness.

9. Jennah managed to maintain the illusion of Kralkatorrik until it was out of sight, indicating a wide range of control.

Now, what can we see from this?
    In lore, Mesmers are capable of:

1. Creating illusions; audible, visible, and tangible.
    2. Using telepathy.
    3. Making telepathic contact from a far distance.
    4. Sensing the consciousness of others, despite line of sight.
    5. Using telepathy through physical touch-- reading minds.
    6. Manipulating minds ("how to turn them").
    7. Manipulating the physical senses.
    8. Maintaining illusions from afar.
    9. Channeling thoughts/energy into others.

Now, do note Jennah is labeled as an extraordinarily powerful mesmer, so her enormous illusions and distant telepathic communication may be due to her immense power, and atypical of mesmers. Nonetheless, she, as a mesmer, did these things, and therefore they show what mesmer magic is capable of.

All but confirmed.

EDIT: That last match was probably the most intense I've seen. Red coming back quickly towards the end but ultimately losing 423 to 500.
    DOUBLE EDIT: Scratch that. The semis were phenomenal. Great back-and-forth between the teams right up until the end. Asura necromancer holding the center was making especially skillful use of fear and his death shroud.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Subjugation

Turtle Beach stream was a colossal bust. They just looped a five minute interview piece that wasn't even live. Shame on you Turtle Beach. This Alienware stream is pretty boss though. Arenanet is dominating, surprise?

Edit: Arenanet necro holding off three guys! Wow ..

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

ArenaNet dominated the final yet again, but it seemed to come down to less a superior strategy than a greater handle on combat and movement. I'll be putting the tournament up as soon as it's online.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Seppli
    @Dark_Lord_Spam

That's quite a convincing argument, yet I'm convinced otherwise. I'm not saying it's not going some sorts of mesmer, it's just not going to be 'The Mesmer'. I'm quite convinced they're going with a 3rd plate class, rather than a 3rd cloth class. Just can't see GW2's variant of 'The Mesmer' being a cloth character.

They've got 4 mostly ranged characters and only 3 melee with the Thief being quite 'range-y' too with that insane DPS they're doing with pistols. Standing by my 'Melee Mesmer Type in Heavy Armor' assessement. I bet 100x 'Internetz' on it.
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Seppli: That's DEFINITELY confirmed to not be the case. There are two classes using heavy armor (warrior, guardian), three with medium (ranger, thief, engineer), and three with light (elementalist, necromancer, *unrevealed*).

Source.

And come on, look how many times the name "mesmer" is used in that quote. Straight from the book!
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli
    @Dark_Lord_Spam said:
    @Seppli: That's DEFINITELY confirmed to not be the case. There are two classes using heavy armor (warrior, guardian), three with medium (ranger, thief, engineer), and three with light (elementalist, necromancer, *unrevealed*).

Source. And come on, look how many times the name "mesmer" is used in that quote. Straight from the book!
    It's a ruse. I'll get my 'Dark Knight'. Just wait and see!
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind

In the case for the mesmer, don't forget the concept art that more or less matches the shadowed out image on the official website. This is the same way we knew about the Guardian and Thief before hand. There's really no point in speculating, it's the mesmer.

No Caption Provided

It wouldn't make sense to have a third heavy armour class, because they're trying to make each class as distinct as possible. Warriors focus on multiple weapons and high damage output, where as Guardians are more about defence and support. What would a third class do, that wouldn't just be a mix of those two or a slight variant? I'd love to see a more rogue like mesmer, with the ability to equip guns, but I don't think they'll change much beyond that.

It's a very iconic GW class and just had to return.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By TheHT

Oh fuck me, I thought the show started tomorrow and today was just... nevermind. *dives in*

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seppli

Love how the JustinTV recordings are @ 60 FPS. Makes a world of difference. Awesome.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seppli

Nom Nom Nom, there was a Norn Warrior wielding a Greatsword in the 3rd match-up of the afternoon tournament. Looking good! Might have found my main right there.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Thanks for grabbin those PvP stream archives - was sweating about missing them due to work.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Thor_Molecules

Loving this thread. Thanks a lot!!

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Buckfitches said:

Loving this thread. Thanks a lot!!

As an added bonus, here's a guardian swinging his hammer.

No Caption Provided
    That part was hilarious. Elementalist golf should be an in-game sport.
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By zyn

Thanks for the info!

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Subjugation

Love love love this thread.

Troncek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Troncek

Some new guild info from the panel.

“You can belong to as many guilds as you want. You can choose not to represent any of the guilds if you want to, or choose which one you would like to represent on any given day.”

“Talking about how they wanted to give people reasons to be in a guild. Earning “influence” when you do things with your guild. Can use influence to purchase, say, a flag that you can put down in an area and then anyone from your guild who’s near that flag gets an exp boost.”

“Guilds will earn influence and use this to unlock a skill tree of abilities to help the whole guild.”

“Guilds can own and upgrade “keeps” in WvWvW.”

“Influence can be used to unlock guild goodies, such as a flag to give an xp bonus.”

“Question about being in multiple guild chats at one time. You cannot do this. You can switch to whatever guild you want whenever you want but you can’t see multiple guild chats at once.”

“Trait system was scrapped and being redone.”

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Subjugation
    @Troncek: Sounds a lot like what WoW did for guilds in Cataclysm. If you're going to emulate anything, this is certainly a good choice. Belonging to as many guilds as you like sounds very interesting as well. I'm curious to see how that works out. What would give you a reason to stay in any one guild? Guilds will want a reliable group of people in their roster and being able to switch around at any given time seems like a complex issue.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Seppli
    @Troncek said:

Some new guild info from the panel.

“You can belong to as many guilds as you want. You can choose not to represent any of the guilds if you want to, or choose which one you would like to represent on any given day.”

“Talking about how they wanted to give people reasons to be in a guild. Earning “influence” when you do things with your guild. Can use influence to purchase, say, a flag that you can put down in an area and then anyone from your guild who’s near that flag gets an exp boost.”

“Guilds will earn influence and use this to unlock a skill tree of abilities to help the whole guild.”

Guilds can own and upgrade “keeps” in WvWvW.”

“Influence can be used to unlock guild goodies, such as a flag to give an xp bonus.”

“Question about being in multiple guild chats at one time. You cannot do this. You can switch to whatever guild you want whenever you want but you can’t see multiple guild chats at once.”

“Trait system was scrapped and being redone.”

One's just pure awesome (being in multiple guilds) and the other promises sooo much for WvsWvsW - just hope it won't be a bummer like Warhammer Online was in regards to open PvP.
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Here's some low-quality video for the barbarians among you:

Asura Animations (RevGaming / YouTube)   

Asura Guardian in Sparkfly Fen (RevGaming / YouTube)

Asura Warrior Faces Tequatl (RevGaming / YouTube)   

Sylvari Engineer Faces Tequatl (Araletha / YouTube)   

Norn Starter Elementalist with Dev Narration Part 1 (sillyboy9865 / YouTube)   

Norn Starter Elementalist with Dev Narration Part 2 (sillyboy9865 / YouTube)   
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seppli

Can't find any new PvP videos! Didn't day say they'd do 2 dev tourneys each day?

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @Seppli: Yeah, unfortunately Alienware didn't stream yesterday's out, so we have to rely on someone at PAX capturing and uploading it.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seppli
    @Dark_Lord_Spam said:
    @Seppli: Yeah, unfortunately Alienware didn't stream yesterday's out, so we have to rely on someone at PAX capturing and uploading it.
    Dang - what a shame. I was looking forward to more of them sexy sweet videos.
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By RobbieMac

Looking solid.  Also the last profession will be a revamped Mesmer.  As mentioned before it is being brought back from GW1 and that it will be an advanced profession.  The hardest class to master was indeed the Mesmer in GW1, but if you did man you could be a really problem in PvP.  Pargon and Dervish seemed to be kind of meshed in my eyes into the Guardian, Dervish could be a very defensive profession in GW1 and Pargon would help with a lot of buffs.  Seems like those are two attributes the Guardian has.

Plus it was already stated there will be three scholar professions, currently there is only the elementalist and necro.  Anyways still digging that PvP gameplay a lot.  Though after watching the vids there is one thing I am not too fond of and that is whenever the Asura character stops moving they do this little hop.  I know I am being picky with that, but just seems like too much.  Otherwise I love the animations for the Asura.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Gamebreaker is streaming live updates and commentary from the game design panel, here's some info from the Q&A (ripped straight from Gamebreaker feed):

• "Question about content - asking about the kind of armor and weapons we'll be seeing. Answer: saying how they have a massive number of item skins and how a great deal of effort has been put into where these skins (items) will come from (dungeons, crafting, etc). GW2 has more armor sets than GW1 and more available per character, because of the armor system. Also mentioned is the dye system and how that will make your character stand out."
    • "Question about event scaling. Asking if one person can do a dynamic event. Answer? The majority of the events in the game are designed to scale down to one player and scale up to multiple numbers of groups. But there will be some events that require multiple people and cannot be completed by a single player."
    • "Question about PvP - asking if rock/paper/scissors is done away with in GW2 PvP. Their answer starts with "kind of..". Explaining that because of the flexibility of GW2 skills it's not a "hard" rock paper scissors but more variable."
    • "Question about if you'll be forced to be red and blue in PvP, or if you can show off your dye job. Answer is that you'll have the option to show the other players your team colors or your own colors."
    • "Question about how they expect the events to change once they get into beta. Basically an impossible question to answer until everyone gets into GW2 and starts testing! They're getting it internally to some degree but we'll have to wait and see how beta changes the dynamic events."
    • "Question about the process of developing events and making them fit into the world. Asking about how they fix an event after they've been fully developed and somehow they missed a massive issue. (The example was our king event being OP) Answer is that they have no problem taking content out when it doesn't work or ripping it up and rebuilding it so it does make sense and work within the world."
    •   "Question asking about the 8th profession. Answer: Yep, we have eight professions." (editorial looooooooooool)
    • "Question about guild halls! Answer is that there will not be guild halls 'in the initial release.' At some point they WILL DO HOUSING! A 'really robust housing system.'" 
    • "Talking about how effects can go through some things. Through walls of fire, etc. Question about if we can put a mine on a warrior and blow everyone up. We cannot. :( "
    • "Question about.. jacking swords from NPCs. This audience member saw a really neat sword during his demo and would like to have it. Anything you see on an NPC wearing is HIGHLY likely to be available to you at one point. Not every single item, but almost all of them."
    • "Question about dynamic events and how it relates to itemization. Talking about how you will not specific items for doing a specific event. All events reward you with karma, which you can spend at NPCs to get what *you* want. That way players aren't left behind because they aren't seeing one specific event spawn."
    • "Going to have a team dedicated to bringing more dynamic events into the game after release."
    • "Question about crafting - asking how you will be getting crafting materials and what percent GW2 is complete. They can't tell us how far into being finished with the game they are because at any time they could go back and restructure, remove, or completely remake parts of the game. For crafting you'll be able to salvage items in the world but one of the major ways you'll be getting crafting items is through a gathering system. Talking about how it encourages exploring and interacting with the world and the dynamic events within it."
    • "Last question. Asking about they plan to deal with depopulation in world events as players move on to the next zone and less people are in the lower level zones. Answer is discussing how the events are built to scale."
    Seems like the biggest info here is a) PvP colorization, b) no guild halls, and c) player housing.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Bestostero

So no official word on mesmer yet? lame.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

This game looks so damn good. I have been playing in the swtor beta and the story stuff is great, but the combat is still kind of boring, similar to wow. It looks like the combat in this game is going to be amazing, and it also looks really polished for not even being in beta yet. the more I see the more hyped I am.

And here are is a well commentated video of the 40min demo.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@xhavoc86 said:

So no official word on mesmer yet? lame.

They did say it wouldn't be at PAX but sometime before the end of the year.

I'm also happy to hear most of the NPC equipment will be available to wear (which we really already knew, but still). So many of the heroes in GW1 had amazing looking armour sets that were totally unavailable. It made the heroes look more unique, yes, but it was silly that they had stuff that looked better than anything available to the players.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind said:

... but it was silly that they had stuff that looked better than anything available to the players.

Agreed 100%

Unique is good, but the promotional warrior (who wasn't even in the game - or perhaps, wasn't a main character and I missed him) for GW1 still looks cooler than any player warrior I've seen. (maybe because his armour actually looks almost practical - and his helm is badass)

Then again, that is a very hard line to walk, so I'm just hoping that the end game armours are worth my time.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@selfconfessedcynic: The knights armour was pretty similar to that one, I always loved that set, I was happy when they finally added a 15k version.

And hey, at least we finally get that promotional set in GW2. I'll probably keep my Guardian in that until the end game. :)

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind: Man - 15K Kurzick Armour (actually forgot about 15k sets) was what I ended up with for the majority of my game. It looks awesome if you ditch the helm and dye it properly (I think I did mine silver?).

But yeah, getting awesome armor is always fun - it pretty much provides the basis for my engame gameplay when not PvPing. Here's hopin for some awesome designs (they've stuck to showing generic ones thus far - I wonder what they've come up with)

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Seppli

It's a GamesCom video, but definitely one of the best coming out of late; so far PAX has been very meager, so I'll just post it here too - just so you don't miss out. An Asura Elementalist questing in Sparkfly Fen. Nice Steady Cam footage with Direct Feed ingame sound. Pretty much sells me on the Elementalist class. So rich in active skills thanks to their attunements.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @selfconfessedcynic said:

@WinterSnowblind: Man - 15K Kurzick Armour (actually forgot about 15k sets) was what I ended up with for the majority of my game. It looks awesome if you ditch the helm and dye it properly (I think I did mine silver?).

But yeah, getting awesome armor is always fun - it pretty much provides the basis for my engame gameplay when not PvPing. Here's hopin for some awesome designs (they've stuck to showing generic ones thus far - I wonder what they've come up with)

Every time I slaughtered a White Mantle warrior I was unleashing the pent-up rage I had from not being able to get their armor.
    RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By RobbieMac
    @Dark_Lord_Spam: They finally made it available as costumes I think.  Though the best helm for warrior was the FoW one, had that for my warrior and then multiple sets of other 15k armour to mix with it.  Elementalist I feel had some of the most boring armour, so I ended up just using the 15k Luxon armour for him.
    Citizengamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Citizengamer

Just wanted to weigh in and say thanks to OP for this update thread and collecting all the links -- Guild Wars 2 is the only MMO on the horizon that I can summon any half-serious ideas about playing. Not to say The Secret World or maybe one or two others aren't looking interesting, but ... I really have no time these days for a subscription-based MMO.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Subjugation

@Seppli: Wow, elementalist looks like it's going to have a ton of abilities in between attunements and weapon swaps. Every time I see a new video for one of the classes I realize just how good all of them look.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Seppli
    @weeman105 said:

@Seppli: Wow, elementalist looks like it's going to have a ton of abilities in between attunements and weapon swaps. Every time I see a new video for one of the classes I realize just how good all of them look.

It seems to me that the elementalist doesn't have weapon hotswap. At least it's lacking the hotswap hotkey in the UI, which would be to the left of the weapon skills. Nontheless, elementalists get 20 active weapon skills, where-as other classes get 10 plus a few from class mechanics. The engineer might have more, but has to sacrifice its 3 utility skillslots for flamethrower and grenades and mines - which would bring the engineer up to 25 active weapon skills at most. The Thief's pretty much fucked though in comparison. 10 active weapon skills and the bearly useful 'steal skill' ability - that's meagre.

Oh well, there's more to fun gameplay than an abundance of skills, plenty of which seem to semi-redundant anyways. Only time will tell. Nontheless - the elementalist's rich skill pool gives the class a big bump towards getting my playtime.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.