Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2: Episode Three

Game » consists of 2 releases.

The cancelled, infamously long-delayed final chapter of the episodic Half-Life 2 saga.

Episode 3 and Portal 2's Ending (Spoilers You Fools)

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Sup fools,

• At the end of Portal 2 the world is fine and safe.  Portal 2 takes place after Episode 3.  Thus, John Freeman and his brother saved the world.  
    • At the end of Portal 2 co-op, you see that ending.  Could this mean that humans are dead or left the planet, or just used as subjects?

Portal 2 confirms the Earth is saved right?  So what's the point of Episode 3 when we know how it'll end.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

I need to see more than a gaddamn field before Im convinced the world is safe.

Also"
    "What's the point of Reach, I know how it ends"
    "What's the point of Sunset Boulevard, we know the hero dies"
    and so on.
    Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Colin
    @ryanwho said:
    " I need to see more than a gaddamn field before Im convinced the world is safe. "
    This.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel
    @ryanwho: I didn't play Reach due to knowing the entire plot, but that's me.  I figure Valve would surprise people with Earth's outcome at the end of Half Life.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By EuanDewar

I don't see the ending of the Co-Op as any reflection on the state of the earth,more as just showing that GLaDOS has all she needs to test FOOOOOOOOOORRRREVERRRR. I.e no more GLaDOS.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Sup fools,

• At the end of Portal 2 the world is fine and safe.  Portal 2 takes place after Episode 3.  Thus, John Freeman and his brother saved the world.  
    • At the end of Portal 2 co-op, you see that ending.  Could this mean that humans are dead or left the planet, or just used as subjects?

Portal 2 confirms the Earth is saved right?  So what's the point of Episode 3 when we know how it'll end.
    "
    Where did it say portal took place before or after Half life? I must have missed it. 
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EuanDewar
    @The_Laughing_Man: Portal 1 takes place roughly around the time of Half Life 2 so with the large gap inbetween Portal 1 and 2 its safe to assume that fight is over.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @EuanDewar said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Portal 1 takes place roughly around the time of Half Life 2 so with the large gap inbetween Portal 1 and 2 its safe to assume that fight is over. "
    Where does it say that? I cant recall that. 
    FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By FengShuiGod

Yeah, it doesn't MEAN the world is safe. It kinda hints at it from what we know now, but nothing is for certain. The writers leave things loose to give themselves working room. All we really know is that it's after the first game.  From the look of the destruction to the Aperture Science facility, it takes place anywhere from decades to a few hundred years. Anymore than that and I think the decay would be more severe. And less and it would look more pristine.

If the ending is a lot after the end of Portal 1, the world is probably safe because the Combine were using up the worlds water supply, and polluting everything. Fields like that don't grow without water.

But Portal 2 might be taking place more around the time of Half-Life 2, in which case the destruction has not been severe enough to stop that kind of growth. Although the developers have said the game takes place way after the events of the first game, it's possible that they change it to take place around the time of HL2. Or they are lying to us and it really does take place closer to the time line of HL2.

Of course, all of this is assuming that what we saw was real, and isn't another elaborate test chamber that looks like the outside.

But we at least know that as of Portal 2 the world hasn't been destroyed, which seems to be good news. Maybe all humans were wiped out fighting the Combine, but it seems the Combine are not there (defeated), or have not had enough time to totally mine the planet of it's resources.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EuanDewar
    @The_Laughing_Man: It came out in the Timeline Erik Wolpaw wrote out last year, its not been said previously in any of the games, here's the full timeline. (although it needs a bit of updating)
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Or portal 2 could be far far in the future where both sides blew each other up and nature has taken over. 

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FengShuiGod
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @EuanDewar said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: Portal 1 takes place roughly around the time of Half Life 2 so with the large gap inbetween Portal 1 and 2 its safe to assume that fight is over. "

Where does it say that? I cant recall that.  "
    The developers have said that Portal 1 takes place sometime between Half-Life 1 and 2. Makes sense because no one can come to help Aperture Science when GlaDos floods the place with poisoned gas (the rest of the world is dealing with portal storms or the Combine invading).

http://kotaku.com/#!5781121/valve-plans-to-bridge-portal-and-portal-2-with-a-surprise-keep-gordon-freeman-out-of-it
    (4th paragraph)
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @FengShuiGod said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @EuanDewar said:

The developers have said that Portal 1 takes place sometime between Half-Life 1 and 2. Makes sense because no one can come to help Aperture Science when everyone is poisoned because the rest of the world is dealing with portal storms or the Combine invading.

http://kotaku.com/#!5781121/valve-plans-to-bridge-portal-and-portal-2-with-a-surprise-keep-gordon-freeman-out-of-it
    (4th paragraph) "
    That doesnt lead anywhere. Just to their main site...
    FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FengShuiGod
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @FengShuiGod said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @EuanDewar said:

The developers have said that Portal 1 takes place sometime between Half-Life 1 and 2. Makes sense because no one can come to help Aperture Science when everyone is poisoned because the rest of the world is dealing with portal storms or the Combine invading.

(4th paragraph) "
    That doesnt lead anywhere. Just to their main site... "
    Really? I cleared my cache and everything, and the link worked. I then cleared everything again, and I copypasted it in the URL bar instead and it worked. Weird. You can copypaste it into Google and the second result is it. Also, I'll try again HERE.

If that doesn't work it must be Giantbomb or I just dropped about 70 IQ points.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.