Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Why?

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mano521

i just dont know why people want ODST sooo bad. i dont plan on getting it because its 60 dollars. Its got a 5 hour long campaign. I already have all these maps. and im sure theyre going to eventually make those other three maps accesible to the public. all it has different is firefight and a campaign, which hardly seems like its worth 60 dollars 

id like to hear opinions on why you did get this game or if you agree
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bubahula

do we really need more threads about this?
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

I guess you have to be into Halo to really to enjoy the game.   

I agree that a short campaign and one new mode is not worth $60, but then again I am not a huge Halo fan.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mano521
    @Bubahula:
    yes
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@Bubahula said:
    " do we really need more threads about this? "
    No, no we don't.
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mano521
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell:
    you arent answering    why go in a thread. and not answer the main question? if you are already in the thread you might as well say something productive
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By calidan777

1) If you don't own the game the how do you know how long it is? I am on my second play through and can say it took more than 5 hours.
    2) No, you don't already have all these maps and according to Bungie the new maps will NOT be made available on Live.
    3) "all it has different is firefight and a campaign, which hardly seems like its worth 60 dollars" . Really? You don't think that a game with a campaign mode, co-op multiplayer and full multiplayer is worth being a regular priced game? There have been plenty of regular priced games with far shorter single player campaigns and no multiplayer at all, why not complain about them?
       I'm sick of this issue, if you don't think it's worth it then don't buy it. Plain and simple.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By breadfan
    @calidan777 said:
     you don't think that a game with a campaign mode, co-op multiplayer and full multiplayer is worth being a regular priced game?    
    That full multi player IS the same as Halo 3's.  Why pay $60 for something that is available in another game for less money?
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    " @Bubahula said:
    " do we really need more threads about this? "
    No, no we don't. "
    Agreed, but I'll answer anyway.
    Look, 60 dollars is how much 360 games are for the most part.  As many people have said, a game like Batman: Arkham Asylum costs 60 dollars and all it has is a single campaign and some challenge maps.  Does that mean that the price point is not justified?  No, the game is stellar and I'm sure the people who made it would want their product selling at the recommended price point. 
    Now, Halo: ODST has a campaign that, if you spend any time exploring the city or taking in the atmosphere, lasts about 6 hours.  It also contains a new mode and the entire Halo 3 multiplayer suite on a disk.  Draw your own conclusions as to whether or not that justifies its price point. 
    This is essentially fan service.  Halo fans will love the new campaign and it is varied and well made enough that even non-fans can find something to like.  Period.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By buzz_clik

If you have to ask, mano521, then you'll probably never know. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you were the kinda person this product's made for, the answer would already be a foregone conclusion. You'd have plonked down your $60 and been taters deep in Firefight already.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By buzz_clik
    @ImperiousRix said:
    " This is essentially fan service.  Halo fans will love the new campaign and it is varied and well made enough that even non-fans can find something to like.  Period. "
    Yup.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By calidan777
    @Br3adfan said:

" @calidan777 said:

you don't think that a game with a campaign mode, co-op multiplayer and full multiplayer is worth being a regular priced game?    
    That full multi player IS the same as Halo 3's.  Why pay $60 for something that is available in another game for less money? "
    Well if you don't already own Halo 3 then that is a big bonus. How much is Halo 3 now, $40? Don't forget that the multiplayer disc has every map ever released for download, so if you bought Halo 3 AND all the map packs then no, it is not less money. Plus if your buying ODST then chances are your not buying it just for the Halo 3 multiplayer disc.
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mano521
    @calidan777:
    1) true i have never played it. but i am listening to the several reviews that say "Very short Campaign"  every single one of them do 
    2) yes i do. i have every halo 3 map except those 3 new ones. i dont know how you can tell me i dont lol. And personally i dont think that a 10 dollar map pack is worth the 60 it takes to get them. 
    3) and no i dont think it is worth it to have a short campaign and a co-op aspect to that same campaign. i already have the multiplayer. i think odst is more of an expansion than a full on game. hardly any graphical upgrades were made. same engine. 2 new weapons. big deal.    

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By breadfan
    @calidan777 said:
    chances are your not buying it just for the Halo 3 multiplayer disc.
    If your not buying it for the multiplayer, aside from Firefight, there really isn't that much in the package.   

Sure I'll admit that Halo isn't my favorite series so I'm not one to go out and buy it day one.  However I just cannot see the full appeal of spending $60 on essentially an expansion pack.  Sorry, that's just me.  I'm not trying to say anyone who did is wrong, we just see things differently.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By calidan777
    @mano521 said:
    " @calidan777: 1) true i have never played it. but i am listening to the several reviews that say "Very short Campaign"  every single one of them do 2) yes i do. i have every halo 3 map except those 3 new ones. i dont know how you can tell me i dont lol. And personally i dont think that a 10 dollar map pack is worth the 60 it takes to get them. 3) and no i dont think it is worth it to have a short campaign and a co-op aspect to that same campaign. i already have the multiplayer. i think odst is more of an expansion than a full on game. hardly any graphical upgrades were made. same engine. 2 new weapons. big deal.     if you honestly cant handle responding to the thread in a smart way then just dont buddy "
    I'll say again, you don't already have all these maps if you don't have the three exclusive to ODST, that was my point. Your icon looks like a Modern Warfare 2 logo, maybe I shouldn't buy it because it's being made on the Modern Warfare 1 engine and I might be able to get through the campaign in under 10 hours. 

If all your gonna do is make a thread trolling ODST then just don't buddy.
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mano521
    @calidan777:

im not trying to insult anybody here dude. im just wondering what people were thinkin that made them buy this game. was it purely because they are fans? and anyways i know this isnt the point but mw2 is made from scratch. new engine and everything. campaign can possibly be short but its made several improvements. 

anyways im not here to talk about that. i dont know why you brought it up.point is, im just trying to understand your thought process. cuz the only reason i could think of buying this game is that you would have to be a halo fanboy
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By breadfan
    @calidan777 said:

" @mano521 said:

" @calidan777: 1) true i have never played it. but i am listening to the several reviews that say "Very short Campaign"  every single one of them do 2) yes i do. i have every halo 3 map except those 3 new ones. i dont know how you can tell me i dont lol. And personally i dont think that a 10 dollar map pack is worth the 60 it takes to get them. 3) and no i dont think it is worth it to have a short campaign and a co-op aspect to that same campaign. i already have the multiplayer. i think odst is more of an expansion than a full on game. hardly any graphical upgrades were made. same engine. 2 new weapons. big deal.     if you honestly cant handle responding to the thread in a smart way then just dont buddy "
    I'll say again, you don't already have all these maps if you don't have the three exclusive to ODST, that was my point. Your icon looks like a Modern Warfare 2 logo, maybe I shouldn't buy it because it's being made on the Modern Warfare 1 engine and I might be able to get through the campaign in under 10 hours.   If all your gonna do is make a thread trolling ODST then just don't buddy. "
     He clearly said in his reply to you that he has all of the available maps for Halo 3 that are currently available without ODST.  Chill out. 

Where is this 'he has a Modern Warfare 2 icon so he isn't justified to have an opinion' coming from?  You have a Halo avatar does that mean we should invalidate your opinion because you clearly like Halo enough to buy ODST. No.  

People look for any reason to bicker about a subject.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @Br3adfan said:
    " @calidan777 said:

" @mano521 said:

I'll say again, you don't already have all these maps if you don't have the three exclusive to ODST, that was my point. Your icon looks like a Modern Warfare 2 logo, maybe I shouldn't buy it because it's being made on the Modern Warfare 1 engine and I might be able to get through the campaign in under 10 hours.   If all your gonna do is make a thread trolling ODST then just don't buddy. "
     He clearly said in his reply to you that he has all of the available maps for Halo 3 that are currently available without ODST.  Chill out.   Where is this 'he has a Modern Warfare 2 icon so he isn't justified to have an opinion' coming from?  You have a Halo avatar does that mean we should invalidate your opinion because you clearly like Halo enough to buy ODST. No.   People look for any reason to bicker about a subject. "
    Which is pretty much why this thread just kinda has to die.  I feel the TC is just getting antagonistic at this point, and there are some people lurking who just wanna keep giving him more amunition.
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mano521
    @ImperiousRix said:
    "@Br3adfan said:
    " @calidan777 said:

" @mano521 said:

He clearly said in his reply to you that he has all of the available maps for Halo 3 that are currently available without ODST.  Chill out.   Where is this 'he has a Modern Warfare 2 icon so he isn't justified to have an opinion' coming from?  You have a Halo avatar does that mean we should invalidate your opinion because you clearly like Halo enough to buy ODST. No.   People look for any reason to bicker about a subject. "
    Which is pretty much why this thread just kinda has to die.  I feel the TC is just getting antagonistic at this point, and there are some people lurking who just wanna keep giving him more amunition. "

ok im new at this and im not trying to start any fights here. im just trying to find out why people are buying this game. soooo. yea
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Wolswor

People shit a brick that valve creates Left4Dead 2, but Halo 3 ODST is a brand new fresh game? Lawl.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By calidan777
    @Br3adfan said:
    " @calidan777 said:

" @mano521 said:

Yeah, I know he said in his reply that he had all the maps except for the new ones, my point was that the reason I originally said that no, he didn't have them all was  because in his original post he said he "already had all those maps". I brought up the Modern Warfare 2 thing because I've noticed alot of CoD fans bashing ODST for some reason, personally I love Modern Warfare  and Halo. This thread just seems like a way to troll ODST.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

Game isnt worth paying for at all...so rent it if you want to try it.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mano521
    @Wolswor:
    thank you.      like at least l4d2 made major graphical improvements, new weapons , new modes, new infected types, tons of new stuff.   odst is just like... the same with a few added skins and weapons 

i dont know  :/
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mano521
    @calidan777 said:
    Yeah, I know he said in his reply that he had all the maps except for the new ones, my point was that the reason I originally said that no, he didn't have them all was  because in his original post he said he "already had all those maps". I brought up the Modern Warfare 2 thing because I've noticed alot of CoD fans bashing ODST for some reason, personally I love Modern Warfare  and Halo. This thread just seems like a way to troll ODST. " 
    you again. didnt read the next part of the sentence saying "except the 3 new maps"   and im not bashing it at all. im trying to understand why you would buy it. and so far you arent explaining yourself at all
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By calidan777
    @mano521 said:
    " @calidan777 said:
    Yeah, I know he said in his reply that he had all the maps except for the new ones, my point was that the reason I originally said that no, he didn't have them all was  because in his original post he said he "already had all those maps". I brought up the Modern Warfare 2 thing because I've noticed alot of CoD fans bashing ODST for some reason, personally I love Modern Warfare  and Halo. This thread just seems like a way to troll ODST. " 
    you again. didnt read the next part of the sentence saying "except the 3 new maps"   and im not bashing it at all. im trying to understand why you would buy it. and so far you arent explaining yourself at all "
    Look, your obviously down on the game so why do you want people to tell you why they like it? Will me telling you that I think it's an awesome game that's worth every penny make you decide to go out and buy it? If so then here ya go:
    1) Great gameplay
    2)Great story
    3)Great music
    4)Great characters
    5)Great multiplayer
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mano521
    @calidan777 said:
    " @mano521 said:
    " @calidan777 said:
    you again. didnt read the next part of the sentence saying "except the 3 new maps"   and im not bashing it at all. im trying to understand why you would buy it. and so far you arent explaining yourself at all "
    Look, your obviously down on the game so why do you want people to tell you why they like it? Will me telling you that I think it's an awesome game that's worth every penny make you decide to go out and buy it? If so then here ya go: 1) Great gameplay 2)Great story 3)Great music 4)Great characters 5)Great multiplayer "

being skeptical on whether or not buying the game is different from being down on it. and im not asking why you like the game. im asking why you bought it. how could you be sure it was worth your money. because it really doesnt seem like it at all. im sure the story and campaign would be fun. but it seems more like a rental to me.                      and once again, multiplayer is the exact same as the one i already own
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Zereta

Game is a good solid 7 hours on Heroic solo, Firefight is awesome and best iteration of the Survival Mode concept to date and Halo 3's Multiplayer is still awesome. Forge, Screenshots, the impressive as hell Theater Mode and Bungie's amazing Online integration and Stats Tracking, Things everyone takes for granted, especially the theater mode, all make this one hell of a package.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By calidan777
    @mano521 said:

" @calidan777 said:

" @mano521 said:
    " @calidan777 said:
    Look, your obviously down on the game so why do you want people to tell you why they like it? Will me telling you that I think it's an awesome game that's worth every penny make you decide to go out and buy it? If so then here ya go: 1) Great gameplay 2)Great story 3)Great music 4)Great characters 5)Great multiplayer "
    being skeptical on whether or not buying the game is different from being down on it. and im not asking why you like the game. im asking why you bought it. how could you be sure it was worth your money. because it really doesnt seem like it at all. im sure the story and campaign would be fun. but it seems more like a rental to me.                      and once again, multiplayer is the exact same as the one i already own "
    How can you be sure that any game you've never played is gonna be worth your money? I bought it because all the other Halo games have been worth it so why would I all of the sudden think that Bungie would drop the ball? Yeah the Halo 3 multiplayer disc is the exact same, but Firefight is completely different from anything that's ever been in a Halo game.Look I'm not tryin' to be a dick to you and I understand that your new to the site, but this is a topic that has been beat to death on this site. So I mean, you say it seems like a rental to you anyway, so why not rent it and see for yourself. Maybe you like it, maybe you don't, but at least you know for sure.
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mano521
    @calidan777:
    mkay sounds good

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.