Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

Beautiful new track from Halo 4.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By big_jon

This is by far the best track yet, the beginning of it was in one of the trailers, and I was really excited to hear the full track, well here it is, I think this lives up to the past Halo music for sure.

This song paints such a clear picture of mystery, wonder, and beauty in my mind, it is simply incredible in my eyes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Whew, was worried when I realized Marty wouldn't be in charge of the music, but everything's going to be A okay.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Alright, before posting this; let me make it clear that I'M NOT a halo-fan. I loved Halo 1 to death; thought it was a brilliant, brilliant game. Halo 2 on the other hand possessed none of the atmosphere that the first game had simply been oozing out. Halo 1 was a fresh take on the genre, and Halo 2 was Halo 1 again. Then Halo 3 was Halo 2 again; and round and round it goes. I simply find myself unable to be excited by Halo at this point as it's lost it's spark (queue game-reference pun). That said, I think the games in the series always had very epic music that certainly made you feel empowered. It felt alien, yet grand and collosal. "I'mma' shoot me some Aliens, and it will be majestic!"

Now I hate to be that duder, man; but this reminds me to schocking degrees of a very dumbed down version of Jonny Greenwood's "Body Song". Or hell, his soundtrack for "Norwegian Wood", or for "There Will Be Blood". I mean, you got a lot of ambient sound; grand orchestral instruements cutting through, and some random shit just thrown in for good measure. It sounds like what you'd expect from a Halo game, and for what it is, it's great; something to set the mood before/after you murder the millionth and fourth covenant but it's been done, and it's been done far, far better. So I can't help but to unfavabourably compare it to soundtracks from games such as Bastion and Superbrothers Swords & Sorcerey EP that truly excelled in the music department to the degree that it became an utterly essential part of the experience.

Now if you like this, good for you, man! Get stoked about that game you're excited for. I personally still play The Starcraft 2 Terran theme on my guitar from time to time; but do explore a few other alternatives; you might find something else that you truly enjoy.

Edit: Before people hurl stuff at me; my personal opinion, you don't have to agree and I don't have to agree with you. I'm allowed an opinion! I am.. Wait, no, put that down.. Why would you.. No, get back.. Get back! NO! GET BACK! Please, I..I.. OH, GOD NO, NOT MY FACE! NOT MY BEAUTIFUL FACE! AAAAARGGHHHH!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Sounds good, just missing the sound effects of Chief punching Elites in the teeth though.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By big_jon

@TaliciaDragonsong: True.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By DoctorWelch

Halo's music has always put shivers down my spine like orchestral music does when it is truly top notch. When it comes to music like this, I really don't think there is any franchise that comes close to Halo.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By veektarius

@Do_The_Manta_Ray: I'm sorry, but there was this gaping chasm in your face, and, well, I thought this baseball bat might plug it up pretty well...

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah. Halo 4 is going to be good.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Cloudenvy

I don't know, as a dude who is a pretty big fan of previous Halo soundtracks, this didn't do much for me. Then again, I didn't like Reach's soundtrack that much either and my favorite Halo game is ODST so perhaps you should just ignore everything I say!

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pweidman

OK..... big_jon, it's your job to make this wait even harder I guess.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kermoosh

that was really nice. i love marty but this guy is worthy of being a halo music composer (judging from this one score at the least)

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By impartialgecko

@Cloudenvy: Totally with you. ODST was fantastic for changing up the structure and tone of the Halo series. Of course, CE is seminal and all but ODST was the most interesting risk that series has taken unless Halo 4 pulls something crazy on us

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By big_jon

@Cloudenvy: My Halo soundtrack rankings.

1. Halo 2
    2. Halo: Reach
    3. Halo CE
    4. Halo 3: ODST
    5. Halo 3
    6. Halo Wars (Still good soundtrack)
    Wheady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By Wheady

its different for a halo game, but i like it! cant wait to hear the full soundtrack!

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

Between the campaign/multiplayer footage from E3 and this song, my body is definitely ready for Halo 4.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Phatmac

You should be paid by Microsoft :P Every halo thread or news on here is usually done by you. Anyway I'm liking the soundtrack so far. As much as I love Marty's previous Halo scores, I'm excited to see what Halo 4 can do musically. Also have to say that the sound design so far is great. I usually don't notice it unless it's great.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm

Generic slow piano and orchestral work... what's not to love?

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AngelN7

Ehh It's no Marty's work but Is Halo-ish alright , I thought Reach did a great job in closing the best of Halo soundtracks , even though ODST is probably my favorite of the series (the soundtrack not the game).

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By big_jon

@Phatmac: Giantbomb just does not keep up on Halo stuff, I follow the news very closely, so I guess I feel it is my role to keep the duders informed, because I feel I have a small ownership over our community, as we all do, so I need to keep up on my end I guess.

CouncilorChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CouncilorChief

The track was absolutely beautiful, it wonderfully conveys that sense of foreboding wonder and mystery. He's not Mary O'Donnell, but he's an excellent replacement so far. Now let's just hope the game is as good as its soundtrack.

@Napalm said:

Troll much?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm

@CouncilorChief said:

@Napalm said:

Troll much?

Honest much?

I was way more into the space synth stuff that was released with all that concept footage than generic orchestral work that I've heard a million times before.

CouncilorChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CouncilorChief

@Napalm said:

@CouncilorChief said:

@Napalm said:

Troll much?

Honest much?

I was way more into the space synth stuff that was released with all that concept footage than generic orchestral work that I've heard a million times before.

It's quite clear you have an agenda as you've often posted on a lot of Halo threads.

And yeah, when has it ever been a bad idea to compose ochestra score in sci-fi? From what I remember, popular sci-fi franchises like Star Wars and Star Trek also use an orchestral soundtrack. Its not generic, it's traditional and there is nothing wrong with it.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@big_jon said:

1. Halo 2
    3. Halo CE
    5. Halo 3

Good list. Man I love that Reach theme.

Was great getting something different from the main halo theme. I liked the ODST theme but wasn't super kicked on it.

Everything I've heard from 4 sounds really great.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By napalm

@CouncilorChief said:

@Napalm said:

It's quite clear you have an agenda as you've often posted on a lot of Halo threads.

Says the guy with a Halo avatar, with a Halo username, in a Halo topic.

Seriously. Halo 4 is shaping up to be everything I don't want in a Halo game. I have a different opinion, and you didn't need to reply my original post, so get out of my face.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By big_jon

@Napalm said:

@CouncilorChief said:

@Napalm said:

Troll much?

Honest much?

Yeah, generic can be said about virtually anything, that really isn't a very strong criticism.

It is fine that is your opinion but i don't see your point, I think it sounds great, nothing like I have heard before.

CouncilorChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CouncilorChief

@Napalm said:

@CouncilorChief said:

@Napalm said:

Says the guy with a Halo avatar, with a Halo username, in a Halo topic.

Seriously. Halo 4 is shaping up to be everything I don't want in a Halo game. I have a different opinion, and you didn't need to reply my original post, so get out of my face.

There's also a difference between stating an opinion and posting a snide remark that's obviously a flamebait. Even if I do have a Halo username and avatar, it's not my all time video game franchise. I just happen to be a Halo fan.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By zombie2011

Great stuff, but it's a Halo soundtrack so you know it's gonna be awesome. Even ODST which seemed like a side project during Reach, had an amazing soundtrack. Probably my favorite after Halo 2 and Reach.

I hope they have a variation of the Halo theme, it's a numbered Halo game so they have to right?

CouncilorChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CouncilorChief

@Do_The_Manta_Ray said:

Alright, before posting this; let me make it clear that I'M NOT a halo-fan. I loved Halo 1 to death; thought it was a brilliant, brilliant game. Halo 2 on the other hand possessed none of the atmosphere that the first game had simply been oozing out. Halo 1 was a fresh take on the genre, and Halo 2 was Halo 1 again. Then Halo 3 was Halo 2 again; and round and round it goes. I simply find myself unable to be excited by Halo at this point as it's lost it's spark (queue game-reference pun). That said, I think the games in the series always had very epic music that certainly made you feel empowered. It felt alien, yet grand and collosal. "I'mma' shoot me some Aliens, and it will be majestic!"

Now I hate to be that duder, man; but this reminds me to schocking degrees of a very dumbed down version of Jonny Greenwood's "Body Song". Or hell, his soundtrack for "Norwegian Wood", or for "There Will Be Blood". I mean, you got a lot of ambient sound; grand orchestral instruements cutting through, and some random shit just thrown in for good measure. It sounds like what you'd expect from a Halo game, and for what it is, it's great; something to set the mood before/after you murder the millionth and fourth covenant but it's been done, and it's been done far, far better. So I can't help but to unfavabourably compare it to soundtracks from games such as Bastion and Superbrothers Swords & Sorcerey EP that truly excelled in the music department to the degree that it became an utterly essential part of the experience.

Now if you like this, good for you, man! Get stoked about that game you're excited for. I personally still play The Starcraft 2 Terran theme on my guitar from time to time; but do explore a few other alternatives; you might find something else that you truly enjoy.

Edit: Before people hurl stuff at me; my personal opinion, you don't have to agree and I don't have to agree with you. I'm allowed an opinion! I am.. Wait, no, put that down.. Why would you.. No, get back.. Get back! NO! GET BACK! Please, I..I.. OH, GOD NO, NOT MY FACE! NOT MY BEAUTIFUL FACE! AAAAARGGHHHH!

I disagree with you but I respect your opinion because your criticisms were fair and valid. Therefore, a good example of criticizing Halo without coming off as a troll.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tesla

I like this track because it doesn't immediately "sound like Halo". Good stuff.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ch3burashka

Eh, super impressed, too slow for my Halo tastes. I want some ba-ba-ba-BUM in my Haloz.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By big_jon

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@big_jon said:

1. Halo 2
    3. Halo CE
    5. Halo 3

Good list. Man I love that Reach theme.

Was great getting something different from the main halo theme. I liked the ODST theme but wasn't super kicked on it.

Everything I've heard from 4 sounds really great.

This is a straight up incredible theme, when I went to PAX I got first question at the Halo universe panel, I got to tell him how amazing I thought Reach's soundtrack was, powerful, emotional, empowering, and sombre.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Brendan

ODST is still my favourite Halo game when it comes to music. Seriously, those nighttime songs were beautiful.

lord_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lord_x

Sorry I have to disagree. That track really sucks. While listening I wasn't even trying to compare it to some of the best music I've listened to in video games, and yet I was disappointed.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By big_jon

@Lord_X said:

Sorry I have to disagree. That track really sucks. While listening I wasn't even trying to compare it to some of the best music I've listened to in video games, and yet I was disappointed.

To each their own, why is this your first post?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By big_jon

@Do_The_Manta_Ray: I have to ask, do you actually think the Halo is the only game soundtrack I listen to?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By Ravenlight

No monk chants? No likes.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@CouncilorChief: Judging by your name, I'm not surprised you disagree with me, man, haha. That said, thanks for being civil about it, and as I said in my earlier post; to each their own. Halo certainly is a flavour all in it's own, and the fact that the series still remains unique to this day is, ofcourse, complimentary.

@big_jon: No, at first I was simply trying to be friendly and offer you a few suggestions, some similair and some not, that you might enjoy while expressing my opinion. After your response, I actually kinda' do think so; seemed sufficiently petty. Plus you seem to have written something negative to both of the fellas who disagreed with you, so far.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By big_jon

@Do_The_Manta_Ray: So asking if you think that I only listen to Halo OST's is petty? lolwut?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.